Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Stephen Elliot done his bit in an Ireland jersey but he’s doesn’t give you much on the Saturday show. Bar stooler opinions.

Ger Gilroy has an interview with Paul Kimmage in the sIndo today or the other way around I suppose.

Wonder how it gets covered in the paper review. Kimmage opines in the interview that OTB isn’t as good as it used to be so could be awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They seemed comfortable talking about it. Turned it in to a segment and pushed it on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1388896061956186116

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ger Gilroy has an interview with Paul Kimmage in the sIndo today or the other way around I suppose.

Wonder how it gets covered in the paper review. Kimmage opines in the interview that OTB isn’t as good as it used to be so could be awkward.

personally I think it’s as good as ever since the second captains crew left

deisedude wrote: »
    I haven't made the move, I enjoyed the pod but I would be a very casual golf fan, I don't play the game and really only watch the majors so couldn't justify paying for it when I have other subscriptions too

I’m the same.

Half listen to it on a Sunday when it’s on but couldn’t justify paying a sub for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭siblers

monstermag wrote: »
    Yesterday evening Richie seemed pretty convinced the super league would go ahead, fast forward to this evening and it's like he's saying the exact opposite, as if he believed it was a dead duck from the beginning. Joe is the only one on the show who said the super league would never get off the ground. He's quite intuitive that way.

Richie is one of the main reasons why I stopped listening to OTB, he's more insufferable than Gilroy

They seemed comfortable talking about it. Turned it in to a segment and pushed it on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1388896061956186116

They dealt with it very well and Eoin Sheehan was the right man in the hot seat as he doesn't get too excited and has a good sense of humour.

Personally, I have noticed a big move away from the more serious journalism towards the fun and light stuff like Nathan and his kid's England jersey in the last year.

I don't have the time to listen live anymore and wouldn't bother with the light-hearted stuff on podcast or video afterwards and tend to go looking elsewhere for the more serious stuff but I doubt I am representative of the market they are after.

Fair play to them for dealing with it head on though.

Just with the talk of second captains etc

Wouldn’t be a second captains regular but just listened to their latest podcast in the car

Dunno, air of smugness from them at times. Ken in particular.

Yes he’s a clever guy and he knows a lot and I enjoy his articles in the times but I can’t really warm to that “hectoring/lecturing” style that Ken has

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Wouldn’t be a second captains regular but just listened to their latest podcast in the car

Yes he’s a clever guy and he knows a lot and I enjoy his articles in the times but I can’t really warm to that “hectoring/lecturing” style that Ken has

Ken is the main reason I listen to them, I'm not sure I would if he wasn't on it. Each to his own and and all that....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ahwell wrote: »
    Ken is the main reason I listen to the them, I'm not sure I would if he wasn't on it. Each to his own and and all that....

Being smug and funny beats just being smug all day every day.

• Advertisement

I’d keep that opinion off the second captains thread anyway. Some figures there are very sensitive to criticism of the show.

I’d keep that opinion off the second captains thread anyway. Some figures there are very sensitive to criticism of the show.

Or probably just disagree. Sorry if that’s less dramatic.

Or probably just disagree. Sorry if that’s less dramatic.

In there like swimwear. There’s certain posters there that are determined to absolutely shutdown criticism of the show.

You’re best off not putting up any criticism of second captains on its thread, it’s just better for an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

In there like swimwear. There’s certain posters there that are determined to absolutely shutdown criticism of the show.

You’re best off not putting up any criticism of second captains on its thread, it’s just better for an easy life.

A lot like this thread so.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭17togo

Pretty much like this thread then?!

redbuck wrote: »
    A lot like this thread so.

Not that I’ve noticed to be honest. This thread has a mood of lambasting certain people on the show...so very different vibe. My impression anyway.

Not that I’ve noticed to be honest. This thread has a mood of lambasting certain people on the show...so very different vibe. My impression anyway.

Yes, we've had that point; several times.
    Talk about the show if you want, not your impression of other users.

Yes, we've had that point; several times.
    Talk about the show if you want, not your impression of other users.

Sure, no problem from me. Two people said the vibe was the same on both threads. I just took a different view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I didn't get the Ritchie hate but lately he's really grinding. Even today Adrian is just throwing out a why won't a GAA Super League happen at some point comment, not even in our life times but sometime in the future that it could potentially happen. This came after a golf super league chat and all the recent soccer super league stuff. More light hearted chat than a serious chat. But Ritchie just kept saying no, in a low tone every couple of seconds while Adrian was talking.

You're on radio, shut up while others are making a point and then interject afterwards, not be a petulant child and interrupt continuously because someone is saying something you don't agree with.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Fromvert wrote: »
    I didn't get the Ritchie hate but lately he's really grinding. Even today Adrian is just throwing out a why won't a GAA Super League happen at some point comment, not even in our life times but sometime in the future that it could potentially happen. This came after a golf super league chat and all the recent soccer super league stuff. More light hearted chat than a serious chat. But Ritchie just kept saying no, in a low tone every couple of seconds while Adrian was talking.

