Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Yep they are finding ways to spend their allocation so it's not cut for the following year. They spent about 4 months renewing about 250 mtrs of perfectly good footpaths in my area, I swear the Great Wall of China would have been built quicker.

The LPT was increased this year as well. They must be awash with cash, looking for something to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭bullpost

Anyone know where we'll go for Covid vaccines? Is it the Aviva?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Larbre34 wrote: »
    a great Irish nationalist patriot...

Good for you with your patriotic politics, but don't impose them on me.

bullpost wrote: »

Know somebody in the 65 - 69 group. She went to the Aviva last week for hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Not everyone in Dún Laoghaire has to go to the Aviva to get the Covid vaccine.

My local GP in Blackrock is administering them to the 65-69 age group. If you're asking which one; it would be the Carysfort Clinic in Proby Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

bullpost wrote: »

I live in Stillorgan and mine was Aviva so I assume yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not everyone in Dún Laoghaire has to go to the Aviva to get the Covid vaccine.

+1 some of them are being called to Citywest.
    My local GP in Blackrock is administering them to the 65-69 age group. If you're asking which one; it would be the Carysfort Clinic in Proby Square.

How many people are you aware of? Because GPs are not getting supplies to vaccinate the general population under 70. People aged 60-69 are currently being asked to register on http://vaccine.hse.ie and wait to be called (via SMS) to a mass vaccination centre. Which, for DL is going to be the Aviva or Citywest.

GPs are being bypassed even for some over 70s. A family member (70) down the country was told by her GP that they would be calling her soon but then she got called to a HSE centre in her town.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Any over 70s I know in the Dun Laoghaire area (relatives and their acquaintances), some still awaiting Jab 2, have all been done at their GPs

Another relative, aged 64, is scheduled for her first Jab next week in the Aviva Stadium.

For anyone younger than 60, it is most likely you will be done at a designated Pharmacy locally, simply because there are more people in each cohort the younger the cohort is and the intention is that as supplies rise to meet the targetted 450,000 per week, thats when the Pharmacys will be activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Any over 70s I know in the Dun Laoghaire area (relatives and their acquaintances), some still awaiting Jab 2, have all been done at their GPs

Another relative, aged 64, is scheduled for her first Jab next week in the Aviva Stadium.

For anyone younger than 60, it is most likely you will be done at a designated Pharmacy locally, simply because there are more people in each cohort the younger the cohort is and the intention is that as supplies rise to meet the targetted 450,000 per week, thats when the Pharmacys will be activated.

I was due in the Aviva yesterday (I'm 66) but got a call from my GP last Saturday evening offering me a jab as they had a couple of no shows, I gladly accepted, got the Pfizer jab. Rang the HSE number to cancel the Wednesday appt for myself and the wife who also got the jab from the GP. 2 days later we get a text from the HSE rearranging our Aviva jabs. There is no option to cancel an appt on the HSE portal and it seems that ringing them has no affect.

https://twitter.com/Lettiemccarthy/status/1388070618512379905

Soon to be installed at the redeveloped Baths site. It looks Soviet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Not a bad thing. The Soviets had a very striking art style.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Looks good. How long before someone sticks a dry-robe on him though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

https://twitter.com/Lettiemccarthy/status/1388070618512379905

Soon to be installed at the redeveloped Baths site. It looks Soviet.

So presumably RBB will give it his blessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Looks good. How long before someone sticks a dry-robe on him though. :pac:
    :D:D

fixXxer wrote: »
    The Soviets had a very striking art style.

Indeed they did...
    josip wrote: »
    So presumably RBB will give it his blessing?

That was never in doubt. Left wing twitter is salivating over it.

Very nice job.

Permission granted by ABP for a 13 story apartment block overlooking the harbour, despite DLRCC objections.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/noel-smyth-gets-go-ahead-for-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-apartments-despite-objections-1.4552532

Impressive old school statue.

Mav11 wrote: »
    Permission granted by ABP for a 13 story apartment block overlooking the harbour, despite DLRCC objections.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/noel-smyth-gets-go-ahead-for-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-apartments-despite-objections-1.4552532

I don’t think I object to the height, but why are designs of towers in Ireland always so bland?

0016b616-1600.jpg

Am I mistaken that the article doesn’t once mention the specific location of the tower?? Bizarre omission, if true.

"plan for the rear car park of St Michael’s Hospital on Crofton Road."

• Advertisement

I don’t think I object to the height, but why are designs of towers in Ireland always so bland?

0016b616-1600.jpg

I would generally agree with you on the blandness of Irish high rises, but that is not the worst that I have seen.

I would generally agree with you on the blandness of Irish high rises, but that is not the worst that I have seen.

Obviously it’s not Liberty Hall bad. But I would think that if it doesn’t look particularly well in a saturated image, when it’s completely new, it won’t look well on a grey Irish day, 10/20/... years hence. That scaffold design is also now very much off-the-shelf.

I’m very glad that the Carlisle Pier wasn’t developed. But at least the projections made me bite my lip and think, Maybe it would actually be quite a nice addition.

I don't think it's too bad a design, but if the Council engaged with the national building height guidance instead of sticking its head in the sand about it, perhaps it could facilitate more beautiful landmark designs instead of developer led planning.

Overall, increasing numbers living in the heart of the town is excellent news as it will become the new lifeblood for small business offering consumables and personal services. I'd love to see another 3 to 5,000 living in old Dun Laoghaire over the next decade, I really think the town is on the verge of a renaissance.

