Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

aloooof wrote: »
    It’s not the best show in the world, but I’ve definiately found it very watchable. Except for a wobble in season 4 where it got a bit silly. Better than the usual shows of its ilk, tho.

Each to their own, mind.

I think it's normally very good, the odd wobble, unfortunately tonight was an example of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah it's normally pretty decent stuff. Certain seasons have been excellent. But it's not a show you can catch the odd episode of and appreciate it tbh. You kinda need to go all in to fully get it. I'm torn on tonight's one. There were elements of it that were interesting and other bits that were really flat. But I haven't been as impressed with this season as a whole tbh.

There must be another season though. I dont think any of the storyline or arcs have been closed out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah it's normally pretty decent stuff. Certain seasons have been excellent. But it's not a show you can catch the odd episode of and appreciate it tbh. You kinda need to go all in to fully get it. I'm torn on tonight's one. There were elements of it that were interesting and other bits that were really flat. But I haven't been as impressed with this season as a whole tbh.

There must be another season though. I dont think any of the storyline or arcs have been closed out at all.

There was one bit that got me thinking
    Hastings admitting to Carmichael that he leaked to the OCG that there was a rat, that surely sets up another series, maybe its a trap to see if Carmichael is bent, maybe I'm trying to find something that isn't there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

bilston wrote: »
    Why do you bring "the English" into it? Plenty of people like it. Nationality has nothing to do with it. Two of the three lead actors are Scottish and Northern Irish. In fact there are loads of non English actors in it...oh and it's filmed in Belfast.

Ah here
    the only time I've seen snippets of it is on Gogglebox... which is an English show... they go ape for it on that...none of my circle watch it, so I have no point of reference ...is that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ah here
    the only time I've seen snippets of it is on Gogglebox... which is an English show... they go ape for it on that...none of my circle watch it, so I have no point of reference ...is that ok?

You don't watch it but still claim to think it's sh1t and threw in some casual racism on top.

Do you not see the issue there?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You don't watch it but still claim to think it's sh1t and threw in some casual racism on top.

I've read TIIMs last three posts....

Where is the casual racism?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I've read TIIMs last three posts....

Where is the casual racism?

Blithely ascribing the fuss over LoD to "the English" when it's every bit as popular here.

Please feel free to tell me it's not racism, it's xenophobia. I don't care.

Blithely ascribing the fuss over LoD to "the English" when it's every bit as popular here.

Please feel free to tell me it's not racism, it's xenophobia. I don't care.

Theres no fear, abuse or hatred in the comment therefore its neither racist or xenophobic.

Throwing out trite accusations of such serious nature only serves to empower actual cases of racism

Since I was born in England and half Welsh, I think you're talking absolute rubbish.
    And withdraw your moronic posts please

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Theres no fear, abuse or hatred in the comment therefore its neither racist or xenophobic.

Throwing out trite accusations of such serious nature only serves to empower actual cases of racism

It's not hatred, it's just a general dismissiveness based on nothing more than an underlying prejudice. I don't know where you got that definiton but you do not have to fear anyone to be racist against them.

You seem more worked up about it than me tbh. I'm more annoyed that he's making comments about a programme that he's never seen.

• Advertisement

I'm not worked up at all.

I'll just direct you to the parable of the boy who cried wolf, and ask you that you restrict your accusations of racism to actual cases of racist behaviour....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Miriam Gonzalez Durantez

List of space movies/shows in the last decade which give good insight into space ethics:

1. Gravity (all sorts of things go wrong, displays problems which arise in space such as extreme hot/cold temps and space debris showers)
    2. Interstellar- goes into solar system travel and is far fetched in its theory of time and space but looks to the lengths we can get in near future in solar system)
    3. Ad Astra- specifically addresses space law and ethics and privatisation but also how far we can get in solar system. Shows colonisation of Moon & Mars
    4. Stowaway - saw this yesterday. Very realistic (not that I’d know) but shows thing like oxygen and CO2 science and management in space station per bodies on board. Interesting small details into space travel.
    5. Away - Netflix 8 episodes. Hillary Swank. Very good. Also about a trip to Mars. So far shows how chemicals and water can cause fires on board space station. Chain of command questions and ethics also.
    6. The Expanse- I haven’t seen but understand it addresses inter solar system politics and conflict.

Absencies for ridicule ness - The Martian.

Any other notable additions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭OldRio

I've only ever seen snippets of Line of Duty, it looks absolute muck...
    don't get in the car....moron gets in the car kinda program....
    Can't understand why the English cream themselves over it at all tbh

Just for your information. If you have a look on the Television section of 'boards' there is a 263 page thread on Line of Duty. I don't think all those posters are English.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah here

Tbh, I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you're only forming an opinion of LOD based on snippets from Gogglebox. Gogglebox, by it's nature, is a show that's designed to only show the extreme / silly / funny bits. I wouldn't be reading too much into any show from that.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is supposed to be the lighthearted and fun thread. A few posters need to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Why do the English go ape over Gogglebox anyway?

Almost finished season 1 of Line of Duty after a chorus of recommendations.

Think it's pretty poor fair to be honest. Inconsistent and constant leaps of faith that really don't seem to make any sense at all.

Does it get better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I watched the 1st series too and thought it was terrible. I generally don't like those murder/mystery type of shows though. My folks can't get enough of it. Completely hooked.

Buer wrote: »
    Why do the English go ape over Gogglebox anyway?

We love the Irish Gogglebox. UK one is good but there's a few people on it that I just can't stand. I love that it shows the best/funniest bits from some shows, as I'd never watch them. Think Gogglebox and sport are the only things I watch on TV. Small bit of the news too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Think it's pretty poor fair to be honest. Inconsistent and constant leaps of faith that really don't seem to make any sense at all.

Does it get better?

I've watched 3 seasons now because the other half loves it but I find it fairly mediocre alright.

• Advertisement

Does it get better?

It's never the same watching a show after years of hearing how good it is, it can never live up to the hype. I was the same with Breaking Bad, started watching after it finished and never saw the fuss.

If you dislike extremely convenient coincidences and glaring gaps of logic, do not watch any more Line of Duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Miriam Gonzalez Durantez

Also something that has only really come in since the lockdown is the IFI player ( Irish Film Institute). Lots of art house and film festival films. Updated fairly regularly (weekly) with new art house films. I had only learned of another art house film site recently in Curzon Home Cinema and thought films were a tad pricy at £11.99 per newish headline flick. IFI generally has the same content at half the price €8.99 per headline flick. Worth a look!

Mubi is another kettle of fish - much cheaper but generally student made garage sale content not film festival standard art house. I believe Mubi recently did a partnership deal with Apple TV or was it Disney +?

Is Miriam having a totally different conversation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I tried Line of Duty but found it to be more a case of Normal People whereby nobody loves it but it's a communal experience to be able to watch it in the same time window as everybody else and have something to talk about.

I'm a weirdo though and there's too much great TV out there instead of investing so much time on something you don't love.

List of space movies/shows in the last decade which give good insight into space ethics:

1. Gravity (all sorts of things go wrong, displays problems which arise in space such as extreme hot/cold temps and space debris showers)
    2. Interstellar- goes into solar system travel and is far fetched in its theory of time and space but looks to the lengths we can get in near future in solar system)
    3. Ad Astra- specifically addresses space law and ethics and privatisation but also how far we can get in solar system. Shows colonisation of Moon & Mars
    4. Stowaway - saw this yesterday. Very realistic (not that I’d know) but shows thing like oxygen and CO2 science and management in space station per bodies on board. Interesting small details into space travel.
    5. Away - Netflix 8 episodes. Hillary Swank. Very good. Also about a trip to Mars. So far shows how chemicals and water can cause fires on board space station. Chain of command questions and ethics also.
    6. The Expanse- I haven’t seen but understand it addresses inter solar system politics and conflict.

Absencies for ridicule ness - The Martian.

Any other notable additions welcome.

If you are into writing random lists of movies that feature space ethics, you gotta check out your number 6

There's a video after surfacing of kids intimidating/pushing a woman on to a DART line in Malahide. Absolutely disgusting behaviour. Happened on 1 April apparently. TheJournal has picked it up, and the Garda have said an investigation has been launched.

Recently there was huge gangs of kids on bikes roaming around the city looking for trouble. It really appears as though youth crime isn't being dealt with properly, in Dublin City centre and along the DART lines especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There's a video after surfacing of kids intimidating/pushing a woman on to a DART line in Malahide. Absolutely disgusting behaviour. Happened on 1 April apparently. TheJournal has picked it up, and the Garda have said an investigation has been launched.

Recently there was huge gangs of kids on bikes roaming around the city looking for trouble. It really appears as though youth crime isn't being dealt with properly, in Dublin City centre and along the DART lines especially.

Just saw that video, blood boiling stuff. Little ****s spitting on women too as they went past. Enough sense not to do it with any men, little cowards.

https://twitter.com/kellie_tallant/status/1389243817874821120?s=24

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

They were filmed earlier that day jumping on a car in Malahide. You have to wonder wtf went on earlier in life to turn a kid into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We need transport policing. Particularly on the Luas and the Dart. Most dart stations nowadays aren't even staffed.

This has been going on for years now, gangs of kids hopping on the dart and terrorising areas near the dart stations, kilbarrack at one stage was completely destroyed and a no-go zone, with people constantly being attacked by gangs of young kids, there was shops getting trashed by similar groups in Raheny, portmarnock and malahide similarly but they've always been a target because of the gangs of them going down to the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

dregin wrote: »
    They were filmed earlier that day jumping on a car in Malahide. You have to wonder wtf went on earlier in life to turn a kid into this.
    Lot of things. Ive had a few interesting encounters with kids around stations up that side of city before/after work at times especially Malahide, Donabate

Really needs to be a better system of policing along all major transport systems.

Advertisement