Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 1970s - The Decade That Taste Forgot?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I remember my sister wearing them in the early 80's, grandad thought she had chilblains lol!

I had a bright pink and black stripe pair back then. I teamed them with my love heart space boppers (remember them?)and wore them in the summer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Sardonicat wrote: »
    love heart space boppers (remember them?)

Omg you just triggered some memories lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Leg warmers have already been back and gone again. They made a brief resurgence in the noughties, about 06, I think. I invested in a lovely green pair. Trendy and snug, so I was.

Well, that's another thing that passed me by.

Probably not a bad thing.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm sure my parents still have these.
    Butlins 1979.

https://twitter.com/memorialdevice/status/1325476421414907904?s=19

I have on of the above in my bath in the apartment, use the entire suite for showers. Only way to dry clothes as you can't put them on the balcony.

Had one of those photo viewer key rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Tony EH wrote: »
    I think you'll be seeing leg warmers back in before any of that. :pac:

Off topic surely. This is a 1970s thread and leg warmers were so-o-o 1980s!!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Queen
    Queen II
    Queen A night at the opera
    Queen A day at the races
    led Zeppelin
    Thin Lizzy

ALL on vinyl. No the 70's was a golden decade!

And so much more:

Even admitting a guilty fondness for the prog rock of the early part of the decade there was the new wave from the mid 70s on, including
    Sex Pistols
    Stranglers (the early good stuff)
    Boomtown Rats (the early good stuff)
    Police (the early good stuff)
    Magazine
    Plus worthy stuff from the likes of Dylan, Neil Young, Springsteen etc

but then there also was....

cml387 wrote: »
    Hmmm, like every decade there was brilliance and there was dross.

Long Haired Lover From Liverpool. Little Jimmy Osmond
    My Ding A Ling Chuck Berry
    Having My Baby Paul Anka
    One Day At A Time Gloria

I'm sure we could all add to the list.

We certainly could.

How about all that bubble gum pop
    Bay City Rollers
    Hello
    The Dooleys (I live in abject terror of Louis Walsh discovering this lot's back catalogue and tying it to the output of some manufactured boyband/girlband/boygirlband to win some tacky TV talent show)
    Brotherhood of Man
    .....and then there was disco :eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Video games made their debut in the 1970s.

The first really successful one was Pong, unveiled by Noel Bushnell of the then fledgling company Atari in 1972 - it was a sensation at the time but by today’s standards is incredibly primitive.

11417_lok4p6ksw47kmepj.png

Then Space Invaders came along in 1978, and everything completely changed...

11417_xj5yi0c69kkm7ax5.png

The 1970s gave us many notable car models, including these two..

The Volkswagen Golf. Revolutionary design and the first decent hatchback when launched in 1974. As important as the Mini and the original VW Beetle, naturally.

11417_iahuy104ntfz8mk6.jpeg

And then there’s the very unloved 1977 Austin Allegro...

11417_0paefrvl75jo7r7a.jpeg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The early ones came with the "novelty" of a square wheel....

324127_tcm19-148829.png

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually cars are something that I do remember from my 70's childhood. Not so much particular models, but how most dads required some mechanical expertise to keep them going. Saturday morning, bonnet up, cup of tea on nearest surface, fag in corner of mouth, socket set from Hector Grays with the 10mm missing, fecking about setting ignition points and the like. Something you just don't see these days. I know a few people who don't know how to open the bonnet of their cars. A couple of years ago I was changing the oil in my car in the driveway and a neighbour was wondering had it broken down. When I told him what I was doing he was like this:

quizzical-dog2.jpg

:D

I've a care sheet for a 70's Ford Capri that recommends checking your oil every time you put petrol in the car. :eek:

It does show how reliable cars have become, but also how disconnected from them we have become. Far safer too. Back the doors were wafer thin, child locks and rear seat belts were very rare and most had brake pedals that only served as light switches for brakelights, rather than demonstrate any ability to halt progress. Oh and 60 miles per hour was shifting. Well on Irish roads back then it was positively thrill seeking. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The 1970s gave us many notable car models, including these two..

The Volkswagen Golf. Revolutionary design and the first decent hatchback when launched in 1974. As important as the Mini and the original VW Beetle, naturally.

11417_iahuy104ntfz8mk6.jpeg

And then there’s the very unloved 1977 Austin Allegro...

11417_0paefrvl75jo7r7a.jpeg
    My father had a second hand Allegro briefly in the 80s. A right banger

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually cars are something that I do remember from my 70's childhood.

Yeh I remember the popular 70's Ford models, but in the early 80's. Because they had some shape to them.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Cars today are blobs. Can't tell a i20 from a Clio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Brotherhood of Man

They had a great early B-side that was popular on the northern soul circuit. Very funky.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually cars are something that I do remember from my 70's childhood. Not so much particular models, but how most dads required some mechanical expertise to keep them going. Saturday morning, bonnet up, cup of tea on nearest surface, fag in corner of mouth, socket set from Hector Grays with the 10mm missing, fecking about setting ignition points and the like. Something you just don't see these days.

My Dad certainly spent many a Saturday morning in the 70's doing a bit of car maintenance in the driveway. He and his brothers enjoyed discussing possible causes and solutions for various problems that might have arisen. He misses being able to diagnose those kind of problems now, when even the mechanic in the garage has to plug the car into diagnostic software to identify the source of a problem. While he appreciates the improvements in safety and reliability, my Dad is deeply irritated that a job as simple as replacing the bulb in a headlight which used to take him 2 minutes, now involves removing the whole headlight unit from the engine. It's as if car manufacturers want to discourage lay people from tackling those jobs themselves.

Another car-related memory I have from my 70's childhood is my Grandmother's Morris Minor which had indicators on little arms that lifted out horizontally from the sides of the car. I think it must have been an old car even then, probably 60s or earlier.

My dad was brilliant with engines and mechanics. He would love to work on his cars when I was growing up. He taught me so much about cars and how to look after them properly. :)

The Lotus Espirit, launched in 1976 and, of course, nearly as big a star in the James Bond film The Spy Who Lived Me as Roger Moore. Such a cool set of wheels! :cool:

11417_9f0rqf0v0ljo7w9b.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

Another car-related memory I have from my 70's childhood is my Grandmother's Morris Minor which had indicators on little arms that lifted out horizontally from the sides of the car. I think it must have been an old car even then, probably 60s or earlier.

They were known as "trafficators". You'd go back to the 50's Mogs which had those fitted.

I must be alone in thinking the Allegro was actually not a bad looking car. Being mechanically poor and built at the height of Longbridge's industrial troubles didn't help.

Ok, to get this thread moving along....

The case for the Prosecution: Exhibit A - 1975 Bedroom interior with.... delightful.... floral print in eye-melting colours.

11417_fnco9yuuxkmbkzkv.jpeg

Exhibit B:
    “Funky” high end earth toned living room, 1974

11417_rm55betanjfqq0pq.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

The pic with the 2 beds above, thought they had storage heaters as headboards. Though it wouldn’t have been a bad idea what with single glazed windows and zero insulation. Houses then must have been fecking freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭archfi

I love the pics of the cars from back then, remember a lot of them.
    They had shape and character, bone rattlers but way better looking than today's carborg!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Ok, to get this thread moving along....

The case for the Prosecution: Exhibit A - 1975 Bedroom interror with.... delightful.... floral print in eye-melting colours.

11417_fnco9yuuxkmbkzkv.jpeg
    Well that woke me up.:eek:
    The pane of glass in the headboard was eh, handy!

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

KungPao wrote: »
    The pic with the 2 beds above, thought they had storage heaters as headboards. Though it wouldn’t have been a bad idea what with single glazed windows and zero insulation. Houses then must have been fecking freezing.
    I can confirm.
    SuperSers saved us when we ventured away from the open fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

man the 70's were cool, brilliant music, movies and TV

look at this TV interview for instance smokin & drinkin scotch would you see that on TV today? nah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I have been watching clips from The Dick Cavett show recently, it's hard to believe they had intelligent interviews like that in the US compared to the tripe talk shows they have nowadays. I suppose the UK followed suit too, from Parkinson type interviews to Graham Norton showing silly pictures to American celebrities.

yes, and celebrities back then were so thoughtful, worldly and intelligent - you should watch other Cavett interviews with Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Mama Cass, Marlon Brando, Paul Newman

*and check out the Mike Douglas show from the same era, a great insight to the times

Is it strange that I think that bedroom is lovely? D'ya think I might be a 70s throwback?

maybe you were conceived in a bedroom like that?

fryup wrote: »
    maybe you were conceived in a bedroom like that?

Ha, no! I do remember a hideous lime green nylon bedspread that she had on her bed in the 70s which would have been very with it, but I don't know if it preceded my creation. I would have loved a room like the one in the picture, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The case for the Prosecution: Exhibit A - 1975 Bedroom interror with.... delightful.... floral print in eye-melting colours.

It’s that wallpaper that gives you a sneak peek of a past best forgotten when you’re trying to get with the times. Tearing out the old installation and there it is… peeling back and revealing itself. Up in the corner; where the spiders live

fryup wrote: »
    look at this TV interview for instance smokin & drinkin scotch would you see that on TV today? nah

Sammy Davis Jr. died of throat cancer at 64.

So, so, cool.

• Advertisement

I have been watching clips from The Dick Cavett show recently, it's hard to believe they had intelligent interviews like that in the US compared to the tripe talk shows they have nowadays. I suppose the UK followed suit too, from Parkinson type interviews to Graham Norton showing silly pictures to American celebrities.

It's literally night and day.

I've looked at tons of Cavett and it's great to see all the old stars and faces talking about items of interest, instead of just plugging something for a 10 minute slot.

It's an actual conversation, not merely a contact obligated advertisement for their new "product", even if that does happen on Cavett as well.

However, in fairness to the the Graham Norton Show, at least it is actually funny and entertaining, cos the guests have had a few. But, yeh, in the main, those "old fashioned" conversational chat shows are dead.

Advertisement