I don't think it's too bad a design, but if the Council engaged with the national building height guidance instead of sticking its head in the sand about it, perhaps it could facilitate more beautiful landmark designs instead of developer led planning.

Overall, increasing numbers living in the heart of the town is excellent news as it will become the new lifeblood for small business offering consumables and personal services. I'd love to see another 3 to 5,000 living in old Dun Laoghaire over the next decade, I really think the town is on the verge of a renaissance.

I certainly agree that time and hostility expended on building heights would be much better spent critiquing their design. (And I think it’s symptomatic of a philistine culture.)

I’m excited by your optimism. I’ve always thought the criticism Dun Laoghaire gets is excessive, and increasing the population can only lead to improvement. But my thinking is that the town’s economy will remain deflated unless offices are included in the retail-residential mix. It’s just too big a town to sustain itself otherwise.

You're not wrong. But, we must be realistic about the step change in working patterns that will remain after this pandemic.

Someone close to me is with AIB, in a back of house function and they have been told that they will be facilitated in working from home on a 60/40 basis, once hot desking is possible again. I have every reason to imagine this will be replicated in a huge number of larger organisations where the critical mass exists to enable it.

I've said on here many times before that I consider one of the greatest disasters to befall Dun Laoghaire was the demise of 4 schools and 1 college within a few minutes walk of the town centre, over the period of about 15 years. The loss of footfall and casual trade was consequently massive. But the good news is, the arrival of an Educate Together school to the old Fire Station site and strong moves being made to build a Graduate School of the IADT in the town centre will be game changers to creating a live/work/leisure community for locals and thats without even mentioning the massive HSE primary care clinic and offices due to go into the old Shopping Centre.

Its a simplistic mantra, but one I've always subscribed to as a planner and designer - build it and they will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Until they demolish the hideous Bord Iascaigh Mhara block, anything else built along that stretch of the seafront has a very low bar to match or better to meet the local architectural standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

"plan for the rear car park of St Michael’s Hospital on Crofton Road."

That is such a waste of space, this is a good devt if they are all sold inductance and not as a full package to some fund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I'm not sure I have an opinion on this yet. It is going to look out of place in Dun Laoghaire in terms of the skyline, if that is a consideration, but the beds are certainly needed.

It makes me wonder why developments this tall (and taller) can't be built en masse in Dublin City along the river. Putting in a number of 15-20-storey developments would be consistent with the buildings already on the quays and would be totally suited to a city centre.

Could only improve the city centre the way things have been going lately tbh.

You're not wrong. But, we must be realistic about the step change in working patterns that will remain after this pandemic.

Someone close to me is with AIB, in a back of house function and they have been told that they will be facilitated in working from home on a 60/40 basis, once hot desking is possible again. I have every reason to imagine this will be replicated in a huge number of larger organisations where the critical mass exists to enable it.

I've said on here many times before that I consider one of the greatest disasters to befall Dun Laoghaire was the demise of 4 schools and 1 college within a few minutes walk of the town centre, over the period of about 15 years. The loss of footfall and casual trade was consequently massive. But the good news is, the arrival of an Educate Together school to the old Fire Station site and strong moves being made to build a Graduate School of the IADT in the town centre will be game changers to creating a live/work/leisure community for locals and thats without even mentioning the massive HSE primary care clinic and offices due to go into the old Shopping Centre.

Its a simplistic mantra, but one I've always subscribed to as a planner and designer - build it and they will come.

My instinct is that working practices will largely revert, but maybe you’re right. That could certainly improve the character during the day. I think, as well, that there is a lot of latent demand in the DL area - Glasthule and Monkstown/Blackrock divert foodie shoppers, and Dundrum ofc diverts high street shoppers. If a critical mass in each could be reached, there is demand there to sustain it. As well, it’s hard to believe that Dun Laoghaire has, in the East Pier, one of Ireland’s busiest attractions, yet the town seems hardly to benefit.
    JayRoc wrote: »
    I'm not sure I have an opinion on this yet. It is going to look out of place in Dun Laoghaire in terms of the skyline, if that is a consideration, but the beds are certainly needed.

It makes me wonder why developments this tall (and taller) can't be built en masse in Dublin City along the river. Putting in a number of 15-20-storey developments would be consistent with the buildings already on the quays and would be totally suited to a city centre.

Could only improve the city centre the way things have been going lately tbh.

I’m not sure that it will look out of place. Looking south from the piers, going east to west, there’s the library, Royal Marine, Pavilion, City Hall, as well as the two church steeples and Marine Road which rises up steeply. That seems a varied enough skyline for the tower to fit into.

Unless they move the port, the docklands are almost entirely developed. I suspect if they knew then what they do now, they would have allowed much taller development in that area. As it is, some of the only remaining viable places for such scale are the Jonny Ronan tower site by the Convention Centre and the Irish Rail site at Heuston.

• Advertisement

I’m not sure that it will look out of place. Looking south from the piers, going east to west, there’s the library, Royal Marine, Pavilion, City Hall, as well as the two church steeples and Marine Road which rises up steeply. That seems a varied enough skyline for the tower to fit into.

Completely agree. The terrain rises up considerably behind Crofton Road, all the way to the Mountains really, so from the Harbour perspective this building on the skyline really won't jar.

Literally the only negative is if you live in the western block of the adjacent Harbour Square development and have enjoyed a nice view over the bay up till now. But as is always said, you aren't entitled to a view.

Advertisement