Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

Piehead wrote: »
    If that’s true it’s as big a scandal as the RTÉ going away party. Has this been reported in the press yet??
    There is an exemption in the Regs for broadcasting work. Darcy was interviewing the author Marian Keyes. Programmes are still being made to provide coverage of political, social, cultural and artistic life in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,273 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ray says there are some lovely places open to visit, but of course you can't travel to them unless they are in your county or within 20km.

Then next sentence says he jumped into the car over the weekend and drove to Galway!

One rule for the plebs.....

What time about was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

He did mention he had a 'letter' with him...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/

Essential Services

the production of television and radio programmes, video, sound, digital or other electronic content and the broadcast or publication of the same to the public or a portion of the public

elperello wrote: »

Essential Services

the production of television and radio programmes, video, sound, digital or other electronic content and the broadcast or publication of the same to the public or a portion of the public

Oh was he working???

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Seems a bit pointless bringing that lad down to galway, its not like hes a gifted interviewer or anything... Zoom would be fine Amackin we have enough latchyco's to pay for here already as it is without adding another one, mark my words im sure its us that'll be paying for Ray's Cuirt in the end

Essential Services

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should do it.

Ethics 101

• Registered Users Posts: 33,083 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RTE staff all think the world would stop without them.

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should do it.

Ethics 101

On the other hand you could argue that journalists and broadcasters refusing to avail of the exemption and do their job might be acting unethically.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    RTE staff all think the world would stop without them.

As is clear in the link I posted the exemption does not mention RTE and applies to all outlets.

• Advertisement

So Ray has a phobic fear of failure....

That's what keeps him on top of him game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭mountain

Ray hesitates before he says the day of the week.

He really is hopeless.

On the other hand you could argue that journalists and broadcasters refusing to avail of the exemption and do their job might be acting unethically.

How so, may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ray and jenny have a podcast

The answer to a question that absolutely nobody asked.

mountain wrote: »
    Ray hesitates before he says the day of the week.

He really is hopeless.

He's afraid of offending them if he gets the wrong day

How so, may I ask?

I was responding to your suggestion that there might be some ethical issue with using the exemption.

Well it is a moot point but the Government has recognised the importance of the fourth estate and broadcasting in a more general sense during these Covid times.

They have allowed them to travel to report news and current affairs and also to participate in cultural events and entertainment programmes.

These activities are a vital part of keeping the public informed and entertained at a time of considerable pressures.

If a journalist was to refuse to cover certain news or events citing an unwillingness to use the exemption that could be held to be a breach of ethics.

There are some interesting pieces online about journalistic ethics and Covid, this is one - https://gfmd.info/tips-for-covering-a-pandemic-how-to-practice-ethical-journalism/

^^^

I am suggesting that there are occasions when traveling is unnecessary, such as Ray D’Arcy going to Galway to interview someone who can be just as effectively interviewed over Skype, Zoom, etc. Or when a correspondent, standing outside Leinster House, is interviewed from the studio. There’s no need to be in Galway or outside Leinster House

If the job can be done perfectly well without traveling, why exercise your right to travel, just for the sake of it. I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t cover the news. Nobody went to the moon to cover Apollo 11

^^^

I am suggesting that there are occasions when traveling is unnecessary, such as Ray D’Arcy going to Galway to interview someone who can be just as effectively interviewed over Skype, Zoom, etc. Or when a correspondent, standing outside Leinster House, is interviewed from the studio. There’s no need to be in Galway or outside Leinster House

If the job can be done perfectly well without traveling, why exercise your right to travel, just for the sake of it. I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t cover the news. Nobody went to the moon to cover Apollo 11

I'm sure there are occasions when unnecessary travel does happen and that shouldn't be condoned but I don't think this was one.

They were trying to make some fist of https://www.cuirt.ie/ in difficult circumstances because of Covid.

I think it just wouldn't have worked as well remotely but I'm sure some will say they made a bad job of it anyway.

Surely a trip to Galway during Covid with everywhere closed isn't really that enviable?

The "on the spot" reports are a feature of broadcasting all over the world. The general idea is that it makes the news more authoritative to hear from the person on the scene who witnessed what is being reported or spoke to a participant or eye witness. Just a trick of the trade of news so to speak.

As for the moon, maybe Walter Cronkite should have gone. At least we would have been spared the last 50 years of nut-jobs trying to convince us that it was all a hoax filmed in a hangar in Arizona :)

I'm sure there are occasions when unnecessary travel does happen and that shouldn't be condoned but I don't think this was one.

They were trying to make some fist of https://www.cuirt.ie/ in difficult circumstances because of Covid.

I think it just wouldn't have worked as well remotely but I'm sure some will say they made a bad job of it anyway.

Surely a trip to Galway during Covid with everywhere closed isn't really that enviable?

The "on the spot" reports are a feature of broadcasting all over the world. The general idea is that it makes the news more authoritative to hear from the person on the scene who witnessed what is being reported or spoke to a participant or eye witness. Just a trick of the trade of news so to speak.
    Yeah, I'd agree with this. There is a distinction between promotional visual work and radio.

They were promoting Galway as a city for writers. This Festival is the main event that specifically connects Galway to literature, and it clearly makes sense to broadcast from there, once social distancing is respected.

I think there is a more legitimate argument to be made against D'Arcy (and some other RTE broadcasters) working from the Radio Centre every day. If Pat Kenny can broadcast from his palatial squat, and Ciara Kelly from her wardrobe, and Tipp FM regularly broadcast from what appears to be a converted hiace parked on the side of the street, there is no reason why Ray D'Arcy cannot ordinarily broadcast his radio show from home.

Why a justifiable trip to Galway is getting people annoyed is difficult to figure out. We can't just be giving out for the sake of giving out, that's exhausting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Yeah, I'd agree with this. There is a distinction between promotional visual work and radio.

They were promoting Galway as a city for writers. This Festival is the main event that specifically connects Galway to literature, and it clearly makes sense to broadcast from there, once social distancing is respected.

I think there is a more legitimate argument to be made against D'Arcy (and some other RTE broadcasters) working from the Radio Centre every day. If Pat Kenny can broadcast from his palatial squat, and Ciara Kelly from her wardrobe, and Tipp FM regularly broadcast from what appears to be a converted hiace parked on the side of the street, there is no reason why Ray D'Arcy cannot ordinarily broadcast his radio show from home.

Why a justifiable trip to Galway is getting people annoyed is difficult to figure out. We can't just be giving out for the sake of giving out, that's exhausting.

Are you new here?

• Advertisement

Actually, I'm not annoyed, jealous, envious etc. I am simply trying to point out that, IMO, just because you can travel as your category of employment is exempt from the strictures on most others, that exemption should be used judicially, sensibly and reasonably. You may have the right to do it, but surely somebody should be able to ask, "Is your journey really necessary."

Maybe there is some value in having a poor reporter standing outside a nearly empty Leinster House, in the wind and rain, chatting over a satellite link to Montrose; that value is clearly lost on me some of the time. But sending someone off for a radio interview seems to me to be even harder to justify.

It was a simple point that I was trying to make.

I was responding to your suggestion that there might be some ethical issue with using the exemption.

Well it is a moot point but the Government has recognised the importance of the fourth estate and broadcasting in a more general sense during these Covid times.

They have allowed them to travel to report news and current affairs and also to participate in cultural events and entertainment programmes.

These activities are a vital part of keeping the public informed and entertained at a time of considerable pressures.

If a journalist was to refuse to cover certain news or events citing an unwillingness to use the exemption that could be held to be a breach of ethics.

There are some interesting pieces online about journalistic ethics and Covid, this is one - https://gfmd.info/tips-for-covering-a-pandemic-how-to-practice-ethical-journalism/

I'm not talking about the ethics of their reporting per se. I'm talking about the travel exemption aspect. It doesn't convey a requirement to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This is a lesson in how to steal a living .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭avfc1874

This is a lesson in how to steal a living .

Had to laugh when he said he's at the age where he doesn't get jealous of anyone.
    Ray people are jealous of you for earning 400,0000 sighing through most of your interviews having little interest in most subjects messing up the buttons . Working little more than a few hrs a day. There are not many people to be jealous of Ray (I reckon he reads boards.ie

avfc1874 wrote: »
    Had to laugh when he said he's at the age where he doesn't get jealous of anyone.
    Ray people are jealous of you for earning 400,0000 sighing through most of your interviews having little interest in most subjects messing up the buttons . Working little more than a few hrs a day. There are not many people to be jealous of Ray (I reckon he reads boards.ie

I turned off the radio when he had the home birth crap on. His missus still picking the topics ;).
    Jealous of ray is a stretch. His renumeration for the quantity and quality of his offering is staggering.
    Annoyance and disgust would be a better way to put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I turned off the radio when he had the home birth crap on. His missus still picking the topics ;).
    Jealous of ray is a stretch. His renumeration for the quantity and quality of his offering is staggering.
    Annoyance and disgust would be a better way to put it.

He is the definition of the word whipped, he seems to have completely lost any thought of his own since he met Jenny

Well done D'Arcy, off to a great start....

Dickhead can't even play a track !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Ray - Ìt's "no holds barred", you thick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Dynomutt

This Wham! song is about not wanting freedom. A fact that probably won’t reach Ray’s brain until next week.

Advertisement