Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

you will be wasting your time. the contract is in place when amazon ship the order.

I can tell you , this bundle of rights you mention and you are correct , must be the most useless ineffective regulations in the world - I had cause to use them years ago - what a complete waste of time they were at that time -hope things have improved in that regard anyway - best of luck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

JCJCJC wrote: »
    It’s well settled law that an enforceable contract is formed when the consideration passes. This applies whether the contract came into existence on the basis of offer and acceptance, or notice to treat and acceptance. In either scenario, the moment the consideration passes, the contract comes into existence. If Amazon try to vary that, there’s the unfairness that the OP would ask the small claims court to uphold.

Correct in a physical sense, but not online.

It is very well understood that the contract for an online purchase is when the item is delivered.

It is stated very clearly in the terms and conditions of all websites and if you decide not to read them, such excuse would be laughed out of a court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

Darc19 wrote: »
    Correct in a physical sense, but not online.

It is very well understood that the contract for an online purchase is when the item is delivered.

It is stated very clearly in the terms and conditions of all websites and if you decide not to read them, such excuse would be laughed out of a court.

This sounds like very lopsided legislation that allows taking of funds without the provision of goods and services.

I’d understand this if the law also stipulated that payment cannot be taken prior to the establishment of a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Panrich wrote: »
    This sounds like very lopsided legislation that allows taking of funds without the provision of goods and services.

I’d understand this if the law also stipulated that payment cannot be taken prior to the establishment of a contract.

But they don't actually take the funds. They in effect put a hold on the funds in your bank account and release that hold if they can't deliver. You can't use the money in the meantime but it doesn't mean its in the sellers bank account.

Wake me up when it's all over.

It's in the standard terms and conditions of almost all websites.
    If you disagree, buy elsewhere.

The balance is that if you purchase online you have a legal right to return for full refund of most goods

You don't have that in physical transactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

But they don't actually take the funds. They in effect put a hold on the funds in your bank account and release that hold if they can't deliver. You can't use the money in the meantime but it doesn't mean its in the sellers bank account.

Which deprives the owner of those funds access to them.

I understand the concept in a functional scenario where the goods are immediately put aside and prepared for dispatch but Amazon are clearly dysfunctional at the moment for Irish customers. Money is been held without any guarantees around provision of goods in exchange.

I suppose as long as people are willing to put up with it, nothing will change in their behaviour.

Which deprives the owner of those funds access to them.

I understand the concept in a functional scenario where the goods are immediately put aside and prepared for dispatch but Amazon are clearly dysfunctional at the moment for Irish customers. Money is been held without any guarantees around provision of goods in exchange.

I suppose as long as people are willing to put up with it, nothing will change in their behaviour.

Wrong.
    In Amazon's case they have permission from you to take the funds but they do not have a hold on the money.

If you do not have funds on your card when they are about to dispatch, the transaction is stopped and they will give you an opportunity to change card or try again.

Wrong.
    In Amazon's case they have permission from you to take the funds but they do not have a hold on the money.

If you do not have funds on your card when they are about to dispatch, the transaction is stopped and they will give you an opportunity to change card or try again.

Depends with Amazon, if its a CC they debit when dispatched if is a Debit Card they normally take the money straight away. I use both to pay for Amazon stuff and can see thats how it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭EarWig

Ordered yesterday. Delivery date May 10th. Free delivery chosen.

Dispatched this morning, arriving May 3rd.

Doesn't suit so got onto chat and changed delivery date to May 7th earliest.

Does anyone have any experience about whether the new date is respected?

They don't go on the estimated dates at all. If you are around Dublin you might get the delivery on tomorrow (3rd). Even if you speak to them they can't slow it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

EarWig wrote: »

Is it being delivered by Anpost or Amazon courier? If it's AnPost you'll be able to change the delivery date if you get the text, not sure about Amazon couriers.

gerard2210 wrote: »
    Is it being delivered by Anpost or Amazon courier? If it's AnPost you'll be able to change the delivery date if you get the text, not sure about Amazon couriers.

Never had a txt from AnPost how do you set that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'm assuming it's whatever system/account the retailer has with An Post. The last few I've gotten have been from an ink place that says they send out over 1000 orders per day and a big candle place. Both are also listed here "https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Click-and-Post/Returns" so maybe an An Post "Retail Partner". I used to get them for Amazon deliveries before AZ Logs started.

They just say "Item CE1234567890IE is due for delivery in up to 2 working days. Alternative delivery options here *Link with a passnumber on it* and that brings you through to the options like change the day, different address, anpost lockers etc. On the last one I went into it when the tracking was showing out for delivery and it showed a not quite Amazon level real-time tracking but maybe every 15 minutes updating the anpost vans location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

Seems to me that they’re not going to setup Amazon shopping services tailored for the Irish market. My guess is they’ve seen sales rise significantly due to the lockdown which is driving them to assume they can just continue as-is.

