Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch recommendations up to €2k

Options
  • 29-04-2021 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I currently have a Seiko kinetic as a daily, I was thinking of treating myself to a timepiece up to 2 grand. Anyone have any recommendations?

Tia
    Omt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Original Brosnan James Bond Seamaster Automatic

omega_tomorrow-jpg.13508249

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Fitz II wrote: »

omega_tomorrow-jpg.13508249

That is actually beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jacob13

That's good to hear, you'll pick up some nice stuff for that price range. Tudor 1926, Tudor north flag or black bay. The latter 2 are a small bit over 2k but very good quality, rolex company. I've a longines hydro conquest and a north flag. I love them, the longines was only 450€. Lucky you and enjoy your purchase 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

That is actually beautiful

You’re looking at second hand and probably quartz though but if you’re not in a rush you might find an auto in and around your budget

Homer wrote: »
    You’re looking at second hand and probably quartz though but if you’re not in a rush you might find an auto in and around your budget

Could push a little higher if needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

Could push a little higher if needed

You are gonna fit in here .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

There is no way I'd buy a new watch though. Let someone else take the depreciation. 2nd hand tudor pelagos, I know that's out of your budget but id save a bit more and get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Fitz II wrote: »

Would 2g's get you one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭davmigil

www.sinn.de have some nice watches in that price range.
    U50 856utc and many others

fat bloke wrote: »
    Would 2g's get you one of those?

Might on a private sale. I got one a year back for 1600.
    emo72 wrote: »
    There is no way I'd buy a new watch though. Let someone else take the depreciation. 2nd hand tudor pelagos, I know that's out of your budget but id save a bit more and get that.

Pelagos is a very specific watch, pretty thick, titanium is very light Defo not a first good watch for me. Good watch but one to get once you know what you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

2k is kind of a sticky in-between amount. There is tonnes of stuff you can get in the upper end of affordable to very bottom of entry luxury. At 3k you really open up options to more luxury pieces used.

Seamaster wise you'd definitely only be looking at quartz at under 2k unless you will accept a really banged up one. I've come to the conclusion that seamaster owners are the most abusive watch wearers known to man. There's some load of them in absolute bits floating around the place.

Presuming that you want a sports watch check out longines hydroconquest, Tag Heur Aquaracer, Oris Aquis - all can be got new within budget and are cool watches. Something left field from a micro brand is a formex reef. Looks to have a fantastic level of finishing and is COSC certified. For dress watches, Nomos are fantastic value and have great in house movements.

All the above are very good options within budget but as I say if you go up towards 3k you'd be within Omega, Tudor, Breitling territory depending on what you go for.

redlead wrote: »
    2k is kind of a sticky in-between amount. There is tonnes of stuff you can get in the upper end of affordable to very bottom of entry luxury. At 3k you really open up options to more luxury pieces used.

Seamaster wise you'd definitely only be looking at quartz at under 2k unless you will accept a really banged up one. I've come to the conclusion that seamaster owners are the most abusive watch wearers known to man. There's some load of them in absolute bits floating around the place.

Presuming that you want a sports watch check out longines hydroconquest, Tag Heur Aquaracer, Oris Aquis - all can be got new within budget and are cool watches. Something left field from a micro brand is a formex reef. Looks to have a fantastic level of finishing and is COSC certified. For dress watches, Nomos are fantastic value and have great in house movements.

All the above are very good options within budget but as I say if you go up towards 3k you'd be within Omega, Tudor, Breitling territory depending on what you go for.

I could do 3k if the watch caught my eye. My only problem with budget is that I couldn't be comfortable with a hugely expensive watch on eg. Fear of losing it, getting mugged etc

I could do 3k if the watch caught my eye. My only problem with budget is that I couldn't be comfortable with a hugely expensive watch on eg. Fear of losing it, getting mugged etc

For 3k there is the Tudor Balck Bay 58.

tudor-58-2.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fm=jpg&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&ch=Width%2CDPR%2CSave-Data&fit=crop&w=700

Here is a seamaster chrono for 2600 (I would say 2300 would get it)
    https://www.adverts.ie/sports/omega-seamaster-chronograph/23595992

Automatic here need a bezel (80 euro)
    https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omega-seamaster-300-vintage-james-bond--id17876567.htm

Another auto here €2300
    https://www.chrono24.com/omega/seamaster-diver-300-m-automatic--id19257917.htm

Dont worry about wearing an expensive watch live your life as you like and not in fear of bad things happening. Stick it on the house insurance and you are away in a hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Is it a one watch purchase for the long term or do you see yourself wanting to upgrade again in the future?

C0N0R wrote: »
    Is it a one watch purchase for the long term or do you see yourself wanting to upgrade again in the future?

Probably for the long term!

I never sold a watch I didnt by for the long term

57pkzp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Well there's a 36mm Seamaster on adverts for less than 2k right now... (gold/steel rather than Bond's seamaster) - I know it's less than 2k since I'm the one that's selling it :P

https://touch.adverts.ie/sports/omega-seamaster-300m-mid-size-2352-80-00-18k-gold-and-stainless-steel-watch/22786725

So yes - I think in general once you go 2nd hand you'll get automatic Seamasters for less than 2k at private sales.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Well there's a 36mm Seamaster on adverts for less than 2k right now... (gold/steel rather than Bond's seamaster) - I know it's less than 2k since I'm the one that's selling it :P

https://touch.adverts.ie/sports/omega-seamaster-300m-mid-size-2352-80-00-18k-gold-and-stainless-steel-watch/22786725

So yes - I think in general once you go 2nd hand you'll get automatic Seamasters for less than 2k at private sales.

Nice watch! Gold wouldn't be for me though, good luck with the sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Nice watch! Gold wouldn't be for me though, good luck with the sale

Do you have a bit more to narrow things down?

New versus vintage, sports or tool, dress or casual?

Mainstream, classic, offbeat?

Are you interested in movements, technologies etc?

Any particular brand loyalty, leaning or preference?

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Do you have a bit more to narrow things down?

New versus vintage, sports or tool, dress or casual?

Mainstream, classic, offbeat?

Are you interested in movements, technologies etc?

Any particular brand loyalty, leaning or preference?

Mainly leaning to an Omega having looked at others suggestions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Mainly leaning to an Omega having looked at others suggestions!

In that case, second hand is definitely the way to go.

Unless you have a specific grá for the 70s, start with the 80s. Omega bracelets from the 70s varied shockingly in quality and all will have been worn to death by now.

Also, check out some of references for independent service people and see what a full service and reseal would be and factor that into your costs. Omega is particularly good brand to go for in this respect as NOS and independent parts suppliers are numerous.

There are Seamaster 300m autos for in or around the 2k mark, such as here, and most dealers are willing to negotiate.

Tool watches are good because a bit of wear and tear is expected and adds character, as opposed to actual damage.

However, at this price range and condition combination, it is not something you'll flip in six months if you don't like it and lose nothing.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

colm18 wrote: »

Quite nice indeed!

Really leaning towards an Omega, I may even bump the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

People here have opinions on the Speedmaster (which we sure as fcuk are not getting into again) but top class and a range of styles. Have the Moonwatch Pro myself. Don't go near the reduced.

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/speedmaster--mod74.htm#gref

If you guys keep posting the beautiful watches that you do, I'm gonna completely blow my budget :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

As has been said above, a classic Seamaster 300 is a good choice, should get a nice one for around the 2k mark. Here’s mine for some weekend inspiration. Be warned that you’ll prob end up looking for your next one once you’ve found your first.

2-C02833-D-968-B-4826-8-CB5-34-E3-B52088-A4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

One thing I recommend is to look at Chrono24 and at say 2.2k to see what options are available - you can filter depending on whether you like diver style, chronograph, any particular brands etc.

Sinn make some lovely pieces at the 2k mark too even new (German brand):
    https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/U1_TEGIMENT.htm (44mm)
    https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/U50_TEGIMENT.htm (41mm)

With tegimented steel it is particularly hard to scratch and isn't a coating that can wear off. 2nd hand it would definitely be less than 2k (and maybe if you get a tegimented version it won't have too many scratches either).

xU50_TEGIMENT.jpg.pagespeed.ic._Xg6Pp7b4W.webp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I do like a bit of SINN action I have to say.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

mailforkev wrote: »
    As has been said above, a classic Seamaster 300 is a good choice, should get a nice one for around the 2k mark. Here’s mine for some weekend inspiration. Be warned that you’ll prob end up looking for your next one once you’ve found your first.

2-C02833-D-968-B-4826-8-CB5-34-E3-B52088-A4.jpg

That is actually beautiful, really swaying towards one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Under budget(spend the difference on another watch)

https://www.stowa.de/en/Prodiver+Titanium+black.htm

Advertisement