Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long for a felling license.

Options
  • 21-04-2021 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi All, I have 30 acres in Clare that was planted in 1992. Got one of the forestry companies out in 2019 and they applied for felling license in April 2019. I've read through a lot of the posts here and I seem to be exceptional at 2 years and no license. Anyone know where I could get more information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibaba

Hi All, I have 30 acres in Clare that was planted in 1992. Got one of the forestry companies out in 2019 and they applied for felling license in April 2019. I've read through a lot of the posts here and I seem to be exceptional at 2 years and no license. Anyone know where I could get more information.

Call the Forest Service , Johnstown Castle , Co Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Redjacketboy

That's way too long. They are taking longer in last year or so but 2019 should only have been a few weeks really. Planted 1992, presume you're clearfelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

some felling licences have been in the system for 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paddyte20

My brother does the felling licences in Johnston castle.

felling.forestservice@agriculture.gov.ie

+3530539163400 phone number wexford

They have alot of extra staff trying to clear them now.

You do realize that under the new AA bull**** that a massive surrounding area has to be screened?https://www.farmersjournal.ie/average-planting-sites-of-7ha-need-niss-covering-70-000ha-614557

• Advertisement

It is nonsense, the Inspectorate at Agriculture House knows it, and refuses to change it. It is like the co-pilot informing the captain of the aircraft that the AGL inputs in the flight-plan are too low and that you will bang straight into a mountain unless the course is corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mollydog123

That's way too long. They are taking longer in last year or so but 2019 should only have been a few weeks really. Planted 1992, presume you're clearfelling?

No a second thinning. Forester said should be clear-felled 7 years after that. That was 2 years ago. He contacted me 2 weeks ago to say that the Dept told him they were concentrating on felling license's now as another poster has mentioned.

You do realize that under the new AA bull**** that a massive surrounding area has to be screened?https://www.farmersjournal.ie/average-planting-sites-of-7ha-need-niss-covering-70-000ha-614557

That seems crazy

That seems crazy

It is insane, and it is reckoned to be part of an attempt to stop conifer afforestation in its tracks and to get people to plant native broadleaves only. It does not matter that there will most likely be no timber except firewood produced from such plantations, the object is native trees.

This lunatic policy is being enforced by Dublin born and bred foresters.

How DAFM expects to supply timber to the mills, and people to make a living is anyone's guess.

Protest the madness to pippa.hackett@oireachtas.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

It is insane, and it is reckoned to be part of an attempt to stop conifer afforestation in its tracks and to get people to plant native broadleaves only. It does not matter that there will most likely be no timber except firewood produced from such plantations, the object is native trees.

This lunatic policy is being enforced by Dublin born and bred foresters.

How DAFM expects to supply timber to the mills, and people to make a living is anyone's guess.

Protest the madness to pippa.hackett@oireachtas.ie

Do you or anyone have a complaint template by any chance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Who is the relevant minister for forestry these days? Is it part of the ag portfolio or is it lumped in with something else these days? There's no point in spamming up Pippa Hackett's inbox if we should be lobbying someone else.

If this keeps up there will be illegal logging going on, I mean one Sitka board at a sawmill looks very like another one at a sawmill. This fiasco has been going on far too long.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Do you or anyone have a complaint template by any chance
    Thanks for the inquiry but no.
    Everyone and the dog in Leinster House knows what and who the problems are but as they say "ever hear of a public servant being fired". Minister Hackett is a weak minister who has been fully informed repeatedly whao and what the problems are in the Forest Service but like a rabbet in the headlights she's terrified to make a hard decision.
    Current policy, unstated of course, is to plant Native Woodland everywhere and anywhere before any conifer. One stipulation is that NWS projects should be able to produce commercial sawlog and that is one of the biggest scams these people are perpetrating. Call NWS what it is which is necessary forest creation for the birds, which is fine, but pay people for 30years instead of 15, and stop bull****ting them that they will get commercial sawlog some day.

DAFM is also prioritizing Coillte felling licenses ahead of private licenses.

The DAFM staff who are responsible for the industry collapse cannot be fired, held accountable or disciplined and they will get paid and pensioned no matter what happens.

Call/email/write your elected reps. I'm amazed that the industry is sitting back and not organizing a mass strike or refusing DAFM personnel onto their property.

Write to the newspapers and call them to account. The current inspectorate is hellbent on destroying conifer afforestation in this country. Nurseries have had to destroy trees because demand in Ireland has collapsed, but they have been saved by exporting 80% of their trees to the UK.

leo.varadkar@oireachtas.ie
    micheal.martin@oireachtas.ie
    pippa.hackett@oirecahtas.ie
    Colm.Hayes@agriculture.gov.ie civil servant in charge of forestry
    brendan.gleeson@agriculture.gov.ie Sec General of DAFM
    seamus.dunne@agriculture.gov.ie Chief Inspector

kevin.collins@agriculture.gov.ie Driver of NWS afforestation

Find your public representative here

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/members/tds/

With email your complaint is now valid and you will get an acknowledgement, but get friends and family to email and make your voices heard.

Started the ball rolling on a felling licence this week. will keep you updated until we get the permission. Hopefully timber prices will hold up until 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

No, I think in theory it is possible. But in practice it's impossible, according to the forester it was possible up until about 2018 for a farmer to diy. Going for a 10 yr one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

I am getting a forester myself. Think it’s only 300 or so. Too much risk of making a DIY application in messing it up and ending at the back of a long que again.

Going for the clearfell 10 yr one also in the assumption that it will take 4 years to get it……so that’s 14 years in theory…

Finally got approval for my felling license in August after 2.5 years. Only problem is that its too wet to go onto the land now. The forester has said that with the delay, my forestry has gone past second thinning stage and more advanced than he would like. Will have a look at it again in spring next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

https://forestry-maps.apps.rhos.agriculture.gov.ie

If you want to know the history of your application and every application its here... just pull up the relevant map...

I think best do application in own name as the dept will only answer questions from the applicant... it only costs about €300... also better use individual forester as not tied in with any company when we decide to proceed with planting/felling...

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭leinster93

Anyone got an update on the link https://forestry-maps.apps./

The one there isn't working any more...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭leinster93

The link says site can't be reached🙁

its your server.... i think chrome best...

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭mullinr2

My parents applied for their ten year licence nearly three years ago and are still waiting. They have down everything possible like got an environmental report to speed things up. It is a large private forest of 150 acres and this is what seems to be holding things up. I can see the licences being granted to smaller forest acreage. It's causing them a lot of stress and anxiety. Totally unfair that they can't harvest their tress. A tillage, diary or beef farmer is not prevented in making money from their line of farming but a forest farmer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

That is indeed a disgrace. Are you talking about a licence to clearfell which will last for ten years? If it was a private company it could be sued. Or an injunction sought to compel them to issue a licence. Going public might be the best way to force their hands.

Bureaucrats out of control!

Why don't you phone them and ask... i just got planting license for a small planting area in 6 months and i ring fort close + a few objections. I found them helpful for any query i had... it may be that if a company applied you cannot ask.. have you looked at the application online...

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Good news on my parents application. I emailed the forestry licence section last week highlighting how long it's taking and how much stress they are under waiting for it. They have just been granted their licence this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Bit of smoke and mirrors going on there. The link doesn't link to where it says it is linking to instead it links to forestry-maps.apps.

here is the correct link

Forestry Licence Viewer (agriculture.gov.ie)

It always works for me... thats all i know... yours does too thanks as i save in case...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

this map shows new applications for licences, is there a similar map that allows viewing of issued felling licences etc?

tim

Advertisement