Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

High risk/cohort 7 - GP doesn't seem too interested

• 17-05-2021 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm someone (30's) with a BMI between 35 and 40 and from what I can see I'm high risk and should be able to get the vaccine right now.

But...when I called my GP about it I was told:

*They aren't doing any more first doses
    *They weren't vaccinating people in cohort 7
    *People with BMI between 35 and 40 weren't going in cohort 7 unless they had another medical issue
    *they had no way of putting me forward to get vaccinated

What they said about cohorts seems to disagree with what it clearly says on the HSE website, am I reading this correctly?

Have any of you in a similar position gotten the vaccine?
    If you did/have an appointment and it was in a vaccination centre (not GP office) can you tell me what the procedure was?

The GP office is generally a bit useless and past experience tells me that if I want a problem solved I'm going to have to show them the procedure in black and white...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It won’t matter what you show them if they aren’t doing any more vaccinating. If you can, find another GP locally which is doing cohort 7. BMI>35 is all that is required, not aN additional co-morbidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

Marcusm wrote: »
    It won’t matter what you show them if they aren’t doing any more vaccinating. If you can, find another GP locally which is doing cohort 7. BMI>35 is all that is required, not aN additional co-morbidity.

Hopefully that might be an option, but there seem to be people who have been referred to vaccine centres in cohort 7. Anyone know how this might work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    Hopefully that might be an option, but there seem to be people who have been referred to vaccine centres in cohort 7. Anyone know how this might work?
    Yes, but the GP has to make the referral. We are getting the same kind of runaround from my daughter's (and my own) GP. Actually, it seems it's the receptionist making these decisions which is totally unacceptable.

https://www.thejournal.ie/cohort-7-vaccine-5436621-May2021/

plodder wrote: »
    Yes, but the GP has to make the referral.
    It sounds like they don't know that they can do this or who to refer me to if they did. She told me "I don't know where to send the letter".

It sounds like they don't know that they can do this or who to refer me to if they did. She told me "I don't know where to send the letter".
    It's new. I presume it is done online through whatever system the GPs access. So, it's possible a lot of GPs don't know about it yet. Our GP (practice) does though and is just treating my daughter as some kind of chancer trying to skip the queue.

• Advertisement

It's new. I presume it is done online through whatever system the GPs access. So, it's possible a lot of GPs don't know about it yet. Our GP (practice) does though and is just treating my daughter as some kind of chancer trying to skip the queue.

Any idea where I can find official info on it?
    They won't be too interested in a journal article. I would need to spell out where and how.

Any idea where I can find official info on it?
    They won't be too interested in a journal article. I would need to spell out where and how.
    You could phone the HSE helpline and ask them the best way to deal with it. They were quite helpful to my daughter and told her about it.

Though, I think this might be one of the systems affected by the hacking incident.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/contact-the-hse/

LoCall: 1850 24 1850

Phone: 01 240 8787

You could phone the HSE helpline and ask them the best way to deal with it. They were quite helpful to my daughter and told her about it.

Though, I think this might be one of the systems affected by the hacking incident.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/contact-the-hse/

LoCall: 1850 24 1850

Phone: 01 240 8787

I was on the phone to them twice before posting this thread.

They were friendly and I think as helpful as they could be but said that they only provide info on the age-based registration system and didn't know anything else ( his exact words were that he didn't have any info that wasn't on the HSE public website)

Where do doctors go to get this info?

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭Chuzzle7

I got a similar response from my own doctor's surgery as well and don't know where I stand. Only because they're still vaccinating the over 70s and then have to move on to the very high risk and that's with deliveries every two weeks. Basically I was told that I won't be prioritized anytime soon.

Don't know how the HSE thinks we're ahead because GP's seem to be behind.

Only a few weeks ago some GPs were saying that they weren't going to vaccinate group 7, it was in the news. So what happens to these patients?

I read of a comment from a poster here a few days ago that said they were able to get vaccinated after ringing the covid vaccine number and telling them that the GP isn't vaccinating group 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A new referral pathway should be been in place by last Saturday.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    A new referral pathway should be been in place by last Saturday.

Is this part of the same HSE systems that were hacked at the weekend? Will that have had any effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is this part of the same HSE systems that were hacked at the weekend? Will that have had any effect?

