Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really Excellent Public Services in Ireland that aren't Shambolic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

NDLS. Pathetic. Emailed them for info 3 months ago and all I've got so far is 2 automated emails and a third email asking for info i already sent.
    Tried phoning them. 3 minutes of rubbish then finally told I'm in a queue with 23 calls ahead of me.
    What sort of public service is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A privatised one.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

A privatised one.

Just like the privatized service called upon to do driving tests due to the failure of the public driving testers to cope with the work load.

A private service that got through the backlog far faster than the public could dream of doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

EddieN75 wrote: »
    I went to the department of agriculture in portlaoise two years ago for paperwork. They close for a 2 hour lunch. Honestly look it up

Ah French hours I see. ;)
    Revenue is there to take your money. To praise and cheer them on is bizarre.

They are efficient at taking your money. To fund the world’s most expensive hospital. Being built during a worldwide economic recession caused by a pandemic. Go figure.

Ehh if Revenue were actually running the building of the new children's hospital, it would probably already be built, built somewhere that made sense and the cost would be half of what it is going to work to.
    When did I agree for corporations and wealthy elites to be taxed 0 while I get taxed nearly half of everything I make?

Revenue is there to tax the poor and middle class. It exists to keep you in your place.

How can anyone look at the low taxes paid by the wealthy in Ireland and still call the Revenue office progressive and effective? Its a sham.

BTW you need to start studying a bit on our governmental system.
    Revenue don't get to decide what tax rates to charge, who they apply to and what is then done with the tax revenues ??
    Most of those decisions are done by dept of finance and government of the day.

If you have a gripe it is better to bring to the ones that can do something about it, for a start have a go at a politician the next time you see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really a ridiculous post.

Their job is not just to collect money, which in itself is no easy task but to implement and manage all the complications of our tax system.

When you consider how many taxes we have it’s quite a responsibility that could easily be a disaster.

On a personal level, I recently changed job and it was so easy, just log on to my revenue. Add new job and enter new employer's details and start date and everything is done.
    Your new employer is notified of your tax credits, old employer is turned off. No P45s, or paper forms and most importantly no delays resulting in emergency tax, It was perfect.

That’s just one example of how they have developed a great system.

Once the money is collected they are not involved with or concerned with how it is spent. That is the government’s responsibility and projects like the children’s hospital has been ongoing for years and pre-date Covid and should not stop.
    It’s a wonder you didn’t mention the homeless as well.
    Emergency tax lol. Its amazing that there’s a system to pre-emptively charge the common person with taxes. Where are the corporate emergency taxes? Billionaire emergency taxes?

The Children’s Hospital should 100% stop. Its a monument to decadence and corruption being built while the entire country is struggling. Its a play by play repeat of the 1700s just before oligarchs were hanged.

• Advertisement

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    This thread is not about politics, its about areas of the State that operate efficiently. To be fair, tax rates, etc. are political decisions, not the choice of any Department. Revenue as far as I know are apolitical and only implement those political decisions, which to be fair they do quite efficiently. Disagreeing with taxation policy is very understandable but I do not think Revenue are the ones to blame.

Then there’s nobody to blame, according to you. This is a nonsensical gobbledeegook logic loop that politicians like to point to because it effectively says ‘No one is responsible for us building the world’s most expensive hospital’.

Go ahead. Try to point some other department other than revenue and I’ll show you how illogical it all becomes.

You fell for the propaganda.

The Children’s Hospital should 100% stop.

We have a new leader in the "stupidest thing I've read this year" stakes.

Life ain't always empty.

We have a new leader in the "stupidest thing I've read this year" stakes.

Not really. If you think the nation should pay 3+ billion for a hospital then I would argue that you are the stupidest thing Ive read this year.

No amount of mental gymnastics will justify the world’s most expensive hospital in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Then there’s nobody to blame, according to you. This is a nonsensical gobbledeegook logic loop that politicians like to point to because it effectively says ‘No one is responsible for us building the world’s most expensive hospital’.

Go ahead. Try to point some other department other than revenue and I’ll show you how illogical it all becomes.

You fell for the propaganda.

?????????????????????

Obviously I did fall for the propaganda because I really don't comprehend any part of this. By this logic, I guess public servants collectively are responsible for most current problems - maybe the OPW are responsible for unemployment figures, nurses could well cause crime, teachers probably play a role in the housing crisis and those lads in the Passport office play a key role in the drugs trade.

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    ?????????????????????

By this logic, I guess public servants collectively are responsible for most current problems .

Correct. The cogs in the system are collectively at fault for perpetuating the corrupt state - because they are there by design.

Tell me, does Revenue exist in a vacuum? Or is Revenue’s ineffective policies against the rich and corporations by design?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭chancer12

EddieN75 wrote: »
    I went to the department of agriculture in portlaoise two years ago for paperwork. They close for a 2 hour lunch. Honestly look it up

Closed to the public doesn't mean they're taking a two hour lunch

Not really. If you think the nation should pay 3+ billion for a hospital then I would argue that you are the stupidest thing Ive read this year.

No amount of mental gymnastics will justify the world’s most expensive hospital in Dublin.

I'd rather have the world's most expensive hospital (disputed) instead of what for definite would be the world's most expensive hole in the ground.

You also need to provide a source for the "3+ billion" figure

Life ain't always empty.

I'd rather have the world's most expensive hospital (disputed) instead of what for definite would be the world's most expensive hole in the ground.

You also need to provide a source for the "3+ billion" figure

'Disputed'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_buildings

Can we all stop pretending that they're not pulling off the world's biggest scam under the pretense of a 'Children's Hospital'. Its pure propaganda.

Its this weird attitude of 'Everything the government tells me is true' but 'You need to give me a source for that disputed fact!' that shows everyone the propaganda machine is working.

You could've easily googled it yourself but instead you went to the offensive and tried to discredit me. The facts are there online. Google it.

I will say it again: Ireland, with a population of 5 million, and having one of the least Child Mortality/illness rates in the world, does NOT NEED the world's most expensive hospital in ANY class.

No amount of mental gymnastics will dispute this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

I will say it again: Ireland, with a population of 5 million, and having one of the least Child Mortality/illness rates in the world, does NOT NEED the world's most expensive hospital in ANY class.

No amount of mental gymnastics will dispute this.

It does need a new children’s hospital though. I have been in Crumlin children’s hospital with my daughter over a long bank holiday weekend. It’s long past it’s sell by date. The site is tiny. I visit Temple St hospital as part of my employment. It’s worse for space. Again long past it’s sell by date. Even after the new hospital is eventually open, there will still be a satellite unit for kids in Blanchardstown with all testing done in the new hospital. You couldn’t make that up. Why didn’t they build the new hospital behind that hospital on Abbotstown grounds which is state owned ? And don’t get me started with Tallaght and it’s kids facility which simply does not exist.

Damien360 wrote: »
    It does need a new children’s hospital though. I have been in Crumlin children’s hospital with my daughter over a long bank holiday weekend. It’s long past it’s sell by date. The site is tiny. I visit Temple St hospital as part of my employment. It’s worse for space. Again long past it’s sell by date. Even after the new hospital is eventually open, there will still be a satellite unit for kids in Blanchardstown with all testing done in the new hospital. You couldn’t make that up. Why didn’t they build the new hospital behind that hospital on Abbotstown grounds which is state owned ? And don’t get me started with Tallaght and it’s kids facility which simply does not exist.

Because its a scam, friend. There is not one aspect of this project from the builders, the materiel, the planning and construction that doesnt scream backhanded deals.

This is the ultimate payday for a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

So what do you suggest we do about the building site?
    If you wouldn’t mind, answers please on another thread so we can stick to the original post on this one.

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    So what do you suggest we do about the building site?
    If you wouldn’t mind, answers please on another thread so we can stick to the original post on this one.

The majority of the money hasn't been given to BAM.
    Now ask yourself: What can we do with several hundred square foot of lot in Dublin 8.

It's an obvious answer.

You could've easily googled it yourself but instead you went to the offensive and tried to discredit me. The facts are there online. Google it.

You just pulled the figure of 3 billion out of your arse.

How is stopping work and leaving us with the most expensive hole in the ground in the world going to benefit the taxpayer?

Life ain't always empty.

You just pulled the figure of 3 billion out of your arse.

How is stopping work and leaving us with the most expensive hole in the ground in the world going to benefit the taxpayer?

Money has not yet been given.

3+ billion is again, something you can easily google but instead you’ll go on the offensive to try and defend the government. Go on. Just google Children’s hospital costs to inflate +40% due to corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Libraries are great ... for screaming kids and chattering oldies.

Awful if you want to actually read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

3+ billion is again, something you can easily google but instead you’ll go on the offensive to try and defend the government. Go on. Just google Children’s hospital costs to inflate +40% due to corona.

It is indeed a disgraceful figure but in the context of what we've borrowed to fund our little lockdown, it's fairly meaningless.

They will be paid for the work done to date but that work will be abandoned delivering zero value to the taxpayer.

Really smart plan, that.

"Just google it" is the weakest possible response. You might tell us which of your google hits you found so convincing, and why, and what they're basing their figures on (or are they just pulling them out of their arse, too?)

Life ain't always empty.

