Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Eurovision SURLAW [Reveal: 21st May, 8pm]

• 04-05-2021 9:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Hello and welcome to the Boards Eurovision Song Contest 2021!
    esc-rotterdam-678x381.jpg

Thirty-nine countries compete to win your favour. Who will be crowned Boards Eurovision Champion for 2021? Germany? Russia? Australia?
    Or are you gonna play the political game and award your deux points to Ireland?

How to play?
    Have a listen to the Spotify playlist (linked below) and rank your favourite songs.
    Award them points from 1 to 12 and PM me your top 10 songs in a numbered list (Standard Eurovision scoring system applies; 12 points to your favourite song, 10 points to your second favourite and all the way down to 1).
    For clarity scoring is as follows: 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 with 12 points to your most favourite and 1 to your least favourite.

I’ll compile the choices and do a grand reveal of who the winner is before the real contest gets underway.

PM’s to be with me before 20:00 on 20th May.
    The reveal will start at 20:00 on Friday 21st May.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWVCKO3xAlT1Q?si=4f72c05fecfb454d&nd=1

Every vote is important! Get voting for your favourite song now!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

List of participating countries:
    Country |Artist |Song
    Albania |Anxhela Peristeri| Karma
    Australia |Montaigne |Technicolour
    Austria |Vincent Bueno |Amen
    Azerbaijan |Efendi |Mata Hari
    Belgium |Hooverphonic |The Wrong Place
    Bulgaria| VICTORIA |Growing Up Is Getting Old
    Croatia |Albina |Tick-Tock
    Cyprus| Elena Tsagrinou |El Diablo
    Czech Republic| Benny Cristo| omaga
    Denmark| Fyr Og Flamme| Øve Os På Hinanden
    Estonia| Uku Suviste |The Lucky One
    Finland| Blind Channel| Dark Side
    France| Barbara Pravi| Voilà
    Georgia |Tornike Kipiani |You
    Germany| Jendrik |I Don't Feel Hate
    Greece |Stefania| Last Dance
    Iceland| Daði og Gagnamagnið |10 Years
    Ireland |Lesley Roy |MAPS
    Israel| Eden Alene |Set Me Free
    Italy |Måneskin |Zitti E Buoni
    Latvia| Samanta Tīna |The Moon Is Rising
    Lithuania| The Roop |Discoteque
    Malta |Destiny |Je Me Casse
    Moldova| Natalia Gordienko |SUGAR
    North Macedonia| Vasil |Here I Stand
    Norway| TIX| Fallen Angel
    Poland| RAFAŁ |The Ride
    Portugal |The Black Mamba| Love Is On My Side
    Romania| ROXEN |Amnesia
    Russia| Manizha |Russian Woman
    San Marino| Senhit |Adrenalina
    Serbia| Hurricane |Loco Loco
    Slovenia| Ana Soklič|Amen
    Spain| Blas Cantó| Voy A Quedarme
    Sweden| Tusse |Voices
    Switzerland| Gjon's Tears| Tout l'Univers
    The Netherlands |Jeangu Macrooy| Birth Of A New Age
    Ukraine |Go_A |Shum
    United Kingdom |James Newman| Embers

Done. :) Love Eurovision so been tracking these for months and chopping and changing my top ten for a while now.

Might be worth plugging this in the Eurovision thread on the TV forum? Might even get a few new regulars who find they can't leave this place once they've found it! :p

I was thinking that but wasn't sure if that was allowed. I'll give it a plug sure and the mods can shout at me later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Awww, I thought this was going to be a "historical", best ever type of contest :(

There's been a few absolute crackers over the decades!

That might be a very big beast to tame though....

Not sure I can get as excited about getting familiar with a whole clatter of new songs.

Are these the "would have been" entries for this or last year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Molly the spotify playlist seems to have some previous year entries included there.

I've found one with just this years ones if you want to update the OP

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWVCKO3xAlT1Q?si=56415ac9f6674599

Maybe it's my Spotify being funky?

• Advertisement

Thank you muchly Necro. I thought it was the same one I'm listening to on my phone but obviously not. OP updated.

We could totally do a best of the Eurovision Surlaw but I think we'd have to narrow it down somehow. Maybe best of the best? But that's still like sixty something songs to listen to. That'd be worse than a single contest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Excellent idea. I love the Eurovision so much! A best of would end up with a predictable winner of Jonny Logan or Rock and Roll Kids or similar unless they were specifically excluded. We all know that the best historical Eurovision song is Sebastien Tellier’s Divine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Are these the "would have been" entries for this or last year?

Just opened the list - they are different entries than last year as the Dadi Freyr (Iceland) song is different. It has a similar feel to last year's entry though - I have tickets to see them in the Olympia at some stage (it was postponed from Easter).

Oh yeah sorry I meant to address that. It's a rule with the Eurovision that you can't submit the same songs in subsequent years so even though the contest didn't go ahead last year the songs had to be new ones. So these are all brand new submissions for the 2021 contest. Most of the artists are the same ones that would've represented their countries last year but they all have new songs.

Excellent idea. I love the Eurovision so much! A best of would end up with a predictable winner of Jonny Logan or Rock and Roll Kids or similar unless they were specifically excluded. We all know that the best historical Eurovision song is Sebastien Tellier’s Divine.

My Irish Eurovision hot take: Rock and Roll Kids is the weakest of the seven Irish winners.

/runs

• Advertisement

My Irish Eurovision hot take: Rock and Roll Kids is the weakest of the seven Irish winners.

