Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

DylanJM wrote: »
    All time snatch WR. He also jerked 263kg for an all time total record of 485kg.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNhz06ED9Ox/

The man is sensational. Brilliant lifting.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The best thing about that 222 is making it look like it was way inside a WR. Phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The best thing about that 222 is making it look like it was way inside a WR. Phenomenal

Looked stupidly easy.

500 total must be the ultimate goal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Pete Rubish looks 'unhealthy' since getting healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    functional?
    [/url]

Looks like organised epilepsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

functional?

The caption hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Cill94 wrote: »

Big Bendy now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hard to see how quickly the spotters got it off. Nasty

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

He said he had no injuries. Looks like the safeties did their job too.

He said he had no injuries. Looks like the safeties did their job too.

why dont gyms have them as standard? it would save a lot of gym fail videos over the years

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

why dont gyms have them as standard? it would save a lot of gym fail videos over the years

I can't remember being in a gym where there weren't safeties. Might be some that had gone walkabout but haven't seen one where the gym didn't have safeties available.

People don't always use them though. I often see people set up the bar outside the rack and squat with no safeties. No idea why.

And sometimes, where you have racks like in FLYEfit where the spacings are 4" apart, the safeties may be a bit too low to be particularly helpful for some people. For the likes of me that can do the roll of shame, I can at least roll the bar off me and onto the pins but

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I can't remember being in a gym where there weren't safeties. Might be some that had gone walkabout but haven't seen one where the gym didn't have safeties available.

People don't always use them though. I often see people set up the bar outside the rack and squat with no safeties. No idea why.

And sometimes, where you have racks like in FLYEfit where the spacings are 4" apart, the safeties may be a bit too low to be particularly helpful for some people. For the likes of me that can do the roll of shame, I can at least roll the bar off me and onto the pins but

In the flyefit I go to there's one set of safeties for the squat stands but they're so short that a two step walkout takes you outside of their range and there's no safeties for the benches. Would really love for them to be there for the benches especially as it would allow going heavy without a spotter.

my memory is fading at this stage, certainly not seen anyone ever use them but my memory of Westwood anyway is that the standard bench press frame is solid so you couldnt take the safeties from the squat rack for example

In the flyefit I go to there's one set of safeties for the squat stands but they're so short that a two step walkout takes you outside of their range and there's no safeties for the benches. Would really love for them to be there for the benches especially as it would allow going heavy without a spotter.

I forgot about the actual benches. I haven't used them since the first week as I find them terrible. The two settings for rack height are either too high such that you can't lift the bar out or it's too low and you're not far off doing a dead start bench.

I just bench in the rack anyway...I've seen randomers spot people in Baggot St and as soon as the bar slowed in any way, they were all over it and rowed the bar back up. No thanks.

I just bench in the rack anyway...I've seen randomers spot people in Baggot St and as soon as the bar slowed in any way, they were all over it and rowed the bar back up. No thanks.

An online client of mine once asked a guy to spot him on a heavy bench set. Client hits target reps and goes for the rack, but spotter refuses to let him until he grinds out as many more as he can, including a few assisted reps.

Not quite as bad as someone robbing you of a PR by rowing the bar up, but I've experienced both and will never ask for a spot off a stranger anymore!

An online client of mine once asked a guy to spot him on a heavy bench set. Client hits target reps and goes for the rack, but spotter refuses to let him until he grinds out as many more as he can, including a few assisted reps.

Not quite as bad as someone robbing you of a PR by rowing the bar up, but I've experienced both and will never ask for a spot off a stranger anymore!

What a d*ckhead!

Yeah, I'm happy enough to take my chances.

Saw one there recently on someone's story on IG where a girl was doing paused squats in a gym in Spain or somewhere and this lad wanders over to offer a side spot....thinks she's struggling when she pauses and starts to lift up the end of the bar....as the sole spotter. Possibly the most bananas thing I've seen along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

What a d*ckhead!

Yeah, I'm happy enough to take my chances.

Saw one there recently on someone's story on IG where a girl was doing paused squats in a gym in Spain or somewhere and this lad wanders over to offer a side spot....thinks she's struggling when she pauses and starts to lift up the end of the bar....as the sole spotter. Possibly the most bananas thing I've seen along those lines.

I actually know the girl, she has the same coach as me. Apparently stuff like that has been happening a lot while she’s been there, although that was the worst incident.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I actually know the girl, she has the same coach as me. Apparently stuff like that has been happening a lot while she’s been there, although that was the worst incident.

Ah yes....must have been his stories I saw it on.

That was bad.

• Advertisement

Spain seems to be pretty poor in terms of lifting culture. I’ve always struggled to find a gym there that wasn’t just a fitness club with yoga balls and chrome dumbbells.

Last time I was there I somehow found a place that had one squat rack. Whole gym stared at me for all my sets like I was an alien.

Last time I was there I somehow found a place that had one squat rack. Whole gym stared at me for all my sets like I was an alien.

Probably thinking "He should get longer tops" during OHP :pac:

Looking at Jen Thompson benching would sicken ya

18-year-old squats 925 lbs (~420kg).

For a double.

Mother of God!

Jesus Christ how does a child move that kind of weight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Dtp1979 wrote: »

i cried & cursed god.

she is amazing and has shown me I'm clearly not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

paw patrol wrote: »
    i cried & cursed god.

she is amazing and has shown me I'm clearly not :(

i've listened to some interviews with her and it's years and years of effort to bring her bench to where it is. She has perfected the lift !

Anyway - after the guts of 18 months not doing a whole pile with a barbell i've decided 2021 is the year to get back to doing a comp and seeing where I'll be !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Patsy167

What are peoples thoughts on this recent news story - Weightlifter Laurel Hubbard has taken a step closer to becoming the first transgender athlete to compete at an Olympics after qualification rules were changed because of Covid-19.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/weightlifting/57013419

Fair game or unfair advantage?

• Advertisement

I don't know how it could ever be considered fair.

Advertisement