Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller Wedding - Breaking Tenancy & Covid Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

nullzero wrote:
    Thanks for your research

Well it doesn't suit some people's narrative to do the research themselves. It's not so much shock, horror when you see that weddings, confirmation etc of the same or larger numbers have been going on around the country for almost a year now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

bubblypop wrote: »
    Because posters were here saying it didn't happen. It did happen, lots.
    I didn't organise it, I have no idea about restrictions at the time, but there were a lot of people there. And that was just one I was at myself, there were lots more.

You had no idea about restrictions last summer?

Come off it.

And can we take from what you're saying that you went to more than one gathering last year in the middle of a pandemic? Are we supposed to be impressed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Because posters were here saying it didn't happen. It did happen, lots.
    I didn't organise it, I have no idea about restrictions at the time, but there were a lot of people there. And that was just one I was at myself, there were lots more.

If you don't know what restrictions were in at the time, your post is pointless and supports nothing. So, without proof, it should be assumed that the wedding you attended last summer was not in breach of covid rules and the settled white people abided by the law.

Stay Free

nullzero wrote: »
    You had no idea about restrictions last summer?

Come off it.

And can we take from what you're saying that you went to more than one gathering last year in the middle of a pandemic? Are we supposed to be impressed?

What?
    No, I went to one wedding reception.
    Why would you be impressed??

bubblypop wrote:
    Because posters were here saying it didn't happen. It did happen, lots. I didn't organise it, I have no idea about restrictions at the time, but there were a lot of people there. And that was just one I was at myself, there were lots more.

Question, was there more than 50 there including staff & wedding guests?

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Well it doesn't suit some people's narrative to do the research themselves. It's not so much shock, horror when you see that weddings, confirmation etc of the same or larger numbers have been going on around the country for almost a year now

Seemingly you haven't bothered to read A, the responses to the links you posted or in fact B, the content of those links which reference Travellers and halting sits repeatedly.

You were making grandiose statements about widespread flaunting of covid restrictions based within the settled community and after being asked repeatedly to provide evidence the major of what you linked to displays yet more incidents involving travellers.

Now you are still assuming you have the moral high ground. I take my hat off to you.

If you don't know what restrictions were in at the time, your post is pointless and supports nothing. So, without proof, it should be assumed that the wedding you attended last summer was not in breach of covid rules and the settled white people abided by the law.

Again if you google the restrictions last year then you will find that 50 was the largest number allowed Inc staff serving & bar staff. It's not a secret. Very well published. You must know this already from the golf gate saga?

Question, was there more than 50 there including staff & wedding guests?

Yes.

Yes.

But you said "No idea how many were there, lots!"

This whole story seems to be quite malleable.

nullzero wrote:
    Seemingly you haven't bothered to read A, the responses to the links you posted or in fact B, the content of those links which reference Travellers and halting site repeatedly.

You selectively read the links. They weren't all travellers & one linked article is about the amount of these parties and the government being so worried about the climbing numbers

• Advertisement

You selectively read the links. They weren't all travellers & one linked article is about the amount of these parties and the government being so worried about the climbing numbers

Selectively Read the links?

You posted 4 links.

3 directly referenced travellers and halting sites.

Yes.

What month was the wedding?

Stay Free

bubblypop wrote:
    Yes.

Like 100s more parties it broke the regulations. I'm stunned at posters claiming they didn't know this was going on. NEPHET were being people not to attend these family parties.

There was a reason that the government had to stop confirmations & communions last autumn. They wanted to stop these large parties

nullzero wrote:
    3 directly referenced travellers and halting sites.

&the 4th one?

Like 100s more parties it broke the regulations. I'm stunned at posters claiming they didn't know this was going on. NEPHET were being people not to attend these family parties.

There was a reason that the government had to stop confirmations & communions last autumn. They wanted to stop these large parties

100s of parties that you can't provide evidence of.

75% of the evidence that you did provide discredited your argument, but you still insist on pushing it.

nullzero wrote: »
    But you said "No idea how many were there, lots!"

This whole story seems to be quite malleable.

There was more then 50, but I don't know what restrictions were in place at the time.
    More than 50 at the reception, not in the church

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

So 20 garda vehicles, jcb and driver. Truck and driver and others involved in this.
    I font suppose these upstanding citizens will get the bill.

What month in the last year were more than 50 inc staff allowed? :)

Think it was July

&the 4th one?

I'll give you a gold star if you answer one question honestly; Did you actually read any of those articles before you posted the links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

This isn't selective, I've pasted in a broad selection of the paragraph beginnings of the links you posted that seem to totally contradict the wild claims you've made. You posted these links yourself, I've got to think if someone is trying to prove a point they would themselves be selective but if this was the best you could find then my opinion is that you have totally and utterly undermined your own argument.

"Video evidence shows massive parties being held in Spring Lane Halting Site"

"Footage inside the lavish Irish wedding that broke Covid lockdown rules
    The rule breaking bride and groom were filmed arriving at St John's Church, Tralee in a horse drawn carriage" - "The young Traveller couple were filmed arriving to St John's Church in Tralee, Co Kerry, in the white horse-drawn carriage followed by two stretched limousines."

"That same weekend a Traveller family had a party in Spring Lane with fireworks."

"“I will be contacting the Minister for Justice to have her investigate why Cork Gardai are not interacting with the Travelling community when they are breaking the rules and regulations that are there to protect communities from Covid.

“This has to be contributing to the high increase in numbers and there are people out there, not just the travelling communities, who believe it is their right to throw caution to the wind and to behave irresponsibly."

And to be clear, I have no doubt plenty of settled people did also break the rules and had parties but they don't seem to attract the same attention. I would suggest because they try and fly under the radar by not pissing off their neighbours by being so brazen about it?

What month in the last year were more than 50 inc staff allowed? :)

None in the "summer" last year.
    Think it was July

So you attended a wedding with "lots"....more than 50 and you didn't know YOU were breaching covid rules?

Stay Free

nullzero wrote:
    75% of the evidence that you did provide discredited your argument, but you still insist on pushing it.

There is no pushing it. Everyone & their dog knows about the large family parties last year. The government & NEPHET begged them to stop. Eventually they had to ban communions and confirmations to try stop these parties. Marquee companies were running flat out last summer. Why you keep pretending that it's the first you heard of it is beyond me. NEPHET begged people to stop each evening as they published the numbers.

There is no pushing it. Everyone & their dog knows about the large family parties last year. The government & NEPHET begged them to stop. Eventually they had to ban communions and confirmations to try stop these parties. Marquee companies were running flat out last summer. Why you keep pretending that it's the first you heard of it is beyond me. NEPHET begged people to stop each evening as they published the numbers.

I suspect that's because the caravans are too small for large parties :D

Although in all seriousness, i'm sure that settled, privileged white people broke the rules too. I just don't know of any personally and haven't seen them hitting the headlines. My neighbour held a summer birthday party in a marquee out the back garden. It was about 30sqm and there were only 6 or 7 there, including the mother.

Stay Free

None of what you're saying can be substantiated.

Any house parties or large gatherings have been reported pretty much immediately since the beginning of the pandemic.

This isn't a conspiracy against travellers, this wedding issue is something that has only reared it's head recently.

Plenty of settled people took the p1ss and continue to, but just not on the scale you're claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

&the 4th one?

So we can conclude from your random research that while there was breaking of COVID rules and regulations last year that 75% were by the travelling community and the other instance was Government giving out about it but afraid to mention it was a certain ethnic minority who think they do not have to obey the law.

Like they say the proof is in the pudding

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

Well bubblypop obviously hadn't heard of it.

nullzero wrote:
    I'll give you a gold star if you answer one question honestly; Did you actually read any of those articles before you posted the links?

I purposely included traveller weddings to try encourage you to research it yourself. Jasus the horse drawn cinderella carriage told me enough without reading the article. Do some research & you will find plenty of references from the government & NEPHET about marquees and parties. Me personally, I've been in well over 1500 homes in the past 12 months for work. I personally am aware of 15 or 20 large weddings. The larger marquees I came across were further out of Dublin & surrounding counties.

The reason communion & confirmations were banned was not because of the social distance ceremony. They were banned because of the parties afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Yeah, CAB would find a big ledger in the trailer, with dates, quotations, expenditure and receipts for Honda generators, roof repairs, antiques, rhino horns and so on.... all the invoices, vat receipts, cheque numbers...
    Dead easy audit, anyone could do it.

* "Honda".

• Advertisement

None in the "summer" last year.

So you attended a wedding with "lots"....more than 50 and you didn't know YOU were breaching covid rules?

Yep.
    I didn't invite anyone or organise anything.
    I had no idea how many people would be there. How would I?

Advertisement