Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch recommendations up to €2k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Still it’s the best looking one posted here so far and approx €2625 incl VAT by my calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Oh and didn't read carefully first time round (as I just scanned the pics and the price) but that Omega is from a WUS forum sponsor, with warranty and 50% goes to a charity - seems like a great deal if that all checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

893bet wrote: »
    Have a look on done deal for the number of 400 euro Rolex complete with box and papers. They are easy bit to fake.

You want to be be pretty naïve to think you can get a genuine rolex for anything close to that though right? add a zero i'd say.....there are some VERY good reps out there from what i've heard if you know where to get them and without doing your homework i think someone could get caught out quite easily......I'd say there'd be people who didn't know there was a market beyond the cliched lad on the beach selling really $hite fakes and wouldn't think you'd get reps that were that close to the original....maybe it is more widely known these days but i was surprised when I heard about it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭893bet

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    You want to be be pretty naïve to think you can get a genuine rolex for anything close to that though right? add a zero i'd say.....there are some VERY good reps out there from what i've heard if you know where to get them and without doing your homework i think someone could get caught out quite easily......I'd say there'd be people who didn't know there was a market beyond the cliched lad on the beach selling really $hite fakes and wouldn't think you'd get reps that were that close to the original....maybe it is more widely known these days but i was surprised when I heard about it.....

That’s my point. Having paperwork means nothing to an untrained eye. There are fakes being sold with convincing paper for a few hundred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

That’s my point. Having paperwork means nothing to an untrained eye. There are fakes being sold with convincing paper for a few hundred.

Get ya on the documentation thing but i suppose my point would be that someone should know that you can't get a rolex for 400 quid anyway so that would be a red flag regardless of papers.....it would be the ones that are closer to the going rate that i'd be worried about....as you say, to the untrained eye there are some really good fakes out there that would be hard to tell in person never mind from a picture if you were buying on line....bit of a mine field i'd say if you don't know what you're doing....if it was me and i was buying on line i'd probably stick with the reputable dealers rather than a private seller, but then i don't know that much about watches....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭893bet

An option a little over budget.

https://www.adverts.ie/23920368

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

OP, one thing about the watches section here, if you have a budget of €2k, tell people your budget is €1k :D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

An option a little over budget.

https://www.adverts.ie/23920368

Is this someone from this parish selling this Seamaster? Its really nice :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Oh and didn't read carefully first time round (as I just scanned the pics and the price) but that Omega is from a WUS forum sponsor, with warranty and 50% goes to a charity - seems like a great deal if that all checks out.

That guy sells a lot of Omegas. I actually bought my Seamaster off him years ago and at the time he seemed to offer the best bang for buck in the second hand market. Although I wasn't living in Ireland at the time so didn't have to deal with 23% VAT or crazy import duties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Cienciano wrote: »
    OP, one thing about the watches section here, if you have a budget of €2k, tell people your budget is €1k :D

Newbie: I'm looking for my first good watch. I currently have a pulsar my parents got me for my 16th birthday many years ago but would like something a bit more quality now that I have my first proper job. I was thinking about 800 but could stretch to a 1000

Forum regular : have you heard of the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms?

Hi again all

Had a rough few months but a watch caught my eye

Omega Seamaster Diver 300 M

€2,750

Would be interested in your thoughts, I'm very tempted

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's from Chrono24 direct, so you have warranty included which is a plus. It's a model you've had your eye on for quite a while and it's a decent price given the market resilience over the last while.

That said, I'd still contact them and make offer 1st rather than go straight in at asking. Worst they can say is no.

Good luck with your negotiations

Thank banie, made a price suggestion for a bit under, accepted in ten minutes :)

Will post pics of my proud purchase when it lands

I've a kit for changing links out, it's at home though. Difficult to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Delighted OMT, well done and may you long enjoy it.

Sizing is straightforward enough, look forward to seeing it on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

Oris get little to no mention in this forum. Any opinions on the brand?

I’m looking into a big crown pro pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Oris is a reputable Swiss watch maker albeit on the mid/lower-end of the luxury watch spectrum. A lot of their watches are powered by other watchmakers movements but they have their own, too. If you google around there wont be a bad word said about them. Not a recognisable brand if thats of importance but a solid Swiss watch.

I have an Oris Chronoris. Very solid, keeps good time and is a very nice design (imo). I like it very much.

Hi guys

My Seamaster arrived today, however the crown appears stuck in place. Cannot wind it and cannot get it to the position to change the time

Any advice?

Tia

Omt

Edit: the missus released it with a pair of tweezers, expect a photo when I get the links sorted!

Just a note on the 2531.80, I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the date, it's not covered in the instructions for the movement 1120

The crown has 3 positions, 1 for winding, 2 does nothing, 3 changes the time. I went to position 3 and rotated the time 24 hours and that didn't work, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Position 2 should be the one for the date .Have you tried turning the crown anti clockwise ?

Also set the time to 6ish first

• Advertisement

Yes that works, however the included manual for a 1120 does not mention a date setting? Have I been given the wrong movement number on the authenticity card?

The 1120 definitely has a date complication

Have you the thick red omega manual ?

edit -

I do indeed, attached is the page in relation to 1120

strange there’s a difference between the two .maybe online version has been corrected.

I’ll check my physical omega book and see which copy it has

The instructions you have there are for the jewellery version of the 1120 -

you need the manual and self winding for your watch .

page 19 in my manual

Page 19 is different movement altogether in mine, 1120 is only mentioned on page 15

• Advertisement

Mine is a recent manual so that might be the issue .. but if the only mention of the 1120 in your instruction book is the Jewellery 1120 it would appear it’s the wrong book.

My understanding is the 1120 jewellery doesn’t have the date complication connected .

Advertisement