Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards in 1939

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Reality Cinema “Keeping up with the De Veleras” launches in picture houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

should we think about splitting Cavan GAA in two to halt their dominanc of the Ulster championship? only a matter of time before they ruin the football championship wining 5 or 6 all irelands in a row, i propose north cavan and south cavan. although they will probably end up in every ulster final against each other. the GAA will soon be extinct in the like of Down and Tyrone and Armagh they wont win an ulster title ever i would think.

“Dickens’ A Christmas Carol Banned for Blasphemy by order of Archbishop.”

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

Where's me Ma goin' to get a bit of sugar for me bottle. And safety pins for the nappies.

“Nuns Win Major Contract to Supply Canes to Department of Education”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

“Dickens’ A Christmas Carol Banned for Blasphemy by order of Archbishop.”

In what way is it blasphemous?

branie2 wrote: »
    In what way is it blasphemous?

Spoof headline in humorous thread, mocking the ridiculous grounds other books in that era were banned.

Some of the ultra conservatives of the era might have as easily taken a ludicrous view of supernatural ghostly goings on as they did about many other things that they arbitrarily banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

Hey Willy, just back from the trip and boy is Munich lookin' spick and span! A little eerie though. I stayed with my German friend, Neil. He has a radio and all. No good shows though, propaganda on every station. Can't wait to see some good talkies. Germany hasn't the variety. No Westerns. On the other hand we saw fireworks while I was there, some Nazi celebration, but you wouldn't miss the gossip, or the Brothers and Sisters.

I'll be goin' on the charabanc out to Ballycotton for a day at the seaside. I scrimped and saved enough for a brand new pair of shoes. Bought them off my boss, Mr. Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Anyone know if foreigners can join the Werhmacht? Asking for a friend.

Not sure, but I hear the SS is looking for blue eyed boys.

• Advertisement

I think an Irish holiday is in order this year, all things considered.
    121.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cerveza wrote: »
    Is there a pup payment for the next world war?

It’s a WUP payment...

Actually that could be controversial... that also stands for Womble Underground Press... might confuse people.

Not sure, but I hear the SS is looking for blue eyed boys.

And blonde as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

saabsaab wrote: »
    What's a computer?
    A young lady* who is really good at sums. And multiplication and even long division. Fierce complicated stuff altogether.

*good steady job until she gets married.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Times were different. What did they do with Patrick :eek:

https://esbarchives.ie/2017/09/18/connecting-cork-to-the-national-grid/
    Patrick O’Connell supplied electricity in Carrigtwohill before 1927. He supplied 3 homes and businesses in 1931, and was acquired by ESB around 1938—1939.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I'm extremely confident that the Munich Agreement between Messrs Chamberlain and Hitler will hold.

The Germans are an entirely honourable nation and it would be a rum deal to hoodwink a sitting British Prime Minister.

Mr. Hitler is a bounder and a cad, but he understands the niceties of international agreements.

Yes. I'm looking forward to a wonderful 1940 Olympics.

6dH8GBt.jpg

“System maintenance notice:

The Boards are out of service until 17 May 1939. This is to facilitate an upgrade, involving recorking and painting of the message boards. Thumbtack supplies will also be replenished.

All queries should be sent to the postmistress and should include a stamped, self addressed envelope.”

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

IRA and Nazi collaboration.

Will television be popular, I wonder

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    Will television be popular, I wonder

A wireless with pictures? That’ll never catch on! People enjoy going to the cinema for the newsreels!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Whatever happened to that Willie Joyce lad from Salthill?

Whatever happened to that Willie Joyce lad from Salthill?

I believe he's working for the Germans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I'm extremely confident that the Munich Agreement between Messrs Chamberlain and Hitler will hold.

The Germans are an entirely honourable nation and it would be a rum deal to hoodwink a sitting British Prime Minister.

Mr. Hitler is a bounder and a cad, but he understands the niceties of international agreements.

Yes. I'm looking forward to a wonderful 1940 Olympics.
    Agreement between Britain, France, Germany and Italy.

I don't know about you lads, but I hope to get a bit of work done this summer, whatever about Herr Hitler.
    My brand new yoke for the job

553237.jpg

“Department of Health receives mysterious demand for ten pounds to secure release of filing cabinet key.”

“Department of Health receives mysterious demand for ten pounds to secure release of filing cabinet key.”

Crisis averted when they realise it can be opened with a butter knife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I've heard a rumour that are thinking of getting rid of the Bona Fides, surely not! Part & parcel of a decent night out.

I think a film about Saint Bernadette of Lourdes might be coming in the next few years

• Advertisement

The Church wants your old gold, any all Ireland medals and dead relatives wedding rings gathering dust,get them to the Bishop now, no point dwelling on the past your old gold will be melted down and used in the magnificent cathedrals of the future, prayers will be offered on your behalf

Advertisement