Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Quite a surprising running order.

SF1;

I'd echo previous comment about Norway's place in the 2nd half. I was sure he'd be used to break up the run of females.

Lithuania opening makes sense but could dampen their televote and prevent them from finishing high in the semi which could have implications for what slot they get in the final.

Sweden will likely qualify thanks to the juries but coming between Russia and Australia might further weaken their televote score as it might be more forgettable compared to what comes before and after it.

Best slot Ireland could have hoped for and coming after North Macedonia, which imo is the worst song in SF1, can only be a good thing. There might an ad break between Ireland and Cyprus. I watched an interview with Irish HOD Michael Kealy and he said they have something special planned for Lesley's staging that has never been done at Eurovision before. Can't wait to see what they have in store....

Malta closing is no great surprise. Destiny might win the semi.

SF2;

Shocked San Marino is the opener especially if Flo Rida turns up.

Don't like that 2nd half sequence of Georgia - Albania- Portugal - Bulgaria, going to be a bit of a slog to get through.

Bulgaria have been done dirty by being followed by Finland.

Denmark closing makes sense as Finland is too heavy going and Latvia too chaotic.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Draw takeaways:

- 7th is about as good as Ireland could have hoped for, the only concern is Cyprus might blow us away with an incredible stage show, but I'm happy overall
    - Lithuania opening and Malta closing SF1, interesting to see the potential winner and runner-up in these spots
    - Poor Slovenia following Lithuania in second place, and preceding Russia too :o
    - The Israel through to Malta section will be quite a busy end to SF1

- Iceland smack bang in the middle of two extremely frenetic songs, not sure whether that's good or bad for them. Either way they'll surely qualify
    - The Georgia/Albania/Portugal section will be the toilet break/tea making section
    - Really not sure what's the motivation behind Denmark closing the second semi. I guess it's light hearted and everything, but surely they'd want to close with a strong song.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The Australian delegation won't be travelling to Rotterdam this year, will be participating remotely instead. Makes sense I guess when it's only the semi's they'll be partaking in ;)

You have to feel bad for Montaigne not being able to travel but she's one contestant who the "live on tape" approach might actually suit. "Technicolour" is probably one of the most vocally challenging songs in the competition, not only due to the range needed but also the tempo shifts. Her performance was one of those most at risk of being a disaster on the night, at least with the live on tape she gets a bit more control and three takes to get it right.

Being the only act going live on tape might also work in her favour as it adds a novelty factor. If anybody else ends up having to do it then that novelty is erased.

So it's a shame she couldn't travel but I wouldn't rule out her chances of qualifying just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,063 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You have to feel bad for Montaigne not being able to travel but she's one contestant who the "live on tape" approach might actually suit. "Technicolour" is probably one of the most vocally challenging songs in the competition, not only due to the range needed but also the tempo shifts. Her performance was one of those most at risk of being a disaster on the night, at least with the live on tape she gets a bit more control and three takes to get it right.

Being the only act going live on tape might also work in her favour as it adds a novelty factor. If anybody else ends up having to do it then that novelty is erased.

So it's a shame she couldn't travel but I wouldn't rule out her chances of qualifying just yet.

Indeed and there might even be something of a sympathy vote factor for her, especially from the juries.

• Advertisement

Announced that 3,500 fans will be allowed to attend the three live events. Will be great to have a bit of atmosphere!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its a few weeks later than usual this year I think, thought it used to be always on in early May.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Its a few weeks later than usual this year I think, thought it used to be always on in early May.

It seems to vary, it has slipped deeper into May over the last couple of years...to think ABBA won on April 6th!!

It varies every year, tens to slip back and forth between early, mid and late May. This is the latest final since 2015 which was held on May 23rd. The 2010 final was as late as May 29th! Personally I prefer a late May final, means we get a longer Eurovision season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Hey folks! We're holding a Boards Eurovision Contest over in Forum Games. If you want to have a vote in the contest pop over and have a look.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058183242

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Will the 3500 spectators be from Netherlands only or will it be a mix of guests from different countries etc?

Will the 3500 spectators be from Netherlands only or will it be a mix of guests from different countries etc?

Open to correction here but as far as I'm aware, ticket sales are open to all countries but if you're coming from abroad you'd have to abide by your own country's (and the Dutch) travel restrictions - don't know how many fans from outside of the Netherlands would feasibly be able to travel.

Can't believe rehearsals start on Saturday. Its been a long time coming.

