Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The social housing list in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

bubblypop wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that everybody on a welfare payment or social housing is a scam artist or layabout?

Someone: "I think drunk drivers are dangerous"
    bubblypop: "Oh, are you suggesting all drivers are drunk??!!?!!?!"

Penn wrote: »
    Someone: "I think drunk drivers are dangerous"
    bubblypop: "Oh, are you suggesting all drivers are drunk??!!?!!?!"

Ridiculous
    And showing your deep bias there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Are you suggesting that everybody on a welfare payment or social housing is a scam artist or layabout?

Are you suggesting that none of them are?
    Same stupid question. Just reversed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Nope.

Ridiculous
    And showing your deep bias there

Not ridiculous. You keep purposefully (imo) trying to take the worst case scenario of people's posts to make exaggerated posts and conflate the issue.

And I'm not biased. I fully believe in the purpose of social housing, and believe that for the most part it serves a vital function and serves it well. I believe that the majority of people in social housing truly need it and should be helped, and that they take good care of the properties and don't engage in anti-social behaviour.

But there are a not insignificant number of those in social housing who take advantage of the help, mistreat the properties and engage in anti-social behaviour, more so than the average of the general population. And it's done at the added expense of taxpayers and gives those who do need social housing help a bad reputation.

In what way is that "deep bias"?

• Advertisement

But there are a not insignificant number of those in social housing who take advantage of the help, mistreat the properties and engage in anti-social behaviour, more so than the average of the general population

Is there? Do you have any kind of proof of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I thinbk your head is not just in the sand.
    Its probably popped out somewhere in Australia :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I mean, LOL
    Actually to expand - why are the government themselves purposely trying to avoid creating 'ghettoes' like Ballymun/Darndale etc. again by housing people in new estates if there are no issues of this kind in these areas?

JimmyVik wrote: »

I think you don't understand at all.
    You grew up in Social housing yes?
    So did I, here and the UK.
    And I also thought the way you do. However, over 20 years of experience dealing with crime has taught me differently.
    The upper & middle classes in this country are just better at hiding their wrongdoing, or buying their way out of trouble, or using favours to keep their issues quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭enricoh

agoodpunt wrote: »
    As an outlier in western europe with less than 5m they are choosing a country and Dublin city, extra taxes or leaner services will be needed to satisfy this new all inclusive better life destination arrivals to the land of social inclusion for all except those who work and pay taxes

They're after trekking across the globe to get to the welfare land of milk and honey.
    So do not begrudge them a free gaff in the dearest part of the country, south dublin. Why should they live in birr, moate, clones etc etc. You try subletting a house there and the pittance you'd get.
    Average working paddy taxpayer has no hope of a house in south dublin, they can commute in from Gorey n tullamore to pay for our new arrivals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭enricoh

JimmyVik wrote: »

Maybe these lads never actually leave the house, so they never see any of this stuff!

https://www.housingagency.ie/sites/default/files/65.%20Tackling-Anti-Social-Behaviour_International-Probl.pdf
    Social housing in Ireland is predominantly provided by local authorities and
    occupied by lower-income groups, and some local authority estates are designated
    disadvantaged. A community where there is joblessness, poor health, low
    education levels and social exclusion is considered a disadvantaged community.
    Research shows that there is a correlation between disadvantage and anti-social
    behaviour (Carroll et al, 2007; Mulcahy et al, 2005; National Crime Council, 2003).
    There is a growing problem of crime and anti-social behaviour in social housing
    estates in Ireland. Several reasons have been cited for this phenomenon including
    the original design of the estates (Delivering Homes, Sustaining Communities, 2007).
    However, Norris (2003) suggests that residualisation in social housing may be a
    contributing factor. Residualisation occurs when those who can afford to leave
    social housing estates and buy houses elsewhere do so, leaving those from the
    lower socio-economic groups, the unemployed and uneducated – in other words
    the ‘socially disadvantaged’ – living in these estates. The residualisation of social
    housing estates has evolved over the past three decades, as the following brief
    history of social housing demonstrates.

enricoh wrote: »
    They're after trekking across the globe to get to the welfare land of milk and honey.
    So do not begrudge them a free gaff in the dearest part of the country, south dublin. Why should they live in birr, moate, clones etc etc. You try subletting a house there and the pittance you'd get.
    Average working paddy taxpayer has no hope of a house in south dublin, they can commute in from Gorey n tullamore to pay for our new arrivals!

I find it's mostly paddy nontaxpayer that wants their house in Dublin.
    I don't see too many asylum seekers in Leitrim complaining.

The upper & middle classes in this country are just better at hiding their wrongdoing, or buying their way out of trouble, or using favours to keep their issues quiet.

Are you saying all upper & middle class people commit crimes? Do you have any proof they do what you describe above?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

And I also thought the way you do. However, over 20 years of experience dealing with crime has taught me differently.

Agreed. It’s a pity nobody here shouting about welfare abuse will acknowledge the far greater problem of white collar crime, despite this point being raised a few times already.

Are you saying all upper & middle class people commit crimes? Do you have any proof they do what you describe above?

I'm saying All people commit crime.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Agreed. It’s a pity nobody here shouting about welfare abuse will acknowledge the far greater problem of white collar crime, despite this point being raised a few times already.

Because the thread is about social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

Well some of us realise there is no point begrudging people who cannot house themselves a home.
    If you want to work and own your own home, I can't understand why you would be jealous of others, who don't?

