Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We don’t have a desk in front of us to put it on lol. Maybe they could hang it from the ceiling......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I'm primary and every staff member has three sided perspex on their desk. Bad form. Money is available for this stuff.

We were given a 'free' mask yesterday - that's it!! Someone asked principal they informed us that PPE is expensive so if we can only get one mask, a perspex protection around our desks wouldn't go too far probably told to fund it yourself!! We also have no teacher PCs and no base rooms!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Icsics wrote: »
    I thought they were standard to be honest so it came as a surprise when we were told that consultant letters would be required! Not sure what the P has, she hasn’t been around much

I would be asking her to indemnify you if she is refusing to supply screens and cc it to the school BOM .

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

We are being asked to submit agreed department plans for teaching and learning to the end of October to management by the end of next week. The pretext is that these will be needed in the case of staff absences or remote learning resuming. I've never seen such an erosion of teacher autonomy, micromanagement and lack of collegiality. On the one hand we're talking about being kind to one another, a gentle return for the kids, wellbeing and on the other we're being expected to produce detailed plans in seven days for timetables we've only just received. Is this going on more widely?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,225 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

linguist wrote: »
    We are being asked to submit agreed department plans for teaching and learning to the end of October to management by the end of next week. The pretext is that these will be needed in the case of staff absences or remote learning resuming. I've never seen such an erosion of teacher autonomy, micromanagement and lack of collegiality. On the one hand we're talking about being kind to one another, a gentle return for the kids, wellbeing and on the other we're being expected to produce detailed plans in seven days for timetables we've only just received. Is this going on more widely?

Just throw them the general scheme of work for your subject of where you hope to be each term. That's more than enough.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

We were given a 'free' mask yesterday - that's it!! Someone asked principal they informed us that PPE is expensive so if we can only get one mask, a perspex protection around our desks wouldn't go too far probably told to fund it yourself!! We also have no teacher PCs and no base rooms!

I know of at least three schools that staff got welcome back vouchers, masks, visor, hand cream and a welcome card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I know of at least three schools that staff got welcome back vouchers, masks, visor, hand cream and a welcome card.

We just about got a hello :) Anything that's free is fine. It's a cracking place to work ;) Don't forget .... be kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Jesus, that's generous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Jesus, that's generous!!

We got a welcome back pack, tissues, water, beautiful custom made cup cakes with school logo and voucher for local coffee shop.
    On the other hand-- the school is like a building site/dump, there are no arrangements yet for students' breaktime, homework, books in class etc and only saw our timetable today for first time.

Priorities!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

What different schools doing for PE?

all outdoors?
    changing rooms etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

School has made a great effort to ensure safety. Lot of practical ideas and it's obvious management we're busy. Just not sure it will work with so many people in the building, but we will give it out best shot and see what happens. Definitely preparation in place for a second shutdown.

This.

The work that management in our place and many places have done has been phenomenal. Its been a mammoth task. I do fear that come the end of September it will have been for nothing but everyone really has put the shoulder to the wheel

Is everyone wearing a mask when teaching, or a mask and visor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I have two friends teaching in my local post primary school. They are back Monday. So far there has been zero reference to face coverings in any of the communications or Covid policy documents received from the school. Not even one mention. Masks (FFP2 or 3) are referred to in the school's Covid response plan only in the context of dealing with a suspected case and First Aid. Otherwise, no mention whatsoever. This seems ridiculous. One of them has emailed a query about it but no response yet.

I have two friends teaching in my local post primary school. They are back Monday. So far there has been zero reference to face coverings in any of the communications or Covid policy documents received from the school. Not even one mention. Masks (FFP2 or 3) are referred to in the school's Covid response plan only in the context of dealing with a suspected case and First Aid. Otherwise, no mention whatsoever. This seems ridiculous. One of them has emailed a query about it but no response yet.

It's in the DES guidelines, so maybe the school are just presuming they have read them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's in the DES guidelines, so maybe the school are just presuming they have read them

The parents and students have received no information either. Personally I don't think it's acceptable to rely on a staff of 100 having all read and interpreted the guidelines properly, which have changed recently and are vague unless interpreted in specific school context (is distancing maintained? Where is it not? etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Good morning all. I hope everyone is well.

I'm just catching up on this thread today after not being online since Wedneaday. Wow, the last 3 days were so full on and I was only fit for sleep after getting home and attending to my personal life duties.

Quite a few frustrating days, mostly spent wasting time on ICT. Wifi not working, printers and photocopiers down and connection cables for devices not delivered yet so no access to any ICT for the first week or so. We are also having compatibility issues with devices.

Kids back for inductions at staggered times. For the most part they were trying their best but a lot of issues became apparent already - too many to go into, but many of the rules make the day to day running of a school very impractical. Some behavioural issues already with regard thr masks too.

In terms of what my principal has done - I am very happy. It is far from ideal but he put the money into the right things from what I can see.