They will be paid for the work done to date but that work will be abandoned delivering zero value to the taxpayer.

Really smart plan, that.

"Just google it" is the weakest possible response. You might tell us which of your google hits you found so convincing, and why, and what they're basing their figures on (or are they just pulling them out of their arse, too?)

Step 1. Dont build the world's most expensive hospital. Don't give BAM a single cent. A gaping hole in the ground is a better Return on Investment than a 3+ billion hospital. Because for 500 million or less the country could build something it REALLY needs.

Step 2. Stop obfuscating by doing this 'Uhhhh ACHTUALLY I DONT WANNA GOOGLE THE FACTS' trite argument. It's the weakest possible response. It's actually laughable how stupid of a response that is. Are you actually telling me you won't do summary research and thus won't believe the literal figure released. Its all out there. 2.4 billion or 3 billion it doesn't matter. It's a gigantic scam and no amount of mental gymnastics will ever justify it.

To anyone else reading: You can tell this man either works for BAM or really FELL HARD for the propaganda. He won't do a literal google search or look at wikipedia and then uses that as 'proof' that there is no proof. This is how they scam you. Its blatant and obvious.

EDIT: WOW Guess why Im not surprised that someone defending the Children's Hospital scam is named after (and probably works for) a real estate agency?

https://hotblackdesiato.co.uk/

It all keeps falling together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Any chance of splitting the off topic posts into its own thread for the evil corrupt government ruining everything appreciation society?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

That would be great!

Are you actually telling me you won't do summary research

I won't research your claims, no. That's your job.
    EDIT: WOW Guess why Im not surprised that someone defending the Children's Hospital scam is named after (and probably works for) a real estate agency?

https://hotblackdesiato.co.uk/

It all keeps falling together.

You might need to adjust your tinfoil hat there :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

It's a character from the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", but that is where Douglas Adams got the name.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

archfi wrote: »
    Passport Office online service.
    Very efficient, application to receiving new passport (2018) was three days.
    The computerised 'yes or no' to self taken photo is a godsend.

Revenue: email or in person - polite, super efficient, helpful

Also found the Passport Office very good too- online, posted and posted back out to me- no fuss and very quick.
    While I mention post, another I suppose you could say Public Service in Ireland is our Postal Service An Post who I generally find to be very good and value wise not bad with their pre marked parcel service. They are generally very reliable (in my experience). They're profitable again too as a company which is good to see.

I won't research your claims, no. That's your job.

You might need to adjust your tinfoil hat there :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

It's a character from the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", but that is where Douglas Adams got the name.

It doesnt matter. Its evident to every one here that you’re being obtuse on purpose.

The children’s hospital is a scam. Its not a conspiracy theory nor does any one need a tinfoil hat to clearly see that the worlds most expensive hospital that costs 3+ billion euros located in Dublin is nothing but a ploy to extract money and line it to BAM’s pockets.

Watch as this guy comes up with half baked troll responses like

‘Uhhhh you got a source for that?’
    ‘No i wont google it’
    ‘Put on ur tinfoil hat’

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

The hospital is not a scam but it’s a balls up from the get go.

Political bull and consultant pressure put its location where it’s going instead of greenfield site. The agreement was to build immediately because we as a country were talking about it for decades. This is where it went wrong. It’s like deciding to build a house with no plans for its size, layout or use. All that was changed on the fly. That’s where the extra cost is from. BAM don’t work for free. It’s right up there with the printer fiasco in government buildings but on a far larger scale. We are now in for such a large hit that it’s become too big to fail ! We can’t walk away from the site as it would cost just as much to either destroy it or repurpose it.

The scam as you call it can not be stuck to BAM but all the way back at the beginning that despite all the reports to say the site was unsuitable, a very vocal group of consultants made sure it was placed there based on co-location nonsense of paediatrics and adult services close by, despite each medical discipline being very different beasts and consultants don’t cross over each divide.

The political crap is all about the uproar by opposition and media that it was not built yet. So speed became the overarching need at no consideration of cost. A blank cheque book if you like. Everyone loves those until they realise who has to foot the bill, the taxpayers.

• Advertisement

It doesnt matter. Its evident to every one here that you’re being obtuse on purpose.

The children’s hospital is a scam. Its not a conspiracy theory nor does any one need a tinfoil hat to clearly see that the worlds most expensive hospital that costs 3+ billion euros located in Dublin is nothing but a ploy to extract money and line it to BAM’s pockets.

Watch as this guy comes up with half baked troll responses like

‘Uhhhh you got a source for that?’
    ‘No i wont google it’
    ‘Put on ur tinfoil hat’

tenor.gif?itemid=5245718

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement