Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG CX on special in Harvey Norman this weekend only. Can pay deposit.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Soarer wrote: »
    HDR + OLED Pure Black = Awesome picture quality.

Be careful with statements like that, as it all depends how you understand HDR.

Is it just a marketing term for high maximum brightness or technically correct understanding of dynamic range, which would be more-less equivalent to contrast ratio. If the latter, the OLED Pure Black implies HDR :]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Nevermind pixel counting. I just played call of duty at 120hz on my new CX and oh my god, I am in love with my new TV!!!

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Nevermind pixel counting. I just played call of duty at 120hz on my new CX and oh my god, I am in love with my new TV!!!

120 Hz is fantastic all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Coming to this thread late unfortunately - All these rave reviews for LG OLEDs have me very interested again - Where's the best place to pick up a 55" - 65" LG OLED at the minute and which model is the one to go for.

- Money is no object.

* Nah - Looking for a bargain - Don't be daft!

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Coming to this thread late unfortunately - All these rave reviews for LG OLEDs have me very interested again - Where's the best place to pick up a 55" - 65" LG OLED at the minute and which model is the one to go for.

- Money is no object.

I personally haven't seen any particular places to get it from on the cheap so I just went with Harvey Norman for my 48" which is annoyingly MORE expensive than the larger models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

grogi wrote: »
    Even 4K is often pushing it, but in some scenarios there will be marginal difference (not worth the bandwidth and effort in my personal opinion tough).

High Dynamic Range, Wide Color Gamut, High Refresh Rate - those are things we can see. 8K - nah.

The bandwidth would probably be better utilised as a higher bit rate on HD streams to reduce artefacts and banding (but with HDR and Wide Colour which do make a difference).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

- Money is no object.

I got mine from richersounds.ie they have last years CX series reduced, 55" CX for €1299 and 65" CX for €1999, the newly released versions of these are the C1's and they cost €1849 (55) and €2649 (65).

So about €550 to €650 less for almost the same TV. HDTest just published a video on youtube comparing the C9, CX and C1 and while there are some very small differences, he basically recommended that they are all so close that just buy the one you can get the best deal on.

Last year I did the same, I bought my C9 just as the CX was released, C9 was €1950 at the time, while the CX was €3000 at the time! No regrets at all, there is so little difference between year models of OLEDs that buying last years models just as the new ones come out is a great way to get a bargain. Has been fantastic during lockdown.
    I personally haven't seen any particular places to get it from on the cheap so I just went with Harvey Norman for my 48" which is annoyingly MORE expensive than the larger models.

The 48" are pretty new, unique and niche and are actually harder to make then the 55/65, so as a result you don't see deals on them yet like you would with the 55/65 models.
    dam099 wrote:
    The bandwidth would probably be better utilised as a higher bit rate on HD streams to reduce artefacts and banding (but with HDR and Wide Colour which do make a difference).

That is basically what you get when you go to 4k streams. They aren't anywhere as good as a UHD disc, more like getting a better quality HD stream. I actually know some people specifically signed up to 4k streaming services, even though they had only HD TV's, downscaling the 4k gave a better PQ then native HD!

bk wrote: »
    That is basically what you get when you go to 4k streams. They aren't anywhere as good as a UHD disc, more like getting a better quality HD stream. I actually know some people specifically signed up to 4k streaming services, even though they had only HD TV's, downscaling the 4k gave a better PQ then native HD!

That would be me too... I couldn't care less about 4K, but 'bout Dolby Vision I do.

BK thanks for providing all of that info - You're very good.

Final question folks - There's no way the kids are going to always remember to turn this off, they come and come from the room and would often forget that the TV is on.

This leads me to think we'd be a classic candidate for burn-in within a year.

However - I did a small bit of reading and it seems that you can set a moving image screensaver to kick in after a minute or two?

Can anyone confirm that the TV itself can be set up protect itself against my family!??!

I don't really want to wait until they move out to go to College.

Also I see on Reddit that LG in the US were replacing panels due to burn-in issues and also people on there were saying that some retailers extended warranty would cover you for issues - Can anyone on here advise if there's any retailer in particular who would be known for this type of thing?

BK thanks for providing all of that info - You're very good.

Final question folks - There's no way the kids are going to always remember to turn this off, they come and come from the room and would often forget that the TV is on.

However - I did a small bit of reading and it seems that you can set a moving image screensaver to kick in after a minute or two?

Can anyone confirm that the TV itself can be set up protect itself against my family!??!

I don't really want to wait until they move out to go to College.

Also I see on Reddit that LG in the US were replacing panels due to burn-in issues and also people on there were saying that some retailers extended warranty would cover you for issues - Can anyone on here advise if there's any retailer in particular who would be known for this type of thing?

The screen saver is on by default. It won't kick in if you're watching external source, such as Apple TV - but if you stick to built in apps, you will be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

Very interested in picking one of these up myself. Is the general consensus these are pretty much the best TVs money can buy at the moment? Or at least for a relatively not too ridiculous price?
    I was looking at the 65" but I have this unit: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/lappland-tv-storage-unit-black-brown-30285153/

Any ideas on what the exact measurement of the tv out of the with the stand is? I measured with tape and it looks like a 65" tv should just about fit but it depends on if the bezels around it are massive or not. Will be tight.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've a little monster too :) and can confirm the screensaver kicks in after a minute or two of being paused.

As grogi says, this only applies to the built in apps, not external devices, but the built-in apps are great, so should be fine for kids.

There are also other behind the scenes protections, like an image shiffter, etc.

Haven't noticed any issues with screen burn in after a year.

Richer Sounds offer a 5 year warranty, but I'm not sure if it includes burn in or not. You could ask over on the richer sounds forum here on boards.
    AndyOHart wrote: »
    Very interested in picking one of these up myself. Is the general consensus these are pretty much the best TVs money can buy at the moment? Or at least for a relatively not too ridiculous price?
    I was looking at the 65" but I have this unit: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/lappland-tv-storage-unit-black-brown-30285153/

Any ideas on what the exact measurement of the tv out of the with the stand is? I measured with tape and it looks like a 65" tv should just about fit but it depends on if the bezels around it are massive or not. Will be tight.

Yes, OLED's are pretty much the best TV's you can buy at the moment, outside of ridiculously priced reference monitors. Pretty much all the high end TV's are using OLED now. LG Display make the OLED panel, then LG, Sony, Pioneer, Philips etc. sell TV's built around these panels. There can be differences in features that each model/manufacturer can have, how they are configured, firmware, etc.

In general any OLED is going to be pretty damn nice, but you can look at prices and watch reviews on HDTest and do comparisons on rtings to see the differences and if they matter to you or not.

In terms of size, just look up the specs of any TV you are interested in, it should give you the measurements so you can check if it will fit.

AndyOHart wrote: »

To an untrained eye all OLED TVs will have exactly the same picture quality. LG being the cheapest have best "picture quality to price" ratio, no doubt about that.

However, I have previously expressed my frustration with both Korean brands, their complete lack of consistency, horrible customer support and buggy firmware releases. I definitely won't call any LG OLED the best TV, as a whole. If I was gambling with my money again, I'd bet on Japanese product this time: probably Panasonic, but would give a Sony a consideration as well.

55" is 122cm wide. Scaling proportionally the 65" is 144cm wide. Actually, according to this it is 143cm wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭EarWig

I use it as a 3rd PC monitor and play everything via a HDMI cable. The screensaver never kicks in but it does automatically dim if static. I am careful but am not as paranoid about burn in as I was at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Del007

Looking to get a 75 inch tv for our log cabin out in the garden.

Looking to spend a maximum of 1,500 (just buy a smaller TV, will ya :) )

I know nothing about tv's so would love some help.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Been waiting to buy an OLED for the last few years and went for the LG GX 75” last October. Price of a small car but an absolute beast of a TV.

Have it paired with a Sonos Arc sound bar with a pair of Sonos Ones for surround. Sonos Arc is eArc compatible and Netflix Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos from the LG is just amazing.

I have had high end TVs for years and the leap to OLED is well worth the money especially on large format screens

Lot of talk about burn in. I would have sworn I accidentally opened a thread from 2011!!

As others said, the screensaver thing is quick to kick in once something is paused. Not too sure what protection it has if I leave my Firestick or PS5 idle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

slegs wrote: »
    Been waiting to buy an OLED for the last few years and went for the LG GX 75” last October. Price of a small car but an absolute beast of a TV.

Have it paired with a Sonos Arc sound bar with a pair of Sonos Ones for surround. Sonos Arc is eArc compatible and Netflix Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos from the LG is just amazing.

I have had high end TVs for years and the leap to OLED is well worth the money especially on large format screens

Would you not go full surround sound if spending that much on the telly?

Ush1 wrote: »

One of the reasons I bought the GX model was for aesthetics which the Sonos setup does well while having really good sound. I can add the Sonos subwoofer later for full surround if needed but the bass from the Arc is very good

What for? A high-end soundbar (Sonos Arc, Samsung Q950, Klipsch Cinema et al) with two satellite speakers would give you sound quality exceeding imagination of 99% of the population? All for a fraction of a price, much less cables and more compact packaging?

Discrete audio systems are great - but to do them right you need a lot of money, a lot of space and a lot of work (conceiving wires isn't easy)...

• Advertisement

One of the reasons I bought the GX model was for aesthetics which the Sonos setup does well while having really good sound. I can add the Sonos subwoofer later for full surround if needed but the bass from the Arc is very good

Would a decent receiver, speakers and subwoofer not be cheaper and better?

Sound bar looks nice but it's fairly expensive.

grogi wrote: »
    What for? A high-end soundbar (Sonos Arc, Samsung Q950, Klipsch Cinema et al) with two satellite speakers would give you sound quality exceeding imagination of 99% of the population? All for a fraction of a price, much less cables and more compact packaging?

Discrete audio systems are great - but to do them right you need a lot of money, a lot of space and a lot of work (conceiving wires isn't easy)...

I've listened to some soundbars and they lack the bass of a sub with receiver. Looking at the prices of the Sonos stuff you'd get a 5.1 system cheaper.

If it’s decent then to be better it likely won’t be cheaper (when all elements costed) and you have to locate the receiver and wire the speakers. One of my main needs was a clean flush wall mounted TV and sound bar with no visible wires and no TV boxes. The Sonos surrounds are wireless and mounted on neat custom stands. Sound is excellent compare to most dedicated receivers. Check the reviews. The Sonos Arc is actually a pretty high end receiver in a sound bar format

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭EarWig

Seeing as this thread has gone all over the place.

Can anyone recommend a floor stand for for the CX48?

I've listened to some soundbars and they lack the bass of a sub with receiver. Looking at the prices of the Sonos stuff you'd get a 5.1 system cheaper.

Well first of all, you can get high end soundbar systems that come with a wireless sub and wireless rear speakers. Mine does, a q950 and the sub could shake the whole building.

Also you aren't comparing like with like. A 5.1 isn't a Dolby Atmos system, Dolby Atmos requires at least 5.1.2, but really you'd want 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 for a proper Dolby Atmos setup.

While my soundbar system isn't cheap at around €1,000, I priced up a 5.1.2 system and they ended up costing at least €2,000 up!

I actually replaced an older 5.1 system with my soundbar system and the soundbar is VASTLY superior to my old 5.1. I can only turn my Soundbar up to 25 (out of 100) before it comes too loud for my home!

Now don't get me wrong, of course if I had dropped say €3000 on a KEF 7.1.2 speaker bundle + new AV, it would likely outclass my soundbar, but then that would have been triple the price!

Plus my better half would murder me if I tried to install 7.1.4 in our living room :D There are other practical considerations, needing to run wires everywhere, the look of it, kids running around tripping over the speakers, ease of use for family, etc.

Of course if you have a dedicated home cinema room, go for 7.1.4, but for 99% of people a decent soundbar system is fantastic IMO.

Cheers, I'm looking at a soundbar system now to replace my old 5.1.

Cheers, I'm looking at a soundbar system now to replace my old 5.1.

Just remember most of the cheap soundbars are rubbish so do your research and test out in store if you can.

Just remember most of the cheap soundbars are rubbish so do your research and test out in store if you can.

Looking at this LG:

https://www.richersounds.com/lg-sl8y.html

Comes with sub and can be expanded with surround speakers.

Lot of talk about burn in. I would have sworn I accidentally opened a thread from 2011!!

As others said, the screensaver thing is quick to kick in once something is paused. Not too sure what protection it has if I leave my Firestick or PS5 idle though.

All I know is that there does seem to be a fair few posts online with horror stories of people with a Netflix Logo or even the whole seek bar from YouTube burnt into their screen and they are none too happy about it.....

Plenty of people also saying I've my TV for x amount of time now and have no issues so it's all nonsense.

I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

• Advertisement

All I know is that there does seem to be a fair few posts online with horror stories of people with a Netflix Logo or even the whole seek bar from YouTube burnt into their screen and they are none too happy about it.....

Plenty of people also saying I've my TV for x amount of time now and have no issues so it's all nonsense.

I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Problem is your likely reading about different generations of TV's, the older TV's seemed to have more issues and didn't have the various anti-burn in technologies.

Newer gen OLED TV's don't seem to have the same issues and have various techniques to avoid it.

LG seem to be so sure of their new tech, that they are now building OLED PC monitors, which typically would be the worst case scenario for burn in.

Reminds me a lot of the days of Plasma, people use to go on and on about burn-in on Plasmas and I'm sure it happened to early gen plasmas, but it was solved in the later gen, I bought a late gen Pioneer Kuro and 10 years later not a single sign of burn-in.

Advertisement