Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've not been on here much lately, just finishing my first year in college. Quite a shock re learning how to write essays after *mumble mumble* too many years.
    The year has flown, 3 more to go.
    Currently struggling with lack of sleep as Tiffi has an eye issue. Ulcer wasn't healing after nearly 3 weeks and multiple vet visits, so had to have a procedure yesterday. She was very upset by the cone and since she's so low to the ground she couldn't walk with it on.
    Blow up one is much better, she's really milking it though, whining and looking pitiful and asking to be carried around.
    Just trying to stay awake for last dose of meds before bed. 13 alarms a day on my phone to remind me of various drops and meds. Fingers crossed this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Hope everything goes good. My own dog got his eye taking out over a year ago.

Hope everything goes good. My own dog got his eye taking out over a year ago.

Hoping to avoid losing the eye. Back tomorrow to see if any progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

mymo wrote: »
    Hoping to avoid losing the eye. Back tomorrow to see if any progress.

Poor pet, eye issues are the worst. Peach had recurring ulcers in her eye so we were eventually referred to the eye vet in limerick. Expensive but so worth it. She did a complicated bit of surgery on her eye to avoid having to lose it. 3 years on and she still gets a bit of a yucky runny eye that needs drops for a few days but thankfully no nasty infections like she used to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh best of luck with Tifi! Bailey had a benign melanoma removed from his ankle on Friday. Not having our walks is killing me! The wound looks great though so I’m not chancing it

• Advertisement

The ulcer has closed!
    Can't believe it, after all the visits and meds, the procedure worked. Got to keep the doughnut on and keep up meds til next Thursday when we go back for check.
    The relief.

tk123 wrote: »
    Oh best of luck with Tifi! Bailey had a benign melanoma removed from his ankle on Friday. Not having our walks is killing me! The wound looks great though so I’m not chancing it

Poor Bailey, hope you're back out walking soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

micah537 wrote: »
    Yes. Test one out on your neck and see.

Most dogs are trainable with patience. What is your problem with the dog? Someone here might be able to help you.

It's my neighbours dog...the other week I heard a loud yelp! I honestly thought the dog was hit by a car...I ran out the front and my neighbour told me she's got a tazer collar, it's to stop her from chasing cars which she did have a constant habit of doing...so maybe its understandable I don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

frosty123 wrote: »
    It's my neighbours dog...the other week I heard a loud yelp! I honestly thought the dog was hit by a car...I ran out the front and my neighbour told me she's got a tazer collar, it's to stop her from chasing cars which she did have a constant habit of doing...so maybe its understandable I don't know?

Uh no, I’d advise your neighbour to try it on their selves, maybe you could let them know it’s cruel & given that the selling of them are banned in several European countries I’d quite happily let them know it’s adversative & downright cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

@tk123 sorry to hear about Bailey, hope he’s feeling better soon.

• Advertisement

Well my dog has made it a week over 17 years and is in excellent health and to think people on here were telling me to put him down 3 weeks ago. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Well my dog has made it a week over 17 years and is in excellent health and to think people on here were telling me to put him down 3 weeks ago. :pac:

Congratulations to him!
    But, you admitted yourself, twice [edit, actually 3 times], that you had exaggerated his symptoms which, as you described them at the time, made it sound as if he was in a very bad way, so people including myself could only go on what you shared with us. I think it's quite unfair of you to disrespect people who were genuinely concerned for your dog, given the information you gave was, by your own admission, wrong.

By way of reminder, this is your original post..
    Well a half a month update on my dogs journey to 17 years old. 2 weeks to go till he hits 17 years old. I cannot believe it but he is getting a lot weaker and sleeps a lot but after a long nap he gets energy and walks about aimlessly in circles and falls and gets stuck in corners. He only has one eye and probably 20% sight left in his only eye. It's hard bringing him out to the toilet as it's as if he has forgotten why I have brought him outside as the same as in the house he walks about aimlessly in circles and it's only if he is absolutely bursting will he go. But he is still strong enough to keep him alive.

He always slept with me but stopped for a long time as he got too weak to make the jump up onto the bed plus he hasn't the strength to make the fall off the bed and I was afraid if he fell off wrong and broke his leg in would most likely have to be put to sleep due to age and long healing, so I decided to let him sleep on either of his two dogs beds. One on the floor in my bedroom or in the kitchen. He would change throughout the night to either one, back when he had more strength. So the past week I moved my mattress to the floor as he can now sleep with me in the last couple of weeks of his life. Which he seems to like which is a good thing. It's mad sleeping on the floor reminds me of staying with my cousins when I was younger.

Anyway long rant but hopefully he makes the next two weeks.

I suppose reading that it does sound like he was in a bad way which for the record is not the case. He is 100% healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,862 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I suppose reading that it does sound like he was in a bad way which for the record is not the case. He is 100% healthy.

Posters here have only been supportive of you and concerned for your dog as all dog lovers would be.

Please update your posts accordingly. It’s great he is well.

Well some of it's true. The part about being too weak to make the jump up onto the bed. He is like that over a year anyway. And he is also too weak to make a fall off the bed also as he would have to be put to sleep if he fell off the bed the wrong way onto his leg and broke it. And he is also back sleeping with me the past while as I said in the second paragraph. This below is the only wrong part in the second paragraph:
    He would change throughout the night to either one, back when he had more strength.

He has enough strength to walk from the kitchen to my bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

My 15 year old cat with hyperthyroidism was doing relatively ok on her meds until today, when she started to throw up violently after eating. I am so worried about her. We are taking her up to the vet tomorrow. Please cross all fingers and paws for us. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Good luck today Sunbeam. I hope it all goes well for your cat and it's just a bug or something disagreeing with her tummy.

Best of luck sunbeam. As a human who had thyroid disease it's very hard to explain but everything is just off. I had the best of both worlds lol - an overactive tumour which took over so the rest of the thyroid had shutdown and was under-active. It affects everything - your mood, your energy, your digestion, joints, everything. Bailey has an under-active thyroid and I was able to spot the signs quite early on.

Thanks Mollyb60 and tk123.

We had a rough night. She slept beside me but got up every couple of hours to throw up, even though her stomach was empty. I was sleeping with one eye open myself, just hoping she wouldn't try to hide under the bed. Luckily she didn't.

Vet is giving her fluids and anti nausea meds and running blood tests. I'm very anxious but know she is in the best place.

She's coming home this afternoon. The vomiting has stopped. Vet has given her antibiotics just to be careful. Blood test results not too bad. Her organs are ok. Thyroid levels still above normal, but coming down. I am so relieved as I was terrified that the kidneys might have failed.

The house is so quiet without her.

• Advertisement

Hope everything goes well sunbeam. It’s such a worry when they’re unwell.

I’m just out from the vets with Peach. Her eye saga continues. She had been doing well after her surgery two years ago except for the odd few days of gunk and inflammation but for around the last month we noticed that it looked like part of her lower lashes were starting to turn in. I was hopeful that with drops that inflammation would go down and they would turn out again but no such look.
    The vets prescribed a stronger steroid drop that we have to give to her for the next week and if there’s no change she’ll have to go for surgery on the eyelid :(
    But she has lost half a kg in weight which is good because the vet wanted her to lose some last time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I haven't been involved in dog training for months now, I really miss it. I've broken away from the crowd I was involved with (plus with covid, it wasn't really happening anyway). Considering going out on my own, I have been asked to multiple times. Though I love the ability to have discussions/back-and-forth with other trainers in the same circle, it's just not easy to find or get involved in. :(

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Sorry about Peach SillyMangoX. I hope the stronger drops are working.

My poor cat is back at the vet's tonight after starting vomiting again. I don't think she can tolerate the hyperthyroid meds at the dose of them she needs. Am just gutted as surgery or radioactive iodine treatments aren't options for her and I don't think she would eat the Hills therapeutic food. I'm also very frustrated with my interaction with the vet for reasons I'm not going to elaborate on here, though I'm sure they are doing their best. And I'm feeling pretty ill myself. :-(

My dog is 17 years and 3 weeks old now. Fairly good going if I do say so myself.

Every time I see somebody yank their pulling dogs lead (usually a new pup) out on our walk I feel the urge to walk over and push them :mad: ideally over lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My dog is 17 years and 3 weeks old now. Fairly good going if I do say so myself.

Very good going.. I have a cat the same age!

Does anyone want a reformed tomcat who used to be ultra aggressive but now adores me! He sleeps by the door, attaches when I emerge, follows me, talking all the time, and as soon as I stop walking, he rolls onto his back and wriggles!

Utterly devoted... Never saw such a transformation.

Only aggression now is to his son who is so like him in all respects! And I think he thinks he is defending me...

Tomorrow is the deciding day on whether peach needs surgery or not. I can’t see any difference in her eye after a week of drops, hoping the vet might see a difference but psyching myself up for the fact they most likely will say she’ll need the surgery. I know it’ll be better for her in the long run but it’s such a worry when they’re older. She’ll be 12 this summer. I’ll definitely get them to run bloods first before any surgery though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

my dog is gas... all winter its been... let me in so i can sleep under your feet. now it summer its like.... bye im outside and ill see you for dinner round 4 ok!

* fully enclosed area before anyone asks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dashoonage wrote: »
    my dog is gas... all winter its been... let me in so i can sleep under your feet. now it summer its like.... bye im outside and ill see you for dinner round 4 ok!

* fully enclosed area before anyone asks :P

My cats are the same; treat the place like a hotel. ROOM SERVICE !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

150 animals removed from Dublin petting farm due to welfare concerns https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2021/0428/1212664-animals-welfare/
    why don't they name the place?

Advertisement