Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man pleads guilty to €4 of cannabis

• 17-05-2021 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

What's this country coming to.

Taking someone to court for €4 of cannabis but ignore the rest of the **** being committed out there by serial criminals & scrotes?

The probation report & two random urine-analysis tests are going to cost hundreds. Plus Garda & court time.

What a waste!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40290185.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Catglee

Absolute joke.
    Shame on the judge for not laughing it out of court

wandererz wrote: »
    What's this country coming to.

Taking someone to court for €4 of cannabis but ignore the rest of the **** being committed out there by serial criminals & scrotes?

The probation report & two random urine-analysis tests are going to cost hundreds. Plus Garda & court time.

What a waste!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40290185.html

What did they ignore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Similar thing happened to the grandad who started Keoghs crisps. He was growing a bit in a greenhouse that someone saw from the road and they ratted him out. He was taking it for pain as well.

I guess everyone should just go on the knock-out drugs from the pharmacy instead of ingesting what is basically an unadulterated miracle herb, easily cultivated here in Ireland. Valuable use of garda time sentencing this dangerous criminal mastermind.

What an incredibly stupid thing to still be wasting law enforcement resources on in 2021. But I suppose it's easy to book this guy and not so easy to track down the gangs who take passports from Chinese people and enslave them in growhouses.

The revenue the exchequer could be making if only the pricks in the Dáil could pull their fingers out and tap this market which they, bafflingly, have not yet regulated. Just look at the massive success stories that decriminalisation has seen all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭wandererz

What did they ignore?

Lots of stuff.
    As one example,
    Just go into the D15 forum and read about the drug dealing Canada Goose wearing scrote/s who is/are impermeable.

What did they ignore?

Common sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭wandererz

What did they ignore?
    Common sense

That too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I once went to a wise man and asked how I would avoid going to court for cannabis possession and he gave me this amazing advice - don't carry around cannabis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

biko wrote: »
    I once went to a wise man and asked how I would avoid going to court for cannabis possession and he gave me this amazing advice - don't carry around cannabis.

If you need it close by, get a dog, and put cannabis up it's bum.

When the sniffer dog comes,the Gardai think he's just being romantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Absolute heros whoever got this case to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There has to be more to this story as reported by the Examiner.

The Gardaí don't just search your apartment with a warrant on a whim. He has 5 previous convictions for possession. This isn't a case of some random lad found with a spliff in his pocket. There has to be more to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,678 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If you need it close by, get a dog, and put cannabis up it's bum.

When the sniffer dog comes,the Gardai think he's just being romantic.
    You're going to smoke that afterwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Low hanging fruit, why deal with a scrote with 50 convictions who'll give you a hard time when you can do someone who won't give you grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

biko wrote: »

Wasn't carrying it around though - was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hobby farmer

Low hanging fruit, why deal with a scrote with 50 convictions who'll give you a hard time when you can do someone who won't give you grief.

How would the scrote have amassed those 50 convictions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You're going to smoke that afterwards?

It would want to be a quiet dog that would let u poke a lump of hash up its hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

How would the scrote have amassed those 50 convictions?

What?

I'm saying the guards would rather do someone that won't give them grief than deal with a scrote that has spent their life being a pest.

What?

I'm saying the guards would rather do someone that won't give them grief than deal with a scrote that has spent their life being a pest.

But if your scrote has 50 convictions then the guards are dealing with him very regularly, what’s your point? How do you know this person isn’t a scrote?

Lots of stuff.
    As one example,
    Just go into the D15 forum and read about the drug dealing Canada Goose wearing scrote/s who is/are impermeable.

These same Gardai at the same time? And isn't the dealer where those chap got his stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

What did they ignore?

They regularly and habitually ignore illegal cars parked on footpaths up and down the country.

BluePlanet wrote: »
    They regularly and habitually ignore illegal cars parked on footpaths up and down the country.

Do they? These particular Gardai? At this particular time? Must be difficult being the only Gardai in the whole country.

Or maybe, just maybe these Gardai were drugs unit and executed a drug warrant and have nothing to do with any other calls in the rest of the country at that time? A drug warrant that was not issued by a Judge because they suspected a small amount for personal use.

and while we are stretching it, maybe there are in fact thousands of tickets issued for parking? and theres an entire unit to deal with traffic? Now, supposing there was a TRAFFIC unit, do you think they spend their days dealing with drugs like a DRUG UNIT or dealing with traffic like a TRAFFIC unit?

why, lets have a STREET CRIME UNIT in plainclothes. They could concentrate on pickpockets and muggers. They would not identify themselves to deal with a parked car either the lazy ****es.

and lets not start on those detectives, going around investigating crimes, perpering files and going to court. Useless the lot of em*

*Only half joking about DDU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Meanwhile Nolan has allowed yet another nonce to walk free.

Some guy doing no harm to anyone with a pittance of cannabis gets an actual sentence. Absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Similar thing happened to the grandad who started Keoghs crisps. He was growing a bit in a greenhouse that someone saw from the road and they ratted him out. He was taking it for pain as well.

I guess everyone should just go on the knock-out drugs from the pharmacy instead of ingesting what is basically an unadulterated miracle herb, easily cultivated here in Ireland. Valuable use of garda time sentencing this dangerous criminal mastermind.

What an incredibly stupid thing to still be wasting law enforcement resources on in 2021. But I suppose it's easy to book this guy and not so easy to track down the gangs who take passports from Chinese people and enslave them in growhouses.

The revenue the exchequer could be making if only the pricks in the Dáil could pull their fingers out and tap this market which they, bafflingly, have not yet regulated. Just look at the massive success stories that decriminalisation has seen all over the world.

interesting that you post this when the matter was before the court again today, there was no mention of him taking it for pain in court (as far as I'm aware).

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Meanwhile Nolan has allowed yet another nonce to walk free.

Some guy doing no harm to anyone with a pittance of cannabis gets an actual sentence. Absolutely disgraceful.

Did you read the article at all? He hasnt been sentenced to anything yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Did you read the article at all? He hasnt been sentenced to anything yet

But he will be sentenced, it's extremely unlikely it'll be thrown out.

BluePlanet wrote: »

How do you know they habitually ignore “illegal cars”? How do you know they don’t issue non intercept fcpn’s? Unfortunately issuing a ticket doesn’t make the car vanish

Sonics2k wrote: »
    But he will be sentenced, it's extremely unlikely it'll be thrown out.

Well yeah, he pleaded guilty and if its anything other than walking free from court I would be amazed.

What did the nonse actually get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Well yeah, he pleaded guilty and if its anything other than walking free from court I would be amazed.

What did the nonse actually get?

Probably a lovely council house beside a school

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Probably a lovely council house beside a school

Possble so but not from the Judge. The comment was that a nonse walks free but this guy gets a sentence. I know the sentence part hasnt happened so I want to know about the nonse case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Common sense

Becoming increasingly endangered I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Common sense

Now hold up, wasnt the entire country up in arms because Gardai werent prosecuting absolutely everything they encountered?

Yes, yes they were.

Wasnt the ability of Gardai to deploy common sense questioned in the Dail? yes, yes it was.

In the name of 'accountability' arent Gardai now subject to prosecution and dismissal if they dont prosecute? Yes, yes they are.

Arent 4 serving and ex-Gardai currently before the courts for exactly that? yes, yes they are.

If you were in their shoes and the choice was between A, B or C, what would you pick? And theres no D alternative. This is it, this is the choice now

A, waste my time prosecuting this hash but still get paid and be subject to no grief

B, Hand it back and say nothing, its not worth the time and hassle but then get investigated by GSOC and anti corruption unit with the possible result of prosecution and dismissal hanging over you and possible happening

C, Throw it in the bin and say no more, its not worth the time and hassle but then get investigated by GSOC and anti corruption unit with the possible result of prosecution and dismissal hanging over you and possible happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I thought you had discretion when it came to cannabis these days, the law changed a while ago and he could have been let off with a caution. Has he previous, is that why it didn't happen?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/people-caught-with-cannabis-may-now-avoid-criminal-charge-1.4438472

I thought you had discretion when it came to cannabis these days, the law changed a while ago and he could have been let off with a caution. Has he previous, is that why it didn't happen?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/people-caught-with-cannabis-may-now-avoid-criminal-charge-1.4438472

According to the article, he has 6 previous convictions and its not discretion, Its now included in the adult caution system

"Mr Lee, 54, had six previous convictions, including five for possession of cannabis, the most recent dating from 2016."

It doesnt clarify if all 6 are for simple possession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That'll do it, so no discretion you have to give an adult caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Someone should do a Freedom of Information request on the total costs of this amazing sting. Between police hours/overtime courts fees and whatnot it will probably cost the public several thousand euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Shame on The Examiner for even reporting this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,049 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't see the need to plead guilty to 4 euros worth of cannabis - it's not like it can hear you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Stupid small amount, but that's the way it's going. As Niner said above, if you don't follow up you open yourself up to internal investigations, possibly prosecution and loss of your job. I left shortly before it was turning this way, as I had already let off a good few people with negligible amounts (threw it in the bin). If I was still serving and did that now, my job would be on the line. I know which option I would pick.

But Niner explained it well above. We need the government to legalise and tax this. I am a big fan of it, and I haven't touched alcohol (aside from 2 parties) in the last 5 years. I'm personally better for it. But also, as others have said, they didn't get a warrant hoping they'd only get €4 worth, but this person has 5 previous convictions that are cannabis related, but we've no idea if that's also €4 or €4000 worth. I will say from experience, you don't get a search warrant on a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I wonder is the reason the Garda prosecute these sort of low level crimes is because they are afraid to go after the big criminals ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Big Gerry wrote: »
    I wonder is the reason the Garda prosecute these sort of low level crimes is because they are afraid to go after the big criminals ?

Depending on the criminals, there may be some fear there. A local sergeant had some of the local gang (a prolific and well known thug group involved in large scale criminal activites) call to his house, he wasn't there, but his wife and 3 kids were. Said scrotes then went on to advise the wife that if sergeant didn't back off, they would burn the house down while they slept. It happens unfortunately.

Most likely this is a drugs unit case, so unsurprisingly it revolved around drugs. They obviously expected more, as no one would give a warrant if there was only going to a small bit. I'd say this lad was prosecuted because it was on the foot of a warrant and he has previous.

I’m sure that fear can play a part for some guards, we have to remember that when families etc come into play it may be difficult to get in these guys faces. However just because the offence is small time doesn’t mean the offender is.

In this case I haven’t a clue and I don’t want to throw shade on the man in the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,678 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Someone should do a Freedom of Information request on the total costs of this amazing sting. Between police hours/overtime courts fees and whatnot it will probably cost the public several thousand euros.
    But the central question, why did the guards mount this operation and what did they hope to achieve by it, won't be answered, because you can't discover operational matters about police investigations through an FoI request.

It's a safe bet that, when the guards mounted this operation, they were hoping to uncover more than simple possession of 4g. Whether they had a solid foundation for that hope, obviously, we don't know.

You don't persecute based on profit and loss.

It costs thousands to prosecute a simple case but I don't think people would be happy to know that any pickpocket, burglar, mugger or fraud would only be prosecuted if the stolen amount was greater than the cost.

Then there's non financial crimes to consider. No, you can't start allowing that to enter the equation.

No and it's been clearly explained already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lots of stuff.
    As one example,

Impermeable? Like waterproof?

Jaysus. That Canada Goose is just the thing with the weather we’re having…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Just leagalise the stuff, and we can all get on with our lives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I don't know, but I want my taxpayers money to be spent sensibly.
    I don't regard this as sensible use of taxpayers money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

our current approaches are clearly failing, an astonishing amount of public money is being wasted chasing this one

So when it's election time tell your td you want Gardai to have the ability to use discretion again like they used to

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    our current approaches are clearly failing, an astonishing amount of public money is being wasted chasing this one

While this is true, making something legal doesn't erase the cost of policing it.

Cigarettes, alcohol and fuel are all legal but there's a lot of time and money put into licensing, importation, quality control and enforcement still. Is it covered by the taxation? Probable but criminals will continue to operate by smuggling and undercutting the licensed options

jaxxx wrote: »
    Becoming increasingly endangered I'm afraid.

It’s extinct now, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

The Gardai never seem to arrest the Junkies who are selling drugs on Dublin's boardwalk every day of the week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement