Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards in 1939

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Worried mother writes ...

Can ANYONE help me? My children will not eat the fat with their chops, they hide it when Papa and I are not looking, and put it in the rubbish. HOW CAN I KEEP THEM HEALTHY? I am driven to despair.

Weather or not writes ...

It may interest you to know that the weather is getting warmer and warmer. I foresee that fairly soon, we won't even have winter in this country at all. By about 1947 it will be a thing of the past.

Mr Green writes ...

I blame the motor car. Look at America, they started to mass produce the motor car around 1920, by 1930 the whole place was burning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Will Lindbergh run for the Republican party in 1940?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Mr Green writes ...

I blame the motor car. Look at America, they started to mass produce the motor car around 1920, by 1930 the whole place was burning up.

Moved to the conspiracies theories forum >>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mr Green writes ...

Good thing they figured out a way to boost the octane rating, it's really improved life for us motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Is this Rural Electrification program a good idea? Seems very expensive to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Really looking forward to the new decade, C'mon 1940's! the 30's were sh1te.

RTE Radio are just finishing the new series of their popular radio show - Reelin in the Years, covering the 1930s. 1st episode, about the events of 1930, will broadcast at the end of September on Radio Eireann .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The Sino/Japanese conflict needs watching. However it will remain a limited affair. If the Japanese empire tries to go beyond China then they will suffer a huge setback from the British, French and Dutch who will be more than able to protect there interests

The Japanese will also be afraid of the US and would not dare carry out any action that would entangle them in a conflict with the USA

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I have a feeling that sometime in the 40s, women's swimwear is going to get more shorter, in two pieces

Imperial Airways now taking bookings for holidays in France for summer 1940!

I think I am going to save for a holiday of a lifetime. I think I will go to Hawaii for December 1941

Slava Ukrainii

Best not to; something bad could happen, in the area of Pearl Harbour

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

All these new motor cars on the roads that were built for bicycles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

Isnt that up and coming fashion designer Hugo Boss doing some great things with army uniforms?

tommybrees wrote: »
    The new rules in hurling and football are making the game and players 'soft'

Limerick are killing hurling. Shure look at the size of that Mackey fella he is practically a professional athlete and the way he runs around with the sliotar on the hurley is a joke not real hurling at all. If we don't do something now the game will be unrecognizable from the egg and spoon race

The Olympics next year will be a great occasion. They are to be held now in Helsinki after being removed from Tokyo. Will Jesse Owens win medals. Will we have any Olympian capable of wining a medal

Slava Ukrainii

ElJaguar wrote: »
    May 1945, Hitler dead - Current Affairs forum mourns.

Hitler has got this in the bag lads. Check the bookies it's all over

Britain and France have recognised Franco’s government.

The Catholic Church must be pleased

And as we speak Frank Ryan is rotting in a Fascist prison and no one here cares

• Advertisement

Apparently there's plans for the Mother of all Airshows over Dunkirk next May......

I think Winston Churchill could be a great Prime Minister in the UK

branie2 wrote: »
    I think Winston Churchill could be a great Prime Minister in the UK
    You mean the lad who was obsessed with the Dardanelles in the Great War? Quite unfit for office. Chamberlain is doing a top job. Didnt he negotiate the grand peace treaty last year with Herr Hitler?

You mean the lad who was obsessed with the Dardanelles in the Great War? Quite unfit for office. Chamberlain is doing a top job. Didnt he negotiate the grand peace treaty last year with Herr Hitler?

That is going to end badly, I think.

Anyway if Chamberlain did go he be replaced by Lord Halifax. There is no circumstances where that windbag Winston Churchill will be allowed to become PM. Even if he did he lose any bit of a war that will happen like his mess up in the Dardanelles

While I have my reservation's about Herr Hitler and there is some disquiet about his treatment of the Jewish people( all made up I say and a thing of nothing) he is build Germany up into a peace loving and peacefull country.

Why would he cause any problems he have a hard job invading France defended as it is by the Maginot line. He be send running by the French Army by themselves with his tail between his legs

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Anyway if Chamberlain did go he be replaced by Lord Halifax. There is no circumstances where that windbag Winston Churchill will be allowed to become PM. Even if he did he lose any bit of a war that will happen like his mess up in the Dardanelles

While I have my reservation's about Herr Hitler and there is some disquiet about his treatment of the Jewish people( all made up I say and a thing of nothing) he is build Germany up into a peace loving and peacefull country.

Why would he cause any problems he have a hard job invading France defended as it is by the Maginot line. He be send running by the French Army by themselves with his tail between his legs

The British army would help out too. Not that they’d be needed of course.

If a war happened, the Royal Navy will clear the seas of German ships and no doubt. All the Kriegsmarine has is a pair of battle cruisers and few heavy cruisers but they DO have a stonking great big newly built battleship.
    That’s it. The couple of submarines the jerries have are coastal defence

Hms Courageous and Glorious to use their airplanes locate any ships and bring in the fleet

The British army would help out too. Not that they’d be needed of course.

If a war happened, the Royal Navy will clear the seas of German ships and no doubt. All the Kriegsmarine has is a pair of battle cruisers and few heavy cruisers but they DO have a stonking great big newly built battleship.
    That’s it. The couple of submarines the jerries have are coastal defence

Hms Courageous and Glorious to use their airplanes locate any ships and bring in the fleet

The Territorial army may suffer small setback at the start but when it goes on the offensive it will mop old Jerry, after all we have tanks now and know how to use them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 27,790 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's no way I'm voting for that **** De Valera agin.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I hear that Hitler fella is planning a big book tour

• Advertisement

The Territorial army may suffer small setback at the start but when it goes on the offensive it will mop old Jerry, after all we have tanks now and know how to use them.

Well take to the hills like we did last decade

Advertisement