Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancouver greenhouse

Options
  • 04-05-2021 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

I bought a Dancouver Greenhouse. it is sold in kit form. I am having terrible trouble assembling it and I am wondering if anyone here ever attempted putting one together?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Depending on model there are pdf downloads for your greenhouse and everything is labelled as to what goes where.

Its the reading and sorting out all those numbers as it could be anything.Booklets are small pc can make it bigger.

Sorting out different piles for base , uprights , crossmembers , eaves etc might make things handier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

The manual is 29 pages long -refers to 136 pieces, refers to 516 nuts and this morning a very experienced handyman, i asked to assemble gave up. I don't blame him. i suspect it was designed c1960 and they have been flogging it ever since.

Instructions for many things are brief and hard to understand , did you pull it up on laptop as a bigger picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Which one did you buy

I put together the mini greenhouse last week

https://www.dancovershop.com/ie/product/mini-greenhouse-12x121x148m-plant-inn-clear.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

They are easy enough to put up but I'd taken down and put quite a few different ones over the years. They require time and patience.

What's the main problem. Normally its a one man job apart from when its handy to have someone hold one of the sides up.

In most cases you start by making the sides flat on the ground then the ends, then tip the rear end and one side upright and put them together thats when two people come in handy. once you have two sides done you just add the other two. The ridge goes on next then the roof glazing bars. The glass goes in last but with the polycarbonate ones it helps with some of them to put at least one section of polycarbonate in when the sections are flat on the ground as it helps keep everything square.

Without know exactly which one you have its hard to give any other advice?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Its printed out and studied endlessly, onscreen and in print. The frame has part numbers on some of the parts but the manual does not actually mention these part numbers. Instead it gives clues as to where these parts should go. Its the Dancover Duo.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

pjproby wrote: »
    Its printed out and studied endlessly, onscreen and in print. The frame has part numbers on some of the parts but the manual does not actually mention these part numbers. Instead it gives clues as to where these parts should go.

Did you put the model into Youtube. plenty of installation videos

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

As said above, lay everything out and make sure you know what's what.

The instructions are a bit haphazard, and you need to be careful with bars which may be drilled differently on each side, but they do fit together okay. You just need a lot of patience and a love of M4 nuts and bolts

Thanks for all the replies. We need to review the situation, as the song said.

So is like this one and not like a normal one with sides and glass.

https://www.dancovershop.com/product-images/gh120010.pdf

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    So is like this one and not like a normal one with sides and glass.

That's the culprit .

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

My greenhoue (not Dancouver) required a lot of the aluminium bolts to be preloaded into the uprights to allow for the angled roof supports to be connected- it took me a frustrating amount of disassembly to work that out!

hirondelle wrote: »
    My greenhoue (not Dancouver) required a lot of the aluminium bolts to be preloaded into the uprights to allow for the angled roof supports to be connected- it took me a frustrating amount of disassembly to work that out!

Its not that type of greenhouse. tbh its a style I'd avoid :o

hirondelle wrote: »

Think when we got our EDEN greenhouse we were told to add extra bolts 2 or 3 per upright and roof slants, why you ask shelves can be added or you want to hang a few small flower pots.

Twine for tying up tomatoes etc.

Think when we got our EDEN greenhouse we were told to add extra bolts 2 or 3 per upright and roof slants, why you ask shelves can be added or you want to hang a few small flower pots.

Twine for tying up tomatoes etc.

I always used to use cropped head bolts they go into the slots after then ends of the glazing bars are closed off. When you turn them they lock fully.

I always used to use cropped head bolts they go into the slots after then ends of the glazing bars are closed off. When you turn them they lock fully.

Have loads of them but on old Crittall greenhouse uses flat headed screws which are slid up the bars as there is a centre line for screw slot to lock into and not turn.

Have loads of them but on old Crittall greenhouse uses flat headed screws which are slid up the bars as there is a centre line for screw slot to lock into and not turn.

That must be going back a good bit.

Neighbours across the road were scrapping old one and must be 40 years old but missed out on the door as it went first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What's the quality of the greenhouse like? Could we get a photo when done :)

If we ever get there, i will post a photo. Its a very solid structure and has, as one of Roddy Doyle's characters said, potential though you have to string potential out to get the idea.

• Advertisement

Crap weather forcast i see OMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Oh no! Just seeing this now and I've this model ordered. I'm not looking forward to the assembly.

https://www.dancovershop.com/ie/product/orangery-polycarbonate-oasis-hexagonal-anthracite.aspx

Pipmae wrote: »
    Oh no! Just seeing this now and I've this model ordered. I'm not looking forward to the assembly.

https://www.dancovershop.com/ie/product/orangery-polycarbonate-oasis-hexagonal-anthracite.aspx

I wouldn't worry to much that is a slightly tricker assembly than a standard aluminium greenhouse but not on the same level as the OP's.

Very cool,
    Make sure you post pictures of the finished article.
    A decent sized GH with room to sit down and have a G&T is a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Very cool,
    Make sure you post pictures of the finished article.
    A decent sized GH with room to sit down and have a G&T is a treat.
    There's an inflatable hot tub going into it - hoping to fit some seating as well. :D

There's an inflatable hot tub going into it - hoping to fit some seating as well. :D

Living the dream :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭blackbox

Instructions here seem to be fairly comprehensive:

Is this what you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

There's a bit more work to it than the instructions suggest, and a bit of ingenuity may be required. Some parts were not marked, so took a bit of working out. Pay close attention to the drawings as well, as it's possible to fit some parts the wrong way round. I also had end parts which were marked identically, but were actually drilled slightly differently for left and right side.

Mine is a slightly different model and a bit larger, but many of the parts are identical.

blackbox wrote: »
    Instructions here seem to be fairly comprehensive:

Is this what you have?
    That's the model ok, the manual is difficult to understand, only some parts are numbered, many are not. I would strongly advise people against buying it.
    This is it now and hopefully it will be covered and finished tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

pjproby wrote: »
    That's the model ok, the manual is difficult to understand, only some parts are numbered, many are not. I would strongly advise people against buying it.
    This is it now and hopefully it will be covered and finished tomorrow.

Looks great OP, delighted you kept at it! Well done!

Advertisement