Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Nutkins wrote: »
    As has been pointed out on here Brexit only happened four months ago and that after nearly a year of a global pandemic and much of Europe in total lockdown.
    There'll be teething troubles and some loss of business but over time this will be made up elsewhere in the economy.
    I just don't share your gloomy vision for the UK's economic future and so far, it seems, the majority of its citizens are like-minded.
    I hope it's a success because a thriving UK is important for Ireland's economy too.

So in other words, you have no basis expect hope. It is only 4 months, and everything so far has been negative. THere is nothing to suggest that these negatives are only temporary and will turn into positives over time.

And no-one has been able to point to new areas where positives will come from. The best that can be said is that Brexit hasn't,as yet, ended up as Project Fear claimed.

Imagine going to the country with that manifesto. We could simply let everything burn, but instead we will simply burn all the furniture, the house itself will be relatively unharmed? It would never work.

Which is why Johnson ran on getting Brexit done, something that apparently he is to be given credit for. This BRexit is done. This is it. It won't get massively different. A few tweaks here and there, but overall this is what Brexit means.

And it terrible by any measure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: A user has been temporarily banned pending confirmation that they're not a rereg. Please do not respond to Nutkins' posts in the interim.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Thanks appreciated, if you read UK media you would think this is Falklands again, my first reaction was “what is Boris trying to hide now with this distraction”

A distraction or the fact that there is an election today?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

the Minister re-stated her/France's position that the TCA - now ratified - allows for the application of punitive measures, including provisions regarding the supply of energy, against the UK if the UK does not respect the terms and conditions of the TCA.
    This was one of the main arguments for voting through the deal; it allows better ways to deal with UK if they break the deal. And I'm sure this will be one of many coming UK's way this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Roanmore wrote: »
    A distraction or the fact that there is an election today?

You would think having military skirmishes with a next door neighbour might actually lessen support for a sitting government, but it seems nationalism and 'squaring up' is all the rage in England these days (among Tory voters anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Strazdas wrote: »
    You would think having military skirmishes with a next door neighbour might actually lessen support for a sitting government, but it seems nationalism and 'squaring up' is all the rage in England these days (among Tory voters anyway).
    It's usually popular in the beginning and people surge to back the leader when it starts; it's as it goes on the popularity tend to drop off. That's why people were concerned that Trump would start something to get a surge before the November election.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Strazdas wrote: »

I'm not seeing it. The UK is one of the most centralised countries in the world. A single seat in the Commons, some local councils and a few mayors are nothing compared to his eighty-seat majority.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm not seeing it. The UK is one of the most centralised countries in the world. A single seat in the Commons, some local councils and a few mayors are nothing compared to his eighty-seat majority.
    Their current working majority is 85. This takes into account the non-voting Speaker and their deputies, and non-sitting Sinn Féin MPs.

With DUP support it increases to over 100 and even the merest mention of a border poll would get their attention.

And purges around the last election will have consolidated the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Decisions, decisions ... The European Food Safety Authority has declared Titanium dioxide: E171 no longer considered safe when used as a food additive. Already banned in France (you know, exercising sovereignty while still a member of the EU) the EFSA's opinion will probably see it banned throughout the EU pretty soon. The FDA, on the other hand, say it's safe enough. So on which side of the fence will the UK choose to pitch its tent? And if it comes to it, will the DUP demand the right to import and eat unsafe British food?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Nutkins wrote: »
    Actually completely the opposite - I think Brexit will be a huge success in the long-term both financially and socially but that horse has now bolted so there's really no point in going over old ground.
    Then you *think* something that no competent economist from the last 100 years thinks or could believe. Can you explain why you are correct and they are wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I was watching Question Time last night and I have to say I think it (the country, the TV show) is getting worse. A woman on the show went on an unchallenged rant about the French "stamping their feet" and petulance being "part of their character". Another audience member stated the French boats should have been sank.

I lived in England and have many great friends from there. However, I think people are kidding themselves about English nationalism. They have a proud misunderstanding of their own history and current events. The comments from the Question Time audience members were more common than people thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I was watching Question Time last night and I have to say I think it (the country, the TV show) is getting worse. A woman on the show went on an unchallenged rant about the French "stamping their feet" and petulance being "part of their character". Another audience member stated the French boats should have been sank.

I lived in England and have many great friends from there. However, I think people are kidding themselves about English nationalism. They have a proud misunderstanding of their own history and current events. The comments from the Question Time audience members were more common than people thought.
    Not saying sentiments like these are not common, but Question time audience members are not randomly selected and are not supposed to be representative of the public at large. The producers like a range of strongly-voiced opinions, so they invite various political, lobby and pressure groups to send along a few representatives who will contribute to the, ahem, jollity of the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The Hartlepool by-election thrashing of Labour by the Tory candidate suggests that England is on a slippery nationalist slope. They are lapping up the vaccination campaign and the gunboats. The PM can seemingly do no wrong. When working class people can be persuaded to vote for £850 a roll Johnson then all hope is lost for a return to normality.

The same PM is responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands last year but people have airbrushed it from their collective memories already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

steddyeddy wrote: »

I'd also add there's a very irrational cultural hatred of the French in aspects of England. It gets rather tiresome when you immediately get references to Napoleon and wars from centuries ago, or some ridiculous stereotype thrown when anything comes up about anything to do with France.

It isn't normal. It's actually Francophobia or Gallophobia and it seems to come from centuries of a hostile relationship with France, but also probably having absorbed a lot of anti-republican messaging in the 1700s and outrage at the French revolution and French anti-Monarchism etc and before that an anti-Catholicism in England in the 1600s and so on. However, I have no idea what it has to do with 21st century Anglo-French relations.

They also imagine that French newspapers and commentators spend huge amounts of time producing similar stuff about the English, when in reality this level of hostility is not reciprocated and is often not even understood. There's a lot of head scratching about why there's so much nastiness directed across the channel and I think in general, looking at French media coverage of the Jersey issue yesterday, it was more of a boring story about angry fishermen and total befuddlement as to why people were making statements about 'wars' in British media.

Even look at British comedy, there are endless examples of anti-French sentiment that just comes out of nowhere in particular. I don't mean the likes of Allo Allo, which wasn't anti-French and actually developed quite complex and interesting characters, but sketches stand out all over the place, and you'll get smug comments from the likes of the Top Gear guy and so on and just endless stereotyping.

England can be fantastic and open minded, but there's a thread of xenophobia and quite literally Little Englandism that runs through politics. For decades it had been in the margins, even if perhaps not so much in the margins in certain tabloids, but it has been moved to front and centre by Brexit and it is utterly toxic.

That story of rallying against the French yesterday was a big morale boot for those who absorb that kind of messaging.

The Express was literally referring to the Gendarmerie Maritime (the French Coastguard) that had been sent in to monitor and police the protest and basically ensure safety, as "war ships" and used the term "war" so many times it was bizarre and you'd people online trying to claim that because the Gendarmerie Nationale is linked to the French defence forces that they were absolutely war ships.

The whole thing is just ... I don't even know what it is. Comical is one word for it, but I think we are long past comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Saw a video on you tube on Maximilian Robespierre channel of a guy in 18th century attire firing a musket at French fishermen in the Channel Islands.

20silkcut wrote: »
    Saw a video on you tube of a guy in 18th century attire firing a musket at French fishermen.

Yea, that really happened and wasn't just a sketch for the League of Gentlemen.

Some of the spectacles that were witnessed on the continent in the last few years have been beyond shocking. The Brexit Party's departing speeches, particularly that of Ann Widdecombe, and all of the rather unpleasant and jingoistic nonsense that was spewed by that party in Brussels set a tone that is very difficult to forget.

We also have a situation where the PM is quite literally one of those tabloid style of journalists who built an early career and profile spinning Euro myths from Brussels.

I honestly don't see UK-EU relations being remotely healthy or sane for probably another decade, as this politics is here to stay for some time. The Tories, much like the GOP in the US, have found a formula that can trigger the public and keep them in power and they will keep pushing those buttons.

You have to understand this situation in terms of populist nationalism. So, things like appealing to pragmatic arguments about economics and practicalities of European Union systems just does not have any purchase in that kind of political environment. It's like trying to argue similarly pragmatic points with the DUP. All they care about are issues like symbols, flags, sentiment, feelings and patriotism. Things like economics or common sense polities are secondary to that.

Labour, for whatever reason, is in an existential crisis and is just not likely to be able to overcome this. I also think Labour has a major problem in the sense that Brexit is heavily supported in the old working class heartlands of England, and much like Trump's populist right wing rhetoric went down in 'Blue Collar America', the Tories are appealing to similar 'blame someone else for all your economic problems' type approaches which has been hugely successful for them.

I don't think Labour will easily win back those voters, as even if the economic opportunities dwindle and their quality of life sinks, they will just continue to blame the EU or blame immigration or whatever the topic they're being directed towards is. Arguments for a fairer society don't click, even though they would obviously benefit enormously from it.

You've also got a vaccine bounce, which is being presented as a great win for having taken a hard and jingoistic line to put Britain ahead of an kind of internationalism and that, whether it's true or not, has been very heavily absorbed and will probably see Johnson through another general election, which takes us to a decade or more of this chaos.

It's also a de facto two-party system and operates within a first past the post system, which means that unless you get a very well assembled, single opposition party, you split the vote in constituencies and you end up with a Tory seat win on less than half the votes cast. It's something you'll see quite a lot in marginal constituencies where you'll have a Tory win on say 37%. The unfortunate reality is that if you have a situation where Labour and Lib Dems are going for the same votes, the Tories will always win. That's a huge flaw in the UK electoral system, but it suits the Tories to keep it in place.

I honestly think you're looking at a lost and quite toxic decade.

I don't really think all the appeals to rationality will amount to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭yagan

England can be fantastic and open minded, but there's a thread of xenophobia and quite literally Little Englandism that runs through politics. For decades it had been in the margins, even if perhaps not so much in the margins in certain tabloids, but it has been moved to front and centre by Brexit and it is utterly toxic.
    Many perceptions of England seemed based on successful experiences in diverse and multicultural London, but spend time in the former industrial heartlands and anyone can find a harder, colder, less forgiving and intolerant England.

Having lived in north England for a few years I do fear for minorities there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

I honestly think you're looking at a lost and quite toxic decade.
    Considering that it's been 5 years since the Brexit vote and things have only been getting worse, I think you are hopelessly optimistic regarding the timeframe

yagan wrote: »
    Many perceptions of England seemed based on successful experiences in diverse and multicultural London, but spend time in the former industrial heartlands and anyone can find a harder, colder, less forgiving and intolerant England.

Having lived in north England for a few years I do fear for minorities there.

I think that's also part of the problem with contemporary Irish perceptions of England. It's a bit distorted by the way we see it through the lens of London in particular, but also Manchester and historically cities like Liverpool and so on that are all a lot more open minded.

You'll have some older generation Irish people in some of those blue collar areas, but the contemporary Irish interaction with England is mostly with the progressive cities. You're not going to up stick and move for a few years to spend time in some small place or rural England unless you've a very specific reason to go there, but you might be attracted by the lifestyle and bright lights of a megapolis like London.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Insofar as I can speculate, it has often seemed like the antagonism towards the French and Germans was entirely one-way: I vaguely recall around the time of the 2006 World Cup and interviews with various international fans. The German ones were perplexed by the English constantly seeing them as their biggest rivals. To these interviewed German fans, they liked the English and didn't see England as their rival at all - that was The Netherlands in reality, with whom German football shares a genuinely robust rivalry. It's not hard to see why England remains obsessed with the two countries as their enemy; the French historical political rivals across the centuries, with the Germans kept at arms length by modern decades after "two world wars and one world cup" to quote the jingoists (and a healthy diet stoked by the Top Gears of this world)

(The 2006 World Cup was also instructive as, being in Germany, there was a huge uptick in nationalism. But a tempered, cautious nationalism after decades of ordinary Germans being taught to be distrustful of superficial expressions of nationalistic zeal. So the mood seemed to be that for the first time it was OK to wave a German flag without feeling mildly embarrassed about it; or that it was a slippery slope)

• Advertisement

I think you'll always get some banter between neighbouring nations in Europe that can be a little fun-poking, but it's like the difference between slagging your friend off in the pub in a jovial way and going on a massive rant about how much you hate them, everything about them, their ancestors and way of life and bring up every single issue that's happened between your families since the year 1200.

Unfortunately, the English tabloid commentary tends towards the hateful rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭yagan

I think that's also part of the problem with contemporary Irish perceptions of England. It's a bit distorted by the way we see it through the lens of London in particular, but also Manchester and historically cities like Liverpool and so on that are all a lot more open minded.

You'll have some older generation Irish people in some of those blue collar areas, but the contemporary Irish interaction with England is mostly with the progressive cities. You're not going to up stick and move for a few years to spend time in some small place or rural England unless you've a very specific reason to go there, but you might be attracted by the lifestyle and bright lights of a megapolis like London.
    All true. In the past when there was more emigration to England there was a better Irish understanding of England, but now so much of what we know is superficial, merely skimming the surface. Brexit was the mask dropping.

I used to visit the various Irish clubs around England during my time there and like the RCC in Ireland it's full of older people since permanent immigration from Ireland stopped in the 1990s. Those that did come after that found it much easier to retain their life in Ireland via budget airlines and the internet.

Even though London can still be a draw for young people I can see my nephews and nieces opting for placements in the EU. I guess moving to a society undergoing a huge domestic political upheaval can be off putting, despite the personal career opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭20silkcut

pixelburp wrote: »
    Insofar as I can speculate, it has often seemed like the antagonism towards the French and Germans was entirely one-way: I vaguely recall around the time of the 2006 World Cup and interviews with various international fans. The German ones were perplexed by the English constantly seeing them as their biggest rivals. To these interviewed German fans, they liked the English and didn't see England as their rival at all - that was The Netherlands in reality, with whom German football shares a genuinely robust rivalry. It's not hard to see why England remains obsessed with the two countries as their enemy; the French historical political rivals across the centuries, with the Germans kept at arms length by modern decades after "two world wars and one world cup" to quote the jingoists (and a healthy diet stoked by the Top Gears of this world)

(The 2006 World Cup was also instructive as, being in Germany, there was a huge uptick in nationalism. But a tempered, cautious nationalism after decades of ordinary Germans being taught to be distrustful of superficial expressions of nationalistic zeal. So the mood seemed to be that for the first time it was OK to wave a German flag without feeling mildly embarrassed about it)

There was a proposal for a British/French union with full freedom of movement etc as recently as 1940 just prior to the French collapse.
    A lot of bitterness can be traced back to that period.
    The French regarded the British evacuation of Dunkirk as selfish. The British bemoaned the French lack of fight and willingness to surrender. While being spared a full test of their own resolve.
    You still get a lot of niggling in online comments over those events.

There were a lot of proposals after WWII that didn't amount to much. The pre EU institutions emerged as the most sensible way forward on those proposals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

20silkcut wrote: »
    There was a proposal for a British/French union with full freedom of movement etc as recently as 1940 just prior to the French collapse.
    A lot of bitterness can be traced back to that period.
    The French regarded the British evacuation of Dunkirk as selfish. The British bemoaned the French lack of fight and willingness to surrender.
    You still get a lot of niggling in online comments over those events.

I do vaguely recall reading about a Anglo-French Union before, true; and without knowing more details I can't see how it was ever considered a serious suggestion within either government - being as they are/were two intensely proud (stubborn/zealous) nations.

To the rest, well. This is it. Without it turning into a rant or some suggesting "brit bashing", the obsessiveness the English zeitgeist continues to possess with WW2 is maddening. It's part of the common vernacular to invoke the war - be it through sleeve-rolling and "the blitz spirit" (truly one of the more pernicious myths of WW2 at home), or naked antagonism against their neighbours.

If I were truly reductionist: Brexit is the boiling over of a decades-long contrast of national/continental moods as they went in different directions. The rest of Europe, blasted into ruins, had to pick itself up and think hard about where and what it wanted to be after 1945. Cooperation became the guiding principle. England wallowed in "victory" and slowly mythologised its part in the war to the point where it became part of an identity (while being a reluctant partner who never properly joined in on the former's communal efforts). There's barely anyone alive who lived through the era, yet the ease with which the Mark Francois' of this world invoke that time is ... well, kinda sickening really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There were a lot of proposals after WWII that didn't amount to much. The pre EU institutions emerged as the most sensible way forward on those proposals.

It would horrify most of the Little Englanders to find out that the idea of the EU was supported by one Winston Churchill.

It would horrify most of the Little Englanders to find out that the idea of the EU was supported by one Winston Churchill.

Churchill supported a Federalised United States of Europe but not the UK being part of such an entity.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Churchill supported a Federalised United States of Europe but not the UK being part of such an entity.

Well, yes. But they did still have the Empire - with global reach - Africa, Far East, India - far more important than Europe.

I think Ireland's pre WWII history in some ways parallels a lot of Europe's post-WWII recovery, which is possibly why slotted into it a little more comfortably.

It's also not that unusual to have had bad relations with a larger neighbour. Many countries have enclaves and border disputes that were completely resolved to the point they didn't matter by the EU. If you take Belgium for example, there are some aspects of its border with NL that are so complicated you need labels on doors!

In our case it had increasingly solved so many of the problems with the Northern Ireland border, certainly since 1993 as it stopped mattering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You could actually tattoo little Englanders with facts about the EU and British history so that it would stare at in the mirror every morning and they would still stick to their narrative. Another of their heros is Thatcher, a woman who said this about breaking international agreements.
    "Britain does not break Treaties. It would be bad for Britain, bad for relations with the rest of the world, and bad for any future Treaty on trade"

Advertisement