Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School starting age - going around in circles

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,823 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Genuine questions- Is there data on this or is it an opinion?

Loads of studies done to show girls (generally) mature earlier than boys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Loads of studies done to show girls (generally) mature earlier than boys.

I would be interested in reading one that refers to school attendance if you know of one. I am always wary of accepted truths like that. Not saying you are wrong but my guess is that any study on this would be on average. The OP's child may not fall within the averages so the advice may not be applicable in this case. This is why the OP should take the advice of those who know her child imho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Lisha wrote: »
    My daughter is an April bday and she went to school at 5.5 and no way was she too old. My son is a September bday and I often think that a few months would have stood to him. But fair enough 6 would be too old. Was only talking about this with work colleagues this week and a girl who sent her son at 4.5 really regrets and school are encouraging her to hold him back a year. In my opinion any child born after Xmas should wait til they gone 5 for school

Unfortunately it’s not really that straight forward. My 3 year old is an end of Dec baby. He started ECCE at 2 and 8 months and will have his 2 years done at 4 and 8 months. I don’t really think keeping him at home or paying for a third year is the right thing to do but am worried he’ll be too young starting at 4 and 8 months. The prescriptive year based approach of the ECCE is a pain to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

As a primary teacher, I've yet to see a child that started school too late. However, I've seen plenty that started too young...and it's very noticeable as they move up the school. Keep him back a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭fits

bee06 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it’s not really that straight forward. My 3 year old is an end of Dec baby. He started ECCE at 2 and 8 months and will have his 2 years done at 4 and 8 months. I don’t really think keeping him at home or paying for a third year is the right thing to do but am worried he’ll be too young starting at 4 and 8 months. The prescriptive year based approach of the ECCE is a pain to be honest.

Completely agree with this. With my twins one is starting at 4,8 and the other at 5,8. He gets an overage exemption due to diagnosis but if they’d been born when they were due two weeks later both would have been entitled to another year. It’s probably working out the best for us but my initial hopes would have been for both to be starting after they turned five.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My youngest started at 5.5, February baby. We had planned to send at 4.5 but school was oversubscribed and cut off was early January so we didn’t get in. Best thing that happened - she’s not the oldest in the class now but maturity wise it has stood to her, especially given the breaks in term of the last year. There are children in the class 15 months younger than her and you can tell - and as they get older it will become more of an issue. 50% of her class will be 19 doing leaving cert if you include TY - so it’s becoming more and more common

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

bee06 wrote: »

Yes I agree the ecce has made it more complicated.
    I started mine at Playschool taking that into account. Which is more difficult for people especially if they use crèches. As the crèche might put them into Playschool automatically.

It all depends on your child and each child is different and also depends on the school. Ours is a small country school with 2or3classes per teacher. So I felt the older mine were the better. That’s just my opinion I’m not saying anyone is right or wrong and I did what I felt was best in our circumstances.
    Then I know people in bigger one class per teacher schools and it’s less important there. Their younger aged children have thrived.

Best of luck to you, it’s not easy making decisions .
    And to be honest every day brings different challenges and it’s so hard. We are all doing our best and we all question ourselves every day. But all we can do is try. The one thing I felt helped my children was being involved in their after school activities and having their friends over as much as we could. Well now COVID has p’ed all over that so all I can say is once our children have people who care for them then that’s the foundation they need and we must cross our fingers after that.

So I’m never answering his question again. No offense meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Depends on the child surely No?

From my personal experience I went to school at 5 but was streets ahead of the rest of the class academically. I found the whole of primary school excruciatingly boring as the pace of the curriculum was glacial. Once I got to secondary school I stopped engaging in a real way with the educational process and ended up with a fairly average leaving cert with no desire to do third level. My 20s were spent coasting until I finally decided to go back to college in my thirties.
    I am no genius btw and while I accept that they were different times I still to this day wish I had been sent to school a year earlier. My life would have been completely different.

My advice to the OP - the people who know your child (you/creche/relatives) know best. There is no reason to wait if the child is ready.

Yes completely depends on the child. I was just offering my experience which is what I thought the op was asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

We were supposed to send our girl at 4 years, 4 months.
    At the last minute we changed our mind, so she started National school at 5 years, 5 months.
    Never regretted it, she's 2nd year in Secondry school now.
    Will have a driving licence before the end of transition year....

Not saying you are wrong but my guess is that any study on this would be on average.

Like every study ever conducted!
    A study based specifically on school attendance/performance would also be on average. Pre-school teachers, who deal exclusively with 3-5 years old are generally the only ones I hear telling a parent to send them early. Primary school teachers who deal with 4-13 year old in general will advise waiting until close to 5 where possible. And a montessori school should be able to cater for a child without them becoming bored.

My 4+2 month girl started junior infants. She breezed through primary, socially, academically, was very capable with the practical side of things. She was over a year younger than many of her classmates. At parent teacher meetings teachers weren't really aware of this. She absolutely held her own and was above average when it came to school work. All through primary I had no regrets.

