Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POI for the Coroners Society of Ireland, Nphet’s figures for deaths may be innacurate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Valhallapt wrote: »
    So prime time study attributes 3,200 deaths due to covid disease. NEPHET attributed 4,800 deaths to covid.

and if you listen to Michael levitt we're down on deaths. Nothing more than a mild flu season.

Which expert can you believe. :confused:

Someone is running a numbers game on us, the question is who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

and if you listen to Michael levitt we're down on deaths. Nothing more than a mild flu season.

Which expert can you believe. :confused:

Someone is running a numbers game on us, the question is who?

Well there are plenty of crack pot covid deniers out there.

I don’t think cso or NEPHET are deliberately misleading anyone. But we need more transparency from NEPHET

I don’t think cso or NEPHET are deliberately misleading anyone. But we need more transparency from NEPHET

I don't think the cso have published last year's data yet but when it comes to NPHET they shouldn't be allowed present anything to the media. Their Covid daily deaths have to be wrong or we have a gigantic problem, they're constantly calling out Covid deaths in the fully vaccinated, well I don't know if they are maybe they didn't get vaccinated hence they died of Covid, numbers aren't tallying with other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So is it fair to say that the virus has caused far fewer deaths in Ireland than has been reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

So is it fair to say that the virus has caused far fewer deaths in Ireland than has been reported?
    3200 vs 4800+, yes I would say that is fair. Also, Covid deaths from many weeks ago keep being added to the 4800 so the gap may well increase.

It is absurd that we have to rely on figures sourced from a private sector funeral notice website for a timely estimate of excess deaths. Will we learn from this and change how deaths are registered, I doubt it.

In general, the collection and management of public interest data and communication of information related to same is a problem in this country. At least with the deaths we have rip.ie and will (eventually) have CSO stats. Will we ever know how many people were admitted to hospital/ICU "because of" Covid, unlikely.

Remember near the start of the pandemic the authorities were issuing figures for the number of patients who had been admitted to ICU. Many people , including journalists interpreted this as being the number of people currently in ICU. IIRC NPHET was slow to correct this. They employ PR and media people so should have been aware of it. This was either due to poor communication or else manipulation (trying to paint a worse picture by giving cumulative figures)

• Advertisement

If you go from January to January yes, it's not how NPHET or Prime time presented the figures though. I really felt that it was to undermine the story related to this thread, also bad press about coroners yesterday, more fact check cancel culture at play.
    We don't seem to have excess deaths on the January to January especially when you go look at the figures for the last bad flu season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Yes about time this point was raised. The daily death figures are not close to accurate. The difference is died FROM covid vs died WITH covid. I know personally two such cases, one was a 45 year old relative who had terminal cancer, he was given weeks to live and must have got covid in the hospital or when he came home to die from a visitor, covid did not kill him cancer did. Another case is an elderly lady who got covid and seemed to make a good recovery, but had a fall after and died in hospital a few days later. Covid didn’t kill her the fall did.

However, at a given time less than 1% of people have Covid, so if more than 1% of dead people have Covid then it is likely contributing to their demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If you go from January to January yes, it's not how NPHET or Prime time presented the figures though. I really felt that it was to undermine the story related to this thread, also bad press about coroners yesterday, more fact check cancel culture at play.
    We don't seem to have excess deaths on the January to January especially when you go look at the figures for the last bad flu season.

Has the CSO released the figures yet for 2020? I’m curious where you’re getting the numbers from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

NPHET should be held accountable for the lies and constant scaremongering, absolute and utter scum of the earth along with the dispicable government, they've decimated this country with the longest lockdown in Europe, inhumane and draconioan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

MadYaker wrote: »
    Has the CSO released the figures yet for 2020? I’m curious where you’re getting the numbers from.

Only up till Q2, next set will be Q3/Q4 so will exclude a lot of deaths that happened in Jan/Feb after the Christmas surge (expect the usual to say it was a bad flu year despite the constant lockdowns keeping viruses at bay).

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    Only up till Q2, next set will be Q3/Q4 so will exclude a lot of deaths that happened in Jan/Feb after the Christmas surge (expect the usual to say it was a bad flu year despite the constant lockdowns keeping viruses at bay).

What viruses did they keep at bay, the flu disappeared but your run of the mill coronaviruses never went away and are still prevelant as ever, I've a 3yr old not allowed into creche as she's a mild head cold, creche said she needed to go for a Covid test and could come back in 14 days, I've given her two antigen testes and both negative, they're not as intrusive as the HSE tests I wouldn't put her through it, when are we going to get back to where every little cough or sniffle isn't suspected Covid, it's gone bonkers. Viruses are still about, masks, distancing, constant handwashing, lockdowns are doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭karlitob

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Strange to just have a fall after being in hospital for a serious infection.

How do you know they were even included in the covid death figures?

