Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobiles in the workplace.

Options
  • 22-04-2021 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭

They've been a long time problem here.
    Finally top level have taken steps to stamp it out.

Boxes on a wall,
    locked at 8.02
    Open at 9.58 - locked at 10.22

Open at 12.58 - locked at 2.02

Open at 4.58.

Workers were blatantly standing with their phones scrolling, there was only so many times you can keep saying "put away the phone" .

Now theres a system of measures in place if a worker is found with their phone on them during work hours.
    A lot of resistance (mumbling&grumbling so far) about this, but i dont think there was any other option. The few taking the pi$$ ruined it on everyone else.

Surely this kind of rule is commonplace in workplaces?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is the phone insured while in the box? Would be better to have in place a policy if you were warned 3 times about phone use you were dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

What if someone calls you lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I can see a lot of people bringing in old phones to put in your box then discreetly do their thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

TheW1zard wrote: »
    What if someone calls you lol

You can't talk, you're at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I can see a lot of people bringing in old phones to put in your box then discreetly do their thing

That has been mentioned a few times by the 'rebels' ...... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Hate to work there

Is the phone insured while in the box? Would be better to have in place a policy if you were warned 3 times about phone use you were dismissed.

Phones cant be gotten at during the locked times.
    See thru boxes, on a magnetic time lock, in full view (but away from) of the workers .

It is a verbal, then written, then dismiss situation.

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Hate to work there

Most workplaces are/should be like that now?

people are so addicted to the bloody phones.... Zombies...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭tscul32

That's what the rebel kids in my son's school were doing

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

And this will only work for the people who weren't on their phone all the time as the others wouldn't manage to be discreet!

• Advertisement

If it effects actually working, so be it but was there an official policy in place before this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

greenspurs wrote: »
    Surely this kind of rule is commonplace in workplaces?

I have had quite a number of jobs. In retail you were never "allowed" to have your phone on you but you'd still keep it in your pocket. Never had a job that demanded you put it in a time lock box.

What kind of job you got? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

KaneToad wrote: »
    You can't talk, you're at work.

Yeah but what happens if it's the creche/school or elderly parents etc that need to contact you?

Yeah but what happens if it's the creche/school or elderly parents etc that need to contact you?

They ring reception.

If it effects actually working, so be it but was there an official policy in place before this?

It did.
    People leaving phones in crates going to customers, watching videos in toilets and staying in there for 10-15 mins.

People ruined it for themselves by being stupid about it.

You can only tell people to "Put it away" so many times before action has to be taken.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Everyone where I work have work mobiles, so people are constantly on one phone or another

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The world existed before mobile phones. They can ring the reception with an urgent message.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

I worked in one place where you couldn't have a visible phone on the office floor so you had to keep it in your handbag or I guess coat or trouser pockets for men. But people were still allowed to have their phones to go outside and make a call in an emergency. There will come a day when someone needs to be contacted about their child in an emergency and this won't end well then.

greenspurs wrote: »
    It did.
    People leaving phones in crates going to customers, watching videos in toilets and staying in there for 10-15 mins.

People ruined it for themselves by being stupid about it.

You can only tell people to "Put it away" so many times before action has to be taken.

They always do.

Is there a policy however and a union?

KaneToad wrote: »
    The world existed before mobile phones. They can ring the reception with an urgent message.

Yeah it did but we've been living with mobiles for over 25 years.

If it's an emergency and you are away from your desk (especially if whole team is away for meeting/seminar etc) the receptionist isn't going to search the building for you.

If someone is ringing you to tell you your dad has had a stroke and you need to get to the hospital. Or your 1 year old has had an allergic reaction and gone to the hospital you really don't want to be flaffing about with receptionists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭antimatterx

This is pathetic. These aren't children.

If my workplace did this I'd walk tbh, and so would most of the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What type of workplace is this?
    What was the rationale for putting this in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah it did but we've been living with mobiles for over 25 years.

If it's an emergency and you are away from your desk (especially if whole team is away for meeting/seminar etc) the receptionist isn't going to search the building for you.

If someone is ringing you to tell you your dad has had a stroke and you need to get to the hospital. Or your 1 year old has had an allergic reaction and gone to the hospital you really don't want to be flaffing about with receptionists.

Those are exactly the kind of messages that should go to your manager, who organises safe travel to the hospital for you, and cover for your job. There are plenty of workers who cannot simply walk out, no matter what the personal emergency is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

kippy wrote: »
    What type of workplace is this?
    What was the rationale for putting this in place?

Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Is it one of those places with productivity targets etc?

Wouldn’t happen in my office. They want the work to get done and we’re all grown ups. If it’s a quiet day and someone is on their phone for a while it’s now a big deal. We’re all working from home at the moment and I could spend half the day reading a book as long as everything gets done during the other half.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is this in retail or a factory floor setting?

If its an office setting, and they don't have their internet locked down tighter than [insert your own simile here, many of them are too dirty to post], the distraction will just move.

Wouldn't work somewhere like that, but I've worked in jobs with company provided mobiles for my entire adult life anyway; where such a setup would be counterproductive in the extreme!

Those are exactly the kind of messages that should go to your manager, who organises safe travel to the hospital for you, and cover for your job. There are plenty of workers who cannot simply walk out, no matter what the personal emergency is.

So a manager would be fielding calls from numerous creches (my team alone has 8 creche using parents) when they ring to advise the child has a temperature and they are going to administer calpol? Plus discussing a child's details with a third party??? Best of luck with that, I can't see any manager wanting that hassle.

If the manager can't be contacted the next inline is company director....jesus talk about creating unnecessary work !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

bee06 wrote: »
    Is it one of those places with productivity targets etc?

Wouldn’t happen in my office. They want the work to get done and we’re all grown ups. If it’s a quiet day and someone is on their phone for a while it’s now a big deal. We’re all working from home at the moment and I could spend half the day reading a book as long as everything gets done during the other half.

Same here. I get provided with a work phone and tablet, pay BIK on same, a few newspaper apps, Sky Go on it. So long as the jobs are done the boss is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

This is pathetic. These aren't children.

If my workplace did this I'd walk tbh, and so would most of the staff.

I don't think you're really being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And there are plenty more who can be an adult about it, inform there manager there is an issue they must attend to if serious enough and get on with it.

This is a really poor solution to a problem.

Advertisement