Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you ever consider moving to continental Europe? And if so where?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bunny_mac

Feria40 wrote: »
    Purely out of curiosity why Sweden?

I don't know! I've always had a thing about Sweden, maybe I was Swedish in another life. I might hate it if I lived there, but I won't know unless I try!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Sleepy wrote: »
    Just a quick google in response to the question I'm afraid!

How did you find Pamplona and the Basque region? Plenty going on? Damn im really considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Iceland would be interesting but maybe Czech republic. Heard good things about the people and social life.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Brian? wrote: »
    A friend of mine worked for this lads in den Bosch.

https://careers.epic.com/

That's a beautiful little city and it's commutable from Utrecht by train.

Thank you for the recommendation! The great thing about Utrecht is it's the heart of the Dutch rail network so half the country (including Amsterdam) is commutable from there.

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Thank you for the recommendation! The great thing about Utrecht is it's the heart of the Dutch rail network so half the country (including Amsterdam) is commutable from there.

Yeah Utrecht is also extremely expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Changed my mind; Europe be blowed; ALASKA is my craving..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bunny_mac

Lived in France for a couple of years during the Great Recession. Signed up to boards and spent most of my time listening to Irish radio and being extremely homesick. We don't appreciate this country until we've lived abroad, as perhaps most of us in this thread have.

Coming home was the best decision I ever made. Never regretted it.

I've had the exact opposite experience. I moved home in 2019 after living overseas for 13 years (two different countries) and I can't wait to leave again. But thanks to the pandemic and caring responsibilities I'm stuck here for the foreseeable. Of course there are things I love about Ireland, but the major two things I can't abide are the widespread disregarding of rules that are there to make life bearable for everyone (e.g. lockdown, speed limits, picking up your dog's **** etc.) and the inexplicable veneration of the 'cute hoor' (see: this). Oh and the horrendous health system. And Ryan Tubridy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

zweton wrote: »
    Yeah Utrecht is also extremely expensive though.

Cheaper than eindhoven or Amsterdam I'm told. A mate just bought a house in Utrecht, because it was more affordable than Eindhoven

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

bunny_mac wrote: »
    I've had the exact opposite experience. I moved home in 2019 after living overseas for 13 years (two different countries) and I can't wait to leave again. But thanks to the pandemic and caring responsibilities I'm stuck here for the foreseeable. Of course there are things I love about Ireland, but the major two things I can't abide are the widespread disregarding of rules that are there to make life bearable for everyone (e.g. lockdown, speed limits, picking up your dog's **** etc.) and the inexplicable veneration of the 'cute hoor' (see: this). Oh and the horrendous health system. And Ryan Tubridy.

It is the disregarding for rules that make life bearable for me. I like easy going places in that regard. Would hate to live Switzerland or Germany or Singapore for that reason.

But ireland has brought in a lot of rules from d'EU and I don't think itss improved things. Its now impossible to get a lot of things done due to bureaucracy. If you want to do something fun like drive an exotic car you are all but prevented from doing so by drysh1te bureaucrats who cant imagine someone would want to drive anything other than a Hyundai Tucson. Legitimate sportsmen are prevented from getting the guns they want for no good reason. Every hobby that carries a bit of risk and cant be done from an armchair seems to have a kibosh waiting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is the disregarding for rules that make life bearable for me. I like easy going places in that regard. Would hate to live Switzerland or Germany or Singapore for that reason.

But ireland has brought in a lot of rules from d'EU and I don't think itss improved things. Its now impossible to get a lot of things done due to bureaucracy. If you want to do something fun like drive an exotic car you are all but prevented from doing so by drysh1te bureaucrats who cant imagine someone would want to drive anything other than a Hyundai Tucson. Legitimate sportsmen are prevented from getting the guns they want for no good reason. Every hobby that carries a bit of risk and cant be done from an armchair seems to have a kibosh waiting for it.