At the end of the day, died with v from covid is a red herring to the impact covid is having on hospitals and infection control etc

Falls are multi factorial is cause.

Any infection can be a risk factor for a fall.

Falls don’t kill people - the landing does. Hip fracture or acquired brain injury. While the ABI is more straight forward in its causation of death, a hip fracture less so. We don’t know whether the fracture leads to death or whether deterioration was happening and the fractured hastened it.

So you know 30% of people who suffer a hip fracture are dead in a year and 40% who get on w in hospital are dead in 4 months.

So death is often cardiorespiratory arrest secondary to pnuneonia secondary to a hip fracture secondary to a fall where risk factors include recent infection, age, lower limb weakness and macular degeneration.

Once you don’t die of a single disease in a healthy person (infection in a young 30 year old) or swim thing traumatic (car accident) or something congenital (cystic fibrosis) then the cause of death really is hard to determine. The actual cause is clear but the contribution of risk factors is hard. You die from MS but you really die from the consequences of MS.

What viruses did they keep at bay, the flu disappeared but your run of the mill coronaviruses never went away and are still prevelant as ever, I've a 3yr old not allowed into creche as she's a mild head cold, creche said she needed to go for a Covid test and could come back in 14 days, I've given her two antigen testes and both negative, they're not as intrusive as the HSE tests I wouldn't put her through it, when are we going to get back to where every little cough or sniffle isn't suspected Covid, it's gone bonkers. Viruses are still about, masks, distancing, constant handwashing, lockdowns are doing nothing.

Your GP would’ve advised whether a test is required or not. Show up to crèche with your daughter if the GP says it’s not required.

And clearly ‘viruses are still about’ but no one suggested that infection prevention and control would wipe out this virus. Ever.

The rate of the winter stain of flu is much much much lower this year than it ever has been. Obviously infection prevention and control procedures have had an effect on flu. IPC is for all pathogens not just coronaviruses.

NPHET should be held accountable for the lies and constant scaremongering, absolute and utter scum of the earth along with the dispicable government, they've decimated this country with the longest lockdown in Europe, inhumane and draconioan.

How do you suggest that these accusations are proved?

What actions do you suggest to hold them accountable?

Can NPHET be blamed for all the ‘decimation’ all countries or are they in cahoots with other countries elite?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What infectious viruses did social distancing keep away for the last year? Dude, go and look it up, there is a multitude, then go look up the death rate of those, call it a research project.

There is a lot of idiots out there calling 2020 a bad flu year not realising that the death rate was kept down by lockdowns, we saw over Christmas the case count shot up, then a few weeks later the death rate shot up, there is no "correct" level of opening that would lead to "bad flu" year (and again, anyone claiming as such can pretty much have their opinion discounted).

The CSO will release it's numbers and we can draw some conclusions from there, unfortunately it will be the Q1/Q2 2021 numbers that will inform the full picture (but again some anti lockdown people will try and use the 2020 Q3/Q4 numbers to incorrectly justify their positions).

Great to see countries start opening up safely as vaccinations take effect.

It’s certainly confusing. However the fact that they quote WHO guidelines when explaining how a probable or possible death is to be recorded weakens the idea of oversimplification.

A full period of recovery from Covid precludes a death from being recorded as a Covid death.

It seems that Ireland decided on a method of recording Covid deaths from the outset, and when WHO guidelines were issued last April we implemented some of them - as we began including probable/possible cases - but understandably perhaps, from a scientific or data-collection point of view, we continued the method of initial reporting of recording deaths with a confirmed positive lab result as a basic.

This document also sheds some light on coroners part in reporting deaths;

https://hse.drsteevenslibrary.ie/ld.php?content_id=32848220

Be interested to know how many coronial pms are done and local pms when all this is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

when are we going to get back to where every little cough or sniffle isn't suspected Covid,.

When are people going to stop going to work or sending their kids to school when they are sick and thus spreading various illnesses around to everyone else?

. Viruses are still about, masks, distancing, constant handwashing, lockdowns are doing nothing.

Really? Complaining about people washing their hands too much? ffs. No wonder everything is full of germs the whole time.

Masks stop you spitting bits of saliva or anything else in your mouth on other people. That stops the transfer of germs to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

When are people going to stop going to work or sending their kids to school when they are sick and thus spreading various illnesses around to everyone else?

Really? Complaining about people washing their hands too much? ffs. No wonder everything is full of germs the whole time.

Masks stop you spitting bits of saliva or anything else in your mouth on other people. That stops the transfer of germs to people.

We're now a nation of germaphobes..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

karlitob wrote: »
    How do you suggest that these accusations are proved?

What actions do you suggest to hold them accountable?

Can NPHET be blamed for all the ‘decimation’ all countries or are they in cahoots with other countries elite?

Right now you cant,but the truth about all of this will eventually comeout, it always does, half the deaths marked down as covid just to frightgen the public to death were elderly people who were dying anyway.

Last year i along with many others were called "conspiracy theorists" for suggesting that there would be a digital vaccine passport in 2021, NPHET were in favour of this, and guess what it's happening.

i could do and on and on

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

Right now you cant,but the truth about all of this will eventually comeout, it always does, half the deaths marked down as covid just to frightgen the public to death were elderly people who were dying anyway.

Last year i along with many others were called "conspiracy theorists" for suggesting that there would be a digital vaccine passport in 2021, NPHET were in favour of this, and guess what it's happening.

i could do and on and on

The fact that you are talking about digital vaccine passports makes me think you are looking at conspiracy web sites?
    What do you see as the issues with vaccine certs, paper or digital?

• Advertisement

i could do and on and on

Firstly I presume to u mean “right now YOU can’t, not me.”

Secondly you didn’t answer any of my questions.
    I’ll repeat
    - What accountability do you suggest?
    - what accusation are you making?
    - how and who will prove it?

They are professionals who are entitled to the same employment law as you.

I haven’t mentioned conspiracy theories to you, nor have I asked anything remotely like that. I’m not sure why you’re bringing it up.

Your GP would’ve advised whether a test is required or not. Show up to crèche with your daughter if the GP says it’s not required.

So the GP advised the child has a snotty nose, does not require a covid test and can return to creche immediatley.
    Creche have said no she can't, has to be sympton free of covid for 48hrs, I'm really stuggling to get past it's not covid thing to them, there's no one in the creche with it, there's no one at home with it and the doctor says it's not covid.

Even if I play into the cult and get her a covid test after 3 negative antigent tests and a doctors confirmation she still can't retun if she has any symptons.

Seriosuly questinioning peoples intelligence at this stage. Absolutely no way we can get through next winter with this kind of crazy still going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

So the GP advised the child has a snotty nose, does not require a covid test and can return to creche immediatley.
    Creche have said no she can't, has to be sympton free of covid for 48hrs, I'm really stuggling to get past it's not covid thing to them, there's no one in the creche with it, there's no one at home with it and the doctor says it's not covid.

Even if I play into the cult and get her a covid test after 3 negative antigent tests and a doctors confirmation she still can't retun if she has any symptons.

Seriosuly questinioning peoples intelligence at this stage. Absolutely no way we can get through next winter with this kind of crazy still going on.

A runny nose is specifically listed as a reason to keep a child at home from creche for at least 48 hours.

I don’t have any answers for you. You’ve to fight your own battles. If you’re GP has advised that she doesn’t require Covid test and can return to crèche then stand in the crèche until your child is accepted into a service that you have paid for. They are not health care professionals and have no authority to make these decisions. Of course they just protect other children but it is unreasonable - and beyond they’re scope of practice - to disagree with a healthcare professional and would have to justify why. All the advice you need is here.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/childcareguidance/

Specific guidance below. If you give an undertaking as described in photo that is all is required.

Also - if she doesn’t have Covid - how can she be symptom free from it for 48 hours.

Tusla regulate them - make a complaint. The state pays for ecce - make a complaint. Your TD is there for you - make a complaint. The HSA - make a complaint. Parents Council - make a complaint.

And they can deal with the beurocratic fallout from these issues for the sake of bringing a child back to school with sniffles - which is normal - just because some person with no knowledge of anything related to healthcare has deemed someone unsafe.

I don’t doubt the pain in the arse something like that is.

And can I add. Everyone has rights but everyone has responsibilities also. If you’re satisfied that you are complying with lockdown and general IPC requirements; if you are satisfied that you went to the GP and have been assured, then the crèches rights don’t trump your child’s. And the crèche needs to identify how they meet their responsibility to your child in that instance.

Forgot this

Bavarian puppet presentation for the benefit of young schoolchildren to test for corona using disposable tests:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EqaSBurX0

Germans are pragmatic people as a rule.

Forgot this

That's all good advice thanks, hopefully won't come to it but I'll be making a complaint next week if does, I can't stay off work and I'll be dammed if i'm going to keep paying for the pleasure.
    It's time to allow rapid antigen tests if they don't trust parents at least let doctors do them if they feel it's even necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

That's all good advice thanks, hopefully won't come to it but I'll be making a complaint next week if does, I can't stay off work and I'll be dammed if i'm going to keep paying for the pleasure.
    It's time to allow rapid antigen tests if they don't trust parents at least let doctors do them if they feel it's even necessary.

go get a proper test, you'll have the results tomorrow

go get a proper test, you'll have the results tomorrow

I'd argue the test that can tell an active infection is the proper one.
    Doctor should be enough once they say it's not required.

• Advertisement

I'd argue the test that can tell an active infection is the proper one.
    Doctor should be enough once they say it's not required.

Doctor is wrong

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/school-and-covid-19/when-you-should-keep-your-child-home.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement