Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Principal Officer competition 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShellyMCD

So 13? If so I should be next ? I was getting worried that they had forgotten about me if they were already at 15 . Phew !

It can’t be long now till they reach you.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭froggiegirls

ShellyMCD wrote: »
    It can’t be long now till they reach you.

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tangtastic

Hi Everyone, would anyone be able to tell me when the third batch was invited to the next stage?
    I may be called if there's a 4th one, so just curious as there are another 9 months before this panel expires..

24th March

• Registered Users Posts: 23 everycloud

So 13? If so I should be next ? I was getting worried that they had forgotten about me if they were already at 15 . Phew !

Glad I asked. When I emailed PAS I was told that there are seven ahead of me which would put it at 15/16 which clearly isn't the case. Good to be able to double-check in this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Regularreggie

Any idea how many fail the presentation? I know roughly half of the 50 called in batch 2 made it to the panel. But I was wondering which was tougher to pass the interview or the presentation

• Advertisement

Any idea how many fail the presentation? I know roughly half of the 50 called in batch 2 made it to the panel. But I was wondering which was tougher to pass the interview or the presentation

No idea how many fail the presentation but I found my marks were much higher in the interview than presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭karlitob

No idea how many fail the presentation but I found my marks were much higher in the interview than presentation.

Jaysus - I don’t have much slack then!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Maralva

Just out of my presentation. I had a lot of problems filling the docs in the administrator screen. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 terminatorX1

Maralva wrote: »
    Just out of my presentation. I had a lot of problems filling the docs in the administrator screen. Anyone else?

I had significant lag typing in mine - it was extremely off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maybenever

I had the same issue but still made it through, so don't let it get to you. :)

• Advertisement

Can I ask - was the lag in typing into the word doc or the PowerPoint doc or both ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 terminatorX1

Can I ask - was the lag in typing into the word doc or the PowerPoint doc or both ?

It was both but more noticeable with word.

I'm not going to blame that should I not get through, these things can happen in day to day work.

I'm more of a pen & paper type!

Pas have offered up to no 14 on the Dublin panel

Pas have offered up to no 14 on the Dublin panel

Doesn’t that mean congrats are in order?

Tangtastic wrote: »
    Doesn’t that mean congrats are in order?

It does indeed lol :-)

Aw well done! All the time and effort was worth it. Best of luck with it ; )

Tangtastic wrote: »
    Aw well done! All the time and effort was worth it. Best of luck with it ; )

Thanks a million. I’m chuffed

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShellyMCD

Congrats and best of luck in your new role.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Belfry2018

Congrats and Best of Luck. If anyone is interetsed in setting up a PO network for nelwy promotoed POs let me know, it would be good to have people in simialr positions to get advice from. I have a few spots to go but nearly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭karlitob

Stage 4. Done.

Ah - not the most articulate but not sure I could’ve done any better. Thanks to everyone. Appreciate the help.

• Advertisement

Belfry2018 wrote: »
    Congrats and Best of Luck. If anyone is interetsed in setting up a PO network for nelwy promotoed POs let me know, it would be good to have people in simialr positions to get advice from. I have a few spots to go but nearly there.

I would definitely be interested in being part of a newbie PO network, great idea thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Tr1ckieD1ckie

everycloud wrote: »
    I would definitely be interested in being part of a newbie PO network, great idea thanks.

About 7 months in as a PO (new entrant to the service)- assigned to a crazy busy unit/department- so happy to share some experiences if that's helpful to others

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Belfry2018

About 7 months in as a PO (new entrant to the service)- assigned to a crazy busy unit/department- so happy to share some experiences if that's helpful to others

After 7 months is it what you expected? I’m nearly assigned and I’ll set up a group I’d say within the next two weeks for anyone interested. I came from private sector in 2004 to the CS and have been in it since. Hope it’s going well and you like it.

I’d deffo be interested in that

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maybenever

I’d deffo be interested in that

Congrats on the promo, nice to see the progression through the thread from people fretting to the relief of the call from PAS!

Finger's crossed I'll get one (this time).

Does anyone know how long more the current Stage 4 presentations will be happening? I did mine today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Regularreggie

Based on board member details today was last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Noprobs

The wait is on... again...
    Hated the presentation aspect!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Tr1ckieD1ckie

After 7 months is it what you expected? I’m nearly assigned and I’ll set up a group I’d say within the next two weeks for anyone interested. I came from private sector in 2004 to the CS and have been in it since. Hope it’s going well and you like it.

It's a great question. I came from an organisation in a similar (but not public) sector so the culture change has not been too dramatic.

On the positive note, pretty much everyone I've met has been very welcoming and you get a genuine sense that people wish you well and want to see you succeed in the role.

Against that, it's been very pressurised and you're expected to get up to speed and start making an informed and meaningful contribution immediately. Given the scale of operations/budgets, there are deficiencies in the information systems to support decision making and as far as I can see there is limited availability of procedure documentation so you just have to roll up your sleeves, use your situational analysis skills and make the best of it.

I was fortunate to have access to the person who was in my role for a long time previously and while I was keen not to be a nuisance to them, on a couple of occasions it was very useful to be able to bounce things off them.

I have a good team who've been a huge support however teams seem to be in a constant stage of change with mobility moves and promotions which can be a risk in losing organisational knowledge.

Working from home during the pandemic introduces a further challenge which increases the level of social distance- I've 11 in my Unit and I've only met one of them in person. But it's amazing how quickly you get to build a relationship with colleagues when you talk to them every day via video conferencing

Finally, I would say work/life balance is a problem with a very significant volume of work coming at you at pace and the need to provide a detailed and reasoned response much faster than you would in other organisations.

All in all it's been a positive and rewarding experience albeit pressurised and challenging (assuming I get through my probation ok) with lots of opportunities to make a difference... and you get a lot of latitude to develop and implement plans in your allocated area of responsibility... and if what you propose isn't sensible the powers that be won't be reticent to call this out.

• Advertisement

It's a great question. I came from an organisation in a similar (but not public) sector so the culture change has not been too dramatic.

On the positive note, pretty much everyone I've met has been very welcoming and you get a genuine sense that people wish you well and want to see you succeed in the role.

Against that, it's been very pressurised and you're expected to get up to speed and start making an informed and meaningful contribution immediately. Given the scale of operations/budgets, there are deficiencies in the information systems to support decision making and as far as I can see there is limited availability of procedure documentation so you just have to roll up your sleeves, use your situational analysis skills and make the best of it.

I was fortunate to have access to the person who was in my role for a long time previously and while I was keen not to be a nuisance to them, on a couple of occasions it was very useful to be able to bounce things off them.

I have a good team who've been a huge support however teams seem to be in a constant stage of change with mobility moves and promotions which can be a risk in losing organisational knowledge.

Working from home during the pandemic introduces a further challenge which increases the level of social distance- I've 11 in my Unit and I've only met one of them in person. But it's amazing how quickly you get to build a relationship with colleagues when you talk to them every day via video conferencing

Finally, I would say work/life balance is a problem with a very significant volume of work coming at you at pace and the need to provide a detailed and reasoned response much faster than you would in other organisations.

All in all it's been a positive and rewarding experience albeit pressurised and challenging (assuming I get through my probation ok) with lots of opportunities to make a difference... and you get a lot of latitude to develop and implement plans in your allocated area of responsibility... and if what you propose isn't sensible the powers that be won't be reticent to call this out.

Thank you Tr1ckie D1ckie for taking the time to update us on your experience over the last few months. You've answered a lot of questions/concerns I've had myself so it's hugely useful to read how you've found the transition. Thanks again and continued good luck with it, sounds like they got a great new PO ;-)

Advertisement