Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards in 1939

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Reality Cinema “Keeping up with the De Veleras” launches in picture houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Dickie10

should we think about splitting Cavan GAA in two to halt their dominanc of the Ulster championship? only a matter of time before they ruin the football championship wining 5 or 6 all irelands in a row, i propose north cavan and south cavan. although they will probably end up in every ulster final against each other. the GAA will soon be extinct in the like of Down and Tyrone and Armagh they wont win an ulster title ever i would think.

“Dickens’ A Christmas Carol Banned for Blasphemy by order of Archbishop.”

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Where's me Ma goin' to get a bit of sugar for me bottle. And safety pins for the nappies.

“Nuns Win Major Contract to Supply Canes to Department of Education”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

“Dickens’ A Christmas Carol Banned for Blasphemy by order of Archbishop.”

In what way is it blasphemous?

branie2 wrote: »
    In what way is it blasphemous?

Spoof headline in humorous thread, mocking the ridiculous grounds other books in that era were banned.

Some of the ultra conservatives of the era might have as easily taken a ludicrous view of supernatural ghostly goings on as they did about many other things that they arbitrarily banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

Hey Willy, just back from the trip and boy is Munich lookin' spick and span! A little eerie though. I stayed with my German friend, Neil. He has a radio and all. No good shows though, propaganda on every station. Can't wait to see some good talkies. Germany hasn't the variety. No Westerns. On the other hand we saw fireworks while I was there, some Nazi celebration, but you wouldn't miss the gossip, or the Brothers and Sisters.

I'll be goin' on the charabanc out to Ballycotton for a day at the seaside. I scrimped and saved enough for a brand new pair of shoes. Bought them off my boss, Mr. Doherty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Anyone know if foreigners can join the Werhmacht? Asking for a friend.

Not sure, but I hear the SS is looking for blue eyed boys.

• Advertisement

I think an Irish holiday is in order this year, all things considered.
    121.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cerveza wrote: »
    Is there a pup payment for the next world war?

It’s a WUP payment...

Actually that could be controversial... that also stands for Womble Underground Press... might confuse people.

Not sure, but I hear the SS is looking for blue eyed boys.

And blonde as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

saabsaab wrote: »
    What's a computer?
    A young lady* who is really good at sums. And multiplication and even long division. Fierce complicated stuff altogether.

*good steady job until she gets married.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Times were different. What did they do with Patrick :eek:

https://esbarchives.ie/2017/09/18/connecting-cork-to-the-national-grid/
    Patrick O’Connell supplied electricity in Carrigtwohill before 1927. He supplied 3 homes and businesses in 1931, and was acquired by ESB around 1938—1939.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I'm extremely confident that the Munich Agreement between Messrs Chamberlain and Hitler will hold.

The Germans are an entirely honourable nation and it would be a rum deal to hoodwink a sitting British Prime Minister.

Mr. Hitler is a bounder and a cad, but he understands the niceties of international agreements.

Yes. I'm looking forward to a wonderful 1940 Olympics.

6dH8GBt.jpg

“System maintenance notice:

The Boards are out of service until 17 May 1939. This is to facilitate an upgrade, involving recorking and painting of the message boards. Thumbtack supplies will also be replenished.

All queries should be sent to the postmistress and should include a stamped, self addressed envelope.”

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

IRA and Nazi collaboration.

Will television be popular, I wonder

• Advertisement

Will television be popular, I wonder

A wireless with pictures? That’ll never catch on! People enjoy going to the cinema for the newsreels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Whatever happened to that Willie Joyce lad from Salthill?

Whatever happened to that Willie Joyce lad from Salthill?

I believe he's working for the Germans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I'm extremely confident that the Munich Agreement between Messrs Chamberlain and Hitler will hold.

The Germans are an entirely honourable nation and it would be a rum deal to hoodwink a sitting British Prime Minister.

Mr. Hitler is a bounder and a cad, but he understands the niceties of international agreements.

Yes. I'm looking forward to a wonderful 1940 Olympics.
    Agreement between Britain, France, Germany and Italy.

I don't know about you lads, but I hope to get a bit of work done this summer, whatever about Herr Hitler.
    My brand new yoke for the job

553237.jpg

“Department of Health receives mysterious demand for ten pounds to secure release of filing cabinet key.”

“Department of Health receives mysterious demand for ten pounds to secure release of filing cabinet key.”

Crisis averted when they realise it can be opened with a butter knife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I've heard a rumour that are thinking of getting rid of the Bona Fides, surely not! Part & parcel of a decent night out.

I think a film about Saint Bernadette of Lourdes might be coming in the next few years

• Advertisement

The Church wants your old gold, any all Ireland medals and dead relatives wedding rings gathering dust,get them to the Bishop now, no point dwelling on the past your old gold will be melted down and used in the magnificent cathedrals of the future, prayers will be offered on your behalf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Any news on Eoin O'Duffy these days?

Went over to Spain on his holidays, hasn't really been heard from since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ODuffy-Blueshisrts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Eh lads, Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini just signed a "Pact of Steel" in Berlin. Wonder what this is all about.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Eh lads, Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini just signed a "Pact of Steel" in Berlin. Wonder what this is all about.

Wouldn;t worry about it too much - sure they have to get past Britain to get to us.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,135 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The failure of the Stresa Pact... maybe the Brits and French should have turned a blind eye to Italys invasion of Abyssinia. They didnt stop the invasion and have now pushed Italy into the German orbit.
    Or maybe they should have given the Italians a bloody nose. Might have made others sit up and take notice.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

ODuffy-Blueshisrts.jpg

Adolph isn't looking himself there.

In the paper this morning Hitler says he wants to move into Poland. Thought he was finished after the Sudetenland shenanigans last year. Could be an interesting summer!

It could lead to disaster

It could lead to disaster

Britain might declare war on Russia?

saabsaab wrote: »
    Britain might declare war on Russia?
    Or Germany starts a war with Poland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

All this talk of war is ridiculous, France could finish Germany without any help from Britain or anyone else. If Hitler steps out of line, he will be crushed in a matter of months.

(well 69 months anyway)

All this talk of war is ridiculous, France could finish Germany without any help from Britain or anyone else. If Hitler steps out of line, he will be crushed in a matter of months.

(well 69 months anyway)
    A suspiciously precise prediction.
    Not so much crushing - more like erosion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

No1 in the charts this week....I don't like this modern music at all,its too loud with rude words.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

upupup wrote: »
    No1 in the charts this week....I don't like this modern music at all,its too loud with rude words.

give me "On the Banks of the Wabash" anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

P&T to combine the telephone and the wireless.

Simply ground your portable telephone umbrella antenna, using any convenient lamppost, turn the handle and speak to the operator.

You can even listen to your favourite musical record disc on demand.

Remember to earth yourself properly to avoid risk of electrocution.

What ever will they think of next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

In the paper this morning Hitler says he wants to move into Poland. Thought he was finished after the Sudetenland shenanigans last year. Could be an interesting summer!

False flag!

(well 69 months anyway)

Yeah, not even the Germans are mad enough to go after the Maginot Line, it's near invincible. Think that keep Germans at bay alright.

They are going to steal France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Denmark, Norway, Poland, Yugoslavia, Albania and Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Yeah, not even the Germans are mad enough to go after the Maginot Line, it's near invincible. Think that keep Germans at bay alright.
    Funny though, since the Belgians have declared themselves neutral the French have suddenly realised that there is a rather large gap in their defences. The Maginot Line only goes to the Belgian Border. To be fair though, the impenetrable Ardennes should keep the German Army bottled up in time for the French army to mobilise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement