Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GOMO network and failure to receive SMS

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Would be more productive if you both dialled down the attitude and listened to what people are telling you here. The problem is with your previous carrier not GoMo. Do you both have the same previous carrier? Contacting the companies you aren't getting texts from would also be a good move chances are texts are failing from one network.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pg17

As far as I know, 2FA SMSs work with all GoMo SIMS while they keep the original number and that the issue discussed recently arises only in limited cases after porting a number from another network.

From other threads it appears that the issue arises when the HLR (Home Location Register) record on the number's original network is not updated fully and so the SMS messages cannot be routed to the GoMo network.

When a customer ports to GoMo, their HLR on the original network should be updated to show they ported to GoMo and if this is done correctly, 2FA will work. If it is not updated correctly and 2FA does not work, the customer needs to try to resolve the issue with the original network rather than with GoMo. This is what others did successfully and why GoMo say everything is OK on the GoMo side.

Home > Topics > Technology & Internet > Consumer Electronics > Mobiles > GOMO network and failure to receive SMS
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058029113

Some or perhaps all the companies sending 2FA messages check the HLR before they send the 2FA message and the 2FA message may fail if the HLR was not updated correctly,.

As an example, a few days after I ported to GoMo I used a ptsb web banking function which needed an SMS verification message, the bank’s system recognised that I changed provider on my mobile number and asked me to wait at least 24 hours before trying the banking function again. The bank’s system has a mandatory delay of 24 hours from when it detects a network change before it will send a verification SMS.

The sequence for ptsb was > I ported > few days later, I tried transaction needing SMS verification > system told me to wait 24 hours > I tried transaction again > system told me to wait 24 hours > bank agent confirmed they knew I changed networks and that I should not repeat the transaction until full 24 hours after my last attempt. That is how they designed the system and that is how it works.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

For what its worth when I moved to Go Mo (from eir) I couldn't receive the BOI texts.

I must have been lucky as the banking365 technical people did something in the background and it started working.....about 9 months later I closed my accounts and moved to n26 and Revolut but it was working.

pg17 wrote: »
    As far as I know, 2FA SMSs work with all GoMo SIMS while they keep the original number and that the issue discussed recently arises only in limited cases after porting a number from another network.

From other threads it appears that the issue arises when the HLR (Home Location Register) record on the number's original network is not updated fully and so the SMS messages cannot be routed to the GoMo network.

When a customer ports to GoMo, their HLR on the original network should be updated to show they ported to GoMo and if this is done correctly, 2FA will work. If it is not updated correctly and 2FA does not work, the customer needs to try to resolve the issue with the original network rather than with GoMo. This is what others did successfully and why GoMo say everything is OK on the GoMo side.

Home > Topics > Technology & Internet > Consumer Electronics > Mobiles > GOMO network and failure to receive SMS

Some or perhaps all the companies sending 2FA messages check the HLR before they send the 2FA message and the 2FA message may fail if the HLR was not updated correctly,.

As an example, a few days after I ported to GoMo I used a ptsb web banking function which needed an SMS verification message, the bank’s system recognised that I changed provider on my mobile number and asked me to wait at least 24 hours before trying the banking function again. The bank’s system has a mandatory delay of 24 hours from when it detects a network change before it will send a verification SMS.

The sequence for ptsb was > I ported > few days later, I tried transaction needing SMS verification > system told me to wait 24 hours > I tried transaction again > system told me to wait 24 hours > bank agent confirmed they knew I changed networks and that I should not repeat the transaction until full 24 hours after my last attempt. That is how they designed the system and that is how it works.

Perfectly put.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

pg17 wrote: »

I ported to Gomo over a year ago. Everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement

I ported to Gomo over a year ago. Everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago.

Sounds more like a phone issue. What os are you using, android or iOS? Have you tried the SIM in a different phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭obi604

Was the 9.99 offer with gomo a once off scenario? Or will it appear up again in a few weeks.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Sounds more like a phone issue. What os are you using, android or iOS? Have you tried the SIM in a different phone?

no tried sim in a different phone same thing. had a small android update yesterday in my usual phone but no change. I'll see if things change in a week and ill just scrap my sim and number.

My number is originally from 48 go conquer its 089. about 5 years ago i ported to vodafone and 18 months ago I ported to gomo. Maybe all this jumping around is causing the issues but it was fine since the last port over a year ago.

I think gomo are bursting at the seams and using a skeleton crew to keep things going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

obi604 wrote: »
    Was the 9.99 offer with gomo a once off scenario? Or will it appear up again in a few weeks.

It won't reappear in a few weeks. 9.99 was the introductory price when it launched. People who joined then got that price for life. The monthly price has risen a few times since, but the first tranche of customers got the 9.99 per month price and will keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Gooser14

no tried sim in a different phone same thing. had a small android update yesterday in my usual phone but no change. I'll see if things change in a week and ill just scrap my sim and number.

Might be a faulty SIM. It might be worth your while asking GoMo to replace your SIM before scrapping your number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I'll see if things change in a week and ill just scrap my sim and number.

If you cancel your number, you lose the lower price.

Another option to consider is get a PAYG SIM for 2FA and never port it. 48 is possibly the cheapest option as it can be kept active for 2e pa (1e every 6 months). Use it in a dual SIM phone or a spare phone. Porting seems to be the root of 2FA SMS problems, at least if it works from day 1 and it never moves, chances are it will stay working.

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Might be a faulty SIM. It might be worth your while asking GoMo to replace your SIM before scrapping your number.

nah i doubt it. I don't have the time to be a fault finder for them. scrap and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

E30M3 wrote: »
    I'll let my complaint with Gomo Run its course and then decide. I expect my current provider to have the means to advise me if there is an issue and what needs to happen to resolve that rather than insist there is nothing they can do and cut me off.

Update for anyone having difficulties with 2FA. This has now been resolved for me via COMREG and GOMO. Both tried to fob me off but I persisted and it is now resolved.

I've asked GOMO what the issue was and I will provide details if they provide this information.

E30M3 wrote: »
    Update for anyone having difficulties with 2FA. This has now been resolved for me via COMREG and GOMO. Both tried to fob me off but I persisted and it is now resolved.

I've asked GOMO what the issue was and I will provide details if they provide this information.

Fair play but I moved on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AnnoyedOfMidleton

Having this problem at present myself. With my bank it was some weeks ago, where it took 8 hours to receive 2FA codes that I needed to input within 5 minutes of the bank sending them. The Bank said everything was fine at their end, and GoMo quite predictably said it was nothing to do with them and I should contact the bank! I asked my bank, Permanent TSB to investigate but of course that has proven a waste of time as they never did.

Today, same problem, only with MyGovID, and its currently at 6 hours with no SMS. GoMo again saying I should find out what network the Irish Government (!) are using so they can then pretend to investigate. This is after their 'routing' nonsense.

I struggle to believe that it's a coincidence that GoMo are involved and it is just everyone else creating the problem, but beyond switching networks no idea how I can force the useless shower of idiots to do anything but fob me off.

FWIW, nothing to do with porting of a phone number as I've been with GoMo for over 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

I have never had any problem with Gomo and PTSB texts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Have had the same 2FA SMS issues with Gomo. Once was when I was trying to pay property tax. Revenue said everything ok at their end. Didn't bother contacting Gomo, don't have the energy to listen to their BS fob offs.

After yet another drama with them and 2-factor codes that never actually arrived, I gave up and switched to Virgin.

Will be more expensive in the long run but I need something I can (possibly) depend on, over something I've found through experience that I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Now you have moved, is the 2fa problem resolved?

Because if gomo are correct, at least in my case, then moving won't resolve the problem. It's supposed to be happening because tesco mobile haven't setup the forwarding correctly. Who are my previous supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

same problem, wife transferred from tesco to gomo, never received 2fa texts since. gave up trying, gomo said nothing to do with them, tesco said the same. i gave up. ive decided to stick with tesco, you need 2fa texts in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭POBox19

A friend had the problem of not getting 2fa texts from PTSB for months and had escalated the issue to comreg etc. to no avail. I took a quick look at the phone and found that the PTSB number, and a few others, were in the blocked numbers file. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Had the exact same issue early last year, a call to PTSB directed me to the Spam & Blocked folder and lo and behold there were all my PTSB authentication codes I wasn't getting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Anyone else having problems with SMSs sent to non-Irish numbers? I've recently discovered that if I text someone (both while abroad and while roaming) on a non +353 number, the message status shows as sent and delivered but the recipient doesn't actually get it. It's not even in spam. I receive all messages those same numbers send me, though, and I can also receive and make calls.

Does anyone know if it's something I should change in my settings or if it's a broader issue?

Thanks.

Advertisement