Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irritating American names for things

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

764dak wrote: »
    Where did you get "Starbucks = Coffee"?

Localised here..where I live

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Aw Haw - yes
    Mm Mm - no

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Alooooominummmmm

Aluminum is what the discoverer called it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Axed for Asked
    I axed my Mom

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Someone living in a high rise apartment in Dublin will have an elevator. If they are in a flat, it will be a lift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

"awesome"...... just let me smack someone who says this!! Please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

NSAman wrote: »
    "awesome"...... just let me smack someone who says this!! Please!!

adjective. causing or inducing awe; inspiring an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, or fear: an awesome sight. exhibiting or marked by awe; showing reverence, admiration, or fear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

McGaggs wrote: »
    adjective. causing or inducing awe; inspiring an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, or fear: an awesome sight. exhibiting or marked by awe; showing reverence, admiration, or fear.

In US English it can mean : meets many of the mandatory requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

In US English it can mean : meets many of the mandatory requirements
    God forbid hyperbole and save us from all harm. Anyone who uses "awesome" frivolously is literally worse than Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One trend that is starting to really irritate me is missing out the "to" after "allowed", as in the following two headlines on the RTE news website ...

Partners to be allowed attend maternity appointments

Man allowed avoid quarantine to visit dying father

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

mikhail wrote: »
    God forbid hyperbole and save us from all harm. Anyone who uses "awesome" frivolously is literally worse than Hitler.

Literally. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Canola oil.
    The word "Rape" is not allowed in the food industry.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Literally. :pac::pac::pac:
    I was using literally literally, for hyperbolic effect, rather than figuratively like the stupid linguistic trend. I can't stand words that are their own antonym. English is confusing enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Measuring distance in hours spent driving.
    Distance in miles is a constant, whereas duration spent driving will obviously vary due to traffic, road conditions etc.

Plus, it reeks of a car dependent culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Definatelty rather sit on my arse than sit on my fanny, not that I have a fanny, but if I had one I wouldn't want to sit on it just in case it broke.

Anyway, arse has a much better, more rounded sound than either fanny or ass don't you think. You can certainly get your tongue around the arse word easier than either of the other two!

Fanny is much more suited to a lady's front bottom, don't know how or why the Americans got hold of it and moved it's location :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,757 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Write me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Write me.

Phone me, text me, message me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Phone me, text me, message me.

Phone me, page me, fax me 'til I'm silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

"Where are you at?". Why the need to throw in the redundant 'at' at the end? I heard two different people on RTÉ say it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Xerox- photocopy

As in can you Xerox these pages for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Not irritating, but a few differences to us:

- Not inserting "and" after "hundred" in a number, e.g. "one hundred fifteen".
    - Using "most" instead of "almost", e.g. "Most all Americans use most".
    - "Math" instead of "maths"

What I do find irritating is their non-standard phraseology when it comes to aviation (pilots and Air-Traffic Control). They choose to be different from the rest of the world, which can lead to problems for both foreign pilots at US airports but also for themselves, e.g.

- ATC using slang terms when issuing instructions, e.g. "make a right" instead of the "turn right" that is standard and is what would be known by non-native speakers. They have little patience for anyone not understanding them, which can be almost impossible with the speed that they speak at e.g. JFK.
    - Pilots saying "I'm declaring an emergency" instead of the standard "Mayday..." call. That wastes valuable time as the ATC invariably asks them to confirm they are in fact declaring an emergency, but also does not alert other pilots to the situation.
    - Incorrectly naming runways, e.g. "Runway nine" instead of "Runway zero-niner".

A bit of a weird gripe, I know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Xerox- photocopy

As in can you Xerox these pages for me.
    I've no problem with making brand names generic.

Hoover and photoshop are verbs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Is there a thread where you can complain about bad grammar and incorrect usage that isn’t necessarily Taken from the USA?
    I think there is one but I can’t find it.

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Is there a thread where you can complain about bad grammar and incorrect usage that isn’t necessarily Taken from the USA?
    I think there is one but I can’t find it.
    What's the point? The madlads will immediately take it off topic with a string of hilarious and original replies riddled with intentional misspellings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People who only know two adjectives,
    It's cool awesome,
    Maybe the worst are people who use bro every 2nd sentence
    Bro bro bro it gets annoying
    my fave youtuber if she likes something it's tight,
    That game is tight, this sing is tight
    It's annoying
    Irish people who only use USA slang , guys, cool,
    Please wff off,
    Unless you work for Google or Facebook why are pretending to be American
    We Irish have our own slang and its better than fake American slang

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mom - seems to be the standard term for mother amongst anyone here born after 1996 or so

It’s “mam” or “mum” - no ifs or buts...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

riclad wrote: »
    People who only know two adjectives,
    It's cool awesome,
    Maybe the worst are people who use bro every 2nd sentence
    Bro bro bro it gets annoying
    my fave youtuber if she likes something it's tight,
    That game is tight, this sing is tight
    It's annoying
    Irish people who only use USA slang , guys, cool,
    Please wff off,
    Unless you work for Google or Facebook why are pretending to be American
    We Irish have our own slang and its better than fake American slang

If theres anything worse than bro its brah/bruh. Seriously, who suddenly decides this is a thing?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Mom - seems to be the standard term for mother amongst anyone here born after 1996 or so

It’s “mam” or “mum” - no ifs or buts...
    Apparently "mom" was in use in pockets of Cork and the like forever and I've no reason to doubt it, but no way in hell was it in use on the East coast and Dublin. That's very much a learned from US TV/Media thing which got pulled into the suburban accent in much the same way the English "mum" had been and replaced it. The aping of an American accent has also replaced the aping of a received British English accent, though both are strangulated. In much the same way that "store" has replaced "shop". Yes we had shops like Dunnes Stores, but nobody went to the stooore in Ireland pre the late nineties, if not the noughties. "Mom" might come from west Cork Irish, but store didn't. On the motors forum hereabouts I've seen the occasional introduction of US car terms like "fender" instead of "wing", "firewall" instead of "bulkhead'.

Language and accents change and that's cool, I only get somewhat vexed when some claim they always spoke like this and don't own the obvious influence.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Measuring distance in hours spent driving.
    Distance in miles is a constant, whereas duration spent driving will obviously vary due to traffic, road conditions etc.

Plus, it reeks of a car dependent culture.

Ehh that is not just an American thing.
    It is also Canada and Australia I have found.

And it is because distances can be so vast between places and it actually is quite accurate if you obey speed limits.

People in Ireland often don't grasp the concept of how vast some countries are.

Telling someone a hundred miles is meaningless in the great vast expanses.

Adelaide to Alice Springs is 950 miles and you are only a hundred miles over half way to Darwin which is over a days driving.

Vancouver to Calgary is nearly 600 miles on Trans Canada.
    Calgary to Ottawa is around 2100 miles on Trans Canada.
    And you are still talking about another 900 miles to get out to Halifax in Nova Scotia.
    It takes days to drive across the place.

Oh and traffic is not usually an issue like here on our cr** roads outside of our motorways.
    Passing is not really an issue on the likes of the Alaskan highway or Stuart highway.
    Wildlife moreso. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Actually, it's very common in Ireland, too, just not in the great urban areas.

Advertisement