Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sold car yesterday, now buyer demand full refund

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Salim57774

banie01 wrote: »
    Exactly this.
    I wouldn't even discuss googling causes with the buyers.
    You sold the car, advised them of what you knew, they had the opportunity to inspect and chose to buy.

The OPs obligations as a private seller have been meet and tbh other than advising the buyers that the sale is final.
    I wouldn't be engaging any further.

Thank god i have all the communication done through Donedeal and every message is still here in case she comes up with any story.
    Hope the problem is minor, and she could easily fix it and that's it. If she comes back demanding full refund i will ignore it and that's it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Small point here, but don’t use the terms ‘buyer beware’ or ‘caveat emptor’ if you’re talking to the buyer. It implies guilt.

Just say the car was perfect since you got it, and if anything’s happened the car since they bought it that’s bad luck, but you have no interest in buying your own - now broken - car back.

End of story.

Thanks for this advice, its my first time having this issue and i don't know what to do that s why i have made this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Salim57774 wrote: »
    probably will be doing same thing as your friend, Thanks for your reply to my thread anyway.

My friend can be easily intimidated ,i think the buyer also picked this up at sale, he was worried about it so much he went to the guards and told them the whole story, they said ignore anymore messages from the buyer its a private sale so it would be sold as seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Was thinking of paying her some money as a goodwill but if this could mean admission of guilt then i wouldn't do anything.
    You saved me from this stupid mistake. Thanks for your advice.

The car is sold as seen, with NCT and tax, and it was driving perfect and never give any trouble before.

Don't pay anything, it's admitting liability,

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    My friend can be easily intimidated ,i think the buyer also picked this up at sale, he was worried about it so much he went to the guards and told them the whole story, they said ignore anymore messages from the buyer its a private sale so it would be sold as seen.

Thanks for mentioning this, I will definitely ignore it so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Something similar happened to me years ago, was a tractor not a car, guy bought it and a few weeks later phoned looking for his money back, told him it was OK when it left here, phoned multiple times after that and I ignored him, in the end up I called him and told him I looked forward to my say in court, never heard from him after that

Don't pay anything, it's admitting liability,

Im not paying anything and will be following all the advices here. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thanks for this advice, its my first time having this issue and i don't know what to do that s why i have made this thread.

You come across as a genuine thoughtful sort- I mean this in a nice way but lots of vultures out there think they can fleece a soft touch- especially a group together which can be quite intimidating. They sound like chancers to me tbh- see a young girl on her own selling a car and not used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

You get some chancers and scam artists on done deal/adverts and the like. I’ve never sold or bought a car on it but did sell camera equipment on it before and the exact same thing, they had it for a day before deciding I had ripped them off and the camera was broken and I was to give a full refund or they’d take me to court etc. A simple click of the block button will make them feck off fairly quickly and never give them your own address, do the meet up in a public place.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Out of curiosity, did you send off the owners cert to Shannon?

• Advertisement

Thank god i have all the communication done through Donedeal and every message is still here in case she comes up with any story.
    Hope the problem is minor, and she could easily fix it and that's it. If she comes back demanding full refund i will ignore it and that's it.

Screenshot or back up all of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Sounds a bit dodgy that you have the car less than 3 months and selling it.
    She was mad in the head to buy it. I wouldn't have gone near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

What type of car was it? I see vw mentioned

Meeoow wrote: »

They inspected it and had every chance to check it over. Same as buying any used car, always an element of risk involved.
    Seller mentioned insurance difficulties and had bought something smaller. Wouldn’t be unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

Meeoow wrote: »
    The reason was given in the first line of the OP. That is a genuine reason which I have come across several times before.

That’s important- always always do this as the seller yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

road_high wrote: »
    That’s important- always always do this as the seller yourself

I always bring a letter, post it there and then

But it makes little difference really

Once signed and money has changed hands what do you think the buyer can gain after

Tell them you paid the money off a loan you had so you no longer have it, and if they want to engage a solicitor (they wont) you look forward to hearing from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

KKV wrote: »
    Tell them you paid the money off a loan you had so you no longer have it, and if they want to engage a solicitor (they wont) you look forward to hearing from them.

No. Just don’t tell them anything. Just ignore them.

I always bring a letter, post it there and then

But it makes little difference really

Once signed and money has changed hands what do you think the buyer can gain after

Well I suppose if left in your own name it risks all kinds of hassle with parking and speeding fines in your name?

• Advertisement

Did they have a cork accent? Or another one, boss

You can see now why people try and sell cars from carparks rather than their homes even though it's on the VLC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

KKV wrote: »

Why resort to lying? That might bite you too.

Well I suppose if left in your own name it risks all kinds of hassle with parking and speeding fines in your name?

That happened my sister but lucky enough she had posted the change of ownership herself that day so they didn’t fine or penalty point her.

Once they signed it, it's sold

You just tell them it's sold, see ya

Once they signed it, it's sold

You just tell them it's sold, see ya

I know but Shannon wont know that until they get the change of ownership form so you’ll still be the registered owner and the conduit for any traffic fines etc so best do it yourself to avoid this

Yes i did

I know but Shannon wont know that until they get the change of ownership form so you’ll still be the registered owner and the conduit for any traffic fines etc so best do it yourself to avoid this

It's best to both drop it in a post box together

As it's more of a pain if the seller can't be bothered sending it for the buyer to rectify

For the seller it could be a mild inconvenience, but nothing more

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    What type of car was it? I see vw mentioned

Vw passat 1.4

Screenshot or back up all of these.

Will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭User1998

Don't think she even have my number, she have asked all the questions and talked through the DoneDeal chat. Will see what her mechanic say tomorrow. Hope it's a minor issue she can fix, and that's it but if she demanded refund i will be blocking her as i can't handle thinking of this issue all day anymore.

She doesn’t even have your number? Happy days. Just block her on Donedeal it only takes two seconds and you’ll never hear from her again

Advertisement