Hmmmm . No one has ever stopped me from what I want to do; being e pensioner has severe limits but I am at peace about that. Maybe the secret of happiness is that; not fretting about things you can do nothing about. Living within the limits you know about.. Out here I am at peace with what I have. A small " island car" would be wonderful but I will not fret else. My hobbies are innocuous!

The red tape that would be involved moving abroad means I never will. Coming to Ireland from the Uk was easy though

Maybe Shetland? lol.... France appeals and I am fluent. Britanny… I look at rentals online! Or Norway. That will do fine!

I agree with no guns totally. Safety is a very good reason. Of you and of others. Plenty other sports. Archery is good... I mean that. The more restrictions on guns the better. Another reason to stay where it is safer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So in a nutshell you’re looking for somewhere you can decide to pick and choose what rules you’ll comply with, with no regard to the society around you.

I think you’ll find that you’ll need to add several more countries to the three you already mentioned then.

Who stops you driving whatever car you want?
    I don't believe those things are prevented by the EU?
    Not sure what EU rules are a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Cheaper than eindhoven or Amsterdam I'm told. A mate just bought a house in Utrecht, because it was more affordable than Eindhoven

My colleagues from Utrecht in work are having an awful time finding something to buy there. One thing about housing here in general, it.is.expensive! New builds are pretty much no go as you have to win the opportunity to buy one in the developers lottery and fund it up front. A typical 100m2 terraced house would set you back at least 400k in an okay area (In the Randstad). I'm here two years now and strongly considering going back to Ireland as it's bleak here for buyers.

Now if you plan to rent, then that's fine, cheaper than Dublin and there's far more to offer here I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Netherlands or Belgium (Flanders) for me, since I already have a start on the language, knowing Afrikaans as I do. Spoken Dutch is its own thing, of course, and they have regional accents just as in English-speaking places. I've tried listening to Dutch radio, and so far it's been tough.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

yer man! wrote: »
    My colleagues from Utrecht in work are having an awful time finding something to buy there. One thing about housing here in general, it.is.expensive! New builds are pretty much no go as you have to win the opportunity to buy one in the developers lottery and fund it up front. A typical 100m2 terraced house would set you back at least 400k in an okay area (In the Randstad). I'm here two years now and strongly considering going back to Ireland as it's bleak here for buyers.

Now if you plan to rent, then that's fine, cheaper than Dublin and there's far more to offer here I would say.

Yeah i heard its a nightmare from someone i know over there, worse than Ireland even.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

Our restrictive gun licensing laws were necessitated by the IRA, not the EU.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    So in a nutshell you’re looking for somewhere you can decide to pick and choose what rules you’ll comply with, with no regard to the society around you.

I think you’ll find that you’ll need to add several more countries to the three you already mentioned then.

No just a place that doesn't have as many. A place that's like Ireland was in the 80's and 90s or earlier before people started getting all uptight about everything

bubblypop wrote: »
    Who stops you driving whatever car you want?
    I don't believe those things are prevented by the EU?
    Not sure what EU rules are a problem?

EU type approval rules put a limit onto how many of certain cars come into the EU and make it awkward to import the likes of a TVR, Caterham, Ariel. Then you have the Irish insurance cartel acting as the unofficial gatekeeper of what kind of car you are allowed to drive and the government letting them get away with it.

No just a place that doesn't have as many. A place that's like Ireland was in the 80's and 90s or earlier before people started getting all uptight about everything

EU type approval rules put a limit onto how many of certain cars come into the EU and make it awkward to import the likes of a TVR, Caterham, Ariel. Then you have the Irish insurance cartel acting as the unofficial gatekeeper of what kind of car you are allowed to drive and the government letting them get away with it.

So the Irish government then stop you driving what you want.
    What does the EU stop you doing?

So the Irish government then stop you driving what you want.
    What does the EU stop you doing?

Prevents me from getting the car in the first place I suppose

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It does look like a very nice place. I'd always thought only of either The Hague or Amsterdam when looking at the Netherlands.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

zweton wrote: »
    Yeah i heard its a nightmare from someone i know over there, worse than Ireland even.

I don't understand what's in it for people who move over there. So you have 500k in the bank and buy your little mid terrace house

Then you have no space for your stuff, sh1t pubs, no craic, feck all of a garden, if you make a tiny bit of noise the neighbours will call the cops. The one redeeming feature might be that you're not terribly far from the beach or a big lake

My family moved from the Netherlands to Ireland in the 70s because it was getting too packed and too restrictive even back then. Now of course it's gone besh1t altogether. Someone I know over there sold a gaff like the aforementioned one for 500k recently, you couldn't swing a mouse around in it and you have to walk through the neighbour's yard to get to it.

There's more to life than buying houses!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not when you're crammed in a houseshare.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I don't understand what's in it for people who move over there. So you have 500k in the bank and buy your little mid terrace house

Then you have no space for your stuff, sh1t pubs, no craic, feck all of a garden, if you make a tiny bit of noise the neighbours will call the cops. The one redeeming feature might be that you're not terribly far from the beach or a big lake

My family moved from the Netherlands to Ireland in the 70s because it was getting too packed and too restrictive even back then. Now of course it's gone besh1t altogether. Someone I know over there sold a gaff like the aforementioned one for 500k recently, you couldn't swing a mouse around in it and you have to walk through the neighbour's yard to get to it.

I bought a house a few years ago in eindhoven just before the market went a bit crazy. Its a mid terrace house with 120m^2 floorspace and a 100m^2 garden. Within 2 minutes of my house there are about 5 playgrounds for my child that are maintained very well, i'm a 7 minute cycle to the centre, a 12 minute cycle to my work

The lifestyle is a lot better. I get 41 days holidays a year, get paid for 13 months in the year, cycle everywhere. Family life clearly comes first here rather than work, Eindhoven is small so all my friends are a max 20 minute cycle. Lots of pubs and restaurants around and just about any sport i could care to play is catered for. Loads of parks and with a 15 minute cycle we are out in nature.

None of my neighbours have every called the cops on my house parties. Warn your neighbours in advance and if they have a problem they come talk to you. You might see that as restrictive but i see it as completely fair.

Ideally living in them. The buying part shouldnt be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

NL definitely has a ton of positives, where I live I'm 30 minutes cycle to the beach, 10 minute walk to an ice rink, and 5 minutes to a well connected railway station. So the quality of life is pretty good here! The only thing that gets me is the space, since I work from home most of the time now it's a problem. In an apartment working from the kitchen table and no outdoor space is grating...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

yer man! wrote: »
    NL definitely has a ton of positives, where I live I'm 30 minutes cycle to the beach, 10 minute walk to an ice rink, and 5 minutes to a well connected railway station. So the quality of life is pretty good here! The only thing that gets me is the space, since I work from home most of the time now it's a problem. In an apartment working from the kitchen table and no outdoor space is grating...

I thought everyone in the Netherlands had a little back garden in which they spent all their holidays, except for the 2 weeks every year that they clog up the autobahns with their caravans and camper vans, much to their neighbours' displeasure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Made it as far as the UK... would love to go further, but unless I'm in a multinational, it'll be too costly to up sticks with a family.

Funnily enough I was approached for a job in Paris recently, would love to have gone for it, but no relocation assistance.

Utrecht looks amazing, like a mini amsterdam without the tourists etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Sleepy wrote: »
    I have family in Pamplona and the Basque region seems to have a great joie-de-vivre in general, lovely weather and lots to do in the area too... close to Saint Sebastian for some of the finest dining in the world too :)

From a cursory glance you'd have a nice 2/3 bed renovated to your taste for about 200k

I was in Pamplona once, walking through on the Camino, on a morning of the Encierro! Place was hopping at 8am! I'd like to see more of it.
    I like northern Spain in general though. I like the landscape, people, food and of course wine. Outside of the larger cities there are lots of pretty towns. Belorado, Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Castrojeriz and Carrion de los Condes are some that come to mind instantly (all on the French Camino).

Advertisement