Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I wouldn't mind...I'm not even taking the píss....I've BBQ'd twice in my life....that's what I used :)

You're missing out!

I've a 3 inch thick striploin ready for the bbq tomorrow. Gonna reverse sear it. Rack of ribs ready for sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

awec wrote: »
    You're missing out!

I've a 3 inch thick striploin ready for the bbq tomorrow. Gonna reverse sear it. Rack of ribs ready for sunday.

I like my steak bluer than my movies :)
    I'm odd in some ways..... BBQ's and cars never interested me

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I like my steak bluer than my movies :)
    I'm odd in some ways..... BBQ's and cars never interested me

Yea I like my steak very rare too. Get a cow, walk it through the kitchen then eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Never heard of a reverse sear. Might give it a go on Sunday myself

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cold and drizzly here since I bought my barbecue and forecast is muck for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I like my steak reasonably rare, but I don't get "bleu" steak. If you haven't broken down the fibres etc in the meat than its just chewy and unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Cold and drizzly here since I bought my barbecue and forecast is muck for the week.

Get the umbrella out and stop making excuses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Yeah good weather is a bonus, not a necessity to barbeque

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Molloyjh what Neapolitan dough recipe do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Molloyjh what Neapolitan dough recipe do you use?

Mucking around with a sourdough one at the moment using Stagioni flour. 63% hydration, 8 hr room temp, 40 hr cold ferment. The dough is a dream to work with but might need to tweak my leaven a bit to get the right rise and flavour. I'm using all rye flour but should probably mix it with some white.

Dough is a rabbit hole and a half though. Part of me thinks I should just stick to a basic yeast recipe and just not mess with it, but I'm a glutton for punishment...

EDIT: My wife is gluten intolerant so it's a double rabbit hole as I try to master my own standard 00 flour dough and a spelt one for her. There have been many failures!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

Had to read that three times to feel that you were serious molloy...
    Kinda puts the whole pear sandwich debacle to shame I think.

Thomond are you willing to match this?

kuang1 wrote: »

Its pizza. I'm serious. Very serious.

Andy Lee just coached Joseph Parker to a split decision victory over Derek Chisora.

Kiwis, that's us even for Schmidt.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Mucking around with a sourdough one at the moment using Stagioni flour. 63% hydration, 8 hr room temp, 40 hr cold ferment. The dough is a dream to work with but might need to tweak my leaven a bit to get the right rise and flavour. I'm using all rye flour but should probably mix it with some white.

Dough is a rabbit hole and a half though. Part of me thinks I should just stick to a basic yeast recipe and just not mess with it, but I'm a glutton for punishment...

EDIT: My wife is gluten intolerant so it's a double rabbit hole as I try to master my own standard 00 flour dough and a spelt one for her. There have been many failures!
    kuang1 wrote: »

lol, I was about to reply, asking for more details.

All rye for the levain, dough or both?

What ratio of levain to flour?

Spike it with any instant yeast?

Salt %

FWIW, I've used this a few times and it works really well, however not quite the lightness and rise of a classic neapolitana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3GcHQoxrYA

lol, I was about to reply, asking for more details.

All rye for the levain, dough or both?

What ratio of levain to flour?

Spike it with any instant yeast?

Salt %

All rye levain, 00 flour for the dough, 19% levain, no extra yeast, 3% salt.

Tbh I just use the Pizza App to get the amounts of each. Its the best way to account for temp variations as well as allow different fermentation times. I prefer 40 hour cold prove, but I'm not always prepared enough to have it ready that far in advance.

For anyone who think this sounds crazy, it's really just baking. Hydration, yeast/sourdough and fermentation are all fundamentals to making things like bread or pizza dough etc. Generally pizza dough is flour, yeast, water and salt. The yeast will vary depending on the temperature it will be fermenting at and how long you plan to ferment. The longer the better (up to a point) to allow flavour to develop. The higher the hydration the lighter the dough but the the harder it is to work with when kneading. The only reason I'd use sourdough starter over yeast is that you need more starter. If you're only making a few pizzas you need a fraction of a gram of yeast, which is a pain in the hole to measure accurately. The starter can help the flavour and digestibility, but I'm not so bothered by that tbh.

All rye levain, 00 flour for the dough, 19% levain, no extra yeast, 3% salt.

Tbh I just use the Pizza App to get the amounts of each. Its the best way to account for temp variations as well as allow different fermentation times. I prefer 40 hour cold prove, but I'm not always prepared enough to have it ready that far in advance.

For anyone who think this sounds crazy, it's really just baking. Hydration, yeast/sourdough and fermentation are all fundamentals to making things like bread or pizza dough etc. Generally pizza dough is flour, yeast, water and salt. The yeast will vary depending on the temperature it will be fermenting at and how long you plan to ferment. The longer the better (up to a point) to allow flavour to develop. The higher the hydration the lighter the dough but the the harder it is to work with when kneading. The only reason I'd use sourdough starter over yeast is that you need more starter. If you're only making a few pizzas you need a fraction of a gram of yeast, which is a pain in the hole to measure accurately. The starter can help the flavour and digestibility, but I'm not so bothered by that tbh.

Forgot the screenshot of the Pizza App....

552038.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Will you just go eat some bacon and cabbage. FFS.

Celtic got absolutely spanked today....
    United v Liverpool probably won't happen today with the ground invasion.... today ain't boring anyways!

Great info Molloyjh, thanks

• Advertisement

Celtic got absolutely spanked today....
    United v Liverpool probably won't happen today with the ground invasion.... today ain't boring anyways!

The website seems to be down, can someone please check if the Brits are at it again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The website seems to be down, can someone please check if the Brits are at it again?

Never not at it 😉

So, how about that Line of Duty ending eh......

• Subscribers Posts: 41,264 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Worst. Ending. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not the ending I was expecting
    There has to be another series. There are too many unanswered questions about the Chief Constable. I can't be the only one who was expecting some massive twist in the last 10 minutes!!

I've only ever seen snippets of Line of Duty, it looks absolute muck...
    don't get in the car....moron gets in the car kinda program....
    Can't understand why the English cream themselves over it at all tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

If someone was on here saying they had only seen snippets of a rugby game, would you think they’d be in a good position to have an informed opinion on it? ;)

aloooof wrote: »
    If someone was on here saying they had only seen snippets of a rugby game, would you think they’d be in a good position to have an informed opinion on it? ;)

One does not have to eat a whole egg to know it is bad...a single bite will do ...
    I'm paraphrasing... but it's something that just doesn't interest me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

One does not have to eat a whole egg to know it is bad...a single bite will do ...
    I'm paraphrasing... but it's something that just doesn't interest me

It’s not the best show in the world, but I’ve definiately found it very watchable. Except for a wobble in season 4 where it got a bit silly. Better than the usual shows of its ilk, tho.

Each to their own, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Why do you bring "the English" into it? Plenty of people like it. Nationality has nothing to do with it. Two of the three lead actors are Scottish and Northern Irish. In fact there are loads of non English actors in it...oh and it's filmed in Belfast.

Advertisement