Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat (2021)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭sonic85

Absolutely zero reason why this shouldn't be on Google Play to rent given GvK was.

Hungry **** must be banking on a cinema release.

Exactly. To be honest if this is any way decent I would be watching it multiple times - renting it tonight and going to see it on the big screen when cinemas reopen. As it is I cant watch it at all. I know I can watch it by "other means" but I'd rather pay for it in the hopes it would be successful and we'd get at least one sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I enjoyed it. Equal parts silly and enjoyable.. Looks absolutely amazing too..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So no VOD services are showing this today then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Thought that was deadly. Just the right mix of cheese. Some raaaandom MK characters thrown in there. Enjoyed comic relief Kano.
    Hopefully it gets a sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Corholio wrote: »
    So no VOD services are showing this today then?

Doesn't look like it. WB UK have gone quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Decisions like this lead to piracy. I would legitimately love to watch this legally, but instead WB have decided not to release it in some form over here, and won't even give an update as to when it may. Just hope there's a good enough copy floating around, because if you're like me and trying to avoid as much as possible, it's going to get ruined by some dicks online before it'll even release over here (I basically know the Mandalorian story because of social media).

Regardless, unless it's pure pants (which it won't be, because MK!!!) I will most likely go to see it in IMAX as soon as we can. But no way I can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Decisions like this lead to piracy. I would legitimately love to watch this legally, but instead WB have decided not to release it in some form over here,

It boggles the mind doesnt it? Especially in this day and age, they are pretty much making the decision to be robbed to piracy by doing this, i have no idea why they would do it, its insanity to me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Decisions like this lead to piracy. I would legitimately love to watch this legally, but instead WB have decided not to release it in some form over here, and won't even give an update as to when it may. Just hope there's a good enough copy floating around, because if you're like me and trying to avoid as much as possible, it's going to get ruined by some dicks online before it'll even release over here (I basically know the Mandalorian story because of social media).

I'm watching it right now on HBO MAX. No need for piracy. 15 dollars per month

The only reason I can think of is that they're banking on this as a potential hit in the cinema due to 90s nostalgia, and people being eager to get out once restrictions lift. But yeah it's mental. Of all the hills to die on, a game adaptation being successful in the cinema isn't one.....and during a ****ing pandemic no less.

Here be a calm evening to hit the high seas and plunder some booty.

s9WkQda.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm watching it right now on HBO MAX. No need for piracy. 15 dollars per month

Aye, but then you've to go messing about with free VPN's or pay for a decent VPN in order to use it. It's 2021, things should be easier to access, not harder!

I'm off to listen to Alestorm and Rumahoy for inspiration.

This VPN posting should be banned tbh. We shouldn't have to go to that length to watch something officially.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Folks no talk about piracy or bypassing regional restrictions please, as per forum charter.

This VPN posting should be banned tbh. We shouldn't have to go to that length to watch something officially.

Warner is releasing all its movies on Hbomax at the same time as the cinema totally free of charge. This started with Wonder Woman 1984 on Christmas day. Hbomax is barely a year old and they are doing this to promote the streaming service.

Typically these movies are hbomax exclusive for a month. Going on the movies released since Christmas I would guess this movie will be available in 30 days if you are willing to pay the price.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Warner is releasing all its movies on Hbomax at the same time as the cinema totally free of charge. This started with Wonder Woman 1984 on Christmas day. Hbomax is barely a year old and they are doing this to promote the streaming service.

Typically these movies are hbomax exclusive for a month. Going on the movies released since Christmas I would guess this movie will be available in 30 days if you are willing to pay the price.

But Justice League was available on Sky Cinema same day as released in the US, while Godzilla v Kong was available to rent on Google Film here same week it was released in US.

This film should at the very least be available today to rent on Google Film just like GvK was.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

But Justice League was available on Sky Cinema same day as released in the US, while Godzilla v Kong was available to rent on Google Film here same week it was released in US.

This film should at the very least be available today to rent on Google Film just like GvK was.

Exactly my thoughts. I'd happy sign up to HBOmax if it was available here, but it's not. Why not have it up to rent on Sky, iTunes or YouTube (Google Play Movies going the way of the dodo soon)?

Justice League wasn't made for the cinema & if you have seen Godzilla you'd understand why they didn't hold it back.

Edit: a quick Google search says Godzilla was released in the US before Ireland

Exactly my thoughts. I'd happy sign up to HBOmax if it was available here, but it's not. Why not have it up to rent on Sky, iTunes or YouTube (Google Play Movies going the way of the dodo soon)?

Wait, Google Play Movies is on the way out!? What about my library. :eek:

In all seriousness I assume it will be similar craic to Google Music, YouTube will launch a movie app my library will transfer to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I enjoyed this, it does exactly what it says on the tin. Nice nods to the game and some proper hardcore gore too.
    Kano is a gem.
    Not a bad way to pass 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Wait, Google Play Movies is on the way out!? What about my library. :eek:

In all seriousness I assume it will be similar craic to Google Music, YouTube will launch a movie app my library will transfer to?

Oh no, that's an overreaction on my part. The app will be leaving a lot of devices (tv's and such), but your purchases and rentals will still be fully available through the YouTube app (as they are now). They both do the same thing really. If I rent anything, I always watch it on the YouTube app anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

nix wrote: »
    It boggles the mind doesnt it? Especially in this day and age, they are pretty much making the decision to be robbed to piracy by doing this, i have no idea why they would do it, its insanity to me :eek:

I'm based in Spain, and my family (because of lockdown) have HBO, Disney+, Netflix and Amazon.... and this movie isn´t an option....
    stunned.

Aye Aye Cap'n

• Registered Users Posts: 28,879 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Really enjoyed that and hope it gets a sequel
    Forget all the obvious references, the one that really brought back memories was the bit with constant leg sweeps followed by "Is that the only move you know?"
    Though a wee bit confused about the actual tournament since all these fights were prior to the tournament but Liu Kang said they wouldn't see a new moon before the tournament. So that means the events of this film and now going to find more fighters all has to take place in less than a month at most?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It was.... okay.... I guess....

I mean it could have been worse. Could have been a hell of a lot better though. The CGI was very ropey throughout, some of the acting was atrocious (Raiden in particular) and most of the fight scenes were pretty bland. And while most of the MK references were fun and cheesy, some were shoved in so badly that they were just annoying.

It looked pretty good from the trailers. Unfortunately as is often the case, they contained all the best bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Mortal Kombat 2021 is an awesome bad movie that's great fun to watch but so disappointing in what it could have been. The opening scene which was released online is pure gold, but sadly it's down hill after that due to weak story and some god awful acting.

The main character and focus of the film Cole, is just so god dammed bad and what's worse, he's just boring to watch is a pity as the actors playing Sub-Zero and Scorpion are amazing, Sonya and Jax are great and Kano is an off the chart's scene stealing beast.

Who ever edited the trailer is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

just watched it on my dodgy box, was great craic, some atrocious acting , lots of gore . 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watching it now and I gotta to say that Mileena actress has quite the ba-donk-a-donk :pac: (or unless that was just a stand in for her near the start)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I enjoyed it. It's not exactly a thinking film of course but it's great fun. The actor for Cole Young is weak though but Kano and Taslim as Sub Zero make up for it. Should have got Iko Uwais to be the main guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Finished it there and it's a pretty decent movie. Felt it dipped a little about 25% in but picked up and solid by the end.

Worth a watch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

titan18 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. It's not exactly a thinking film of course but it's great fun. The actor for Cole Young is weak though but Kano and Taslim as Sub Zero make up for it. Should have got Iko Uwais to be the main guy.

Nail on the head there, weak weak actors all around (the only pass is sub zero and scorpion)and Cole seemed to be made for Iko Uwais. Its also a bit nonsensical.....
    they go through all this to not have a tournament and only to have a 1 on 1 tournament. CGI was also a bit ropey in places.

Having said that I watched the 90's film at least twice in the cinema and enjoyed the game so loved it..... fighting scenes were good, Easter eggs were plenty (if not a little shoe horned in).

Solid 6.5/10 for me....... 7 if your of a certain age

• Advertisement

Fine paint-by-numbers movie which was expected given the source material

The refreshingly-written non-PC Kano part played by the Aussie actor was the most memorable thing about it

Fine to pass a bit of time but ultimately forgettable very quickly

Advertisement