Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The social housing list in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

bubblypop wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan already stated they will not being back water charges.
    Personally, I don't think they should have bowed to the pressure to get rid of them in the first place. I never had a problem in paying for my utilities.
    Welfare recipients from around the world? Who are they?

they couldnt even contemplate bringing back water charges. The pittance they planned on raising with them, isnt worth the hassle! They will raise carbon tax, cigarettes, vat is already very high, they have the minimum alcohol prices coming in next year. The level of motor tax is a joke on most new cars, virtually free motor tax for many cars, since 2008, short sighted idiocy... either scrap the LPT or raise it to a proper amount, as it is, it is a joke... They are seriously between a rock and a hard place, short of getting more tax from big business...

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Do you not pay your utilities then? If you think it is noble to do so?
    Ok, so rejected asylum seekers are not given leave to remain in the state.
    How much do you think asylum seekers get in welfare?

I'm blown away by your virtue of wanting to pay water charges . Fair play.

Failed asylum seekers should be thrown out as soon as their bogus claim is rejected. This does not happen and costs the Irish taxpayer is a significant sum .

ek motor wrote: »
    I'm blown away by your virtue of wanting to pay water charges . Fair play.

Failed asylum seekers should be thrown out as soon as their bogus claim is rejected. This does not happen and costs the Irish taxpayer is a significant sum .

They are.
    How much do asylum seekers receive in welfare payments?

And I can't believe that you don't believe in paying for your utilities!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Having said that, I think the "problem" of the permanent welfare class is vastly overstated.

We have had, every year for at least a decade, the highest rate of jobless households across the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Geuze wrote: »
    We have had, every year for at least a decade, the highest rate of jobless households across the EU.

Not true, at least as measured by the population percentage in jobless households. Consistently in the top five or six, but not top of the charts as you suggest.

https://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/submitViewTableAction.do

• Advertisement

They are.
    How much do asylum seekers receive in welfare payments?

Alas , most of them are not. It does generate a lot of money for solicitors at taxpayers expense.

I'm seeing levels of virtuosity that shouldn't be possible. You need to get on Facebook twitter Instagram, the whole lot and implore your fellow citizens to pay water charges. Truly magnanimous of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No one has an issue paying for utilities. It was the implementation of the water charges, the fact we already pay for water through our taxes, and the risk of privatisation of water which was the concern of most people. Quit conflating the issue.

Alas , most of them are not. It does generate a lot of money for solicitors at taxpayers expense.

I'm seeing levels of virtuosity that shouldn't be possible. You need to get on Facebook twitter Instagram, the whole lot and implore your fellow citizens to pay water charges. Truly magnanimous of you.

I really don't know what your issue is with me paying for utilities. You're becoming obsessed. And I don't do Facebook or Twitter, thanks anyway.

They leave when they have to go. How much welfare do asylum seekers get? Or do you want to say that you just don't know?

I really don't know what your issue is with me paying for utilities. You're becoming obsessed. And I don't do Facebook or Twitter, thanks anyway.

They leave when they have to go. How much welfare do asylum seekers get? Or do you want to say that you just don't know?

You should try virtue signalling on social media, you'll get a far more positive response than you will here.

Your question is so daft its almost incomprehensible. Widely varying amounts is the short answer. Paid for by you.

You should try virtue signalling on social media, you'll get a far more positive response than you will here.

Your question is so daft its almost incomprehensible. Widely varying amounts is the short answer. Paid for by you.

So, no.
    You don't know. That's fair enough.

Sure you seem to think We will be paying water charges again, even though that is totally off the table!

• Advertisement

So, no.
    You don't know. That's fair enough.

Sure you seem to think We will be paying water charges again, even though that is totally off the table!

No one could possibly know how much each individual asylum seeker is paid in welfare as it varies so much. Ridiculous stuff really. The salient point is they receive taxpayer money when they should be put on the first plane home after their application is refused.

I hope you are right and it is off the table , but given the hit the economys taken after two years of pandemic, I wouldn't be at all confident of that.

No one could possibly know how much each individual asylum seeker is paid in welfare as it varies so much. Ridiculous stuff really. The salient point is they receive taxpayer money when they should be put on the first plane home after their application is refused.

I hope you are right and it is off the table , but given the hit the economys taken after two years of pandemic, I wouldn't be at all confident of that.

There is an appeals process, and it’s very slow. That’s why people get bogged down in direct provision, through no fault of their own. It can take years to get a decision. If it’s negative, you get deported. In DP people get something like 38 euros pocket money. After a certain period (9 months?) they are allowed work while awaiting the decision, and many of them do. A lot of them in carer and nursing home jobs, actually.

Penn wrote: »
    No one has an issue paying for utilities. It was the implementation of the water charges, the fact we already pay for water through our taxes, and the risk of privatisation of water which was the concern of most people. Quit conflating the issue.

It was the fact they expected folk on the scratch to contribute was the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭oceanman

Augeo wrote: »
    It was the fact they expected folk on the scratch to contribute was the problem.
    no..i was the fact they expected everyone to pay that was the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Augeo wrote: »

No it was the fact redacted had his greasy paws all over it thanks to FG.
    A myriad of reasons why it was knocked on the head. And it appears now they're not coming back according to MM and Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

Murph_D wrote: »
    A lot of them in carer and nursing home jobs, actually.

How the f are asylum seekers (90% of whom are bogus)allowed access to vulnerable people?

Should this really be allowed?

DerekC16 wrote: »
    How the f are asylum seekers (90% of whom are bogus)allowed access to vulnerable people?

Should this really be allowed?

Are 90% of asylum seekers bogus? Do you have that statistic?
    How are they allowed to work? Why should they not be? Is it not better that they work rather then claim welfare forever?

Not true, at least as measured by the population percentage in jobless households. Consistently in the top five or six, but not top of the charts as you suggest.

https://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/submitViewTableAction.do

My apologies, we have been the worst in the EU15, not the EU28, sorry.

https://twitter.com/seamuscoffey/status/1094990982444134407

There is an appeals process, and it’s very slow. That’s why people get bogged down in direct provision, through no fault of their own. It can take years to get a decision. If it’s negative, you get deported. In DP people get something like 38 euros pocket money.

The time taken for the initial decision is too slow, yes.

If the decision is negative, many of the bogus AS appeal.

Even after receiving negative decisions, many are allowed stay, they are given leave-to-remain.

They are not all deported.

How are they allowed to work? Why should they not be? Is it not better that they work rather then claim welfare forever?

The claims should be processed in 24 hrs, so leaving the port of entry should not even arise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

mohawk wrote: »
    Social housing is probably more important then ever especially in Dublin due to housing costs. There are many on low or modest incomes who work very hard every day who can’t afford the rents or house prices in the city. Those that tell them to commute ignore the huge cost of commuting from a low income. Then some life long welfare recipients are very genuine cases such as those who have a disability that makes working impossible or impractical also carers who are looking after their loved ones at home saving the state a fortune. Those people deserve a stable roof over their heads.
    What do you do about those who are capable of work but never have is very tricky as many have children and you can’t punish children for their parents actions or lack of actions. Anyone can fall on hard times after a change of circumstances and social welfare is great for keeping those people ticking over until they are back on their feet.
    Is there a way to reduce cost of housing to allow those on modest incomes to buy a home.
    The government seem to be pushing a rent for life model, but what is going to happen to those in their 20’s and 30’s (who are paying massive rents now preventing them saving for a home) hit pension age? How much of a pension will they require to keep a roof over their heads? The future looks bleak for that age group unless there is major change in this country.

Nobody has any issue with a person on disability or low income workers getting social housing, thats who it should be for but when you see the likes of Maggie Cash getting everything handed to her when she hasn't done an honest days work in her life it boils the blood.

Nobody has any issue with a person on disability or low income workers getting social housing, thats who it should be for but when you see the likes of Maggie Cash getting everything handed to her when she hasn't done an honest days work in her life it boils the blood.

Why don't you go on the dole and housing list then?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭DerekC16

What sort of vetting of these asylum seekers is being done before they are allowed around vulnerable people. It hasnt even been established if they should be allowed stay in the country at all never mind care for the vulnerable.

What sort of vetting of these asylum seekers is being done before they are allowed around vulnerable people. It hasnt even been established if they should be allowed stay in the country at all never mind care for the vulnerable.

All persons that are working with vulnerable person are subjected to vetting.
    You won't get a job without it, so no need to worry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The claims should be processed in 24 hrs, so leaving the port of entry should not even arise.

How do you propose to implement this sort of system?

Where did you get this 24 hours from? Completely impossible. Asylum is a complex process. Ireland is obliged under international law to accept applications and to look after applicants who need looking after.

No need to apologise. Clarification is always good. Considerably different statistic to what was first posted.

Edit: it's also incorrect. France had a higher rate in 2017.

During 2018-2020, France and Belgium had higher rate than Ireland. In 2020, Sweden also had a higher rate.

The time taken for the initial decision is too slow, yes.

If the decision is negative, many of the bogus AS appeal.

Even after receiving negative decisions, many are allowed stay, they are given leave-to-remain.

They are not all deported.

Applicants have the right to appeal the decision. The Irish government is obliged to extend that right under international law. Leave to Remain may be granted on humanitarian grounds, yes. But some applications eventually fail and yes, the applicants are deported.

The numbers of applicants (and the total number of people in Direct Provision) are actually a good bit lower than a lot of people think.

The same vetting process that everyone else taking a carer job is subject to. Why would it be any different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

This is not a measure of permanent welfare.

Advertisement