We will finally see what Lesley's staging is going to be like as she has her first rehearsal on Saturday afternoon. Can't wait!!

Along with Ireland, the ones I'm most intrigued to see over the next week are Cyprus, Romania, Azerbaijan, Malta, San Marino, Greece, Moldova, Iceland, Bulgaria, Switzerland and the UK.

Bring on ESC 2021!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Very curious what Australia will be like as the outlier. Would they be given similar limitations (ie staging size and facilities), and will theirs be broadcast live?

Very curious what Australia will be like as the outlier. Would they be given similar limitations (ie staging size and facilities), and will theirs be broadcast live?

No, they have had to record it in a smaller studio in Australia and it's definitely not live.

Seeing as this is a Eurovision first, it's anyone's guess how the voters will respond to it.

Very mixed bag from Ireland's first rehearsal. It's really only the second rehearsals that things start to take shape and we can make our minds up a bit more, but not a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,874 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very mixed bag from Ireland's first rehearsal. It's really only the second rehearsals that things start to take shape and we can make our minds up a bit more, but not a great start.
    Don't like the sound of that....
    I was always worried she might not have the best live vocals.
    Reaction on wiwibloggs was broadly positive
    https://wiwibloggs.com/2021/05/08/ireland-lesley-roy-eurovision-first-rehearsal/264814/

Lesley's performance is quite technically intricate, so I imagine that there were bound to be teething issues moving from practice to the Eurovision stage.

Hopefully the second rehearsal will give a clearer idea of the camera effects that will actually be on the performance - it uses Augmented Reality and perspective to create something interesting, like a virtual storybook.

Whatever happens, I commend Lesley and her team for trying something different and putting huge effort into the whole package.

I thought Lesley's vocals were ok considering she had to focus on finding her marks, camera shots and everything else going on. The staging concept is ambitious, unique, memorable but technically very challenging. They will work on fine tuning everything before Ireland's next rehearsal on Wednesday and hopefully Lesley is more stronger vocally.

I also applaud Ireland for taking a risk, hopefully it pays off.

I hold off on watching actual clips of the rehearsal's, just read the commentary and look at pictures, but at least it sounds like we're taking a risk which is great. We've had more than enough years of sending safe and solid shíte. We'll need to wait for the second rehearsal's to see how thing's are really taking shape. I just hope there's plenty of vocal backup because I really don't expect a lot from Lesley unfortunately.

Also, great to see Dotter finally got her shot at Eurovision!

North-Macedonia-Vasil-First-Rehearsal-Eurovision-2021.jpg

Oh wait no sorry, it's Macedonia's Vasil who's ripped off her staging :pac:

• Advertisement

I hold off on watching actual clips of the rehearsal's, just read the commentary and look at pictures, but at least it sounds like we're taking a risk which is great. We've had more than enough years of sending safe and solid shíte. We'll need to wait for the second rehearsal's to see how thing's are really taking shape. I just hope there's plenty of vocal backup because I really don't expect a lot from Lesley unfortunately.

Also, great to see Dotter finally got her shot at Eurovision!

North-Macedonia-Vasil-First-Rehearsal-Eurovision-2021.jpg

Oh wait no sorry, it's Macedonia's Vasil who's ripped off her staging :pac:

As far as I know, Lesley just has two backing vocalists - Philip Strand and Emelie Eriksson, two of the co-writers of Maps.

Interesting that they went for live backing vocals when the option of pre-recorded was there this year.

LordBasil wrote: »
    I thought Lesley's vocals were ok considering she had to focus on finding her marks, camera shots and everything else going on. The staging concept is ambitious, unique, memorable but technically very challenging. They will work on fine tuning everything before Ireland's next rehearsal on Wednesday and hopefully Lesley is more stronger vocally.

I also applaud Ireland for taking a risk, hopefully it pays off.

It's definitely very different to every other female uptempo in the semi. All the others have gone for dancers and straightforward choreography - Lesley is the only one with an arty 'picture book' presentation that tells a story and with no dancers at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

It's great to finally see the Eurovision rehearsal's kicking off. I've been keeping an eye on the Wiwiblogs live feed, they sure have a lot of airtime to fill. From the small snippets I seen I was really impressed with Russia and it got a very good reaction in the press room. They seemed a bit disappointed with Ireland but it seemed very much like they were just finding their feet.

I'm surprised that the WiwiJury has scored the Irish song so high. They have it as a certain finalist being honest I don't see it making it out of the semi final but I'd gladly be wrong. SF1 is very strong whereas for SF2, I'd struggle to pick 10 songs I'd want to get through.