Secondary school is proving a bit more difficult, as I don't think at 12+2 months she was able for the big step from small, innocent primary to much bigger, much more "teenagey" secondary school. She's still quite innocent, and naieve (as she should be). She's not quite "there" yet with wanting to have boyfriends/girlfriends and there is peer pressure on that score! She was fine starting primary. I couldn't imagine holding her for another year until she was 5. But I really wish there was a 7th class, where she didn't have to start secondary until she turned 13!

The OP came asking opinions based on others people's experiences and opinion. If he just wanted to take the advice of the people who know his child he wouldn't have posted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Hi all,

I know this topic comes up repeatedly (and I have read older threads) but I'm going around in circles and would really love some input.

Our son just turned 4 in early March and we had originally thought to send him to Junior Infants at 5.5yrs old. The montesorri he is currently at tell us they think he is ready to start JI at 4.5yrs old assuming we work on his resiliency (see below). I've asked them a few times if he's welcome to stay another year but they're being very evasive and have mentioned he may end up being bored. We understand these concerns but feel like we need to justify to them why 5.5yrs old.

He comes across as bright, gets involved, made friends and plays well. He is however prone to crying if things don't go his way which the montesorri say is down to immaturity. We're fine to work on this with him but can't shake the feeling he would be better equipped for big school next year. Talking to the big school, he wouldn't be the youngest (10 younger) if he starts in September.

I'm very confused :confused: Did anyone regret sending their Feb/March/April child at 5.5yrs old? Everyone is telling us later but the montesorri & school seem to think it'd be OK.

Thanks!

My girl was late March but we sent her. Best thing we ever did.
    She was more than able and since 1st class gets extra tasks to do as she is ahead of most of her classmates despite only one child being younger than her, and a few of them at least a year older.
    No two children are the same. No reason why a kid should be held back purely by the exact date on their birth cert. Some are more than capable at 4.5 years.
    When i was growing up I was in school with a lad who was just 4 in July. His parents sent him in and by the time he finished his leaving he hadn't turned 17, and had a BA completed before he turned 20.
    Now as a teacher I have had a number students who have turned 20 just before sitting the leaving. I often think back to my old buddy who had his degree in the bag by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

All the sports my Senior Infants son plays go by year of birth eg football, hurling, rugby and tennis. He started school at 5 years and 7 months. The handful of kids who didn’t take the extra year of ecce should be playing with Junior Infants. Some have changed their date of birth on paper so they can play with their friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Now as a teacher I have had a number students who have turned 20 just before sitting the leaving. I often think back to my old buddy who had his degree in the bag by then.

I think the introduction of the ecce scheme is bringing a "society shift" on school age.

Just like our parents would have finished school at 14, us finishing at 17/18 I think today's primary will be 19/20.

It will work out as it will be "the norm".

I think extra maturity in college is no harm either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Like every study ever conducted!

Do you have an example of one though as I said I would be interested to read it and am wary about accepted truths? Googling just gives a hodge podge of opinion pieces which have little merit.

I haven't conducted any myself. Google brings up plenty of results if you want to read through.

All children are going to be different. And a particular 4 year old boy could be streets ahead maturity wise to a 5.5 year old girl in his class. So a study saying girls mature earlier than boys is going to be useless to that girl and boy.

The OP himself feels his own son could do with another year. I would think the parents would know their child far far better than a montessori teacher. I've had 4 children start junior infants all aged between 4+2 and 5+1 a mix of boys and girls. As it happened in my situation the girls were closer to 4, the boys closer to 5. Knowing my own children best I started them at the ages I felt were best for them.

My 4+2 daughter was absolutely 100% ready for junior infants. The same girl at 12+2 was a bit 'innocent' in 1st year, but again seems to be holding her own. I have a boy who started at 5, who will be 13 in first year in a few months and I honestly think he is STILL very immature, physically, emotionally. Missing so much of 5th and 6th class where the build up to secondary happens hasn't helped, but he won't be much different to every other child starting, I suppose.

OP, as mentioned numerous times, you are the one who knows your child best. You can take advice from all angles, but at the end of the day the final decision lies with you.

Edit: I haven't read the full report but here is a report published by Newcastle University in Cerebral Cortex. (Whatever that is!)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

Better to leave it later than sooner. Children can struggle going too soon , and for many years after.
    You won't find many issues with a child starting a year later.
    Go with the least chance of problems which is a late start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

My 2c.

Our boy turned 4 this month but there is no way in hell he would be ready for school in September so he will be 5.5 starting. He is very bright, excellent language skills, memory etc but he is definitely lacking in maturity. At the end of the day, he will be in school for long enough and we firmly believe that he will benefit long term. Its funny about the different attitudes with ECCE providers. The one he is in is completely against any child starting school before they get to 5 or damn near it.

