Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

That tweet is interesting, though. I know that path very well, I used to live nearby and it would still be part of my commute if there were a commute. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the change.

https://twitter.com/runningmatters_/status/1383430195680473093

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Slideways

Yes.

And said pedestrians get all butt hurt if you call out and say "runners back' or 'passing on your right'

We are incredibly lucky to have some of the best cycle paths here in perth. The negative side is cyclists (I cycle myself at times) think they have a god given right to do as they please on them. Often passing with in a bees dick of your shoulder. These packs will often be travelling in a group of 10 or more at 45km/h on one stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Slideways

I actually made this sign after a few very close calls, can hang it off the back of my singlet when on the busiest route during the commuter hours

550653.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Cyclists and runners happily exist on cycle lanes in my experience.

The problem is ****ing pedestrians who walk 2/3 abreast or stop for chats in the direction of traffic flow and then get all confused when you call them useless *****.

(1st * = ducking, 2nd * = punts -- I feel very strongly about this)

and the glares you get.

I have said here before- cyclists no problem as they are looking ahead for danger. It is the dog walker or the overweight middle aged wagons walking 2-3 abreast without a care in the world for other users.

I was even thinking it last night running through my local park. On a Sunday evening it tends to be full of low level drug dealers in tinted window SEATs or Fiestas, dope smokers and dog walkers....the dog walkers are the biggest nuisance.

OOnegative wrote: »
    I just don’t get the issues with the whole cycle lane debacle in Ireland, cyclists and runners happily share the cycle paths here and no issues. Obviously bikes get preference, but in the near 4 years I’m here I haven’t experienced one bike user abusing me and asking me to get out of the cycle path. Plus there is a hell of a lot more cyclists here in The Netherlands.

Plenty of times in Holland I have deserved dog's abuse for stepping out in front of cyclists but never a peep. Don't think I would be so patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

and the glares you get.

I have said here before- cyclists no problem as they are looking ahead for danger. It is the dog walker or the overweight middle aged wagons walking 2-3 abreast without a care in the world for other users.

I was even thinking it last night running through my local park. On a Sunday evening it tends to be full of low level drug dealers in tinted window SEATs or Fiestas, dope smokers and dog walkers....the dog walkers are the biggest nuisance.

You don’t really like people, do you?
    :)

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Funnily enough my wife has made a similar comment in the past..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

That's just cos most people are pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

That's just cos most people are pricks.

I think most people are lovely. Soft and cuddly.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OOnegative wrote: »
    I just don’t get the issues with the whole cycle lane debacle in Ireland, cyclists and runners happily share the cycle paths here and no issues. Obviously bikes get preference, but in the near 4 years I’m here I haven’t experienced one bike user abusing me and asking me to get out of the cycle path. Plus there is a hell of a lot more cyclists here in The Netherlands.

If everyone ran/walked/cycled on the left and overtook on the right I dont see any problems, but if everyone is doing random things at very different speeds its a recipe for disaster imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Problem in Ireland there is small group in each group that gives every group a bad name.

I love this one

"If the car can't stop in time, its going to fast" but if a cyclists can't stop in time "Its someone else fault"

Why groups of people on the footpath (runners and walkers) will not break their line of 3 to let the other person coming the opposite way by I never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

What about other runners? Some runners hate me running with my dog (who runs beside me and is very good on the lead) and most of them insist i go out on the road, even if they're facing the oncoming traffic (i usually do anyway just to avoid hassle). its tough going sometimes but i'll get over itOthers give me a big encouraging smile and a thumbs up. .

I do think if you're facing oncoming traffic it is easier to step out onto the road or cycle lane if necessary. its very difficult looking behind you because the odd serious runner in front of you is out training and doesn't give a ****.

Beanstalk wrote: »
    What about other runners? Some runners hate me running with my dog (who runs beside me and is very good on the lead) and most of them insist i go out on the road, even if they're facing the oncoming traffic (i usually do anyway just to avoid hassle). its tough going sometimes but i'll get over itOthers give me a big encouraging smile and a thumbs up. .

I do think if you're facing oncoming traffic it is easier to step out onto the road or cycle lane if necessary. its very difficult looking behind you because the odd serious runner in front of you is out training and doesn't give a ****.

I am very nervous of stepping out into a cycle lane, as cyclists don't go just one way in them.

