Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    None were asked. And when I say none, I mean none.

It was really cringy this morning on Newstalk. Ciara Kelly asked the TUI rep if they had asked teachers and he said no. To clarify she asked him if they had just come up with this themselves and he responded that yes, they had just come up with it themselves. :eek:

WTF.....seriously.

If you are going on the national airwaves you should be a least moderately competent........have justifications/counterpoints

Anyone that gets handed their ass by the likes of a Ciara Kelly needs to consider if perhaps they are in the wrong line of work......she's not exactly the sharpest tool in the box...were talking mostly populist rabble rousing here.

do these union guys get media training or any prep on how to make a coherent point and actually put across a reasonable justification/argument

or even training on how to strategise/pick your battles etc

its hardly some machiavellian masterplan to look completely incompetent on radio to have the general public sympathising with the ordinary members for having such incompetent representatives is it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

None were asked. And when I say none, I mean none.

It was really cringy this morning on Newstalk. Ciara Kelly asked the TUI rep if they had asked teachers and he said no. To clarify she asked him if they had just come up with this themselves and he responded that yes, they had just come up with it themselves. :eek:

Oh jaysus that sounds awful. Who from TUI was it? I know I could listen to the podcast but for the sake of my blood pressure I try to avoid hearing Ciara Kelly's voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Why is everyone focusing on TUI? Ann Piggott from ASTI made a statement about it early yesterday, before TUI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Why is everyone focusing on TUI? Ann Piggott from ASTI made a statement about it early yesterday, before TUI.

I think Aodhan O Riordan was advocating for it also. From what I've seen on social media it seems the TUI rep did a poor job of selling it as anything other than teachers looking for longer holidays, thus opening the gates to teacher bashing and providing them with further "proof" of our inate laziness and selfishness.

^i haven't heard it myself but that's the social media reaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think Aodhan O Riordan was advocating for it also. From what I've seen on social media it seems the TUI rep did a poor job of selling it as anything other than teachers looking for longer holidays, thus opening the gates to teacher bashing and providing them with further "proof" of our inate laziness and selfishness.

^i haven't heard it myself but that's the social media reaction

Yeah, I understand the criticism of his performance but not the implication that it is something only the TUI are proposing - ASTI got there first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Yeah, I understand the criticism of his performance but not the implication that it is something only the TUI are proposing - ASTI got there first.

Where, genuinely curious, I didn't hear asti asking for it at all other than apparently the president commenting on a radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

Dosen't matter. Not the battle to be fighting now and the TUI looked foolish

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/government-issues-no-homework-day-for-all-children-in-ireland-39765585.html

She is wasted as Minister
    She should join the JCT with brainwaves like this
    So out of touch with reality it’s frightening

“She is a teacher it will be grand “
    It’s going well alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

km79 wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/government-issues-no-homework-day-for-all-children-in-ireland-39765585.html

She is wasted as Minsiter

It’s going well alright

What populist bu!!****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m sorry what? She knows that a load of primary schools did no homework for a period of time already? And that we can not give homework at any time? What the actual....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

It’s going well alright

Oh my God. Oh. My. God. Isn't well for her that she has the time to come up with this sh1t. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

It’s going well alright
    What absolute nonsense. Who thought this was sensible? And before some passer by steps in for a kick, I don’t care about them having a day off homework. It’s that the government is now interfering directly in how every teacher runs their class. Absolute joke.

RealJohn wrote: »
    What absolute nonsense. Who thought this was sensible? And before some passer by steps in for a kick, I don’t care about them having a day off homework. It’s that the government is now interfering directly in how every teacher runs their class. Absolute joke.

Like she knows we can give no homework when ever we want?!! 😂

Hey Norma, I never give homework anyway, so can I get a voucher for something else instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

"In an interview with Seamus the Dog, Ms Foley says: It’s a golden ticket and this is how it’s going to work."

Is this Waterford Whispers?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

In an interview with Seamus the dog...oh my good sweet Jesus..

Wonder how much the adviser was paid to come up this because Norma sure as he'll didn't come up with it herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 itrip

amacca wrote: »
    WTF.....seriously.

If you are going on the national airwaves you should be a least moderately competent........have justifications/counterpoints

Anyone that gets handed their ass by the likes of a Ciara Kelly needs to consider if perhaps they are in the wrong line of work......she's not exactly the sharpest tool in the box...were talking mostly populist rabble rousing here.

do these union guys get media training or any prep on how to make a coherent point and actually put across a reasonable justification/argument

or even training on how to strategise/pick your battles etc

its hardly some machiavellian masterplan to look completely incompetent on radio to have the general public sympathising with the ordinary members for having such incompetent representatives is it:D

In comparison to the nursing unions reps who are always well versed, coherent and well able to deal with the media, our teachers union reps always come across as ill prepared and rarely have facts to back up statements.
    Having 2 unions at second level really is a gift to govt...is it time for one all inclusive second level union..

7 more teaching days from tomorrow!!

Any student or staff member deemed a close contact from tomorrow onwards will be self isolating on Christmas day :(

Stay especially safe this week everyone

Anyone finishing up today? We are here until close of business Tuesday

• Advertisement

Open until Tuesday but I’m very high risk working from home. We’ve pulled my son from primary school for Monday/Tuesday. We’ve been lucky so far but if I can avoid that ‘your child...’ text over Christmas I will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Nobody finishes till Tuesday ,that’s what we’ve been told by our overlords .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Open until 1pm Tuesday.

Fair few won't be in as they are visiting family over Christmas.

It will be a Netflix n Disney+ day. Just seen the Mighty Ducks is on. Havent seen that in years. Totally watching it.

The usual email from management about working to the bell until the end of day with academic work will be promptly ignored.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

Open until 1pm Tuesday.

It will be a Netflix n Disney+ day. Just seen the Mighty Ducks is on. Havent seen that in years. Totally watching it.

The usual email from management about working to the bell until the end of day with academic work will be promptly ignored.

I used to think to myself Ive no problem doing that if you have a means of enforcing discipline via proper consequences etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Snap...we can’t even get a half day on Tuesday !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Open until 1pm Tuesday.

It certainly is dragging out isn't it.

Conversely , we've been told NOT to work on Tuesday (unless it's exam years Yadda Yadda ). Instead were showing videos the TY students made. Also TYs are having a Christmas market thing outdoors for the Monday so that should be nice.

This half-week going and coming back is a right pain.

Treppen wrote: »
    It certainly is dragging out isn't it.

Conversely , we've been told NOT to work on Tuesday (unless it's exam years Yadda Yadda ). Instead were showing videos the TY students made. Also TYs are having a Christmas market thing outdoors for the Monday so that should be nice.

This half-week going and coming back is a right pain.

Sure it will shorten the week we return but fifth seems early

2011abc wrote: »
    Sure it will shorten the week we return but fifth seems early

Ye are back the 5th? Thought every school returns on the 6th as per standardised school calendar.

Ye are back the 5th? Thought every school returns on the 6th as per standardised school calendar.

Oh maybe it is ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Sorry to bump this at this time of year, but would anyone be able to point me in the direction of any official guidelines on mask breaks in secondary schools. I’ve been looking and I can’t seem to find any guidance on mask breaks from official sources. Plenty on wearing masks, but nothing on taking them off.
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement