Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School starting age - going around in circles

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

fima wrote: »
    You told me to have a read of it, I told you I read it, studied it and my previous post told you I don’t like it, I prefer a play based and child led approach. Have a nice day.
    Not sure why you needed to toss in the 'idiots' comment but you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

OP here.

Firstly I'd just like to thank everyone for all the perspectives and debate on this thread. It's like a microcosm of what we're experiencing :) I had another call with the Montesorri this morning who again expressed strong reservations about keeping our son for another year. They did confirm that he could potentially stay another year if we still feel the same in June. If he stays, their main concern is what his learning plan would be as he is already pre-reading and doing addition. Honestly, it's his maturity that we're thinking of right now so haven't really formed any opinion yet on what he could be doing in another year of pre-school. It's not really a resolution per se yet but it's still some progress so I'm OK with that. I do believe that we (us & Montesorri) are trying to do what we think is best for our son, we're just polar opposites in opinion right now.

Question for the group, is transition year now something that all kids do?

Easy said but can you switch preschool to more of a playgroup setting. Nothing against Montessori at all, i have no personal exoerimce of it but a my oldest went to a community playschool and it was just that - play.
    They follow a structured approach to learning through play called Aistear so it's not just an airy fairy concept. Lots of learning happening but no formal pre-reading/ number work etc, all through play.
    I'm teaching 15+yrs and i only taught my fella how to write his name (not even surname) before starting school.

Edited to add: i see a lot of my post has already been mentioned. I got distracted by the row!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Popping back in here. My daughter did 3 years full in Montessori. It was meant to be 1 year part time and 1 full time but ended up being 3 years full time.

Was she bored? Not once
    Was she challenged and encouraged to develop at her speed? Yes

This was all down to the staff. When I expressed concern at her having to stay for an unexpected third year they were so reassuring, they are capable of teaching children beyond 1 year.

Advertisement