Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I had a Deluxe Irish Beef Brisket Pie last night with some broccoli on the side and it was really tasty. For €2.99 it was a bargain and a tasty dinner. This is the sleeve off it, 25-35 mins in the oven. Handy for a no-cook day.

551515.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

miamee wrote: »
    I had a Deluxe Irish Beef Brisket Pie last night with some broccoli on the side and it was really tasty. For €2.99 it was a bargain and a tasty dinner. This is the sleeve off it, 25-35 mins in the oven. Handy for a no-cook day.

551515.jpg

+1 highly recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

yea my OH really likes this one too, says one of the best easy cook dinners out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I like it as well but it is a bit heavy in warm weather. It is tasty though, packed with meat which is unusual for meals like that. That's why it won the Taste awards on RTE. Really nice pie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

miamee wrote: »

551515.jpg

This looks great, was it Aldi (or Lidl) that used to cover this in mustard mash?

• Advertisement

That's the one with the mustard mash, there is only one of them from the Taste awards unless Aldi have a rip off version.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

That's the one with the mustard mash, there is only one of them from the Taste awards unless Aldi have a rip off version.

I don’t see mustard mash mentioned on the packet, just “creamy mash”???

vicwatson wrote: »
    I don’t see mustard mash mentioned on the packet, just “creamy mash”???

It says it on the back I think unless they changed the recipe which would be unlikely. There is only a hint of mustard from it anyway. Here are the details:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/and-the-taste-of-success-winner-is-1.2904221

It says it on the back I think unless they changed the recipe which would be unlikely. There is only a hint of mustard from it anyway. Here are the details:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/and-the-taste-of-success-winner-is-1.2904221

The paddy pie was the original version of it; which came out of that competition, but i think they made a couple of changes to it since. May be supplier forced or something. I do remember noticing it had changed a couple of years ago.

Baggly wrote: »
    The paddy pie was the original version of it; which came out of that competition, but i think they made a couple of changes to it since. May be supplier forced or something. I do remember noticing it had changed a couple of years ago.

Fair enough. I do remember it having the mustard in it which was nice. I haven't bought one in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Fair enough. I do remember it having the mustard in it which was nice. I haven't bought one in a while.
    I got those a few times back when they were new in the shops after the maker had won the competition.

They were gorgeous, but varied fairly widely in taste - the last one I got, the mash was incredibly salty/mustardy, to the point of being practically inedible, and I was put right off, and forgot about them ever since.

Must try one again!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm not a fan of mustard so if there was any in the one I had, it was in a very small amount, I didn't notice it.

ETA: I checked the pack ingredients, the mash is 1% wholegrain mustard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Any sign of the Beer battered onion rings recently?

I saw them in rathfarnham on Sunday evening anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I see the boxes of pulled pork and lamb things.

I wasn't a big fan of Aldi versions.
    But I'm thinking I might pimp them up a little as a basis of a stew or something?

Anyone tried them?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭AhhHere

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I see the boxes of pulled pork and lamb things.

I wasn't a big fan of Aldi versions.
    But I'm thinking I might pimp them up a little as a basis of a stew or something?

Anyone tried them?

I got the pork and made some tacos with it. Didnt bother with the bbq sauce that came with it. Though it was nice and would get again. Pulled pork is a cheap cut of meat so you get what you pay for but it's on par with pulled pork I've eaten out and about.

prodsc wrote:
    Any sign of the Beer battered onion rings recently?

Latest flyer has them coming back in and top of the bbq page says Thurs 6th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

N’Duja paste, Piri Piri sauce and chilli bratwurst. A great trip to Lidl this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Just tried the cien coconut and lychee shampoo it's amazing. 89c a bottle. Also the cien roll on is good. 50ml for one euro. I usually get the pink one but tried the mineral one (green package) and it actually smells like the original DKNY perfume!

Also recommend the Lidl deluxe fat free Greek yoghurt with a layer of strawberry compote. Divine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

N’Duja paste, Piri Piri sauce and chilli bratwurst. A great trip to Lidl this morning.

What section was the bratwurst in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

What section was the bratwurst in?

Usually with the sausages in my Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Got the ‘Nduja paste myself yesterday, really looking forward to trying it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Comerman

McDonnells mature cheese and red onion crisps are fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,898 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Antares35 wrote: »
    Also the cien roll on is good. 50ml for one euro. I usually get the pink one but tried the mineral one (green package) and it actually smells like the original DKNY perfume!

Took me three reads of this to realise you weren't talking about toilet roll. I actually went to check if there was a weight on the stuff I'm currently using.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Took me three reads of this to realise you weren't talking about toilet roll. I actually went to check if there was a weight on the stuff I'm currently using.

Haha oh god sorry :D I actually did edit to include deodorant but must have clicked out of the page. It's far from DKNY loo roll I was raised :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You have to love the Waste Not/30% off section. I got a fillet steak for €2 yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You have to love the Waste Not/30% off section. I got a fillet steak for €2 yesterday!

Love this section - whole free range chickens for €2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I find it's always best to go in after 6.30 to get the best deals on the orange sticker products. Got myself some cracking deals recently, my chest freezer is full of meat I've gotten on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

The mini sweet chilli rice crackers are dangerously good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Patsy167 wrote: »
    The mini sweet chilli rice crackers are dangerously good.
    The Jacobs rip-offs?

I'm completely addicted to those (the salted ones dipped in sweet chilli sauce are even better IMO!) - have to ration my purchasing severely.

Advertisement