Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭giveitholly

sligojoek wrote: »
    What did he say about his father?

Someone might correct me on this but he was talking about drink,well lecturing to be honest,and said when his father used to come back from the pub you could feel the tension in the house,or something to that effect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Someone might correct me on this but he was talking about drink,well lecturing to be honest,and said when his father used to come back from the pub you could feel the tension in the house,or something to that effect

Yeah that was the gist of it, that he wasn't a mad drunk or violent but there was tension.... Whatever form that took I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Yeah that was the gist of it, that he wasn't a mad drunk or violent but there was tension.... Whatever form that took I don't know.

Jeeeez..... if one of my siblings washed a bit of our family laundry like that in front anyone, let alone on the national airwaves, I'd have to be held back.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Maybe he was confusing tension for craic - cos he wouldn't know what the fcuk craic is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Who's Liam Mellows? sez D'Arcy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Who's Liam Mellows? sez D'Arcy

You didn’t expect him to know surely.....?

You didn’t expect him to know surely.....?

Moderately successful hurling team from Galway City? Out Renmore direction.

Moderately successful hurling team from Galway City? Out Renmore direction.

He remains an icon

Mellows’ connection with Galway remains strong. Mellows hurling club was established in 1933; Renmore Barracks, formerly the home depot of the Connaught Rangers, was named Dún Uí Mhaoilíosa in 1954, and his statue was erected in Eyre Square during the commemoration of the Rising in 1966. His role during the Rising and his election as TD for Galway means that he remains an icon of the revolutionary period in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Ray and jenny have a podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 39,630 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I happened to catch the first few minutes of the show today and I’m thankful I don’t listen regularly. What a depressing listen. He said people would be getting the BBQs out and getting food poisoning from half cooked sausages and seem to make a joke out it. Are sausages bad now in his mind ?

He’d obviously made a suggestion for some TV and the listener said it was terrible so he got in a huff and won’t be recommending any again. I mean how dare someone not agree with something he suggests.

Liam mellows was mentioned and there are two statues and none for the women in the rising and it sounded like he was blaming Liam mellows who’s been dead for nearly a century.

How does he get paid so much for being so bad at operating the equipment and be so boring and lecturing to his listeners ? He makes joe Duffy sound cheerful and someone who is able to have a laugh every now and again in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭giveitholly

There was a male guest on today and someone text in to ask if he was single? Ray then read out another text from another listener advising the first texter to Google the guest to see how handsome he was. Now if this was a female guest imagine the uproar if male texters were commenting on how good looking she was. Well I know Ray wouldn't read out the text in the first place. Talk about double standards from the self confessed feminist

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Ray and jenny have a podcast

What ? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Started listening to the most recent episode out of curiosity.

I have now heard that story about his son strolling into the live telly interview no fewer than 3 times thus week. That has to be the most bare-faced attempt at going viral I have ever come across. Albeit, he is trying to advertise a great cause (Laura Lynn)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Fast forwarded to about halfway Jenny asks Ray have you seen Frank of Ireland then asks did we watch all 6 episodes. Bad as each other

Really not interested in hearing them talk about their day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Started listening to the most recent episode out of curiosity.

I have now heard that story about his son strolling into the live telly interview no fewer than 3 times thus week. That has to be the most bare-faced attempt at going viral I have ever come across. Albeit, he is trying to advertise a great cause (Laura Lynn)

Son strolling into Dads live-stream with National TV Broadcaster but because it's D'Arcy & VMTV it goes viral; if I was Laura Lynn I'd be fuming; so unprofessional & that's got the headlines for most part; it wasn't exactly an interuption worth retelling to be fair; I thought it was staged, a scheduled special guest appearance by the young lad; cue him being on his generations version of Jo Maxi & being groomed for an Irish Media gig at local or national level in next 15+ years.....

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I happened to catch the first few minutes of the show today and I’m thankful I don’t listen regularly. What a depressing listen. He said people would be getting the BBQs out and getting food poisoning from half cooked sausages and seem to make a joke out it. Are sausages bad now in his mind ?

He’d obviously made a suggestion for some TV and the listener said it was terrible so he got in a huff and won’t be recommending any again. I mean how dare someone not agree with something he suggests.

Yes, he made a suggestion for some Amazon movie, literally every day last week, he'd get a text in 'what was the name of that movie Ray?'

How does he get paid so much for being so bad at operating the equipment and be so boring and lecturing to his listeners ? He makes joe Duffy sound cheerful and someone who is able to have a laugh every now and again in comparison.

He screwed up the intro AGAIN today, two attempts to get it right followed by the usual 'huh, yeah, just click that there AH there we go now', I don't know if he really is that simple or if he's trying to play a naive whimsical character who makes silly likkle mistakes. Fcuk me, could you imagine him in his DJ'ing days in the pubs and clubs?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Fcuk me, could you imagine him in his DJ'ing days in the pubs and clubs?!!

He was so bad he had to get a job in RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

In fairness, he wasn't the worst DJ. He was perfect for the time with the lively stuff, slow sets etc and he was able to fade records into each other without any problems. It's the technology that's caught up with him (I'm in the same boat).
    Ray was good at what he did as regards DJ'ing and The Den and he should have stuck to that kind of stuff. I think he knows he's out of his league now but if they keep throwing money at him why would he stop.

In fairness, he wasn't the worst DJ. He was perfect for the time with the lively stuff, slow sets etc and he was able to fade records into each other without any problems. It's the technology that's caught up with him (I'm in the same boat).
    Ray was good at what he did as regards DJ'ing and The Den and he should have stuck to that kind of stuff. I think he knows he's out of his league now but if they keep throwing money at him why would he stop.

Ray hasn't the background knowledge for the show he’s doing.

He should stick to who won the ‘meat raffle’ in the pub after Mass.

What would I do if I won the ‘ Lottho’ kind of stuff, hairdresser radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Ray hasn't the background knowledge for the show he’s doing.

He should stick to who won the ‘meat raffle’ in the pub after Mass.

What would I do if I won the ‘ Lottho’ kind of stuff, hairdresser radio.

That's what his Today FM 9am-12 Noon show was; in fairness to it it was unreal successful.

I worked in a mind-numbingly boring job at the time, repetitive & monotonous & worked with auld wans for whom coming to work in beyond their county border gave them a nose bleed so bunging in the headphones as soon's I clocked on meant I could avoid their brain dead attempts at conversation.

I loved D'Arcy back then; yes I found he became meterosexual from about 2005-2006 but I had already given him a hall pass for it.

But it's worlds away from what he's currently doing bar the odd highlight; which is more down to the guest such as Vicky Phelan than he himself; Rte didn't do him any favours by shunting him into about a total, without ads/Nuacht/New, an hour, maybe an hour 10 or 15 when his forte was the "three" hour format; again that might've been maybe two and a half hours in total.

I know Derek Mooney ratings were plummeting but r/n I'd have him back in that slot no problem.

Was there nobody else other than D'Arcy? Mooney or D'Arcy was it?

Said it here before; don't break what's not broken; D'Arcy copy & paste from Today FM to....2 Fm or even Radio 1 from 9am-12 Noon.

That is also housewife time/hairdresser radio; kids been delivered out to childcare/school, time for "me" time, hairdressing appointments etc. before the rota begins again.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    That's what his Today FM 9am-12 Noon show was; in fairness to it it was unreal successful.

I worked in a mind-numbingly boring job at the time, repetitive & monotonous & worked with auld wans for whom coming to work in beyond their county border gave them a nose bleed so bunging in the headphones as soon's I clocked on meant I could avoid their brain dead attempts at conversation.

I loved D'Arcy back then; yes I found he became meterosexual from about 2005-2006 but I had already given him a hall pass for it.

But it's worlds away from what he's currently doing bar the odd highlight; which is more down to the guest such as Vicky Phelan than he himself; Rte didn't do him any favours by shunting him into about a total, without ads/Nuacht/New, an hour, maybe an hour 10 or 15 when his forte was the "three" hour format; again that might've been maybe two and a half hours in total.

I know Derek Mooney ratings were plummeting but r/n I'd have him back in that slot no problem.

Was there nobody else other than D'Arcy? Mooney or D'Arcy was it?

Said it here before; don't break what's not broken; D'Arcy copy & paste from Today FM to....2 Fm or even Radio 1 from 9am-12 Noon.

That is also housewife time/hairdresser radio; kids been delivered out to childcare/school, time for "me" time, hairdressing appointments etc. before the rota begins again.

I sure you notice that D’Arcy lightens up, relaxes, gets more coherent when an ‘easy’ interview is upcoming.

Like some loodramaawn who climbed 25 peaks in 22 days or something, or some gimp who drove round Ireland blindfold on four flat tyres..

Contrast that with the staccato delivery, the hesitant questioning, the re enforcing of questions, and the unease displayed with the obvious lack of knowledge of the subject matter.

There’s where the problem is......square peg....round hole..... out of comfort zone.

RTE have medals for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dynomutt

fritzelly wrote: »
    Fast forwarded to about halfway Jenny asks Ray have you seen Frank of Ireland then asks did we watch all 6 episodes. Bad as each other

Really not interested in hearing them talk about their day

I notice that Jenny gets top billing so it seems to be her own vanity project - Ray is allowed to chip in every now and then. Her slightly diluted Joanne McNally accent is hard work to listen to. Assorted highlights from the podcast include:

Ray ironing a denim shirt
    "Jahnnie" buying a flexible toilet brush
    Ray queuing in a post office to return an online purchase and discovering that another customer was doing the same.

It's bizarre how proud they are of their utter dreariness. They remind me of an Irish version of the similarly named Janice and Ray from the Catherine Tate Show.

He didnt happen to mention the name of that movie he watched by any chance did he? I cant remember what it was called....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,168 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ray says there are some lovely places open to visit, but of course you can't travel to them unless they are in your county or within 20km.

Then next sentence says he jumped into the car over the weekend and drove to Galway!

One rule for the plebs.....

"Jenny jumps out of bed in her knickers...."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Jenny jumps out of bed in her knickers...."

TMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Ray's hilarious depiction of the chaos in his home life, combined with his daily on-air screw ups lead me to think he's a combination of :

frank-spencer-classic-michael-crawford-1296414.jpg

And:

dim-323032.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ray says there are some lovely places open to visit, but of course you can't travel to them unless they are in your county or within 20km.

Then next sentence says he jumped into the car over the weekend and drove to Galway!

"Sorry Garda do you know who I am?....hold on now and I just reach for my driver license...ah hold on now just this button here...ah ha"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

NIMAN wrote: »

If that’s true it’s as big a scandal as the RTÉ going away party. Has this been reported in the press yet??

Advertisement