Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forgotten Irish movies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

American Women, released in the States as the Closer You Get. Dreadful scutter, an attempt at an Irish Full Monty.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0218112/

Great film, great soundtrack.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Leinsterblue

Two stick out for me ... The Actors with Michael Caine and Dylan Moran a really underrated film. And The Dead directed by John Huston an adaptation of the James Joyce book.

Two stick out for me ... The Actors with Michael Caine and Dylan Moran a really underrated film. And The Dead directed by John Huston an adaptation of the James Joyce book.

The dead is great. Good cameo by Frank too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Saltwater and The Actors were both works by Conor McPherson. His plays are better than his films, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The dead is great. Good cameo by Frank too.

Frank who?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Frank who?

Frank Patterson presumably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Frank who?
    Sidebottom obviously!

frank.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I still have Crushproof on DVD on my parent's house. It's from approximately 1998 and features Darren Healy as a gurrier who's just released from prison. He tries to see his baby son and he gets back together with his horse loving buddies. Michael McElhatton plays the head detective whose constantly a thorn in his side.
    It's not very good but it's fun in parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I still have Crushproof on DVD on my parent's house. It's from approximately 1998 and features Darren Healy as a gurrier who's just released from prison. He tries to see his baby son and he gets back together with his horse loving buddies. Michael McElhatton plays the head detective whose constantly a thorn in his side.
    It's not very good but it's fun in parts.

It's woeful and I awarded it the much sought after 3 Turkeys on my blog:https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/c/

A dark comedy (?) without any comedy. Northsiders, horses, dysfunctional parents (and gardai) and a surreal plot. Yet another, poorly directed, train wreck of a movie which would benefit from subtitles as it’s sometimes hard to understand what language is being spoken. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's woeful and I awarded it the much sought after 3 Turkeys on my blog:https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/c/

A dark comedy (?) without any comedy. Northsiders, horses, dysfunctional parents (and gardai) and a surreal plot. Yet another, poorly directed, train wreck of a movie which would benefit from subtitles as it’s sometimes hard to understand what language is being spoken. :D

Saw it at a film festival at the time it came out. The script is ridiculous, wasnt it written by a Yank?

Scrolling down your blog spotted Charlie Cassanova. The director got involved in a spat on Boards in a thread about that film.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056194451

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Johnathan Rhys Myers just before his Michael Collins moment. All I remember was his character was extremely unlikeable and there was this really weird musical segment with a guy who looked like Bono in his mid early 90s white makeup period singing a song about Finbar going missing.

My cousin can testify that Rhys Myers is a wanker in real life.

She worked in a video rental shop (when they existed) in Cork back in the day.
    Myers came in. All snotty and condescending. Didn't return the vids either. Tosser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Saw it at a film festival at the time it came out. The script is ridiculous, wasnt it written by a Yank?

Scrolling down your blog spotted Charlie Cassanova. The director got involved in a spat on Boards in a thread about that film.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056194451

I went down a serious rabbit hole on that Charlie C thread. Jaysus.

I completely forgot it even coming out. I definitely want to see it now though!

I've only walked out of one movie ever:

- The Great Gatsby

I regret not walking out of the The Dark Knight Rises and Fury Road.

Charlie Casanova sounds like a challenge. But if I can get through the sex scene in The Room I can get through anything [except the Great Gatsby].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,142 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Seventh Stream... 'Oirish' Hallmark fantasy romance filmed in Galway.

"A lonely widowed Irish fisherman meets a pretty mysterious woman who may just literally be the stuff of legends."

Scott Glenn and Saffron Burrows are the leads, followed by usual suspects on this forum such as Simon Delaney, Eamon Morrissey, Stanley Townsend as well as Fiona Shaw and John Lynch.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299134/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Seventh Stream... 'Oirish' Hallmark fantasy romance filmed in Galway.

"A lonely widowed Irish fisherman meets a pretty mysterious woman who may just literally be the stuff of legends."

Scott Glenn and Saffron Burrows are the leads, followed by usual suspects on this forum such as Simon Delaney, Eamon Morrissey, Stanley Townsend as well as Fiona Shaw and John Lynch.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299134/
    Some good talent in the cast but that sounds atrocious. A lot of Irish actors have to do stuff like this to pay the mortgage I'd say.

Some good talent in the cast but that sounds atrocious. A lot of Irish actors have to do stuff like this to pay the mortgage I'd say.
    Here's Colm Meaney dressed up as a leprechaun.

From the 1999 all time classic The Magical Legend of the Leprechauns.

tv_magical_01.jpg

That reminds of a quote from Michael Caine about starring in a dodgy Jaws sequel...
    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

And on the same theme:
    "You get paid the same for a bad film as you do for a good one."

Ironically he wasn't keen on being paired with a leprechaun in scenes from a Star Trek DS9 episode, so the character was changed to Rumpelstiltskin...
    And here he is, playing one!

tv_magical_01.jpg

I just realised that's Zoe Wannamaker with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

tv_magical_01.jpg

And if you can believe, it wasn't that bad a flick, enjoyable shoite, maybe I was inebriated, somehow think Randy Quaid was in it before I Google it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Looks like Zoë Wanamaker alongside . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

KaneToad wrote: »
    Eat the Peach

and

I went Down

I just realised they are both related to oral sex

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I remember Captive from the mid 80's, U2 tune called Walk to the Water on the soundtrack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

dd973 wrote: »
    I remember Captive from the mid 80's, U2 tune called Walk to the Water on the soundtrack.

Great tune. Remember it was on the B-side to With Or Without You. Didn't make the Captive soundtrack album which is otherwise excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

dd973 wrote: »

Is that where Heroine by Sinead and the Edge(realise how corny the name is when writing it) is from?

Is that where Heroine by Sinead and the Edge(realise how corny the name is when writing it) is from?
    I was on a tour of Sun Studios in Memphis where they showed us a collection of photographs of famous artists who had recorded there.

Included among them was U2 with BB King from the Rattle and Hum recordings.

An American girl beside me asked her boyfriend who they were. He said, "that's BB King, he's Bono, that's The Edge ......"

She cut him off mid sentence as she starting laughing uncontrollably

• Advertisement

Correct

Making-of anecdote about Strength And Honour thats much more entertaining than the film (click on audio)

https://corkfolklore.org/archivecatalolgue/document/210

Seeing as the link has disappeared the film in question was called Last Days In Dublin.

Don't think this ones been mentioned. Born For Hell (1976). Europudding B movie slasher about an American Vietnam vet murdering nurses in Belfast, as if the place wasn't mental enough at the time. Some of it shot in Dublin apparently, haven't seen it.

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

Severin released it on BD last year; not got round to buying yet. Saw it in the 1980s on video - GRIM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Bad day for the cut, 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I try to avoid Irish films particularly the northern ones as they always have to be connected to the conflict. As if you want to be reminded of this messed up place when watching a film. I certainly didn't watch the 'Belfast' film due to it being about the unionist community. Maybe that makes be a bigot, I don't care, I can watch what I like.

O'Neill of the Glen/Ó Néill an Ghleanna (shown in the Bohemian Picture House in Phibsboro, Dublin, in summer 1916, and advertised at the time as 'Ireland's first film": https://earlyirishcinema.com/2016/08/25/irish-audiences-watch-oneil-of-the-glen-august-1916/)

Robert J. Flaherty's Man of Aran (1934) [a very politically significant documentary at the time]

John Ford's The Informer (1935) [based on the Liam Ó Flaithearta book of the same name about an IRA man who informs and then goes through a Raskolnikov-style guilt; one of Ó Flaithearta's few books which were not banned]. It actually won four Oscars in the 1936 Academy Awards - the most that year - including Best Director and Best Actor. The Screenwriter, Dudley Nichols, also won an Oscar, and he became the first person to winner of an Oscar to refuse it.

Last nerdy fact: until Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2016, George Bernard Shaw was the only person to have won both an Academy Award and the Nobel Prize for Literature. His little-known Academy Award was given in 1939 for writing the script for the film version of his play Pygmalion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yermancmk

Hangdogroad... where can one see it these days?

I had a movie once in my DVD collection called Headrush which was a comedy from approx early 2000's. It started an actor called Gavin Kelty. He was in quite a few fairly obscure Irish movies from that time period although I haven't seen him in anything in years. The movie also had a cameo from Huey Morgan of the Fun Loving Criminals as a cross dressing gang boss.

Don't know tbh, I saw it circa 1997 at the Cork Film Festival. I doubt if its on any streaming sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yermancmk

Ah I thought you might have a version based on your comment.

It's totally unavailable and you are one of the very few people who were blessed to see it. My understanding is it won't ever be released. There were clips on The Blizzard of Odd but I can't find the episode.

Yeah I remember seeing that episode of DFTG too.

I dont think the Eliminator has ever received a home media release. It was good fun, wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Steven Berkoff and BP Fallon too

I was going to buy the DVD last week. The seller (based in Ireland) had quite a few titles (20+) I wanted. Sent him a message asking if he would combine postage as Ebay was defaulting to £5 per item. He replied saying "No sorry". Tosser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭HorseSea

A Kiss for Jed Wood 2011

Always thought the title should have changed, too much likely confusion with Jedward, who were popular at the time!

• Advertisement

I saw Eliminator in the IFC as far as I remember. Good fun. Sometimes confused with Accelerator that came out a couple of years after.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭juno10353

Angela's Ashes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Setting is dismal grey, always raining "like Blade Runner without the special effects"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You can feel the dampness and cold in your bones.

A bit like watching Lawrence of Arabia, but in that case you crave a seat in the shade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Assault of Darkness. About Bog Bodies.

Starring Vinnie Jones, awful stuff.

Strength and Honour is another sh!te Vinny Jones vehicle from around the same time which stars both himself and Michael Madsen as Traveller bare knuckle boxers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,041 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Robbed cars on fire off the banks of the Shannon. I saw winos fightin in the dark near Thomondgate . All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

• Advertisement

Its dreadful. The director is a right spoofer, was spinning some bullshit about making a biopic of Brian Borou with Leo Decaprio. Hasn't done anything of note since.

Advertisement