Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really Excellent Public Services in Ireland that aren't Shambolic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Don’t find revenue good. Hard to get through and there are often people who don’t have a clue. I find your experience very much depends on the ability of the person you deal with, and is at best hit and miss.

Lately I’ve found the civil registration service to be great and really efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

The HEA's Springboard programmes have been very effective in my opinion. I've had friends and relations get some really great opportunities through it and they speak very highly of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

The OPW put on some magnificant floral displays in parks around the country, really top notch.

The OPW are fantastic at what they do, parks, buildings, heritage sites etc., but their sense of value for taxpayers money is non existent. Some of their overspends and inefficiencies are eye watering and it doesn't seem to bother them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

tom1ie wrote: »
    Corks a major city?

It is!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

Very true, but I applied for a refund of tax there a few months ago from 2018 as I only worked about 42 weeks in the year and moved abroad and would have overpaid tax. I think the refund was in my bank 3 or 4 days later. Very efficient at returning your money when it's due, in fairness.

I agree Revenue are well run and much better that tax authorities in other countries. On the point above, why do you have to apply to get your money back? They know you overpaid, it should be refunded automatically. Revenue would really impress me if they automatically refunded money owed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I agree Revenue are well run and much better that tax authorities in other countries. On the point above, why do you have to apply to get your money back? They know you overpaid, it should be refunded automatically. Revenue would really impress me if they automatically refunded money owed.

It's because Revenue know what's provided to them by your employer. If they automatically refunded overpayments of PAYE (which shouldn't really be occurring as much as they used to because of real time reporting), and you subsequently have a tax liability in the year because of that side income you forgot to declare etc, that wouldn't exactly be that efficient. Your refund may also be higher because you might be claiming additional tax reliefs.
    Revenue in the last year or two provide preliminary statements of liability for all PAYE employees meaning you will know if an overpayment/liability exists at year end based in the information Revenue have. It's preliminary because you might be declaring additional income/claiming additional reliefs etc.
    By filing your end of year tax return you are making a legal declaration to Revenue that's all the Income you have and you are entitled to credits/reliefs you have claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Economics101

Revenue is there to take your money. To praise and cheer them on is bizarre.

They are efficient at taking your money. To fund the world’s most expensive hospital. Being built during a worldwide economic recession caused by a pandemic. Go figure.

Revenue are also good at giving money back. Last year I got an unexpected refund after I had filed and paid everything electronically on a P11 form. I had miscalculated one item to my disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Some good online services, ROS is easy to use, getting my last Passport was simple and really quick.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I would say the NCT but last time when I couldnt find my driving licence I went down with my Passport and they wouldnt accept it as ID which I found peculiar, they would accept some public service card but that looked like a pain to apply for

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

It's because Revenue know what's provided to them by your employer. If they automatically refunded overpayments of PAYE (which shouldn't really be occurring as much as they used to because of real time reporting), and you subsequently have a tax liability in the year because of that side income you forgot to declare etc, that wouldn't exactly be that efficient. Your refund may also be higher because you might be claiming additional tax reliefs.
    Revenue in the last year or two provide preliminary statements of liability for all PAYE employees meaning you will know if an overpayment/liability exists at year end based in the information Revenue have. It's preliminary because you might be declaring additional income/claiming additional reliefs etc.
    By filing your end of year tax return you are making a legal declaration to Revenue that's all the Income you have and you are entitled to credits/reliefs you have claimed.

Makes sense. One may have other income to consider and real time reporting will certainly help. Forget what I said, all is forgiven Revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Mav11 wrote: »
    The OPW are fantastic at what they do, parks, buildings, heritage sites etc., but their sense of value for taxpayers money is non existent. Some of their overspends and inefficiencies are eye watering and it doesn't seem to bother them.

The opening times of parks is also absolutely abysmal!
    Take Iveagh Gardens for example, doesn't open till 8am, and 10am on Sundays and public holidays. That's ludicrous. Winter closing at half 3 or 4, then they reach the lofty heights of 6 in the summer.

A virtually useless commodity for those who pay for it (workers)

WrenBoy wrote: »
    The HEA's Springboard programmes have been very effective in my opinion. I've had friends and relations get some really great opportunities through it and they speak very highly of it.

I'd have a very different view on them but maybe I was just unlucky. Did 2 courses up to post grad level through Springboard, 2 different colleges and both times they were lectured by inexperienced people and stunk of being cobbled together for HEA money.

Thats not to say I didn't get anything out of them but the later of the courses I did was absolutely shambolic in it's delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Revenue is there to take your money. To praise and cheer them on is bizarre.

They are efficient at taking your money. To fund the world’s most expensive hospital. Being built during a worldwide economic recession caused by a pandemic. Go figure.

They are there to take the money that you are holding onto that ISN'T yours. What part of that do you not comprehend or sign up to? They do that for all of us, as per the rules agreed to. Stop being a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I'd have a very different view on them but maybe I was just unlucky. Did 2 courses up to post grad level through Springboard, 2 different colleges and both times they were lectured by inexperienced people and stunk of being cobbled together for HEA money.

Thats not to say I didn't get anything out of them but the later of the courses I did was absolutely shambolic in it's delivery.

Thats disappointing to hear, like I said I only have the testimonial of 3 people who used the service they all did courses to get into the IT sector and got work/ went onto study further subsequently. I know 2 were with Dublin Business School, don't know about the third, cant remember.
    Hope you got sorted eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Mav11 wrote: »

I'm not aware of any publicly funded body that gives a hoot about value for taxpayer money tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

+1 for Revenue.

TBF, social protection also. They pay huge numbers of people regularly with few issues, pensioners, children's allowance, job seekers, PUP in recent times & various other payments.

They also manage the GRO & register births deaths & marriages very efficiently. They issue everyone with RSI numbers & record contributions for your entire life. I'm sure there are hiccups but overall it appears to be well run.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

silverharp wrote: »
    I would say the NCT but last time when I couldnt find my driving licence I went down with my Passport and they wouldnt accept it as ID which I found peculiar, they would accept some public service card but that looked like a pain to apply for

NCT are an absolute nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

An Ri rua wrote: »
    They are there to take the money that you are holding onto that ISN'T yours. What part of that do you not comprehend or sign up to? They do that for all of us, as per the rules agreed to. Stop being a child.

When did I agree for them to build the world’s most expensive hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

CSO, CRO, aqueducts…

Oh been pleasantly surprised by passport office

+ 1 for CSO. Very helpful if you have a query.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Got a replacement passport in the post recently. It took 48 hrs from application to receipt. I thought that was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I assume the courses are delivered privately. That they get feedback and if there were a lot of complaints they would be dropped as supplier. Don't know how it works tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

When do you agree for the government to build anything also
    Ill think you'll find its the dept of health not revenue thats building the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

ComReg, in my experience. Efficient enough that one threat to involve them can make Vodafone back down within seconds when they've overcharged due to not informing customers of hidden changes to their plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Others mileage may differ, but in my experience the quality of public services in general has improved significantly in recent decades, pretty much across the board.

The Revenue Commissioners have always been good in my experience. Even when everything else was bureaucratic ****e, they were always reasonably professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

poppers wrote: »
    When do you agree for the government to build anything also
    Ill think you'll find its the dept of health not revenue thats building the hospital.

When did I agree for corporations and wealthy elites to be taxed 0 while I get taxed nearly half of everything I make?

Revenue is there to tax the poor and middle class. It exists to keep you in your place.

How can anyone look at the low taxes paid by the wealthy in Ireland and still call the Revenue office progressive and effective? Its a sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

gmisk wrote: »
    OPW...waste a lot of money....a lot

What do they actually do now? Most of the main infrastructure jobs have been divested to a multidute of other agencies that seem utterly incapable of pricing jobs.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

funny how revenue are so efficient :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

When did I agree for corporations and wealthy elites to be taxed 0 while I get taxed nearly half of everything I make?

Revenue is there to tax the poor and middle class. It exists to keep you in your place.

How can anyone look at the low taxes paid by the wealthy in Ireland and still call the Revenue office progressive and effective? Its a sham.

This thread is not about politics, its about areas of the State that operate efficiently. To be fair, tax rates, etc. are political decisions, not the choice of any Department. Revenue as far as I know are apolitical and only implement those political decisions, which to be fair they do quite efficiently. Disagreeing with taxation policy is very understandable but I do not think Revenue are the ones to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Best: Revenue by a mile

Worst: Department of Agriculture. Incredibly inefficient and unhelpful

Honourable mention: the OPW hire passionate super staff like in Kilmainham Jail and do lots of other good work. Guilty of wasting money though sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Revenue are good at a lot of things but I don't think they build hospitals. As yet.
    I don't know when you agreed to that? How would I? And why did you?

Advertisement