Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Qashqai?

• 13-05-2021 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭

hi folks,what would think of buying a qashqai as a long term investment,say 5 to 6 years,one around the 171 reg 2lt,diesel around 30/40,00 miles,paying around 18 grand,looking for a reliable thing to last a while,i only do about 10,000 miles a year,have a fiesta now 192 st line 2 door with only 14,000 km on it,but have always wanted an suv,so anyones opinions,suggestions welcome,thanks folks,would hope to sell the fiesta soon,not trade in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Of the 10,000 miles a year you do, can you go into more details about the typical journeys you do. Diesel isn’t for everybody.

Also most of the diesel Qashqais you’ll see are 1.5 diesel. They do a 1.2 turbo petrol too which would be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭sniperman

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Of the 10,000 miles a year you do, can you go into more details about the typical journeys you do. Diesel isn’t for everybody.

Also most of the diesel Qashqais you’ll see are 1.5 diesel. They do a 1.2 turbo petrol too which would be worth considering.

hi,typical journeys work locally,shopping etc,spins around town,odd 50 mile trip to boot sales etc,i would however,as i think im supposed to with a diesel,go for a 20/30 mile trip every week to clear out the exhaust etc,it reliability/less trouble.im after,dont want it in the garage every other week

Would you even be doing 10k miles/16k km a year then?
    That’s 300km a week. 40 a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You mean a 3 door Fiesta.there is no such thing as a 2 door fiesta. Why change? You have a lovely car and a more modern car than the one you are thinking of getting.
    An SUV will not handle anywhere nearly as good as your Fiesta.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

B4-E43-C9-E-6-DF2-46-F6-951-A-33253-D626330.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Honestly you want to go down years to be in a fake SUV.... A Nissan at that..... Ugh I wouldn't.

Would you even be doing 10k miles/16k km a year then?
    That’s 300km a week. 40 a day?

maybe not evan that much

AMKC wrote: »
    You mean a 3 door Fiesta.there is no such thing as a 2 door fiesta. Why change? You have a lovely car and a more modern car than the one you are thinking of getting.
    An SUV will not handle anywhere nearly as good as your Fiesta.

thanks,but have fancied an suv now for a while.i see loads around

sniperman wrote: »

Seriously what you have is a much better car, the fake SUV trend will have to end.

If you said you wanted something cool like the vRS kodaq or kodiaq always mix up them ....

maybe not evan that much

Forget the diesel in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,231 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

hi folks,what would think of buying a qashqai as a long term investment, ..

No normal car is an investment. It's a depreciating asset.

A SUV will be more expensive to run generally. If you can buy a phev with decent on battery range.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

What is it about an SUV that appeals, and what is your definition of SUV? The name implies 4 wheel drive and some off road capabilities, neither of which you'll get from a crossover like the Nissan.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

McGaggs wrote: »
    What is it about an SUV that appeals, and what is your definition of SUV? The name implies 4 wheel drive and some off road capabilities, neither of which you'll get from a crossover like the Nissan.

I don't know about OP but I have been considering a crossover SUV myself.

Main reasons are they seem to fit the family lifestyle better: more spacious, good boot size, higher up so easier to put kids into car seats etc. I also like the look of them.

I have seen pretty negative opinions of them in general on here though. Are there good reasons for it or people just not liking the trend?

McGaggs wrote: »

well what appeals to me is im over 60 now,and want to get back into outdoor pursuits etc country driveing etc,fiesta is not great for country lanes,mountain roads ect,want somthing thats able,and was on done deal and seen the nissan qashqai with diamond cut alloys,very nice in blue,and seems to have alot of extras

Fawk Nin wrote: »
    I don't know about OP but I have been considering a crossover SUV myself.

Main reasons are they seem to fit the family lifestyle better: more spacious, good boot size, higher up so easier to put kids into car seats etc. I also like the look of them.

I have seen pretty negative opinions of them in general on here though. Are there good reasons for it or people just not liking the trend?

They’re immensely popular. Look at the sales figures.
    Motoring enthusiasts obviously won’t like them because they have cannibalised the sales of coupes and saloons, and they don’t drive as well as a car with a lower centre of gravity.
    For the non-helmsmiths, the benefits you’ve listed above are great reasons to buy it me.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sirmixalot

Forget the diesel in that case.

Yep, you'd have serious DPF problems on short runs. Get a petrol for those journeys.

It's about fashion. I like the look of them, and I like the idea that I'll be going up the mountains hiking or MTB with one. I know I don't though. Arguably they are safer in a crash with a smaller vehicle. But less stable due to high CG. Heavier on fuel and servicing.

