Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 1970s - The Decade That Taste Forgot?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

The 70's produced great music and films. Dirty Harry, the Godfather, Thin Lizzy. There was more diversity in the story telling now it's remakes and reboots and the like.

Pastels, sponge painting the wall and big overly colourful jumpers, that's the 90's. Complete ****show of a non decade :)

Has fashion ever changed so much in such a small time. Get an old photo of 1965 and it could be 1945. Or earlier. A few years later and everything changes, including hairstyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Today's fashion is tomorrow's comedy

The 70's fashion was one of the greats.From flared collars,platform shoes and bell bottom jeans.And the disco that came from that era is unmatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

fvp4 wrote: »
    Has fashion ever changed so much in such a small time. Get an old photo of 1965 and it could be 1945. Or earlier. A few years later and everything changes, including hairstyle.

Well, I don't know about that. But certainly fashions in the last 30 years or so haven't really changed all that much. Myself and nearly everyone I know are still wearing the same old shite we were in the 90's.

• Advertisement

TXinLK wrote: »
    The 70's fashion was one of the greats.From flared collars,platform shoes and bell bottom jeans.And the disco that came from that era is unmatched.

Always thought it was hideous myself. Growing up in the 80's I used to look back at some of that stuff wander WTF they were thinking.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Well, I don't know about that. But certainly fashions in the last 30 years or so haven't really changed all that much. Myself and nearly everyone I know are still wearing the same old shite we were in the 90's.

I follow Dublin archive on Instagram. Just old photos of Dublin.

This is 1971 https://www.instagram.com/p/CHnm2QEpEQk/?igshid=1ii7stdvov1dx

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHTkshiJmqJ/?igshid=3ivmwlaicluq

This is 1966

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM9bGQuJn73/?igshid=8n8fevs0ckro

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIqcH6FpbTZ/?igshid=79ex7yonrbbb

Well, in fairness Ireland was a bit of outlier where fashion is concerned. We were still wearing flares here in the 80's when the rest of the world had moved on.

General fashion, though, in most of the western world had changed quite dramatically between 1945 and 1965. For example a man wouldn't have been seen dead outside without a hat on in the 40's. By the 60's they were wearing their hair long, "like girls".

Well, in fairness Ireland was a bit of outlier where fashion is concerned. We were still wearing flares here in the 80's when the rest of the world had moved on.

General fashion, though, in most of the western world had changed quite dramatically between 1945 and 1965. For example a man wouldn't have been seen dead outside without a hat on in the 40's. By the 60's they were wearing their hair long, "like girls".

Not the early to mid 60s. Even the early Beatles wore suits. I think fashion changed dramatically around 1968. There was a rise of leather wearing in the 1950s but despite some small changes it was suits and hats for men, jackets for boys and women often wore shawls.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Sammy Davis Jr. died of throat cancer at 64.

yes an unfortunate end, but he lived those 64 years to fullest man

• Advertisement

Not the early to mid 60s. Even the early Beatles wore suits. I think fashion changed dramatically around 1968. There was a rise of leather wearing in the 1950s but despite some small changes it was suits and hats for men, jackets for boys and women often wore shawls.

The Beatles may have worn suits, but they had hairstyles that would have gotten you some really strange looks, if not outright hostility, in the mid 40's.

fryup wrote: »
    yes an unfortunate end, but he lived those 64 years to fullest man

I'd daresay that Sammy would have easily traded that for a few more years if he had had the choice.

^^^not if they were boring and him needing constant care

The Beatles may have worn suits, but they had hairstyles that would have gotten you some really strange looks, if not outright hostility, in the mid 40's.

Yeh ok. You seem to want to argue a bit much in a light hearted thread so I’ll leave you to it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The mid to late 60s is where style and individualism was beginning to emerge with the advent of the teenager. The 70s was when it really took off and began to experiment.
    It was less about conformity and more about expression. They didn't invent taste in the 70s but they sure honed it.

Yeh ok. You seem to want to argue a bit much in a light hearted thread so I’ll leave you to it.

Mmmm...no. I'm just pointing out that there were very significant changes in general fashions between the 40's and the 60's. Something that's readily available to see in photos and movies from the periods in question.

While, conversely, the last 30 years have seen relatively little changes in comparison.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My impression is that fashion changed pretty radically between 1965 and 1972, with the advent of the sexual revolution and the ”counterculture” hippie movement in the West and the influence of rock and pop music, which saw an explosion in creativity and diversity in the late 1960s - longer hair for men, facial hair made a comeback after an absence of about 80 years, very long hair for women, Afros, mini skirts, jeans, tie die tops, ponchos, maxi skirts, gypsy dresses, flares, etc.

Casual clothing really took off for both sexes during this time and hats for both men and women virtually disappeared.

Then another big fashion revolution in the early to mid 1980s, driven by the influence of punk and new wave music - shorter hair for men again, perms and big hair for women, drainpipe trousers, bleached hair, return of the suit, skinny ties, big shoulder pads etc. Earrings for men came in also around this time.

And of course those in the zeitgeist like David Bowie, Grace Jones and Bryan Ferry always seemed to be at least two steps ahead of the rest. Bowie cut his hair very short in around 1975/76, just when every Joe Bloggs was sporting the long hair and sideburns George Best look. :D

So, to me it seems like fashion changes have been more like a “punctuated equilibrium” of short periods of radical change followed by relative quiescence rather than constant gradual evolution. Prior to the 1960s, fashion underwent radical change in the 1920s - particularly for women.

IMO there has been relatively little change in fashion since the late 1990s, apart from youth “fads” which always feature through time. And the ubiquitous tattoos everyone seems to sport now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

JupiterKid wrote: »
    My impression is that fashion changed pretty radically between 1965 and 1972, with the advent of the sexual revolution and the ”counterculture” hippie movement in the West and the influence of rock and pop music, which saw an explosion in creativity and diversity in the late 1960s - longer hair for men, facial hair made a comeback after an absence of about 80 years, very long hair for women, Afros, mini skirts, jeans, tie die tops, ponchos, maxi skirts, gypsy dresses, flares, etc.

Casual clothing really took off for both sexes during this time and hats for both men and women virtually disappeared.

Then another big fashion revolution in the early 1980s, driven by the influence of punk and new wave music - shorter hair for men again, perms and big hair for women, drainpipe trousers, bleached hair, return of the suit, skinny ties, big shoulder pads etc. Earrings for men came in also around this time.

And of course those in the zeitgeist like David Bowie, Grace Jones and Bryan Ferry always seemed to be at least two steps ahead of the rest. Bowie cut his hair very short in around 1975/76, just when every Joe Bloggs was sporting the long hair and sideburns George Best look. :D

IMO there has been relatively little change in fashion since the late 1990s, apart from youth “fads” which always feature through time. And the ubiquitous tattoos everyone seems to sport now.

Yeah, the only thing that seems to change is the cut if jeans and full bodied ior poker straight hair for women or whether clothes are baggy or tight fitting. Nothing really 'new' or innovative, and these things seem to returning to 90s shape at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Whatever else you can say about the 70s, at least their clothes fit. Not like the awful oversized baggy mounds of fabric that passed for clothing from the 80s to the 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Always thought it was hideous myself. Growing up in the 80's I used to look back at some of that stuff wander WTF they were thinking.
    I look back at the 70's and wonder what the hell I was doing. Good times, though.

• Advertisement

Whatever else you can say about the 70s, at least their clothes fit. Not like the awful oversized baggy mounds of fabric that passed for clothing from the 80s to the 00s.

Til the 00s? Do you remember those ridiculous jeans in the 00s, with the permenat tide mark round the swathe of denim flapping round our feet from being dragged along the wet ground all day and the hem at the back worn away from being walked on? And the top of our underwear on permanent display because the waistband was under the hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Til the 00s? Do you remember those ridiculous jeans in the 00s, with the permenat tide mark round the swathe of denim flapping round our feet from being dragged along the wet ground all day and the hem at the back worn away from being walked on? And the top of our underwear on permanent display because the waistband was under the hips.

Yeah, I was including the 00s there. I was absolutely delighted when slim fit jeans, suits, etc with proper waistlines became a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I love my 71 'not so sporty' sports car. I could live with early to mid 70's, by the latter end of the decade things we're getting a little....garish.

8pKd9QB.jpg

JupiterKid wrote: »

Then another big fashion revolution in the early to mid 1980s, driven by the influence of punk and new wave music - shorter hair for men again, perms and big hair for women, drainpipe trousers, bleached hair, return of the suit, skinny ties, big shoulder pads etc. Earrings for men came in also around this time.

So, to me it seems like fashion changes have been more like a “punctuated equilibrium” of short periods of radical change followed by relative quiescence rather than constant gradual evolution. Prior to the 1960s, fashion underwent radical change in the 1920s - particularly for women.

In every decade of the 20th Century there were numerous clothing changes in style. The 20's are quite different to the 30's. The 40's different to 50's and 60's. But sure, from the 60's to the 80's, you can see really, dare I say it, radical changes in people's clothes and styles. :D

To me, there seems to have been a real slowdown in changes to average clothing wear since the 90's for sure. Hair styles have changed somewhat, like that millennial long beard thing, which I never understood. They all looked like they belonged at Rorke's Drift to me.

In general, though, I think you could show a photo of someone from 1995 and you'd be hard pressed to guess what date it was taken in.

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    I love my 71 'not so sporty' sports car. I could live with early to mid 70's, by the latter end of the decade things we're getting a little....garish.

and what is it old boy ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Mmmm...no. I'm just pointing out that there were very significant changes in general fashions between the 40's and the 60's. Something that's readily available to see in photos and movies from the periods in question.

While, conversely, the last 30 years have seen relatively little changes in comparison.

Indeed. the fashion between 1961 and 1991 was something else and countless styles.

what has the last 3 decades provided
    a couple of generations of scabby tracksuits, hoodies, and the tacky gold sovereigns and necklaces worn on the outside of football jerseys.

Fake tan, eyebrows shaved off and drawn on with a marker, plastic boob jobs, fish mouth lip implants, and over half the female population of ireland with blonde highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Then after that we went out of the frying pan and into the fire with the skinny jeans trend. Yuck :(

Then after that we went out of the frying pan and into the fire with the skinny jeans trend. Yuck :(

Yeah, ultra skinny jeans look awful on anyone who isn't a skinny, teenage boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

SpitfireIV wrote: »

8pKd9QB.jpg
    Very nice.
    That reminds me of when I saw a an old original VW beetle tootling about one day. It was in amazing condition not a mark on it, polished and gleaming: a real thing of beauty. Later that same day I saw one of the brand new beetles and it really struck me just how clunky and downright ugly they are in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

fryup wrote: »
    and what is it old boy ?
    Triumph Spitfire IIRC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement