Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG CX on special in Harvey Norman this weekend only. Can pay deposit.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Do you have any issues with the brightness of the tv? OLED's cannot get nearly as bright as most tvs when it comes bright full picture scenes. How does it fair in daylight watching something?

grogi wrote: »
    Samsung TVs are a completely different league all right :D I love their simple remote, but that's about it. They will even put different panes - sometimes IPS, sometimes VA panel, in exactly same TV model. You never know what you get with Samsung, much worse than LG all right.

I am in between Samsungs lowest rung (TU7000) and an Oled :D Impossible to tell which panel the Sammys have until you get it alright.

Currently I am using a 27 inch 4k LG IPS monitor as the tv. The colours are great on it but the ips glow and just general greyness is absolutely infuriating tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Do you have any issues with the brightness of the tv? OLED's cannot get nearly as bright as most tvs when it comes bright full picture scenes. How does it fair in daylight watching something?

No problem with that, it is an overblown complain IMHO.

OLEDs can get to approximately ~750 nits of brightness, that it perfectly usable in a very bright room.
    I am in between Samsungs lowest rung (TU7000) and an Oled :D Impossible to tell which panel the Sammys have until you get it alright.

I had the NU7400. My first impressions were very good: I got a good VA panel with great uniformity. Decent picture quality it had. I also loved the smart solutions to guide cables through the stand and in the grooves on the back of the TV. Better ergonomy of the OS, fantastic remote with much bigger device database than in the LG that replaced it. Built-in Steam client was another plus.

But.... It wouldn't install any apps, because it didn't have any capacity left. From the box! (https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/apps-storage-space-issue/td-p/808085). Had to send it back, it was unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Alot of the issues are stuff 90% of users will never notice.
    I think the debate is more picking out the difference between LG and their competitors in a similar price bracket.

It will be a massive upgrade on any tv you have had previously. Well wear , just make sure you make the most of it and remember the best content for these tvs will be a UHD blu ray player and some movies to go with it . The streaming services are all compressed and wont achieve the same quality as a UHD player.

I'll be using it solely for PS5 and Netflix. I heard good things about it on the PS5 but as you said, streaming services are compressed but I should still notice an upgrade from my Sony 43KDL

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'll be using it solely for PS5 and Netflix. I heard good things about it on the PS5 but as you said, streaming services are compressed but I should still notice an upgrade from my Sony 43KDL

If you're using external sound source, such as AVR, connect the PS5 through it. You'll avoid sound delays, even if it means you'd need to game at 1080p/120Hz instead of 4K. Picture quality degradation is more psychological than anything else, but sound delays ARE objectively seen.

Lack of DTS in the TV will not affect you, as Netflix is using DD+ (although you cannot setup the TV to send only the vanilla DD over ARC/eARC if your receiver/soundbar has issues with DD+).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

If you're using external sound source, such as AVR, connect the PS5 through it.

Lack of DTS in the TV will not affect you, as Netflix is using DD+ (although you cannot setup the TV to send only the vanilla DD over ARC/eARC if your receiver/soundbar has issues with DD+).

Being an electronics geek.. sound has surprisingly not been something I cared about. Up until very recently, I played PS5 through TV speakers. Now using a headset.

I saw lots of chat about DTS here but it's definitely not something I'm concerned about. I can't wait to get the TV tomorrow. Just hope Harvey Norman don't delay my order again.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Being an electronics geek.. sound has surprisingly not been something I cared about. Up until very recently, I played PS5 through TV speakers. Now using a headset.

Sound is a weird one, all right. You don't care about it until someday it clicks and you cannot stop caring.

It is also much more difficult to quantify, which means it can easily turn into slippery slope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Sound is a weird one, all right. You don't care about it until someday it clicks and you cannot stop caring.

It is also much more difficult to quantify, which means it can easily turn into slippery slope :D

I think there is more effort being put into it now also with the likes of Dolby Atmos being utilised on alot of the new TV shows. Having a good setup really helps create the cinema feel.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In my experience, my LG C9 is absolutely magnificent. I can't recommend highly enough LG OLED's to people.

I've honestly not experienced any of the issues grogi has listed, frankly they are laughably niche (other then DTS), like seriously, non replaceable power cord and who the hell cares about IR anymore when you have a Bluetooth remote and CEC!

Also I've had no problems with Firmware upgrades, they have been great, adding extra functionality like Airplay, Homekit and fixing minor issues.

No TV is perfect of course, for instance the Sony mentioned here only has 2 HDMI 2.1 ports (versus 4 on LG) and doesn't support VRR, which are both mad emissions in a 3k TV in 2021.

Don't get me wrong, both are fantastic TV's, hardly surprising as in the end they both use the same LG Display OLED panel, which will mean similar picture quality. Sure CPU, firmware, etc. can make a difference. But I've been extremely impressed by Webos, the firmware updates and the great magic remote, etc.

The LG really makes for a fantastic all round TV. Amazing PQ, every streaming app from UK and Ireland you would want, saorview + freesat, fantastic remote, Google Home, Amazon Alexa, Apple Airplay, etc.

I'm sure the Sony is just as amazing a TV too. When I bought my LG C9, I also looked at the Sony, but it was over €1000 more at the time and I really didn't see anything to justify that extra money. You are basically paying 1,000 more for the same LG Display OLED panel! The way I looked at it is, the €1,000 I saved went to buying an amazing Dolby Atmos soundbar, which frankly made vastly more difference then any differences between the LG and Sony.

I think this is an important point, if upgrading to a top of the line premium TV's like this, you should be budgeting for all the other parts that go with it too. A decent Dolby Atmos soundbar/AV + speakers, a PS5/XSX or other UHD bluray player, a bunch of your favourite movies in UHD bluray and probably paying for a couple of the streaming services like Netflix, Disney, etc. in UHD. All to take advantage of such nice TV's

Of course this is all first world problems territory. We are talking about 2 to 3k TV's here. Both are amazing. It is like people arguing which is the better Hyper sports car. I think anyone who buys either of these TV's will be blown away by them.

I can highly recommend LG OLED's, but do your homework, compare them on rtings.com, watch the HDTest video reviews on youtube and of course consider the price difference and your overall budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I never heard of this being a thing - I've a 65" LG OLED from 2016/17ish and never noticed any issues in full daylight

• Advertisement

Non issue in most rooms , if for some reason you are placing the TV in an incredibly well lit area such as a conservatory or a room with a huge amount of natural light then you need to be slightly more careful, but that being said the brightness levels are increasing ever year in the OLED panels.

If you have a think about how well lit up the likes of Harvey Norman are and there are no issues there, is the room you are going to be placing it in significantly brighter ? For most the answer would be no.

This is off topic but have people noticed over the last five years or so how voices in movies/tv shows are near inaudible? Its definitely something to do with the encoding for surround, or something like that. I had to get a soundbar for an old tv just to make it a bit better. Even then I always still had to play around with the EQ so I could properly hear the voices and not turn on subtitles!

I have noticed it everywhere lately, especially on Netflix :mad: It totally ruins the experience

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

This is off topic but have people noticed over the last five years or so how voices in movies/tv shows are near inaudible? Its definitely something to do with the encoding for surround, or something like that. I had to get a soundbar for an old tv just to make it a bit better. Even then I always still had to play around with the EQ so I could properly hear the voices and not turn on subtitles!

I have noticed it everywhere lately, especially on Netflix :mad: It totally ruins the experience

Nail on head!

Watched the new Without Remorse movie the other day. Fukk me, half the dialogue was inaudible!
    Tried it through my 5.1. Turned the centre up full, and turned the surrounds way down, and it still sounded sh1te!
    Might try invest in a decent 3-way centre speaker to see if that will improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I've been reading into it and it's usually bad balancing in terms of surround and from TVs it's just that they have tinpot speakers due to the size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Are people actually using this with the built-in speakers?

LG soundbar works great for me with atmos etc. Note this only works over hdmi, it won't work over optical or wireless. Works fine from native apps. When playing from pc need to change some options to enable pass-through.

LG C8 - 2 years no burnin. But I don't watch silly channels with logos.

I can also report that the screen is "cat proof" for whatever that's worth...

Yes. The mixing recently became unbearable, the side tracks are far too laud.

That's why I am running a separate centre speaker that's 3dB hot compared to what the calibration says. Makes the dialogue stand out and easier to understand.

Side note: higher end Yamaha AVRs have a very nice DSP program called Dialog Level Adjustment. It is smarter than just upping the volume of centre track (what most of the AVR do), but identifying where the dialogue is and bumping only that.
    srsly78 wrote: »
    Are people actually using this with the built-in speakers?

Some are - the LG OLEDs have surprisingly capable speakers. The response curve is reasonably flat at 80 dB SPL - they only lack bass below 80Hz. If only LG added one option and allowed to use built-in speakers with volume controlled audio-out (you can have volume controlled audio-out, but not at the same time as the speakers or functional internal speakers, but with audio-out at full volume). You could then connect a wired sub - it would make a setup that seriously kicks ass, sounds better than any soundbar < €300, have no compatibility and delay issues, takes minimal space and be very tidy - all at the same time.
    srsly78 wrote: »
    LG soundbar works great for me with atmos etc. Note this only works over hdmi, it won't work over optical or wireless. Works fine from native apps. When playing from pc need to change some options to enable pass-through.

That's surprising cause LG soundbards are not the best when it comes to dialogue clarity. The dialogue channel in virtually all of them (exp. SN9YG) have a massive dip where our hearing is most sensitive or slightly above that, like around 4.5kHz. One can easily hear it, but maybe you haven't compared it to anything else :) Ignorance is a bliss in that case ;)

With my hatred for Samsung TVs, they IMHO make surprisingly nice soundbars.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash2020

8k displays are coming soon

ash2020 wrote: »

Only to squeeze you out of more cash. 4K already exceeds the resolution of human eye.
    For a person with 20/20 vision, while sitting 10 feet away, one would need about a 75-inch display-diagonal for HD, 120-inch for 4K, and a whopping 280 inches for 8K to be able to distinguish the resolution!

More marketing bull . There is barely any widely accessible 4k content. Its generally accepted for 8k to see any benefit the screen is massive and you need to be sitting up against it otherwise the human eye will not even register it.

There are no major plans for shooting content in 8k , i would not hold off on a tv purchase in waiting for 8k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭micks_address

More marketing bull . There is barely any widely accessible 4k content. Its generally accepted for 8k to see any benefit the screen is massive and you need to be sitting up against it otherwise the human eye will not even register it.

There are no major plans for shooting content in 8k , i would not hold off on a tv purchase in waiting for 8k.

Also it seems 8k TVs are substantially worse than 4K for most content from reviews I’ve seen... hdr is probably the biggest impact in recent years..ok 4K at 65 inch maybe but for most hd at 55 is still pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EarWig

https://www.ibc.org/trends/nhk-confirms-plans-for-8k-broadcast-of-2020-olympics-and-paralympics/5559.article

EarWig wrote: »
    The olympics is always the showcase event for the next level of HD tv . But nobody will buy a TV on the back of it.

NHK has recorded in 8k since 2016. But that still hasnt led to it being widely broadcast in even 4k.

The other issue is providers looking for extra €'s from subscribers for HD, 4k or 8k content. Again it pushes it further into the niche realm. I believe as of this moment there is no single channel broadcasting in 4k for all its content.

EarWig wrote: »

Recording in 8k is completely different animal to watching in 8k. More pixels at source give much bigger cropping/zooming capabilities. You can zoom 4x and still have full HD resolution!

Watching in 8k is completely pointless.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This is a combination of issues.

- TV's becoming super thin, which means very small speakers which are either downward firing or back firing, neither are ideal *
    - More and more content coming specifically mixed for 5.1 or the likes of Dolby Atmos which then don't mix well down to such poor stereo speakers.

This makes at least a cheap surround bar a most for most TV's

* Though I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the LG OLED's speakers, their AI sound thing actually works quiet well. Fine for day to day watching, though I still went and got a nice soundbar to really make the most of it.

I would have agreed with you up until about a year or so ago. But it has really changed in the past year and now there is loads of 4k and even more importantly IMO HDR content.

Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV, Now TV, Amazon Prime are all pumping out loads of 4k/HDR content.

And of course the PS5/XSX with 4k games + UHD bluray discs.

Of course if you mostly watch live TV, then yes, you are right, there isn't much 4k there. But personally I can't stand live TV and all the ads any more and other then the odd match and maybe the news from time to time, all my watching is the above streaming services.

Again that is why I'd say if you are buying a TV like this, you should also be budgeting to sub to the various streaming services + UHD to make the most of the TV.

As an aside I dropped Sky years ago (use saorview + freesat instead for live TV) and the above streaming services cost less then a Sky package, with better content, in 4k/HDR and no ads, vastly better value IMO. I think Sky is only worth it for sports fans.
    With my hatred for Samsung TVs, they IMHO make surprisingly nice soundbars.

Yep, that is why I have paired my LG C9 with a Samsung Q950T soundbar. Incredible sound.

Though it definitely has it's own annoyances:

- Power cables are too short :D
    - No auto calibration of the speakers, poor for such an expensive soundbar in this day and age.
    - Poorly positioned screen
    - A pain in the hole to adjust the audio levels, etc.
    - Very poor app with very limited functionality and info there.

Having said that it sounds fantastic and it looks like they have fixed some of these issues in the new models about to be released.

bk wrote: »
    This is a combination of issues.

- TV's becoming super thin, which means very small speakers which are either downward firing or back firing, neither are ideal *
    - More and more content coming specifically mixed for 5.1 or the likes of Dolby Atmos which then don't mix well down to such poor stereo speakers.

This makes at least a cheap surround bar a most for most TV's

I'll allow myself to disagree.

This is a result of poor sound levels, too much effects, too little dialogue. It sells - because at first it looks more exciting. I am often pressed to hear the dialogue while listening on a full-blown Home Cinema setup - hence the ridiculously overexposed centre channel.
    I would have agreed with you up until about a year or so ago. But it has really changed in the past year and now there is loads of 4k and even more importantly IMO HDR content.

Even if there was abundance of 8K content, it still would be completely pointless. We simply cannot see the difference! Our eyes don't have the angular resolution to see the difference between 4K and 8K when you have whole screen in your vision. Even 4K is often pushing it, but in some scenarios there will be marginal difference (not worth the bandwidth and effort in my personal opinion tough).

High Dynamic Range, Wide Color Gamut, High Refresh Rate - those are things we can see. 8K - nah.
    Yep, that is why I have paired my LG C9 with a Samsung Q950T soundbar. Incredible sound.

Though it definitely has it's own annoyances:

- Power cables are too short :D

Yet you can replace them with longer ones - AFAIR those are regular 8-style cables. With LG you can't ;)

Even if there was abundance of 8K content, it still would be completely pointless.

I agree on 8k, the comment I was replying to said there isn't much 4k content, I was saying that there is now lots of 4k and more importantly HDR content. So a good time to jump into 4k/HDR now.

I was late to 4k compared to many, but then I had a lovely Pioneer Kuro, so it was only worth jumping when a good enough TV came along to better it and enough 4k/HDR content. I'll probably be just as late to 8k.
    Yet you can replace them with longer ones - AFAIR those are regular 8-style cables. With LG you can't ;)

Sort of, they are L shaped figure 8, but a shorter length on the end then normal, so I had to buy specialist expensive cables specifically designed for it.

For the TV, I always use a high quality surge protector extension anyway, so no issue there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When the 4K was introducted 'they' said 4K was the max amount of pixels the eye could see.

AllForIt wrote: »
    When the 4K was introducted 'they' said 4K was the max amount of pixels the eye could see.

And they are sort of right at normal sitting distance you can't tell the difference between 4k and HD from a decent source like a Bluray. Unless I get right up to my TV and pixel peep, I can't tell the difference between my old HD TV and 4k while sitting on the sofa.

What does make a difference is HDR, it makes for a noticeably improved picture quality.

Also UHD and 4k streaming services simply sending more data on a 4k stream helps to give more data for a better overall picture.

And of course if you are upgrading to a newer TV, specially OLED from LCD/LED, it will simply look better because of better technology (panel, processor, etc.).

You'd want a TV of over 100" to make 8k worth it at normal viewing distances. Of course computer monitors are a different story:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

You'd want a TV of over 100" to make 8k worth it at normal viewing distances.

More like 220" at 10 ft viewing distance :)
    Of course computer monitors are a different story

Because you're sitting much closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

HDR + OLED Pure Black = Awesome picture quality.

Advertisement