/runs

:eek::eek::eek:
    It is the BEST of them!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

/runs

I'm with you Homer, it's total scutter and I just can't understand the love for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

There's a YouTube playlist for all of them here too if there are any non-spotify heads knocking about (or people like me, who can be a bit precious about disrupting the Spotify algorithm for weekly recommendations etc.)...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmWYEDTNOGUIFKZpE5Z2uOA5i48KVfqju

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Does the spotify link work in the first post? Is it only me having a problem?

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Does the spotify link work in the first post? Is it only me having a problem?

Just tried it there and seems to take you to just the web player (desktop)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWVCKO3xAlT1Q?si=4f72c05fecfb454d

That one seems to work

I've updated the link again. Thanks folks. I also noticed today whilst listening to the playlist that the Serbian song, Loco Loco, doesn't seem to work on it. So here's the youtube video for it for completeness sake:

Working now perfectly Molly :D

I've narrowed it down to my top 16 and I've also identified a couple of toilet break songs for the big night.

I've had a brief listen and have 3 or 4 standouts and the rest are sort of all a big blur. Hoping to get it narrowed down soon though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Croatia have cuddly teddybears... being swayed by wrong reasons - must not vote for hideous song ;)

• Advertisement

I've been listening most of the day and the music is better than I expected. I've narrowed it down. Sadly a nation close to my heart have not made the final 12. I'll wing a pm your way tomorrow.

Ok I was originally concerned that some players who weren't familiar with the Eurovision style of scoring would get confused.

I'm happy to open it up to the board though. Which scoring would you prefer?
    Eurovision style - 12,10,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 - top 10 songs are scored.
    Maths style - 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 - top 12 songs are scored.

Eurovision style to replicate it closely.

Done, Pm is sent.

It seems bookies favorite is France with Switzerland and Italy up there as well. It should be fun.

I've belatedly realised how rude my post was early on in this :o

Coming on saying "oh no, X - why don't you do Y?" was waaaaaay out of order!

So, sorry for that!

May have to devote an evening to listening/watching these ones, and try to drag myself up to date a bit!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Ok I was originally concerned that some players who weren't familiar with the Eurovision style of scoring would get confused.

I'm happy to open it up to the board though. Which scoring would you prefer?
    Eurovision style - 12,10,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 - top 10 songs are scored.
    Maths style - 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 - top 12 songs are scored.

I would prefer top 10, Eurovision style. I ran a recent Surlaw that way and there was no confusion thankfully from anyone.

Brilliant thanks for the input guys. We'll go with the standard Eurovision style voting then. I'll update the OP accordingly. And I've both versions from Homer and Sheridan so no need to resend your PM's guys.

Half way through my first listen and finally found a contender for douze points :D Only 19 more to go... and then again to give them a fair chance ;)

I'm gonna include my own top 10 songs and there are 2 really unexpected contenders for top marks. Can't pick between the 2 at the moment. There's a lot of really really bad songs though.

• Advertisement

First quick listen through and I've whittled it down to 16 which is not bad. One stand out song so far and the rest are just okay. Overall quality is pretty bad I must say.

I do think it's a very poor year. The songs last year were of much higher quality.

It's been a few years since it made an impact, I still remember a number of the 2017 tunes (Ocidentali's Karma was my favourite) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

ari101 wrote: »
    Ocidentali's Karma was my favourite

giphy.gif

I do think it's a very poor year. The songs last year were of much higher quality.

With a lot of them getting a second chance but having to write new songs I suppose that makes sense...?
    Last years chosen entries had to win local selection, so are the best of a given bunch, but this years efforts are just whatever new ditty the same person could magic up, no guarantee it would have been of the same quality to win local selection?

It's a grim state of affairs when I'm gonna be forced to award the UK something.

• Advertisement

It's a grim state of affairs when I'm gonna be forced to award the UK something.

Uk are one of my top 2, I can't believe it but I love yer man's voice. His song last year was one of my favourites too.

Haha, I haven't yet ruled it out ;)

Jeysus my picks are going to be awks...thought the UK entry was terrible.

Kolido wrote: »
    Jeysus my picks are going to be awks...thought the UK entry was terrible.

I initially though nope, but then I realised there was a lot of 'nope' and I may have to pick from the 'nope' pile to reach 10 songs :pac:

Well now folks, we have 5 entries submitted and 10 countries still to score a single point! A clear winner at the moment. But we'll see how it goes!

• Advertisement

Have whittled it down to 10 songs, just need to sort them into an order I'm happy with... which might take quite a few more listens...

Well now folks, we have 5 entries submitted and 10 countries still to score a single point! A clear winner at the moment. But we'll see how it goes!

I'm surprised it's only 10. There are some terrible songs this year.

I'm sure some people will think some of my choices are terrible though! I love a cheesy Eurovision song.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

If anyone wanted to do the best Eurovision song ever, then an Ultimate Tournament might be better than a SURLAW? After this year there will be 65 years of songs to choose from, so maybe all 68 winning songs + 60 songs that players nominate to create a decent knockout tournament.

quickbeam wrote: »
    If anyone wanted to do the best Eurovision song ever, then an Ultimate Tournament might be better than a SURLAW? After this year there will be 65 years of songs to choose from, so maybe all 68 winning songs + 60 songs that players nominate to create a decent knockout tournament.

I was thinking of that myself actually...

65 years :eek:

If somebody does run it, maybe the Irish songs should be omitted because everybody will be SOOOOOO biased.:D

Rankings Submitted

giphy.gif

I have submitted my entry!

giphy.gif

Gonna get some shape on this today, I've put it off long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I want to enter too. Been listening to lots of songs but not all. Will have to make myself listen to countries I generally don't like (I'm looking at you Albania)

• Advertisement
Advertisement