Edit: I haven't read the full report but here is a report published by Newcastle University in Cerebral Cortex. (Whatever that is!)

Not much in that and it is a tiny sample size. As I said google just gives a hodge podge of opinion pieces. I will see if I can find anything concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

If a child starts school at 5 yrs 6 months they will be 19yrs 6 months doing the leaving cert, which in my opinion is far too late. (Assuming they do TY) They will turn 18 and still have another year and a half in secondary school, where education is very structured.
    In that instance I think it would be best to skip the TY year which would be a pity for many pupils.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

joe40 wrote: »
    If a child starts school at 5 yrs 6 months they will be 19yrs 6 months doing the leaving cert, which in my opinion is far too late. (Assuming they do TY) They will turn 18 and still have another year and a half in secondary school, where education is very structured.
    In that instance I think it would be best to skip the TY year which would be a pity for many pupils.
    What's the rush though? Why is 19 and older too late to do the leaving cert? I did sixth year in a private college which had many people repeating the Lc and some were in their 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

lazygal wrote: »
    What's the rush though? Why is 19 and older too late to do the leaving cert? I did sixth year in a private college which had many people repeating the Lc and some were in their 20s.

Me too probably the same school. They had a whole study hall for people who were repeating LC after completing a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭Deeec

joe40 wrote: »

Why would this be a problem?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Probably because we are comparing it to back when we were doing the leaving, when a lot more is known these days about education in the early years and in general there is a bit of a movement towards starting formal education a bit later in quite a few countries. Can't help comparing but at the same time, it's not the same these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭JPup

Most kids are 5 starting these days. So a lot will be 19 doing the leaving. Not a big deal I think.

In the old days kids would be sent in on the 4th birthday and if they stayed for the leaving they might only be 16. But that’s hardly ideal, is it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I'll give my 4 cents on this, I've two points of view, as a child and as a primary principal.

1st, I was sent to school at 4y 2m, as my Dad, a primary teacher felt I was ready at the time. I was able and managed away but as time went on the gap got harder. I remember in 5th class, it was becoming a struggle academically and I was noticeably behind my classmates, in hindsight even I can see it. My pals were far more mature than me, getting interested in girls and moving towards early teen interests where I was still happy playing with my toy cars and being generally a small boy. I was quite smaller than the other boys, a not inconsequential thing when subjected to the rough and tumble of boys games and play. Some boys love to pick on the smallest boy, especially the babyish immature one. Nothing of note but it was something I did have to deal with.

Fast forward and JB Senior decided I was to repeat 5th class. It was an awful shock to my system but it was the best thing that ever happened me. Classwork suddenly became far easier and I seemed to be at the same level, mentally, as the boys in my new class.

Now fast forward to 2021. I'm primary principal in a school in the Middle East. My students begin at 3 years 2 months but it's not compulsory until 5y 2 months. As as a result when enrollment processes start I always advise for boys to err on the lower class when beginning. It's a fact, girls are easily 6 months ahead of boys at the same age. I don't have a peer reviewed article to back up my acertation, but I do this for a living! I am allocating school places at the moment for Sept starts and when looking at age, if there a situation where a boy is borderline age wise, I'll always advise going to KG1 over KG2.

Finally being 18 at the end of 5th year was a godsend. LC year is a nice year in so far that you're an adult by law and on the cusp of living an adult's life and the freedom that comes with it. Going to the pub or on the town to celebrate end of term, mocks finishing, friends 18ths etc is part of the LC year experience and being of age makes it one less stress. Entering college with that behind you means your less likely to lose the run of yourself with new found freedoms.

You'll never regret starting a year late, but if you start a year early and issues pop up, you'll kick yourself for not waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

For a counter argument, I was 16 going to uni as was one of my brothers, both of us have fared fine. There's no blanket rule for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

hots wrote: »
    For a counter argument, I was 16 going to uni as was one of my brothers, both of us have fared fine. There's no blanket rule for everyone.

True but 16 in Uni couldn't have been easy socially.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

True but 16 in Uni couldn't have been easy socially.

It was grand for me, my peers had been a year older than me for nearly all of my schooling so it was just more of the same. Not being too baby-faced helped a bit for sure and it was a talking point the first time someone realised, that was about the height of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

hots wrote: »

I was 16/17 in 5th year and I remember that year being really down.

My school friends were all heading to the pub at weekends , I looked 12 , so no way I'd get in. I remember feeling every Saturday night that my life was sh1te ( I may have been dramatic) .

If that was first year in college I'd probably have dropped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Right that's it. Decision made. My January baby will be starting ECCE in Sept and will do two years. She will 5yrs 8mo staring primary and will be 18yrs 8months starting college.
    (The plug could be pulled on TY in a school in the morning so using that as an argument to send a child to school at a younger age is not a great idea)

Advertisement