Its not a lazy argument, it's the reality

The point is that healthy people who through their own lifestyle choices decided not to work towards owning a home, should not live somewhere equally nice to people who worked hard to own their home.

Leinster90 wrote: »
    The point is that healthy people who through their own lifestyle choices decided not to work towards owning a home, should not live somewhere equally nice to people who worked hard to own their home.

But why do you think that?
    It just screams snob.

Also, most social housing is not really super nice

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

Not trying to backseat mod here or name names but I would advise some posters not to let themselves be goaded, there's a bit of a pattern going on.

• Advertisement

Because the thread is about social housing.

Nice try, but it is also ‘about’ alleged links between social housing provision, immigration policy, and crime, the latter seemingly narrowly defined as petty crime by residents of social housing.

Have you considered the impact of white collar crime on housing policy, for instance? The connections between corrupt politicians and developers, maybe, or the cosy historic relationships between the state and the building trade, or say the very questionable anticompetitive practices that litter the history of the cement business in Ireland?

https://villagemagazine.ie/a-history-of-scandal/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

But why do you think that?
    It just screams snob.

Also, most social housing is not really super nice

Do you really not understand how incentives work?

If people can get something for free as opposed to having to get up every morning and work hard for it, why would anyone work?

It’s not nice for a good reason, because people shouldn't view it as an attractive option and should feel motivated to work and live somewhere nicer.

The definition of fairness is people being rewarded in proportion to how hard they work or how much value they create. It doesn't mean everyone having the same things. You may not agree with that but it’s a universal truth.

Do you really not understand how incentives work?

If people can get something for free as opposed to having to get up every morning and work hard for it, why would anyone work?

And people do work, and they try to better themselves and they want to own their own homes.
    So, why the issue with social housing then?

I hate this ‘get up in the morning’ stuff. So disrespectful of night workers, so forgiving of layabouts who like an early start. ;)

It’s wrong to equate work purely with providing for oneself and family. Lots of people work because they enjoy it, and feel it’s part of their identity. That’s one of the reasons why many unemployed people are miserable, even though their food and shelter needs are taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

This is exactly the thing that gets peoples backs up. Living in your home that you had to save thousands in deposits for, signed up to 20+ years mortgage and all the interest that brings, mortgage protection, life assurance, property tax, house maintenance. All the costs that dont land on your neighbour.

Social housing should meet basic housing needs. I dont see why someone who cant provide their own home should live in the same house as someone who is paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Can’t think of any middle class or upper class area with boarded up houses and burnt out cars in the middle of the estate.

While people from all walks of life commit crimes Certain crimes are more prevalent in certain areas then others. There is a reason we are trying to move away from the big council housing estates. Too many nice families in those estates were being negatively effected by the anti-social behaviour surrounding them.

Your post is practically trying to dismiss problems by saying look over there at those problems. Nothing to see here.

mohawk wrote: »
    Can’t think of any middle class or upper class area with boarded up houses and burnt out cars in the middle of the estate.

While people from all walks of life commit crimes Certain crimes are more prevalent in certain areas then others. There is a reason we are trying to move away from the big council housing estates. Too many nice families in those estates were being negatively effected by the anti-social behaviour surrounding them.

Your post is practically trying to dismiss problems by saying look over there at those problems. Nothing to see here.

No, I definitely am not trying to dismiss those problems, not at all. I agree with everything you have said here.
    What I don't like to see, and it is prevalent in this thread and boards in general, is that posters generalise where there is no evidence, where they just decide things based on their own bias.

And I really don't understand why posters have such issues with social housing, it just all reads like jealousy and 'it's not fair' but yet the same posters don't want social housing for themselves. I just don't get it.

jrosen wrote: »
    This is exactly the thing that gets peoples backs up. Living in your home that you had to save thousands in deposits for, signed up to 20+ years mortgage and all the interest that brings, mortgage protection, life assurance, property tax, house maintenance. All the costs that dont land on your neighbour.

Social housing should meet basic housing needs. I dont see why someone who cant provide their own home should live in the same house as someone who is paying for it.

'it's just not fair' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Murph_D wrote: »
    I hate this ‘get up in the morning’ stuff. So disrespectful of night workers, so forgiving of layabouts who like an early start. ;)

It’s wrong to equate work purely with providing for oneself and family. Lots of people work because they enjoy it, and feel it’s part of their identity. That’s one of the reasons why many unemployed people are miserable, even though their food and shelter needs are taken care of.

Strange that, the people who live in next to me who are both unemployed and have been as long as I know, get €1300 a month in HAP and are able to spend their summer days playing music and drinking cans & having a great craic with all of their equally unemployed mates really don't sound all that miserable to me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No, I definitely am not trying to dismiss those problems, not at all. I agree with everything you have said here.
    What I don't like to see, and it is prevalent in this thread and boards in general, is that posters generalise where there is no evidence, where they just decide things based on their own bias.

And I really don't understand why posters have such issues with social housing, it just all reads like jealousy and 'it's not fair' but yet the same posters don't want social housing for themselves. I just don't get it.

The biggest reason that social housing shouldn't be as nice as private is cost. Social housing exists to provide those who can't home themselves a home.

Not a home with a Seaview, not a home with a certain standard of living but somewhere to live.

Housing a family in a high end apartment costs 2k per month. Look to move outside the city and you could house two families for that.

Social housing is, at present, a massive pyramid scheme were taxpayers get taken for a ride, in both having their taxes spent on it, but also being gazumped by councils for the few homes they have any hope of buying.

Advertisement