PPE: The masks that we got are really comfortable. 5 each for staff and students. 1 visor each. Hand sanitiser on backs of all doors and disinfectant spray and paper in each room. Spray can of disinfectant for laptops and devices for each staff member.

ICT: He purchased a laptop for each of us - not cheap with 90 staff. This will be a great help for the year. I've asked for a clicker thingy for powerpoints and principal is also looking into a suggestion by a staff member to purchase some voice amplifiers for anyone who wants one. I think I'll be fine with what I have.

Timetables & logistics: a lot of work has gone into making sure that everyone on site has some supervision of satellite rooms/learning support/team teaching so that everyone gets a break from full classes at some stage. We have kept our staff room (minus cutlery, plates etc) and a second satellite staff room has been provided for us. We will have 4 isolation rooms in different parts of the school. All former AP1 offices that they have had to give up.

We have no perspex screens available to us. Huge internet issues at moment. We are being set up for closure and there was talk of live streaming and recording classes but this will be discussed at length next week and union guidance is being sought.

I'm nervous about the return and I think when the kids are fully back, it is only a matter of time before we are closed again. However, I really couldn't have asked for any more from my principal. I think he has done very well and I really do believe his staff are at the forefront of his mind.

That’s really excellent bananaleaf. I’m glad it’s going ok.

I’m dying to get going now. The school was starting to look a bit more ready yesterday and I know they are in today too. There is a huge amount of confusion among staff though and a bit of a lack of common sense/thinking things through. Like the first thing for most of us is a staff meeting. Widespread confusion that they can’t all go to the staffroom first. For context, there’s like 60 of us!

Also the shift from visors to masks at the last minute with the cleared DES guidelines that visors are only for specific circumstances has caused confusion and anger among staff who don’t want to wear a mask

Well the staff meeting was fairly funny. Chairs 2m apart, rest to go to overflow rooms and join the meet, ‘can I not Just bring in a chair’.... eh no lol but to be fair it’s settling well now and everyone is getting used to the sanitise your space every time you leave it.

It’s nice to start seeing students around the place though friday is our first full blown all 750+ students in. For the first time I think since I started here I don’t have any first years on the day they have their full timetable.

On masks, are many schools insisting on them outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ngunners

Well the staff meeting was fairly funny. Chairs 2m apart, rest to go to overflow rooms and join the meet, ‘can I not Just bring in a chair’.... eh no lol but to be fair it’s settling well now and everyone is getting used to the sanitise your space every time you leave it.

It’s nice to start seeing students around the place though friday is our first full blown all 750+ students in. For the first time I think since I started here I don’t have any first years on the day they have their full timetable.

Surely when students (and staff) are outside it’s a chance to get a break from the masks.

ngunners wrote: »
    Surely when students (and staff) are outside it’s a chance to get a break from the masks.

That was my thoughts....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Staff and/or students?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I thought masks were for inside only. That seemed to change at breaktime when the DP was shouting at everyone in the yard to put them back on. I didn’t hang around to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Surely we can't be expecting masks outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭combat14

maybe masks everywhere is a good idea ..

New evidence of airborne coronavirus spread - study

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0901/1162614-covid-bus-china/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

ngunners wrote: »

Strictly speaking the masks are to be worn when social distancing cannot be maintained so whether they are inside or outside that applies. If they are standing two metres apart outside they don't need them. If they're not they do need them.

Obviously in practice it is unenforceable and that's the reason they'll get a break from wearing their masks, not because it's a good idea. Principals and teachers will get tired of fire-fighting after a month of this.

Once distance maintained why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm returning to repeat the lc in the lmetb building in King Street, Drogheda. While I was there yesterday to fill out some forms, they had hand sanitizer on the walls in various places, and were wearing masks (as was I). We'll be starting next week, on tuesday I think.

I thought masks were for inside only. That seemed to change at breaktime when the DP was shouting at everyone in the yard to put them back on. I didn’t hang around to clarify.

I thought the same until the principal came on the intercom. That’s a really difficult expectation to be honest. I assumed outside was mask break time

1st years in my school yesterday. At least 5 I met didn't bring a mask ( perhaps school's fault as they did say they would supply 2). When I told them to introduce themselves to person beside them, many automatically pulled down the mask and leaned in to the person to talk.
    So many were figeting with masks during induction, and many masks were ill fitting, falling down over their noses. As soon as they got out the front door they were all standing together in huge groups, no masks, no distancing.
    Some teachers are not much better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I can't even work out what the variables are in schools. We had 1st, 3rd and 6th in so far, all in masks without being hassled or even reminded, generally well fitting. One or two students out of half the school needed to be reminded to pull the mask over their noses. Coming into and leaving classes is a bottleneck, they are not great at keeping away from each other but that's new so we will see in a week or two. I was very impressed with hand sanitizing and masks though, really diligently done by the vast majority. I saw more issues with the adults on the bus too and from

Advertisement