My favourites so far are Croatia, Belgium, Switzerland, France, Malta, Lithuania & Russia. I'd be happier to see a first time winner.

Caprica wrote: »
    It's great to finally see the Eurovision rehearsal's kicking off. I've been keeping an eye on the Wiwiblogs live feed, they sure have a lot of airtime to fill. From the small snippets I seen I was really impressed with Russia and it got a very good reaction in the press room. They seemed a bit disappointed with Ireland but it seemed very much like they were just finding their feet.

I'm surprised that the WiwiJury has scored the Irish song so high. They have it as a certain finalist being honest I don't see it making it out of the semi final but I'd gladly be wrong. SF1 is very strong whereas for SF2, I'd struggle to pick 10 songs I'd want to get through.

My favourites so far are Croatia, Belgium, Switzerland, France, Malta, Lithuania & Russia. I'd be happier to see a first time winner.

It's great to see the folks at Wiwi rating Lesley so high, but they had Kasey as their #3 back in 2014... so I wouldn't take too much from it :o

France now bookies favourites after Malta's first rehearsal didn't go down too well. I much prefer the French song and wouldn't mind it winning, but they've been "overrated" by bookies before and still have their first run through to go, so that could all change again.

Ukraine seemingly the big winners from the first semi rehearsals, their odds are shortening. Which I'm happy with as its one of my favourites. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 msmandy

Yes very intricate song but a very poor vocal technique and autotune apparent. Lets hope for a respectable placing and entrance to final.

France now bookies favourites after Malta's first rehearsal didn't go down too well. I much prefer the French song and wouldn't mind it winning, but they've been "overrated" by bookies before and still have their first run through to go, so that could all change again.

Ukraine seemingly the big winners from the first semi rehearsals, their odds are shortening. Which I'm happy with as its one of my favourites. :)

Yeah, France were the favourites to win back in 2011 and we all saw what happened there. They were also the favourites at some stages in both 2016 and 2017 and only once did they reach the top ten. At best I can see a Patricia Kaas type of result for France, not a hope is this winning.

Nothing too surprising from today's rehearsals, it seems. Iceland are seemingly the big winners, they've gone down to single digit odds with some bookmakers. Might do reasonably well with perhaps a bit of sympathy after last year, but honestly I can only see this being as high as around 7th, maybe top 5 at a push.

Austria seemingly went down better than expected today, but qualification will still be difficult I reckon. Many were surprised with Moldova's rehearsal because it was all pretty tame. No dancing ice-cream cones!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,760 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Lots of decent Eurovision programmes and documentaries have been put on BBC Radio 2’s website and on the sound app this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000vx05/episodes/player

Including ‘Luck Of The Irish’ with Sir Terry Of Wogan. :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000vyxh

One of my big takeaways from the first rehearsals was how poor Lesley sounded. Hopefully she'll either improve or they'll adjust the sound mix a bit. I thought Romania's staging was good but there's far too much for Roxen to do, hopefully they can fix that for tomorrow. I thought Ukraine looked great, has potential to be a real surprise package I reckon. I was left somewhat disappointed by the little we saw of Malta. It looked very much like a few girls on a night out having a singalong, the garish pink isn't really what I was expecting from them.

As for semi final two, I think San Marino looks great. Who'd have expected this from them! What an upgrade on what was supposed to represent them last year. I've never really gotten the hate for Poland, I quite like the song, but watching the rehearsal back I just wish they'd gotten someone about twelve years younger to represent them. Iceland looks good, but I think this would be a very weak winner. Bulgaria looks good too but I think the jury's still out as to whether this can challenge for the win. I don't think Switzerland is a winner either, but who really knows at this stage. Also I saw Wiwibloggs trying to make a case for Denmark making it through to the final. That is... not going to happen.

• Advertisement

Mixed reactions to Lesley's second round of rehearsals today. It's hard to know what to believe. Some bloggers/journalists are saying concept is too messy, Lesley looks stressed and the vocals aren't great. Others say staging is impressive, Lesley looks to be enjoying herself and she was much stronger vocally in the 2nd & 3rd run throughs. It is hard to know what to believe. I think it is the kind of performance/staging concept you are either going to love or hate.

I still commend the delegation for being so ambitious but I fear that maybe they've given themselves a bit too much to do.

Hopefully they iron out any remaining kinks by next Monday's Jury Performance.

Advertisement