Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

dogbert27 wrote: »
    As a third country would their luggage under go more scrutiny at security?
    They certainly will on the return leg, wherein, with the duty free allowance significantly lower than the intra-EU personal allowance (and you average John Smith likely unaware of the fact), the green/red channel exits at UK airports should provide more entertainment than usual this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

ambro25 wrote: »
    the green/red channel exits at UK airports should provide more entertainment than usual this summer.

Possibly as much as the blue channel in the EU, with British travellers being reminded that they have no reason to be there ... oh, and do you have veterinary certificates for these foodstuffs you're importing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Possibly as much as the blue channel in the EU, with British travellers being reminded that they have no reason to be there ... oh, and do you have veterinary certificates for these foodstuffs you're importing?
    Nah, I'll stick to the UK side customs exit: unless package holiday Brits have changed drastically in the last 3 years, there will still be a very sizeable contingent of midlanders and northerners traveling out with empty cases, intent on filling them up with fags and knockoff branded stuff for flogging down' t' pub and to mates when they get back.

I've got the length of UK residence and co-holidaying with/knowing/seeing the type, to warrant my belief in the stereotype and its scale ;)

Problem is, post 01.01.21. "it's for my personal consumption" doesn't wash anymore (when returning from an EU27 resort): pay up or leave them on the counter.

(I'm well aware that there are intra-EU limits as well, note)

ambro25 wrote: »
    Nah, I'll stick to the UK side customs exit: unless package holiday Brits have changed drastically in the last 3 years, there will still be a very sizeable contingent of midlanders and northerners traveling out with empty cases, intent on filling them up with fags and knockoff branded stuff for flogging down' t' pub and to mates when they get back.

I've got the length of UK residence and co-holidaying with/knowing/seeing the type, to warrant my belief in the stereotype and its scale ;)

Ahhh. We mix with different classes of stereotype! The ones I see clogging up the arrivals lounges in Tours and Limoges are mostly "ex pats" (or their guests) lugging cases packed with essential imports, such as pork pies, "proper" sausages, hunks of real cheese, and a host of other British foodstuffs without which life amongst the culinary heretics in France would be intolerable! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Do you think the average Brexiteer who is gonna want to go to Spain for two weeks of sun is going to care that they need to get their passport stamped? The 90 days in 180 days thing is probably way more time than the average Brit spends on the continent I would have thought. I am more concerned that they won't accept the Irish passport card on arrival in Britain.

They are going to insist all Europeans will use a passport on arrival in Britain in the future. Up to now most EU citizens would have been using their ID cards. Lots of Europeans don't actually have normal passports. I fly there from time to time but from Schengen so have to go through the checks. Be a bit of a pain to go back to carrying a passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    I am more concerned that they won't accept the Irish passport card on arrival in Britain.

Why are you concerned about that considering that a passport isn't required at all by an Irish person going to the UK.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/ireland_and_the_uk/common_travel_area_between_ireland_and_the_uk.html

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Why are you concerned about that considering that a passport isn't required at all by an Irish person going to the UK.
    I fly there from time to time but from Schengen so have to go through the checks.

A passport isn't required when an Irish person travels to the UK from Ireland. Entering the UK from any other country, a passport is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

yagan wrote: »
    When I read that Tony Connelly piece this morning my first thought was how a reverse Teresa May backstop feel inevitable, GB eventually shuffling towards an alignment with Ireland, especially when the GFA is a Biden redline.

I'd call this new situation the Irish Regulatory Alignment, or IRA for short.

Or they could cede NI...it would really be the most elegant solution to solve thsi "EU issue" and the added bonus is getting rid of problematic province requiring a lot of money to sustain.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Peregrinus wrote: »
    dogbert27 wrote: »
    Add to that the amount of time being wasted due to the complaining being made by the UK passport holders having to understand that they are no longer allowed use the same lanes as before, complaining about the questions being asked, etc

They'll get used to it quite quickly. "Mustn't grumble" is, after all, the British way. :)

UK travellers (or Irish) coming from the CTA/UK have never arrived at the same gates in a Schengen country where flights from Schengen members arrives.

Flights from non-Schengen destinations do not have passports checked at all.

Lars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭yagan

I am more concerned that they won't accept the Irish passport card on arrival in Britain.
    My wife and I arrived in England from the Schengen zone a few years ago with just our passport cards on us. I went to one booth where the officer looked at the card and said to their colleague "we should have had this years ago!"; waved on, no problem.

My wife at the next booth was delayed and told she needed her passport and not an ID card. I reckon she got held up for about five minutes until a supervisor cleared her. The immigration officer had never seen one before.

If I have to make a similar journey in the future I'd be inclined to use my passport book as like others have noted there seems to be a campaign to make entering the UK an unpleasant experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Do you think the average Brexiteer who is gonna want to go to Spain for two weeks of sun is going to care that they need to get their passport stamped? The 90 days in 180 days thing is probably way more time than the average Brit spends on the continent I would have thought.

They will care when they find that it starts to impact them - not Johnny Foreigner - should they find they decide to go on a weekend break six months later or travel for football fixtures and the clock was left running ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Lemming wrote: »
    They will care when they find that it starts to impact them - not Johnny Foreigner - should they find they decide to go on a weekend break six months later or travel for football fixtures and the clock was left running ...

This is it in a nutshell. They're happy to run down their own country, empty their reserves of soft power and influence and destory the prospects of the next generation but ask them for a nominal fee for a 5-year visa to go to Benidorm and then they suddenly care.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

yagan wrote: »
    If I have to make a similar journey in the future I'd be inclined to use my passport book as like others have noted there seems to be a campaign to make entering the UK an unpleasant experience.
    I've had similar frustrating experiences with UK border guards.

In 2018, I flew from Malaga to Gatwick. My wife and a friend of ours (both Spanish) got through no bother. I was pulled aside and asked for more docs (valid Irish passport not good enough?!).

I have a Spanish Foreign Resident ID card which doesn't have a pic, just my name, my address and a Spanish ID number (in Spanish as well so they had to take my word for it). The officer then quizzed me about why I needed it if Spain and Ireland are in the EU. I politely explained that it was just to prove that I was a registered as a foreign citizen in Spain and it wasn't any kind of a permit. He shrugged and let me through. I still don't understand what the problem was.

I was also pulled aside in Holyhead of all places and had to explain the stamps in my passport for a trip to Brazil I'd made years earlier.

My sister lives in Manchester and I have a nephew there and a newborn niece I'm yet to see, not to mention friends in London, Leeds and Southampton. I'll probably go over in the summer and I'm dreading it just thinking of the inevitable hassle that there'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Some ex-pat friends in Switzerland are delighted to find stocks of cheddar and other previous UK goods have all returned to the shelves in supermarkets - all products are now Irish brands and delicious, they said.

UK is fast disappearing into a black hole of its own making.
    Thanks to brexit you can now get Superquinn sausages in the Canaries. No joke. I've seen the pictures. Musgraves have displaced UK suppliers in British shops. All SuperValu lines now in the chilled meats sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

redcup342 wrote: »
    Same here in Spain and in Germany, UK Stock is disappearing and Irish stock is replacing it. I guess most of it is coming from the Musgraves Group.

Dealz in Torremolinos now have various products sourced from Ireland instead of the UK.

Can I ask?

Musgraves is exporting and wholesaling food out of Ireland into Spain?

Selling to Spanish retailers?

Did they always do this?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As was reported two months ago, Musgraves are now supplying British shops in Belgium so them supplying Spanish shops would not surprise me...
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1367879492971229189?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

https://www.musgrave.es/

They are active in Spain in their own right, running the same kind of franchise operations as in Ireland in the local Spanish market. They are well placed to benefit from Brexit in Spain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

As was reported two months ago, Musgraves are now supplying British shops in Belgium so them supplying Spanish shops would not surprise me...
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1367879492971229189?s=19

That story of the Belgium store being supplied Irish rashers from Roscrea was picked up by Sky News and a shop in N. France picked up on it and ordered goods from Ireland, as did a German store, and in Luxembourg, so I think it will spread among the Anglophone shops that cannot get their fix on 'good' food.

There was an item on the radio on Saturday about an Irish farm yoghurt producer who supplies yoghurt into the Emirates. He got a speculative phone call from Belgium but ignored it. It was followed up by a definite request for supply. His response was 'How do I get it to you?' The caller answered - 'You just need to get a pallet to Roscrea!' - 'Sure, I can do that' he said. So that started the ball rolling.

A plus for Brexit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Update on Channel Islands vs France over Fishing rights.
    The row emerged over a new licensing system for French fishing vessels introduced by the Government of Jersey under the UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA).
    French authorities said "new technical measures" for fishing off the Channel Islands had not been communicated to the EU, rendering them "null and void".

Looks like the French are tired of tit for tat and moving goal posts and have threatened to pull the plug, literally because 95% of Jersey's electricity comes from France.

Great way to put yourself front and centre, they can't expect France to help them now on any future EU Tax Haven issues. Fight the power is fine but not when you are provoking an existential crisis over a small issue which you could never win because all the processing plants are in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Update on Channel Islands vs France over Fishing rights.

Looks like the French are tired of tit for tat and moving goal posts and have threatened to pull the plug, literally because 95% of Jersey's electricity comes from France.

Great way to put yourself front and centre, they can't expect France to help them now on any future EU Tax Haven issues. Fight the power is fine but not when you are provoking an existential crisis over a small issue which you could never win because all the processing plants are in France.

Not sure if they are going too far there, I am sure there are people who could die or become seriously ill if they went ahead with that threat, obviously hospitals might have generators but people with kidney issues, asthma issues etc could have difficulties.

• Advertisement

There was an item on the radio on Saturday about an Irish farm yoghurt producer who supplies yoghurt into the Emirates. He got a speculative phone call from Belgium but ignored it. It was followed up by a definite request for supply. His response was 'How do I get it to you?' The caller answered - 'You just need to get a pallet to Roscrea!' - 'Sure, I can do that' he said. So that started the ball rolling.

A plus for Brexit.

Maybe ... but it's a bit disheartening to think that someone who can ship yoghurt to the Middle East doesn't know how to supply a customer in Belgium ... and that they would ignore a tentative enquiry. This is why I was curious to hear about smaller Irish producers taking the initiative - the Brexit hole won't remain unfilled forever, and all along I've thought there was a degree of complacency in Ireland about how determined the UK was to pursue a bad Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Not sure if they are going too far there, I am sure there are people who could die or become seriously ill if they went ahead with that threat, obviously hospitals might have generators but people with kidney issues, asthma issues etc could have difficulties.

Absolutely, its a ridiculous threat by the French to turn off electricity because a few fishermen are too lazy or inept to fill in a form (particularly given that most of them have already done so). This is the type of PR own goal that will make the UK population increasing happy at least for now with their decision to leave the EU.

The British government has/had a load of generators on ships ready to power Northern Ireland in the event of no-agreement-on-electricity deal, so there should be no problem keeping the lights on in a different set of islands.

Absolutely, its a ridiculous threat by the French to turn off electricity because a few fishermen are too lazy or inept to fill in a form (particularly given that most of them have already done so).

It's not laziness - the Channel Islands authorities are demanding a specific form of proof of historic activity that the fishermen are unable to provide because they weren't told they'd need it until a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Absolutely, its a ridiculous threat by the French to turn off electricity because a few fishermen are too lazy or inept to fill in a form (particularly given that most of them have already done so). This is the type of PR own goal that will make the UK population increasing happy at least for now with their decision to leave the EU.
    SFAIK the problem is not that the French fishermen failed to fill in the form. Rather, when they did fill it in they got back licences subject to new and sweeping restrictions that hadn't applied before regarding e.g. the number of days they could fish. That wasn't part of the deal, as far as they (and the French government) were concerned. And, reading between the lines, the French objection is not that these restrictions can't be introduced, but they they can't be introduced without consultation, discussion, possibly agreement, which the Jerseyais appear to have overlooked.

But, yeah, you're right; this is an offensive and ridiculous threat, which will never be acted upon. I'm guessing that Girardin is the Pritti Patel of French politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,341 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The electricity 'threat' was made by France's 'maritime and overseas territories minister' Annick Girardin. As titles go, it sounds equivalent in power and relevance to the weakest of our junior ministries.

So I don't see it as an actual threat, more so a minor politician playing to her base to look tough.

Obviously it gets translated in the media as 'the French government threatening to block electricity to hospitals' and doubtless will be regarded as a great victory for the UK when the threat isn't followed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

It's not laziness - the Channel Islands authorities are demanding a specific form of proof of historic activity that the fishermen are unable to provide because they weren't told they'd need it until a few months ago.

According to the Jersey politician interviewed for this story in the Guardian "of the 41 boats that sought licences under the new rules last Friday, all but 17 had provided the evidence required."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/05/jersey-french-threat-cut-electricity-post-brexit-licences-boats

If the UK has to accept the reality of now being a third country after Brexit then countries like France also have to accept the reality of UK sovereignty. Its a two way thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

The strong tactics are working very well for France, they benefit the most from access to British waters, gave away very little to get it, most of the species they traded they weren't catching and now they want the way the compensation package is given out changed because they lost so little they weren't entitled to get enough.The reality is that as long as the intimidation is working they will keep doing it, hard to blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Not when your an offshore island interdependent on the mainland to provide certain services.

• Advertisement

According to the Jersey politician interviewed...

Well, duh! :rolleyes:

Yes, those boats that were equipped with GPS transponders ten years ago, and have been recording their movements over the last decade and archiving the records, they've been able to get hold of a permit. But nobody was told ten years ago that that's what they'd be asked for in the Spring of 2021 - that was a requirement conjured up by the Channel Islanders in ... the Spring of 2021.

Advertisement