You're on radio, shut up while others are making a point and then interject afterwards, not be a petulant child and interrupt continuously because someone is saying something you don't agree with.

In fairness Adrian was chatting absolute sh*te there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Faugheen wrote: »
    In fairness Adrian was chatting absolute sh*te there.

He was but it was light hearted chat in a light hearted segment where the chat usually meanders as the news stories are brought up. He seems to constantly get tilted when doing it if the chat isn't going the way he wants it to.

While your colleague is talking (nonsense or not) on a live show and you're saying no..pause..no..pause..no..pause..no very lowly but still very audibly is just rude and unprofessional and shows a lack of awareness of how you are coming across. I was waiting for Joe or Adrian to tell him to shut up, because I sure wanted to.

He talks about music and sport for a living, he could do with being able to lighten up on air. He has, for want of a better word no 'banter' about him.

Fromvert wrote: »
    He was but it was light hearted chat in a light hearted segment where the chat usually meanders as the news stories are brought up. He seems to constantly get tilted when doing it if the chat isn't going the way he wants it to.

While your colleague is talking (nonsense or not) on a live show and you're saying no..pause..no..pause..no..pause..no very lowly but still very audibly is just rude and unprofessional and shows a lack of awareness of how you are coming across. I was waiting for Joe or Adrian to tell him to shut up, because I sure wanted to.

He talks about music and sport for a living, he could do with being able to lighten up on air. He has, for want of a better word no 'banter' about him.

Not having any banter in him is probably a good thing! He just comes across as being so serious and sanctimonious about everything, and has that worst trait of so many people these days - he's so easily offended.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Micheal Martin interview from Tuesday evening?

A key part of the interview was the announcement that Irish primary school students spend the 4th fewest amount of hours in PE classes amongst countries in Europe.
    At first I thought Joe came across as naïve in pushing him so hard to commit to more PE activities in primary schools within 5 years but as it went on I figured it wasn't a bad approach to get the highest politician in the country to commit to something which on the face of it should be a no brainer. Micheal's hesitancy showed just how difficult it can be to implement something as he alluded to having to train people, get the curriculum set up for this and so on and so on. There's an awful lot that goes on between taking something being an idea and it actually happening with a lot of stakeholders along the way who can influence it. Martin obviously has been at this game too long to promise something he knows might not happen and didn't disclose just who or what exactly would be the stumbling block to this happening.

Quite a scoop for OTB to get the Taoiseach in for a 30 minute interview as it was and I thought he came across as being interested and aware of the significance of sport in todays society and explained the logic behind not having kids training while they still go to school even if many people wouldn't agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Anyone have any thoughts on the Micheal Martin interview from Tuesday evening?

A key part of the interview was the announcement that Irish primary school students spend the 4th fewest amount of hours in PE classes amongst countries in Europe.
    At first I thought Joe came across as naïve in pushing him so hard to commit to more PE activities in primary schools within 5 years but as it went on I figured it wasn't a bad approach to get the highest politician in the country to commit to something which on the face of it should be a no brainer. Micheal's hesitancy showed just how difficult it can be to implement something as he alluded to having to train people, get the curriculum set up for this and so on and so on. There's an awful lot that goes on between taking something being an idea and it actually happening with a lot of stakeholders along the way who can influence it. Martin obviously has been at this game too long to promise something he knows might not happen and didn't disclose just who or what exactly would be the stumbling block to this happening.

Quite a scoop for OTB to get the Taoiseach in for a 30 minute interview as it was and I thought he came across as being interested and aware of the significance of sport in todays society and explained the logic behind not having kids training while they still go to school even if many people wouldn't agree with it.

Didn’t hear it and won’t be looking for it, I’d imagine it was excruciating to listen to just like any other interview he gives.

Quite peculiar having the head of state on to a sports radio programme, no? Was the interview advertised to be a discussion on PE in schools? If not It’s good that he was challenged on something important and topical, I’d say beforehand Mícheál saw it as an opportunity to promote himself and the party in some way, some feel good puff piece shįte along the lines of the glory days of cork hurling and football.

Didn’t hear it and won’t be looking for it, I’d imagine it was excruciating to listen to just like any other interview he gives.

I didn't think so, thought he did give an honest answer on everything he was asked but maybe others would have issues. Would like your take on it if you did listen to it given you obviously aren't a fan.
    Quite peculiar having the head of state on to a sports radio programme, no? Was the interview advertised to be a discussion on PE in schools? If not It’s good that he was challenged on something important and topical, I’d say beforehand Mícheál saw it as an opportunity to promote himself and the party in some way, some feel good puff piece shįte along the lines of the glory days of cork hurling and football.

No was advertised as him coming in for a chat and people were encouraged to send in questions. Covered a range of topics, boxing (amateur and pro issue in Ireland), sports funding (LOI, male/female), Covid restrictions, Leinsters efforts to arrange a trial of testing with 2000 in attendance for a match.
    MM seemed to take it all in good faith and didn't have an issue with questions being asked even though he probably knows many would have an issue with his answers.

I'd advise you actually go and listen to it rather than telling us you're not interested and then asking people questions about it.

Was a very interesting piece and as pointed out, as honest and up front as I've ever seen MM.

I didn't think so, thought he did give an honest answer on everything he was asked but maybe others would have issues. Would like your take on it if you did listen to it given you obviously aren't a fan.

No was advertised as him coming in for a chat and people were encouraged to send in questions. Covered a range of topics, boxing (amateur and pro issue in Ireland), sports funding (LOI, male/female), Covid restrictions, Leinsters efforts to arrange a trial of testing with 2000 in attendance for a match.
    MM seemed to take it all in good faith and didn't have an issue with questions being asked even though he probably knows many would have an issue with his answers.

Yeah, wouldn’t be a fan of his in any capacity but particularly when being interviewed.

You’ve got to wonder about the confidence they have in their own ministers, and his level of unpopularity if the Taoiseach is going on to Off The Ball, it’s fairly embarrassing. Not criticising the show in any way but imagine any other head of state heading on to a sports radio programme, surely a job for Catherine Martin seeing as she is a minister in this department being paid massively and has very little to do at the moment. Bizarre that he would be on. Possibly part of the new FFG pathetic PR stuff trying to “get hip” with the youngsters, neale richmond and Simon Harris TikTok muck.

Yep, a hardcore FFG mod will jump in and tell me to move this to the politics forum and hand me a warning, but I’m not on that for a reason, this is an OTB thread and for some inexplicable reason our Taoiseach is on the show talking sport so that’s my reason for bringing politics into it.

You’ve got to wonder about the confidence they have in their own ministers, and his level of unpopularity if the Taoiseach is going on to Off The Ball, it’s fairly embarrassing. Not criticising the show in any way but imagine any other head of state heading on to a sports radio programme, surely a job for Catherine Martin seeing as she is a minister in this department being paid massively and has very little to do at the moment. Bizarre that he would be on. Possibly part of the new FFG pathetic PR stuff trying to “get hip” with the youngsters, neale richmond and Simon Harris TikTok muck.

Look, you seem to be set on MM and political parties in general.

It didn't seem to be a PR exercise but rather an opportunity to answer sports questions from the Government perspective on a widely listened to show. I'm sure it was in response to a request from OTB and I say fair play to them for doing it.

Again, I would suggest you listen to it and critique him then but maybe if you feel this strongly about them, you might be better off not doing so.

You’ve got to wonder about the confidence they have in their own ministers, and his level of unpopularity if the Taoiseach is going on to Off The Ball, it’s fairly embarrassing.

Why is it embarrassing?

They've had Jack Chambers on already. I think it's high time the leader of the country was put to task on issues impacting on sport here. Whether its funding for professional leagues and grassroots or encouraging participation in the first place.

As Joe pointed out, there are tonnes upon tonnes of journalists that can ask him about housing, health and all the other issues. Sport is criminally underfunded in this country with so many organisations basically having to fight amongst each other for a small pool of funding.

You might think its embarrassing but until you are actively involved in sport in this country you won't realise just how disgraceful it is.. 19 million for greyhound racing and 3 million for the GAA which is a cash cow in itself. It's an absolute joke and like I said earlier it's about time someone took the government to task on this.

• Advertisement

Look, you seem to be set on MM and political parties in general.

It didn't seem to be a PR exercise but rather an opportunity to answer sports questions from the Government perspective on a widely listened to show. I'm sure it was in response to a request from OTB and I say fair play to them for doing it.

Again, I would suggest you listen to it and critique him then but maybe if you feel this strongly about them, you might be better off not doing so.

Nudge, tip, gentle reminder, don’t respond starting with a patronising “look...” and then proceed to tell the person what their political interests or persuasions are, because 1. it’s none of your business and 2. Mícheál Martin as head of state has bizarrely made his way on to a sports radio programme which is odd, as I’ve pointed out we have a highly paid minister which her job description is “sport” and she is not there. That is odd. This is my point, I initially expressed my total lack of respect for the man which is why I avoid him so, why is he on a sports radio programme, and if it’s explaining Covid and future sporting events why isn’t our sports minister doing it? That is her job.

The FFG fan club is in already anyway, I’ll get a ban, or a warning soon enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement