Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1899 (from the makers of Dark) [Netflix]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Burying the lede there, Black Oil; this is from the creators of Dark, their next project. I'm so in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

pixelburp wrote: »
    Burying the lede there, Black Oil; this is from the creators of Dark, their next project. I'm so in.

I literally paused the video to take a breath once I read the words on screen! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

From the makers of 'Dark'......

"The creators behind the award-winning German series DARK, which received praise and excited fans around the world, have kicked off production for their next and highly anticipated show: “1899”

The eight episodes follow the mysterious circumstances around the voyage of an immigrant ship from Europe to New York. The passengers, all of different backgrounds and nationalities, are united by their hopes and dreams for a new century and their future abroad. When they discover a second ship adrift on the open sea that had gone missing for months, their journey takes an unexpected turn. What they find on board will turn their passage to the promised land into a nightmare-like riddle, connecting each of the passenger’s pasts through a web of secrets."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Looks very interesting. Anything related to Dark just hook it directly to my veins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The creators are writing and producing this time. Total creative control, some familiar faces and Ben Frost doing the score again. It all sounds super positive except only one season has been booked but it will be open for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Great news. Dark is out on its own to the mostly formulaic rubbish we get to sit through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Ben Frost doing the score again..

which is more than obvious from the opening note in that trailer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mod - I've moved the 1899 posts out of the Dark thread into this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1899_(TV_series)

According to our old friend wikipedia, they've only just started filming this. So, one for next year at the earliest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Then first trailer has finally arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

Yes, looking forward to this! The trailer is completely in English but Jantje Friese/Baran bo Odar have said there will be multiple nationalities on board and each will be speaking their own language; it'll be interesting to see how that works - I think it's safe to assume it won't be like Lilyhammer where the locals spoke their native language and Steve Van Sant spoke English yet they were all able to magically understand each other 🙄

I was wondering how language will be sorted as initially, I thought I shared a dubbed trailer but it doesn't appear that way.

Watched it again and genuinely thrilled to engage with this story; I'm trying to keep the hype in check after Dark but it'll be hard not to expect big things.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm on board (pun intended), purely because of the Dark connection.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

A small Behind the Scenes documentary; of note is that it looks like they're using similar tech seen in The Mandalorian with sophisticated projection techniques...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

That worked really well in the Mandalorian alright; as mentioned in the clip one of the key aspects of that in comparison to green screen is the affect of the lighting from the screen on a scene, it makes it looks much more natural.

Can't wait to be very confused and a little disturbed! (until the confusing wears off and it changes to very disturbed! 😁)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That's funny, I was just thinking it was too long since we last heard anything about this. I hope the makers got some kind of decent commitment from Netflix re. story plans & subsequent seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That looks interesting but these days I tend not to commit to something (Especially genre stuff) until I know they have at lease a second season. Been burned too many times.

• Advertisement

New trailer, looks like this will have a fair degree of English in it - befitting the international cast I guess.

Looks fantastic. Can't wait, though there's a big bar to reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,851 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This would have been perfect Halloween weekend viewing, pity it's not out this month.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Cue the oppressive music of dread, then the words "None of this makes any sense".

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Down to office supply store for me to solve the imminent WTF'ery.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I keep thinking Titantic when I see the ship and it's four funnels is that coincidence or on purpuse I wonder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Some shows are perfect winter viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Oh yes, I'm all over this....I just hope the bar isn't set too high for this and it can match and/or exceed Dark. Hopefully Netflix create another website like the one for Dark as a reminder of what you should know for the episode you're currently on, would have been left in the Dark without it 😉

I'm going to adjust my expectations way down for this. It looks great, a real proper mystery with great production design - but nothing else was like Dark, before or since and doubt anyone could repeat the same trick twice over. If this turns out to be "merely" a competent, entertaining thriller then that'll be enough,. hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

bring it on

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

That trailer has me hyped, very excited about this.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I don't do social media, so no idea if this gives a release date. In case it doesn't, here's a cool poster;

Advertisement