I was running in the park yesterday, person in front of me walking the bridge, about 3 meters wide, she had her dog on the extended lead covering the width of the bridge so i couldn't get by. I said "sorry" and she she said i have the right to use the full bridge!!!

Now I have a dog, will always keep it away from runners and cyclists etc, but people like that drive me mad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

I am very nervous of stepping out into a cycle lane, as cyclists don't go just one way in them.

I was running in the park yesterday, person in front of me walking the bridge, about 3 meters wide, she had her dog on the extended lead covering the width of the bridge so i couldn't get by. I said "sorry" and she she said i have the right to use the full bridge!!!

Now I have a dog, will always keep it away from runners and cyclists etc, but people like that drive me mad

Those extendable leads should be banned. And there should be a minimum requirement to do dog training & etiquette classes before you get a dog license :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Sounds like she might actually be living under the bridge ;)

I have occasionally come accross similar on confined tracks in the hills. if there is no attempt made to accomodate other people I'll usually grab the middle of the lead and assist the dog over to the same side of the track as the owner. I reckon it's being helpful to re-unite the owner with the brains of the operation :D

ariana` wrote: »
    Those extendable leads should be banned. And there should be a minimum requirement to do dog training & etiquette classes before you get a dog license :(

Extendable leads are ok its the users of them that are the problem.

We have a driving test but does nothing for some people on the road!!!

Beanstalk wrote: »

Amateur...

I passed a guy a few years back out for a run:-

1. With baby in a pushchair
    2. Dog on lead
    3. A toddler on this shoulder
    4. With a rucksack

and going at a fair speed too.

ariana` wrote: »

Yeah there is nothing worse than seeing a dog at one end of a path and the owner at the complete opposite end with a extendable lead especially if is close to dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Seems like this topic deserves a thread of its own (if there isnt a million of them already). Anyone got any random running questions???

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

Seems like this topic deserves a thread of its own (if there isnt a million of them already). Anyone got any random running questions???

Is the runners nod a thing of the past?
    Years ago you'd always get the nod back, nowadays not so much.

It was like a mutual respect, a united club, I feel you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Mar Azul wrote: »

I go full on wave - makes for an embarrassing scenario when the recipient isnt so friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I feel you.
    Deffo running too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I think you have to be running a "certain speed" to get a "runners nod"
    Maybe you have slowed down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

GreeBo wrote: »
    Deffo running too close.

:) stole it from one of my kids in an attempt to be hip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Around where I live I think the runners nod has gained a resurgence. My town is such a size that it fits nicely into local people’s 5km radius. So I’ve seen a lot of the same runners out and about this past year who I probably wouldn’t have seen otherwise.

Although I was in Galway for a night last year and went for a run the next morning and only one person acknowledged me en route.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Butterbeans

I'll give the nod if running easy, usually not if doing intervals / TT's.
    Don't get it back a lot of the time......actually it's kind of a nod with a little salute thrown in, it probably looks a little weird, but I'm not for changing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Just wondering are there any low/no carb runners about and what would one eat for fuel during a marathon I’d gawk if I’d to try and eat a gel, and I can’t exactly carry around cheese or avocado!!!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just wondering are there any low/no carb runners about and what would one eat for fuel during a marathon I’d gawk if I’d to try and eat a gel, and I can’t exactly carry around cheese or avocado!!!

TbL

I have won 24 hour races eating precisely nothing. Ate the same for the last marathon I ran, which was a long time ago (I don't do much of the old sprinting any more :) )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Enduro wrote: »
    I have won 24 hour races eating precisely nothing. Ate the same for the last marathon I ran, which was a long time ago (I don't do much of the old sprinting any more :) )

I've not won anything, but my carb intake during running is not something that I have full control over what, how much, or when as it's mostly based on medication and just annoying randomness... But as I've made it round relatively speedy marathons both consuming more carb gels than it's sensible to in a lifetime, and also consuming nothing but water I'd support the theory about it mostly being unnecessary.

I'm currently using Kendal Mint Cake as my emergency sugar dose which I carry. Not as easy to digest at speed, but higher sugar content per gram so I can carry more emergency supplies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Enduro wrote: »

Thanks

I was hoping you’d respond.

If I do get back to “sprinting” that the approach I’ll adopt

TbL

Advertisement