Reality is a MPV is better in every way other than looks. But I was looking for a PHEV in a MPV I can't get one. I can get a PHEV in a SUV. So I'll probably end up with a SUV anyway for that reason.

I also do low miles and usually short journeys. But found it impossible to get decent petrol MPV as a stop gap. So had to get diesel. I'll replace it with a PHEV or small petrol very quickly I imagine.

sirmixalot wrote: »
    Yep, you'd have serious DPF problems on short runs. Get a petrol for those journeys.

Petrol in a heavy SUV though isn't ideal. Unless running costs aren't a factor. Or perhaps low enough miles that you aren't using much fuel anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

They do a 1.2 turbo petrol too which would be worth considering.
    Had one of these, 141 plates, for the last 3 years and I still love it. Brilliant car to drive

Yes it's not a 4x4, off road beast but I'm sure you didn't need that pointed out to you :p

What it is, is a great, great car!

Downsides...
    ...if you put kids seats in the back the front seats won't go all the way back. That said, I'm 6'2" and find the driving position OK with the baby seat in behind (I do prefer it without though!)
    ...there's a slight delay in the turbo, but you learn very quickly how to drive allowing for that. You won't fly off the lights though

That's genuinely all I can think of. Recently moved house so did loads of back and forward, country/motorway/city driving, empty and fully loaded, loved the car every time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Seriously what you have is a much better car, the fake SUV trend will have to end.

If you said you wanted something cool like the vRS kodaq or kodiaq always mix up them ....

It's not going to end any time soon. SUV's are very popular with those over 50. Easier to get in and out of and a better road view with the higher driving position. As well as many people have to buy MPV's when they have children they find it hard to revert back to a standard saloon.

Car manufacturers have made them more fuel efficient and the mid range IX35, Tucson and Qashqai etc are doing 50mpg(5.5-6L/100km) Toyota list market share because it persisted with standard saloons and only had the RAV which was at the upper end of the SUV range. The CH-R they have developed still leaves them more or less out to the mid range market still occupied by the Qashqai, Tucson, Kuga, Koleos, Kodiaq, 3008 etc.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Do they really suit a family better? Compared to the likes of a Passat or Mondeo, they look to have less room and the boot is often pretty small looking.

well what appeals to me is im over 60 now,and want to get back into outdoor pursuits etc country driveing etc,fiesta is not great for country lanes,mountain roads ect,want somthing thats able,and was on done deal and seen the nissan qashqai with diamond cut alloys,very nice in blue,and seems to have alot of extras

I would've thought a qashqai would be worse than the fiesta; being wider on narrow lanes and having no off road advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

good boot size

Boot size is generally not great,

The fiesta will handle better in all those circumstances, a Nissan on them roads wouldn't.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

hi folks,what would think of buying a qashqai as a long term investment,

A car you use to drive to the shops and get to work in isn't an investment. It's a depreciating asset. An expense.

endacl wrote: »
    A car you use to drive to the shops and get to work in isn't an investment. It's a depreciating asset. An expense.

I think what OP means is that he intends to hold onto this type of car for a long time so there is no need to be snotty. I think we all know cars depreciate. However some hold there value better than other. TBH when buying any motorized vehicle that you intend to hold onto for 6-10 years realibility and maintenance costs are what I look at more than anything else

Slava Ukrainii

I think what OP means is that he intends to hold onto this type of car for a long time so there is no need to be snotty. I think we all know cars depreciate. However some hold there value better than other. TBH when buying any motorized vehicle that you intend to hold onto for 6-10 years realibility and maintenance costs are what I look at more than anything else

Short Journeys, Low mileage, low maintenance costs.

Sounds like a EV to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Can't see any ev as being a cheap long term car at present... there's about double the cost to purchase new compared to what they should cost the buyer..old leafs with crap batteries or Hyundai ionics that are 40k.. and still a very small car..
    Maybe a vw id3 in a few years time but very little second hand for realistic money compared to 2017 kajar or quaskai..

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Can't see any ev as being a cheap long term car at present... there's about double the cost to purchase new compared to what they should cost the buyer..old leafs with crap batteries or Hyundai ionics that are 40k.. and still a very small car..
    Maybe a vw id3 in a few years time but very little second hand for realistic money compared to 2017 kajar or quaskai..

As well if OP wants to use this for touring/ country driving access to charging point might be an issue as well as installing one at home. Some lads get hard one's trying to put EV into every situation

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Hurrache wrote: »
    Boot size is generally not great,

Yeah I guess it's big enough for what I need and you can put the back seats down if you want more space for moving stuff etc. I also prefer the open space boot when compared with a saloon where it's usually more awkward to get in at the back of the boot.

Fully admit this is all just personal preference though.

Advertisement