Once bricks and mortar retail reopens, I think I’ll be using Amazon a lot less, as the hassle with delivery charges from .de or .fr or and customs and availability issues from .co.uk aren’t acceptable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Amazon offering new economy delivery to Ireland
    Priority £7.49
    Standard £6.00
    Economy £5.25

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

zell12 wrote: »
    Amazon offering new economy delivery to Ireland
    Priority £7.49
    Standard £6.00
    Economy £5.25

Is delivery not free when you spend £25 or on everything with Prime or is that only when fulfilled by Amazon and the above is for third party sellers stuff?

gerard2210 wrote: »
    By Amazon. Chat asked for a new date, so they think it works. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have rearranged deliveries in the past when the initial date didn't suit and they were delivered on the rearranged date.

Seems to me that they’re not going to setup Amazon shopping services tailored for the Irish market. My guess is they’ve seen sales rise significantly due to the lockdown which is driving them to assume they can just continue as-is.

So the massive 650,000 sq ft fulfillment warehouse they have just commenced building in Greenogue is just for a bit of fun? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

So the massive 650,000 sq ft fulfillment warehouse they have just commenced building in Greenogue is just for a bit of fun? :D

Well, if it just continues to operate as a version of .co.uk it will be fairly substandard.

• Advertisement

By Amazon. Chat asked for a new date, so they think it works. We shall see.
    Well just delivered to my porch.

What a shi*t company.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Well, if it just continues to operate as a version of .co.uk it will be fairly substandard.

I think you find once that opens we'll still be using the Co.uk site but more items will be avaliable here (like in the pre brexit days) as they'll be picked and shipped from here.

Personally prefer to pay GBP prices and let the likes of revolut do the conversion instead of taking Amazons FX rates. We get ripped off by most UK retailers who sell here in the FX conversion.

I think you find once that opens we'll still be using the Co.uk site but more items will be avaliable here (like in the pre brexit days) as they'll be picked and shipped from here.

Personally prefer to pay GBP prices and let the likes of revolut do the conversion instead of taking Amazons FX rates. We get ripped off by most UK retailers who sell here in the FX conversion.
    At 650,000 sq ft (think of 20 large Tescos or 60+ Lidl stores) you can expect most "sold by Amazon" goods and then a huge range of items sold by local Irish sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

At 650,000 sq ft (think of 20 large Tescos or 60+ Lidl stores) you can expect most "sold by Amazon" goods and then a huge range of items sold by local Irish sellers.

When is this supposed to be operational?

When is this supposed to be operational?

Q2 next year. So about this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Does this look right?

Item is priced €24.02 - shipping is free but they included it, then added tax and then removed it.
    So I would have thought tax or import fees should be zero, as they are below negligible amount with free shipping.

552341.png

^^^^

Is that Amazon Prime or just free delivery over £25?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They still have to account for shipping.No such thing as free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

sugarman wrote: »
    Im going to guess its Amazons new promo for new accounts, free shipping on first order.

They added £6 shipping and removed it as a promo, not the taxes.

The threshold for VAT free items is €22, not €24, hence you're being charged import fees.
    Sorry, yes, I should have worded it better. They added €6 shipping. Then added tax on the overall price. Then removed then €6.
    So the overall price is €24.02 delivered (it states free shipping, whether or not it is included on the price of the item, I don't know.)
    But there should be no vat collected on €24.02 as it says here:
    Where the VAT liability on any consignment amounts to less than or equal to €6 it should not be collected
    If the shipping wasn't added before the VAT then the VAT amount would be negligible.
    The overall price is €24.02, that is the amount I pay, so surely I shouldn't have to pay VAT?
    I was just curious more than anything, as I haven't ordered from amazonuk since Brexit.
    But it looks incorrect to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Suckit wrote: »
    Sorry, yes, I should have worded it better. They added €6 shipping. Then added tax on the overall price. Then removed then €6.
    So the overall price is €24.02 delivered (it states free shipping, whether or not it is included on the price of the item, I don't know.)
    But there should be no vat collected on €24.02 as it says here:

If the shipping wasn't added before the VAT then the VAT amount would be negligible.
    The overall price is €24.02, that is the amount I pay, so surely I shouldn't have to pay VAT?
    I was just curious more than anything, as I haven't ordered from amazonuk since Brexit.
    But it looks incorrect to me.

the vatable total includes the shipping. they gave you a discount of €6 but it is the actual value that is relevant.

Advertisement