Dunno. The "NAS" pathway for vaccinating over 70s involved an Excel spreadsheet (you can find it using Google), so I wouldn't expect too much sophistication!

Lumen wrote: »
    Dunno. The "NAS" pathway for vaccinating over 70s involved an Excel spreadsheet (you can find it using Google), so I wouldn't expect too much sophistication!

Well...that's encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Just seen on RTE that anyone in the high risk or very high risk category that has not yet received an appointment from the doc or hospital can register tomorrow.

So it looks like it will cover Cohort 7

Skippette wrote: »
    Just seen on RTE that anyone in the high risk or very high risk category that has not yet received an appointment from the doc or hospital can register tomorrow.

I wonder does it still have to be done through your GP?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They are back tracking now and its basically if you are 45-49 and not done yet by your GP... so cohort 7 irrelevent

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    They are back tracking now and its basically if you are 45-49 and not done yet by your GP... so cohort 7 irrelevent

But is it not relevant for those people under 45 that would fall in under cohort 7?

Taken from the HSE website:
    This invitation is for everyone in Ireland aged 45 to 49, including those who may be in another vaccine allocation group:

Frontline healthcare workers who haven’t got an appointment through their workplace
    People with very high-risk or high-risk health conditions (who haven’t been given an appointment through their hospitals or healthcare team)
    People who don’t have a PPSN can also be vaccinated and can register on the phone with HSElive

I wonder does it still have to be done through your GP?

Maybe but it says if you're waiting for an appointment. Maybe with the cyber attack the GP's are unsure of vaccine allocation? I'm only guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

But is it not relevant for those people under 45 that would fall in under cohort 7?

Taken from the HSE website:
    This invitation is for everyone in Ireland aged 45 to 49, including those who may be in another vaccine allocation group:

Frontline healthcare workers who haven’t got an appointment through their workplace
    People with very high-risk or high-risk health conditions (who haven’t been given an appointment through their hospitals or healthcare team)
    People who don’t have a PPSN can also be vaccinated and can register on the phone with HSElive

No, you need to be 45 to 49... it overrides everything else that follows.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was wondering. I read the first line of the below article and got bit confused as I was under the impression everyone in Cohort 7 could register from tomorrow onwards. I had hoped to register my sister tomorrow as she has an intellectual disability but looks like I can't for now.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0518/1222296-coronavirus-ireland/

• Advertisement

No, you need to be 45 to 49... it overrides everything else that follows.

Ah right, suppose I'll just have to keep waiting! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Who doesn't have a PPSN?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

arctictree wrote: »
    Who doesn't have a PPSN?

Some women may never have been issued one and use their husbands with a W suffix attached; which is basically not acceptable for any new uses.

https://www.gov.ie/en/policy-information/84e306-pps-number-phasing-out-of-w-numbers/

Everyone else old enough to get the vaccine in any cohort should have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

I know a guy living in the hills who has no PPS number he has never claimed a penny from the state.
    Who doesn't have a PPSN?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Who doesn't have a PPSN?

Could be the subject of a fun thread :D

Can I start by suggesting the Indian ambassador ?

( now this is pure speculation on my part...I have no idea how this all pans out for the diplomatic )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

I know a guy living in the hills who has no PPS number he has never claimed a penny from the state.

But surely he has some sort of income?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,658 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who doesn't have a PPSN?

Illegal immigrants. I know of one anyway, who's not from the cultural background you expect.

EU citizens who came here when old and don't want welfare.

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭Chuzzle7

I was wondering. I read the first line of the below article and got bit confused as I was under the impression everyone in Cohort 7 could register from tomorrow onwards. I had hoped to register my sister tomorrow as she has an intellectual disability but looks like I can't for now.

Basically going down through the ages regardless if you are high risk or not. They should prioritize people at high risk.

It's badly phrased. It might as well also say "if you have red hair" None of that is relevant. The only criteria that actually matters is age. There is definitely another pathway for high risk people under 49, but it's not through self-registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

Group 7 people are being vaccinated by GPs in certain areas.
    I know of 2 people who got dates for vaccination from their local GP in last few days.
    One has high BMI like OP and other has asthma.

Advertisement