Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,165 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You are right, the ultimate irony of these kinds of decisions is they mostly hit those people who only buy on occasion as its not worth the effort getting around them.
    The same people they are not really intended for.
    Still amazed such changes are coming in with so little debate or opposition. Where the studies supporting this? Compared to studies showing negative impacts etc.
    Mind you my opposition is more based on point of principle rather than anything else.

One Question though, this price increase - is it basically just giving shops and companies more money - or is there a taxation increase to force this? In other words are the tax payer in a lose lose entirely or at least will there be more money for public expenditure? Surely this would be daft if all the extra cost just goes to drink companies ans shops selling... Punish the sale of alcohol by potentially increasing the profits is a bit daft no?

apart from a tiny increase in the VAT collected the extra cost goes to the distributor/retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

"Minister for Health to bring memo to Cabinet on Tuesday detailing proposals"

Has he nothing else to be focussing on? There was something mentioned 'briefly' in the news about a virus? Maybe he should be looking into that?

That useless baldy headed fella hasn't a clue what he is doing.

He is looking for his MM smoking ban moment - something to claim as his when he gets dumped out forever in another year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

“It all seems very sensible” to them. Unbelievable.

No mention of the poor being affected, because **** them. Only heavy drinkers and young people who seek ‘cheap’ drink.

Some neck.

Segment on the news just now saying Cannabis is much more dangerous than previously thought, especially for younger brains.

Everyone ignoring the fact MUP makes weed more attractive.

It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

That useless baldy headed fella hasn't a clue what he is doing.

He is looking for his MM smoking ban moment - something to claim as his when he gets dumped out forever in another year or so.

I'm too young to remember, what was the reaction to the smoking ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭dubrov

That Irish times article is pure trash. It presents some poorly thought out assumptions as fact. No attempt is made at any deeper analysis at all.

I'm too young to remember, what was the reaction to the smoking ban

Was a contentious one but it was well discussed and the justifications for it were presented for everyone to see.

I supported the move as a smoker at the time. The impact on non smokers in pubs was undeniable so we chose to hit the few to save the many.

This time we hit the many to compensate the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Segment on the news just now saying Cannabis is much more dangerous than previously thought, especially for younger brains.

What happened in Scotland after MUP was introduced? Drug use skyrocketed across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

VinLieger wrote: »
    What happened in Scotland after MUP was introduced? Drug use skyrocketed across the board.

Of course that’ll happen. Drugs definitely the substance of choice amongst the younger generation, and far more damaging and toxic. I’d much rather my kids have a few drinks than take drugs, but anyways. Point of diminishing returns will be hit quickly with alcohol and the drug dealers will be delighted with the boost in sales.

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

All those low-volume consumers of alcohol just decided they weren't going to put up with this anti-competitive intervention in the free-market and went mad on the smack did they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Was a contentious one but it was well discussed and the justifications for it were presented for everyone to see.

I supported the move as a smoker at the time. The impact on non smokers in pubs was undeniable so we chose to hit the few to save the many.

This time we hit the many to compensate the few.
    I smoked then too. Sure it was the end of an era and an adjustment, but we all knew it made sense and long before then, smoking was banned from planes, buses, shopping centres, inside work places (bar the staff room) so it was a logical progression. Martin gets way too much credit for it.

But I don’t believe now as drinker, I’ll happily pay more for a can of beer and think ‘jeez, what were we thinking ‘only’ paying €1.30 for a can of Karpackie?’

And Paddy the gambler who also likes a drink will still be getting plastered anyway, he won’t care. Just his kids can forget about getting FIFA 22 for their birthdays. Paddy needs his medicine.

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    All those low-volume consumers of alcohol just decided they weren't going to put up with this anti-competitive intervention in the free-market and went mad on the smack did they?

Ohh look a straw man, this thread hasn't had one of them in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭tjhook

Thats not a case of the gift set being cheaper, more a case of the regular bottle being more expensive. 31 euros for Tullamore Dew is shocking. Its 25 in SuperValu. About 22 in Tesco.

Yes, I agree.

But it does appear that a "gift set" has no legal requirement to be more (or as) expensive than the alcoholic product alone. Which opens the possibility that an imaginative brand could package a €18 bottle of gin with something like glasses or mixer at the MUP of €22. Thus maintaining a gap between basic and premium brands, and minimising the loss to the consumer.

Whether or not they have any motivation to do so is another question... I won't hold my breath but you never know.

KungPao wrote: »
    And Paddy the gambler who also likes a drink will still be getting plastered anyway, he won’t care. Just his kids can forget about getting FIFA 22 for their birthdays. Paddy needs his medicine.

More like the kids can get used to having a chipper 7 nights a week instead of 2-3... ohh whats that suddenly the diabetes and obesity epidemic in our children has gotten worse? Well at least they cant walk down the alcohol aisle in a supermarket cus that would lead to real problems......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

RTE where the(ir) truth matters

Ohh look a straw man, this thread hasn't had one of them in a while.

Pfff.

You're the one attempting to link MUP with "skyrocketing" drug use (in Scotland).

Hey. Look. I don't really care about this change so I'm going to leave the thread to people who do. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Which will make the local drug dealer look like better value as a result. It's really as though the government haven't considered that aspect of it at all. Madness. :rolleyes:
    No you're right the only choices are cheaper drink or everyone will take illegal drugs instead.

Where are the facts to back this up? There just seems to be a general assumption that this is the case whereas it appears not to be, and an increase in drug use is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Drug use will be cheaper. Good on yis. Pack of thickos running the gaff.

Where are the facts to back this up?

It's common sense. If Joe Soap has access to alcohol and drugs, and suddenly the price of one of those products increases, the alternative looks a lot more appealing.

Personally, I don't really drink (about a can a month if you averaged it out across a year) and I've never touched drugs in any form. However, I can still see the obvious transition from one to the other that many people will make. Especially those in their teens who can now get off their tits for a fraction of the price than alcohol.

Drug use is widely accepted in Irish society, despite the damage it does. People will turn to it fairly fast, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

KungPao wrote: »
    “It all seems very sensible” to them. Unbelievable.

No mention of the poor being affected, because **** them. Only heavy drinkers and young people who seek ‘cheap’ drink.

Some neck.
    TBH if you are reading the Irish Times you probably won't be affected by MUP in the same that people who are aren't at that end of the socio-economic scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ReturnOfThe

The levels of "mouth foaming" from the alcohol users in this thread lends more credence to the argument for MUP than any scientific study could.
    Follow the science and what the health professionals are saying and what most of you deep down already know.
    There is a reason we have a sugar tax, a carbon tax etc..gentle fiscal nudges away from practices which cost us more in the long run.
    Hopefully only the first in a series of measures to be deployed in the years ahead to address our nation's dependancy on alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭dubrov

Well we have a long history already of increasing the price of alcohol in Ireland.

Has it been effective at improving our relationship with alcohol?

Maybe it's time to look at other angles (see advertising/sponsorship)

The levels of "mouth foaming" from the alcohol users in this thread lends more credence to the argument for MUP than any scientific study could.
    Follow the science and what the health professionals are saying and what most of you deep down already know.
    There is a reason we have a sugar tax, a carbon tax etc..gentle fiscal nudges away from practices which cost us more in the long run.
    Hopefully only the first in a series of measures to be deployed in the years ahead to address our nation's dependancy on alcohol.

Yeah we have sugar tax because some fatties can't control their eating - not at all comparable to carbon tax (a now ringfenced fund being used to offset emmission based damage to the environment - Also note these are taxes)

Your jump that comments provides more evidence than a scientific study adds no credence to the credibility of your argument. Of course not having open public discourse on the issue has not helped us understand it all.

If you are anti drinking I guess thats a blinkered mindset you have - some of us are adults and can enjoy a drink safely while living healthy lives.

The major issues here is that the fiscal policy employed gives nothing to revenue - provides no positive enforcement or long term improvement - merely makes a few drinks more expensive for everyone.

And has been driven by a few people who's minds are warped by experiences specific to individuals in their lives. If i grew up with an alco in the family I may have a hardline view - but then when has a hardline view worked well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Follow the science lol

The exact same bottle of whiskey will now be over €10 dearer over the border than here

Is the same bottle of whiskey is 45% more harmful in Dundalk than Newry?

You can get a bottle of scotch for €6.59 in Germany

Same bottle would be 235% dearer here under MUP

We're already the second dearest in Europe

This will just be more price gouging

dubrov wrote: »
    Well we already have a long history already of increasing the price of alcohol in Ireland.

Has it been effective at improving our relationship with alcohol?

Maybe it's time to look at other angles (see advertising/sponsorship)

Yup the old under 3 quid Guinness - long gone and no difference to how many i'd drink.

Also budget tax increase at least allows any increase to be used to fund something positive - this is merely a hack to suit a few mental cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We have the 2nd highest alcohol prices in the EU in this country.

During 2020, pubs, restaurants, events etc were shut down for considerable periods.
    Alcohol consumption dropped 6%.

People were purchasing cheaper alcohol in supermarkets & off licences relative to what would be pub and restaurants and event prices.

The faulty logic of MUP suggests this should have increased.
    It did not, which suggests alcohol is price inelastic and MUP will not impact consumption.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Where are the facts to back this up? There just seems to be a general assumption that this is the case whereas it appears not to be, and an increase in drug use is minimal.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-48853004

Drug deaths in Scotland have been rising for a number of years, but have accelerated in more recent years. The page you linked says exactly that to, did you not read it yourself? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

From the looks of things we also need an MUP for boot polish.

TBH that's for cooking with.

Wine Snob Alert!

Just because its cheap does not mean it's sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭tjhook

I think at this stage MUP is a done deal. The next question is how is its effectiveness going to be measured?

If alcohol consumption goes down in the coming year, does it prove MUP works?

If alcohol consumption goes up does it mean MUP works but more is needed?

A kind of "heads I win, tails you lose"?

Advertisement