Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Other one has hit 10000 posts...

Original here:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/117081573

Where were we...

:)

Drinking? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Drinking? :D

Or Suffering from said Drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭barsan

Hi

Really enjoy the posts here , Just to let you know there is an auction by Fonsie Mealy on 18th May at 10.30 am , its the contents of Killoughter House, Ashford, County Wicklow, Ireland - They have 27 Lots of various whiskeys and wines which maybe of interest to some of the posters here

Sorry i dont know how to post the web link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

barsan wrote: »
    Hi

Really enjoy the posts here , Just to let you know there is an auction by Fonsie Mealy on 18th May at 10.30 am , its the contents of Killoughter House, Ashford, County Wicklow, Ireland - They have 27 Lots of various whiskeys and wines which maybe of interest to some of the posters here

Sorry i dont know how to post the web link

Nice spot. Link below. I like the old school bottles in the attached picture. A lot of Cooley whiskey.

https://www.fonsiemealy.ie/catalogue/B08650D71DD10446ECF992795B7A4153/315A4C4BD46AD07A88E43DAF24E1E6BF/killoughter-house-ashford-county-wicklow-ireland/?currentPageNo=3

BonnieSituations username choice is actually an interesting story. All I'll say is expect a bid for those Two Ladies Dressage Hats from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cazale wrote: »
    Nice spot. Link below. I like the old school bottles in the attached picture. A lot of Cooley whiskey.

https://www.fonsiemealy.ie/catalogue/B08650D71DD10446ECF992795B7A4153/315A4C4BD46AD07A88E43DAF24E1E6BF/killoughter-house-ashford-county-wicklow-ireland/?currentPageNo=3

BonnieSituations username choice is actually an interesting story. All I'll say is expect a bid for those Two Ladies Dressage Hats from him.

Some nice whiskeys there. And I've always wanted a samovar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

What's the consensus on Glenmorangie Original 10 year old? I drank it last weekend and was very disappointed, tasted cheap and burnt the throat off me. I've tried all types of Irish and Scotch from cheap to expensive, and was expecting good things from Glenmoranie 10yo, is there any chance there is such a thing as a bad bottle in the batch?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Finally got the keys for our first home last Thursday - tonight is the night I crack open the MVR 2021!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Bought a Highland Park Dragon Honour in Tesco NI recently reduced to £24. it was £70 to start with last year, then went to £40, which is ridiculous for a whiskey that claims to be richer and smokier than the normal 12 year old and is neither. I mean its fine but its all marketing nonsense with them. The taste is all front end with absolutely no finish which i also found disappointing. ill come back to it in a few weeks and see what its like then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Bought a Highland Park Dragon Honour in Tesco NI recently reduced to £24. it was £70 to start with last year, then went to £40, which is ridiculous for a whiskey that claims to be richer and smokier than the normal 12 year old and is neither. I mean its fine but its all marketing nonsense with them. The taste is all front end with absolutely no finish which i also found disappointing. ill come back to it in a few weeks and see what its like then.

I am becoming quite skeptical of some the cheaper scotch that appears in the likes of Tesco and Sainsburys. There's quite a lot of non-age statement stuff appearing at seemingly good prices but when you check the reviews they're not always too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,386 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

irish_goat wrote: »
    I am becoming quite skeptical of some the cheaper scotch that appears in the likes of Tesco and Sainsburys. There's quite a lot of non-age statement stuff appearing at seemingly good prices but when you check the reviews they're not always too great.

Guessing it's stuff that was intended to be sold in airport travel retail.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Saw this ad online and thought it might raise a laugh on this thread...

irish_goat wrote: »

Yeah for sure. i got stung alright but some of them are very good value. I really like the Bunnahabhain Striurdear for £25 in Sainsbury's. While its not near the 12 for £15 less its a bargain.

Interesting Bushmills promo in the States...
    Bushmills has teamed up with NBA team the Boston Celtics for a new partnership that will last through the 2023 season and see the brand creating a series of activations and contests tailored to the team alongside custom TV spots. To celebrate the beginning of the partnership, Bushmills is offering to buy Massachusetts-based Celtics fans a whiskey. Through July 31, 2021, fans can purchase a Bushmills from a local bar or restaurant, upload their receipt to Bushmills’ website, and receive up to $6 back via Venmo, PayPal, or Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Got another present of whiskey tonight. 12 year old Bushmill stock. I've had a few glasses of the Quiet man blend before and wasn't overly keen but I'll give this a good spin when I open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

DeniG2 wrote: »
    What's the consensus on Glenmorangie Original 10 year old? I drank it last weekend and was very disappointed, tasted cheap and burnt the throat off me. I've tried all types of Irish and Scotch from cheap to expensive, and was expecting good things from Glenmoranie 10yo, is there any chance there is such a thing as a bad bottle in the batch?

It's a few years since I've drank it but I remember it as grand but a bit thin, not dissimilar to Jameson Crested but not as sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Hi Guys,

I've never tried a nosing glass before. Teeling are selling them for a fiver a go. Would they hold the same amount of whiskey as a glencairn?

Really liked my Glenmorangie 10 btw. Didnt last too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

Had a few drops of Powers Johns Lane ( new bottle) tonight. Really enjoyed it,as a change from sinlgle malts.Has anyone opinion on how it relates to older discontinued bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Following on from the post on the other thread about peated Irish whiskeys, I picked up a bottle of Teelings Blackpitts last night. Wasn’t impressed at all. I’m a big fan of Connemara, but the Teelings is very bland. It’s not Lagavulin, that’s for sure.

I’ve yet to taste a Teelings I liked.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had a few drops of Powers Johns Lane ( new bottle) tonight. Really enjoyed it,as a change from sinlgle malts.Has anyone opinion on how it relates to older discontinued bottle?

There is no indication that the product changed when the bottle shape changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I was very partial to Glenmorangie and they do a special aged in bourbon barrels which is worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Glenmorangie 10 is usually very well reviewed and would be considered a bit of a classic. It's very delicate, however, and I find that if you drink it after eating - particularly something very sweet or that will have covered your taste buds - you won't be able to taste much of anything out of it. It's as delicate as something like an Auchentoshan.

Best to approach it not having eaten, or just taken water, and then see how you get on. But it's quite subtle and floral at the best of times. I have a 2020 bottle and it's perhaps not as good as years past but it is what it is. Something like the Nectar d'Or or other sherry or port finished whiskies are Glenmorangie's forte think.

It's only 40% ABV so it shouldn't burn your throat under any circumstances, really. I would personally not add water at all at that ABV.

On the "British supermarket whiskies" thing, I have been known to stop off in Tesco in Enniskillen when passing through and would agree there is a lot of dross on the shelves...

A few that I think are worth a look, but I think ideally you want to get them it's their turn to be on sale...

Laphroaig 10 (Goes without saying, a timeless classic)
    Talisker 10 (Again, a classic in my book)
    Dalwhinnie 15
    Glenmorangie 10
    Bowmore 12

I've also heard good things about the Maccallan Gold, the Glenlivet 12 2020-2021 and as mentioned the Bunnabhain Stiureadair (Can't be bothered to check the spelling).

Buffalo Trace seems to be generally good value on NI shelves. It's a fine bourbon to sip as well as mix, especially for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

picachu wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've never tried a nosing glass before. Teeling are selling them for a fiver a go. Would they hold the same amount of whiskey as a glencairn?

Really liked my Glenmorangie 10 btw. Didnt last too long.

I like them, as they are a bit smaller, and you don't need to put as much whiskey into them.

dKd2Bjp.jpg

I like the nosing (snifter) glasses but they are very delicate. I bought a few in Porto recently for holding port and 3 out of 4 have broken sadly. Its just handy to grab as well.

Glenmorangie 10 is usually very well reviewed and would be considered a bit of a classic. It's very delicate, however, and I find that if you drink it after eating - particularly something very sweet or that will have covered your taste buds - you won't be able to taste much of anything out of it. It's as delicate as something like an Auchentoshan.

Best to approach it not having eaten, or just taken water, and then see how you get on. But it's quite subtle and floral at the best of times. I have a 2020 bottle and it's perhaps not as good as years past but it is what it is. Something like the Nectar d'Or or other sherry or port finished whiskies are Glenmorangie's forte think.

It's only 40% ABV so it shouldn't burn your throat under any circumstances, really. I would personally not add water at all at that ABV.

I did drink it after eating a meal but that’s normal for me, I had it neat, no ice or water. Compared to the likes of The Glenlivet 12 (or 15), Glenfiddich 12 or Talisker 10, it was like petrol, that’s why I was thinking it was a bad bottle because it gets good reviews, although one review on MasterOfMalt did find it the same as I did. Anyway, it’ll be perfect for hot whiskeys

Yes, to be honest that sounds very strange. If you're pretty familiar with whisky and have a bit of a palate then the complaint normally might be that Glemorangie 10 lacks punch and just tastes of very little, compared to something like a Talisker 10, not that it is like petrol or whatever.

I have never gotten a bottle of whisky that was compromised or off in some way, but it would certainly be worth looking into if it is that bad. There are counterfeit bottles of spirits going around in the pub trade but doubt that's a possibility here.

Petrol might be too strong a word but it’s very harsh, so you could be right in saying that I’ve just got used to smoother whiskeys. It reminded me of cheaper blended scotch in the €20 range, maybe I was also expecting a bit more because of the name. I might try the Quinta Ruban 14 and see if that’s more to my taste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I like the nosing (snifter) glasses but they are very delicate. I bought a few in Porto recently for holding port and 3 out of 4 have broken sadly. Its just handy to grab as well.

I did waste some money on the waterford crytsal version of the Glencairn glasses.
    Have to say they are good and solid and are nice to drink from.

I use them all the time now - mind you any difference in quality could be me in my own head haha

They do cost a good bit for 2 of them but they will last unless i actually drop and smash one.

Petrol might be too strong a word but it’s very harsh, so you could be right in saying that I’ve just got used to smoother whiskeys. It reminded me of cheaper blended scotch in the €20 range, maybe I was also expecting a bit more because of the name. I might try the Quinta Ruban 14 and see if that’s more to my taste

Yes, try the Quinta Ruba.

Glenmorangie 10 definitely isn't considered a harsh whisky by almost any measure, if anything it's too delicate / refined for some people's taste. Is something amiss I wonder.

• Advertisement

I did waste some money on the waterford crytsal version of the Glencairn glasses.
    Have to say they are good and solid and are nice to drink from.

I use them all the time now - mind you any difference in quality could be me in my own head haha

They do cost a good bit for 2 of them but they will last unless i actually drop and smash one.

I have collected some expensive whisky glasses over the years, from Baccarat, and they are so thick at the base that one survived a drop from a decent height! Not that I would recommend it. The glass thins out wonderfully approaching the lip. They're more your typical low whisky glass in form than a snifter, however.

I had Glencairn pattern snifters and they have all broken one by one, sometimes just from handwashing.

I have a couple of nice enough glasses from J Hill also, but Baccarat are in a class of their own.

At the end of the day you can drink whisky out of a lot of cheap glasses and it's totally fine, but there's something nice about having even two good heavyweight options that feel good in the hand and on the eye.

Advertisement